chapter 1

poems for no one
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"She is like the moon
So beautiful and free.
I learned to love her dim light,
Like fallen leaves in spring."

Joohyun continuously taps her pen on her desk as she reads the words she had written on her notebook. Her forehead formed lines in between her eyebrows when every single word had finally processed in her head.

Ever since last week, Joohyun had been writing poems. The reason? She doesn't know.

"Bae Joohyun?"

She lifted her head and was met with Wendy's usual jolly face.

"Yes?" Joohyun placed her pen down and fixed Wendy's hair since it was all over her face.

Wendy smiled before placing down her lunch box on Joohyun's desk, "Let's eat lunch together!"

"Don't we always?" the older girl gave Wendy a questioning look.

"Yeah, but I just wanted to ask you, so can we?"

Joohyun nodded her head, then she closed her notebook before hiding it under her desk.

"That was a beautiful poem," Wendy said.

"You saw it." Joohyun sounded like she was asking a question, but she really wasn't.

"Yep," Wendy grabbed a chair and sat in front of Joohyun, "I noticed something."

"What is it?"

"You had been writing poems a lot lately, is there a reason behind it?" Wendy was slightly smirking.

Joohyun shook her head, "I just felt like writing poems. And I know you're probably thinking I'm dating someone, well, sorry to disappoint, but I'm not seeing anyone," she ended it with a shrug.

Wendy looked her dead in the eyes. It's something she does when she thinks Joohyun is lying and it usually works, but this time it doesn't because Joohyyn is not lying.

She sighed, "Fine, you don't have a boyfriend or a girlfriend."

"Told you. Besides, I would tell you if I did."

"You should! I'd kill you if I found out you're dating someone without me knowing."

Joohyun chuckled. "You can't kill me, Wendy."

"I'll kill you in my dreams or in my head."

The older girl playfully rolled her eyes, "Whatever. Let's eat?"

"Let's first wait for Joy!" Wendy looked around the room to see if there is any sign of Joy being in here.

"The line in the cafeteria is quite long so she might take a while. I hope you're not that hungry," Wendy shot Joohyun an apologetic look.

"Nah, it's fine," Joohyun reassured her.

In the end, they waited for Joy for 15 minutes. As an apology for making Joohyun and Wendy wait, she bought both of them coffees which Joohyun personally needed because she was having trouble keeping her eyes open in class.

-

The final bell finally rings. Everybody in class stood up and started fixing their things. Joohyun was one of them. She grabbed her notebook that was under her desk and shoved it inside her bag.

She felt someone's hand on her shoulder, so she turned around and was faced by Joy and Wendy.

"Are you done fixing your things?" Joy asked.

Joohyun nodded, "How about you guys?"

"Yep. Let's go?" they answered in unison.

Joohyun grabbed her backpack and swung it over her back, "Let's go."

Their walk home was quiet, just kidding, it was the complete opposite of quiet. Joy was talking and talking and talking and once she was done talking she would talk again.

Joohyun heard Wendy's sigh, "When will you shut up, Joy?"

"Never," Joy answered almost immediately, "Anyways, before I was RUDELY interrupted.. have you guys seen Blue Velvet's latest comeback? I think Erene slayed me a little too hard, don't you guys think?"

"Yeah." Joohyun agreed, "She looked amazing, I mean she always does, but she just looked extra gorgeous in BV's latest comeback."

"Ugh, I can't with you guys," they heard Wendy say.

Wendy isn't a huge kpop fan. She listens to their music, but that's all she does. She knows BV's music and she acknowledges it, but that's it. Don't worry, Joy and Joohyun are working hard on making her a huge fan of BV.

Their walk home consisted of mostly Joy's talking and Wendy's endless complains of Joy being too loud.

Nothing uncommon.

Joohyun waved her friends goodbye. Wendy and Joy's houses are a few more blocks away from her's. Joohyun slipped her keys inside the odd shapped hole and twisted.

As usual, she gets greeted by silence and dead air. Her mom and dad had been away for a couple of days now. She loves being alone, but this amount of loneliness is too much for her.

