Chapter 1: Welcome to Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil: The World Tree

“What’s wrong Jihyo? You look like a zombie.”

 

“I’m dead tired. The projects kept pouring in, people keep making mistakes and I have to rectify it for them, bosses giving me a hard time, it’s so stressful!”

 

“Aww poor Jihyo” Mina says as she pats Jihyo’s head softly, sympathising with her.

 

“Minari, what will you be doing this weekend?”

 

“Gaming, of course. There is this game that I have been addicted to. It’s called [Yggdrasil: The World Tree]. Have you heard of it?”

 

“I have seen the advertisements for it. I wanted to hang out with you though…”

 

“You can hang out with me in the game! Come on Jihyo, play with me.”

 

“I am not good with games, I think I’ll just spend my time sleeping during the weekends.” Jihyo rejects.

 

“I can help you, guide you, teach you! Jihyoooo play with me.” Mina whines with a higher tone and pleaded with her puppy eyes.

 

Jihyo gives a slight nod as she gives in. No one can resist that voice + puppy eyes combo.

 

 

“Jihyo, watch your back, we are surrounded by slimes!” Mina warns as she skilfully eliminates the enemies in front of her.

 

“What? What do I do?” Jihyo panics as she spams the attack keys and tries to kill the slimes with her default sword.

 

[You are dead. You will be revived at the nearest town.]

 

“NO!” Jihyo screams as she slams her keyboard.

 

“It is your first time playing, don’t worry. You will get better.” Mina reassures Jihyo as she finishes the remaining slimes. “I’ll meet you in town.”

 

“Fine.” Jihyo pouts and waits for her character’s revival.

 

“UGH NO! I died again!” Jihyo throws her arms up and leans back.

 

“Patience, Jihyo.” Mina chuckles as she manoeuvres through the hoard of monsters and swiftly killing them off with her weapons and skills.

 

“Minari, I have decided. I will take the next week off to grind. I will definitely be able to survive against [Malekith the Accursed]!

 

 

[Malekith the Accursed] is one of the bosses in the game. He is the ruler of [Svartalfheim] the land of dark elves. [Malekith the Accursed] is a dark mage who uses witchcrafts and dark-element magic. By killing [Malekith the Accursed], the player will be able to proceed to [Helheim], the Underworld located below [Niflheim].


 

Day 1

 

Jihyo is grinding in the forest near [Midgard], a Human Kingdom with her iron sword.

 

“Hmph! The monsters in the forest are no longer a match for me. Where should I go next?”

 

Jihyo ponders and remembers a guide that she read last night. “The Cave of Ymir!”

 

 

Day 2

 

Jihyo is buying some potions for her fight with Jörmungandr, the sea serpent that is guarding the ocean. By defeating Jörmungandr, she will be able to travel to the other kingdom.

 

She has been watching videos of people fighting against Jörmungandr and she believes that she can kill it at ease with her new weapon – Toxic. A weapon that applies poison to the enemy which will slowly shave off its health.

 

 

Day 3

 

With the defeat of Jörmungandr, Jihyo travelled to [Muspelheim], the fiery land. Her target in [Muspelheim] is [Emperor Surtr]. [Emperor Surtr] has a rare chance to drop his sword [Flaming Sword] one of the best sword in [Yggdrasil: The World Tree].

 

Jihyo is determined to get her hands on the sword.

 

 

Day 4

 

After a battle with [Emperor Surtr], Jihyo realised that she needed a new armor to defend herself from the flame.

 

She spent half of the day to hunt for a heat-resistant armor set [Flamebreaker].

 

For the rest of the day, she either headed back to the town to purchase potions or grinded at the palace of [Emperor Surtr] while waiting for him to spawn.

 

 

Day 5

 

Lucky for Jihyo, the [Flaming Sword] dropped on her 17th attempt of defeating [Emperor Surtr].

 

She quickly left for [Niflheim] to kill [Nidhug], the Frost Dragon Guardian.

 

With her [Flaming Sword], she defeated [Nidhug] with ease.

 

Finally, she can proceed to [Svartalfheim] for [Malekith the Accursed].

 

 

Day 6

 

Her first attempt with [Malekith the Accursed] ended badly with her defeat.

 

Clenching her teeth, Jihyo went to the market to purchase [Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi], a [Divine-Class Sword].

 

Day 7

 

“Jihyo? Jihyo, are you still playing Yggdrasil?”

 

Silence

 

“Jihyo?! JIHYO!” Mina rush to Jihyo’s side and nudge her, trying to wake her up as she saw Jihyo lying face down on her keyboard, surrounded by boxes of energy bars and cartons of energy drinks.

 


Somewhere Else

 

“W-where am I?” Jihyo opened her eyes to a white ceiling which does not scream her room. The last memory that she had was of her defeating [Malekith the Accursed]. She sits up and stretches her limbs, observing her surroundings. She notices something sitting on a desk.

 

‘A laptop? What is it doing there?’ she thought as she cautiously approaches the object.

 

She pulls the chair out of the desk and sat on it. The laptop automatically switches on and showed a text box, prompting her to type her name.

 

Jihyo followed the instruction on the screen and typed her name into the text box. As soon as she pressed [Enter], a pop-up appeared with the following text:

 

 

Welcome to Yggdrasil!

 

My name is Aesin, the Supreme God of Yggdrasil.

You have died in your old world and I, the Supreme God of Yggdrasil have chosen you to be the saviour of this world.

 

 

Yggdrasil consist of nine lands:

 

Midgard – The Kingdom of Humans

Svartalfheim – The Empire of Dark Elves

Asgard – The Empire of Strength

Niflheim – The Land of Ice and Snow

Muspelheim – The Fiery Land of Flame

Alfheim – The Sanctuary for Light Elves

Jotunheim – The Port City for Trades and Information

Vanaheim – The Kingdom of Magic and Sorcery

Helheim – The Undead Empire

 

 

Some of them are at war with one another, some are watching at the neutral, some are plotting to conquer Yggdrasil.

 

I shall give you a quest. Bring peace to Yggdrasil. Find the [Seed of Yggdrasil].

 

I, the Supreme God shall grant you some skills and abilities that should be of use to you. Make your selections by entering them into the text box below. Be warned that you may not make any changes to your selections. Once chosen, it is final.

 

Jihyo was shocked. The world that she had reincarnated into is similar to the game [Yggdrasil: The World Tree]. She regained composure and picked up skills and abilities that seems that will be useful to her. She was confident in her selections because she has been playing [Yggdrasil: The World Tree] non-stop for past 7 days. She believes that her experience in the game will help her to choose the right skills and abilities. She typed them into the text box and wait patiently for the next instructions.

 

 

Granted.

 

When you wake up, you will be in [Midgard], where the humans reside.

 

Good luck and farewell.

 

 

 

Jihyo starts to feel dizzy and as she passes out, the screen flashes this final message:

 

 

 

 

Do not forget your quest to find the [Seed of Yggdrasil]!