Her feet took her straight into her room. She didn't felt like eating because she already ate lunch with her friends. Once in her room, she immediately threw her bag on her bed and searched inside her bag for the notebook she writes her meaningless poems on.

"Gotcha," Joohyun uttered when she finally got the notebook.

Flipping through the pages of the notebook, she stopped at the latest.

"She is like the moon
So beautiful and free.
I learned to love her dim light,
Like fallen leaves in spring."

She reads the poem a few more times before closing the notebook. Without much realization, Joohyun thought of what Wendy had said earlier.

"You had been writing poems a lot lately is there a reason behind it?"

She personally believes that there aren't any. But then again, Joohyun was never the type of girl that loved reading poems let alone writing poems for no one. Honestly, Joohyun also found this a little bit weird and mind boggling herself.

But she'd like to believe that people do change and this might be one of her changes - writing poems. Who knows?

The possibilities are endless.

Joohyun shrugged all her thoughts and suspicions away. She decided to just scroll down on Twitter.

When scrolling down on twitter she can't help but come across a few inspirational quotes. Honestly, all those inspirational quotes made Joohyun very sleepy.

She was about to fall asleep, but she suddenly got the urge to write something on her notebook.

So write, she did.

"When I opened my eyes in the morning,
I felt like something is wrong.
It felt as if mydreams are better than reality.
Though I can't remember what any of them are."

Joohyun doesn't know what any of what she wrote meant, but she genuinely felt that way this morning. She closed her notebook and placed it on her study desk that she barely used.

For some reason, Joohyun likes sleeping now-a-days, which is odd, considering that she used to think that sleeping is such a waste of time.

She guess people's mindset do change afterall.

For the second time today, she shrugged all her thoughts and went to sleep.

-----

"Wendy, Joy, I don't think I'll be able to walk home with you guys today," Joohyun said before taking a bite of her sausage.

Joy raised a brow, "Why?" she asked. "Are you walking home with someone else?"

"No, silly." Joohyun denied Joy's false accusation, "After class I'll be going straight to the library. I need to do research about my science project."

"Why don't you just do research at home?" Wendy asked.

Joohyun sighed, "My parents aren't home, I'm too lonely in there, I hate it."

"Then come to my house, let's research together, right, Joy?" Wendy nudged Joy.

"Agreed," Joy nodded her head.

Joohyun smiled before shaking her head, "I appreciate your kind offer, but I want to read, not copy something from google and paste it on microsoft."

"Well, it's up to you," Joohyun heard Wendy say.

The oldest nodded her head and didn't say anything else. She had made up her mind, she'll be staying in the library later.

They finished their lunches and exactly their math teacher entered their room and started to discuss almost immediately. Joohyun glanced to her left where Joy was sitting and Joy looked like she could kill someone at that moment.

They both hate Math. Wendy hates it too, but she's undeniably very good at it. Which is odd because how can someone hate something, but be really good at it?

To keep things short, Irene didn't understand anything.

Irene tried to keep up, but the X and Y are just too much for her. Why can't they solve their own problems? Why do they have to drag her into this hell hole?

The subjects after Math went surprisingly smooth and easy. Joohyun is really not a horrible student, but she becomes a horrible one when Math comes into the equation.

Without much realisation the final bell rang, indicating that class for today has ended.

She approached Wendy and Joy, "I'll be going straight to the library. See you guys tomorrow?"

They both gave her a nod, "Come home before sunset," Wendy said.

Irene smiled and nodded before walking out her classroom and into their school's library.

"Good afternoon," she heard the librarian greet her when she entered the library.

"Good afternoon," Joohyun greets back.

She went to the Science related section and started to look for books that had specific details about constellations. The task was easy since it was very obvious in the title.

Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide

Nah.

Asap Science.

Joohyun likes their YouTube channel, but she doubts that their book have anything about constellations.

The Blind Watchmaker.

Nawp.

The Book of Beetles.

Ew, bugs.

She Always Forgets.

Her feet came into a complete stop when she first read the title of the book.

Is it all about Amnesia?

Or Alzheimer's disease?

For some reason she became curious and ended up taking it along with all the constellations related books.

One.

Two.

Three.

Joohyun will be reading four books in total including that book with the catchy title. She doesn't waste anymore time, she started reading the books she got, but not the weird book. She'll read that at home.

She was starting to lose touch of reality because she was so immersed with the book she's currently reading, but that didn't happen because her phone suddenly vibrated.

Wendy Boo: Go home, it's already 6:00PM.

Joohyun checked her phone's clock to see if her friend was lying and she wasn't.

Damn, time flew fast.

In total, she read 2 books and ended up putting back the one constellation book she didn't get the chance to read.

She grabs her bag and the book she found earlier - the one with the catchy title.

She told the librarian that she'll be borrowing it for two days so she'll be returning it on Monday because tomorrow is Friday.

Joohyun walked home alone which is something she haven't done in while.

Walking with friends is fun, but sometimes she just have to walk alone to think about just herself.

Once she reached her house, she reached her pocket for her keys. Joohyun opened the door and as usual silence and nothingness greeted her.

Mweh, she got used to it, no big deal.

Just like yesterday, Joohyun went straight into her room. Her body fell into the soft fabric which was her bed and suddenly she gets the urge to read the weird book she borrowed from the library.

She grabs her bag that was on the floor and pulled out the book. She admired it's cover first. She has to say the cover is very simple, but it's undeniably beautiful - a girl is sleeping soundly and she looks like she's floating or something. She was about to open the book, but the growling sound of her tummy stopped her from doing so.

Using her right hand, she pushed herself out of bed. She ran downstairs and searched the cabinets and refrigerator for any food that she could possibly cook.

Due to limited supplies of food. Joohyun decided to just cook Kimchi Fried Rice.

Cooking is something she find enjoyment in. She doesn't know why, but she finds peace in cooking and it is something she thanks her mom for. Mrs. Bae taught Joohyun how to cook at a very young age, so when she grows up, she doesn't rely too much on people to cook her food.

She started singing peek-a-boo, it was Blue Velvet's latest comeback song. The song is really good, but the MV is quite creepy. There's a lot of conspiracy theories about it.

Once she was done cooking, Joohyun transferred the rice on a plate. She grabbed her food and placed on the table and finally, started to eat.

Since it was too quiet and she was lonely, she decided to call Joy.

Joy answered by the 3rd ring.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Can I borrow fifteen minutes of your time?" she asked before taking a spoonful of fried rice.

"Yep. What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I was just lonely." Joohyun answered Joy honestly, "Have you eaten yet?"

"Not yet. Mom is currently cooking dinner. How about you?"

"I'm eating dinner, right now. By the way, I found an interesting book in the library earlier."

"Mhmm? What's the title?"

"She Always Forgets. I found it in the Science related section of the library and I'm thinking it's all about Amnesia or Alzheimer's disease. Have you ever heard of it?"

"Never heard of it. Try asking Wendy, you know that girl knows a lot about books, she's addicted in reading."

Joohyun chuckled, "True. Have you seen the conspiracy theories regarding BV's latest comeback song?"

"Hell yeah. Honestly, all of them are creepy. Only some makes sense."

Joohyun shrugged although she knew Joy wouldn't be able to see it, "Well, all those conspiracy theories don’t matter anymore. What really matter is BV's latest comeback is a huge success."

"Agreed."

They ended up talking for more than 15 minutes. Joohyun lets out a sigh when the call finally ended.

The room once again was filled with unwanted silence.

Joohyun misses her parents. She wished they would come home sooner from their business trip. Although, she's pretty sure when they do come back there'll be no drastic changes, because she'll still be greeted by silence when she comes back from school, but at least they're there at night and someone will actually cook her breakfast and dinner.

Joohyun sighed for the second time. The thought of having a sibling sounded so good to her right now or just anyone, really.

Come to think of it, Joohyun never dated anyone. She tried to, but it never worked out, probably because when they ask her where she wants to go she'll tell them she wants to hangout inside her house, specifically on her bed and they think it's weird and she think they're weird for thinking that what she likes is weird, so they both think they're weird and it doesn't work out because no one wants to date someone weird.

To make things short, dating is a stressful topic for Bae Joohyun. She doesn't even have a crush on someone and people thinks that's odd.

Why is that odd?

Because she's seventeen and single and don't even find anyone interesting enough to actually like them?

"Oh my gosh," she muttered to myself.

Thinking about her love life stresses her out and it also makes her sigh.

Joohyun stood up. She washed the dishes before going up to her room. She plopped down on my bed, feeling somewhat exhausted.

I'm going to read that book tomorrow. I'm soooo tired.

Joohyun stayed true to her words because her eyes started to close on their own.

It doesn't take long for her to enter dreamland.

----

 

"Napoleon Bonaparte was a military general and the first emperor of France who is considered one of the world's greatest military leaders--"

Joohyun stared blankly at her History notebook, her right hand holding her pen. It looked like she was taking notes, but in reality, her mind is floating elsewhere.

She knows that her History teacher is talking, but Joohyun can’t hear her voice.

That’s how uninterested Joohyun is with the topic they were currently discussing.

 

Finally, the bell rang.

Joohyun’s soul came rushing back her body when she heard the loud yet somehow comforting chime.

“Okay, you can take your break, but if you have the time please read the remaining chapters of our lesson,” then Mrs. Park finally left.

Yes, finally!

“Welp, that was boring,” Joy uttered while approaching Joohyun.

“I actually find the subject quite interesting,” Wendy bluntly replied.

Joohyun shakes her head, “I disagree with Wendy and agree with Joy,” the oldest raised her hand and Joy and Joohyun high fived.

The Canadian girl chuckled, “C’mon, folks! Let’s buy some food.”

Luckily, when they got in the cafeteria there weren’t a whole lot of people. They didn’t have to wait in line to buy their food.

They found a vacant table in the cafeteria and decided to eat their food there.

“Hey,” Joy grabbed Wendy’s and Joohyun’s attention.

“You guys knows I’m a member of dance club, right?” Joy asked and the two girls nodded, “Well, we have a new routine and our club president asked us to bring some friends so they can take a look at our new routine and maybe give us some feedbacks.”

“You want us to watch your new routine?” Joohyun asked.

Joy nodded her head and gave the oldest a shy smile.

“I’m in!” Wendy smiled back at Joy.

Both of the girls turned their head to look at Joohyun and hear her answer.

“I don’t really have any choice, do I?” the black-haired girl scratched her forehead.

“Nope!” Wendy and Joy said in unison.

Joohyun sighed.

These two are scary.

--

When the final bell rang, Joohyun immediately packed all her notebooks and books.

“Joohyun! Wendy! Just come later to our club room. You guys knows where that is, right?” Joy didn’t really give her friends any time to speak or reply because she sprinted out the room – fast.

“Joohyun,” Wendy called her, so she looked at the Canadian. “I have to take care of something, so we can’t really go there together. You can go first, okay?”

“Where are you going?”

“I need to ask our adviser something.”

Joohyun nodded her head before walking out their classroom.

Joohyun realised that she needed to kill time because the dance club starts at 4:30 and it’s only 3:30. She walked to her locker and neatly placed her books and notebooks that she doesn’t need to take home with her.

She walked around the school aimlessly. You could tell that she really wanted to kill time.

The beautiful, pale girl was minding her own business when she suddenly sees a group of people in the corner of the school’s court. To be more specific, it was a group of cheerleaders. They seemed to be gathering at something or someone. Out of curiosity, Joohyun decided to check what was happening.

She heard one of the cheerleader speak, but she was still far away from them, so it sounded gibberish. But once she was close enough to hear them, Joohyun instantly knew that whatever was happening needed to be stop.

“Look what you did to Erica’s uniform!” she sounded irritated – very irritated.

“I’m so sorry! It was an accident, I swear!” a girl whom Joohyun didn’t recognize the voice of pleaded.

The girl sounded so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter