The Last Member

Think About it Twice

“Hi, I’m the Dahyun girl.” She says lingering around the door, still afraid to take a step into the room.

 

“Oh, hello Dahyun girl~” Mina says, giggling while mimicking the way Dahyun just called herself. And it scares the younger, even if the raven haired girl was just trying to get the air around them a little less heavier. “My name is Mina, but I guess you know.”

 

“Yes, pretty much everyone knows you guys.”

 

“You’re quite famous yourself…”

 

“That’s why our friends are kind of forcing me into this.”

 

They knew each other, yes, and there was always this heavy aura around them.

 

That was probably what made them think that it was right to “properly” introduce themselves, if it could be called like that.

 

Dahyun and Mina had the same circle of friends, but they had totally opposite personalities. While the japanese looked always bored and like she was about to kill someone, Dahyun was always this happy (loud) pill around her friends and she was probably the one Mina was wanting so bad to murder.

 

It was really awkward to meet her like this, Dahyun kept thinking. Mina was this unapproachable elegant girl, that wouldn't even laugh at any of Dahyun’s jokes. She would only glare at Dahyun from time to time and the younger didn’t like the thought of making someone uncomfortable, and maybe that’s why she refused for so long to accept all of their friends invitation to join the famous cheerleader school group.

 

When she let Momo (another japanese girl) know about the true reason, the girl laughed so hard and proved to Dahyun that Mina was like that with everyone. She proved that even being one of her closest friends, Dahyun could see how Mina barely spoke to Momo in public. It made sense, because if they were friends and Dahyun was really close to Momo, yet barely ever saw Mina in school, that meant that probably Mina didn’t hate Dahyun as much as the girl first thought.

 

Also, Sana (Dahyun was all about japanese and foreign friends) once showed her a piece of audio Mina had sent her before. Dahyun couldn’t believe that a drunk Mina would go on talking about her in one of the Twice’s parties, one of the few Dahyun hasn’t attended.

 

“Well, I saw your eagle dance video. But, hm, I guess the girls told you about our little ritual right?”

 

“Yes… they did…” Dahyun shyly answers, because it hit her just why she was in the room with only Mina and not the other members.

 

“They all thought it would be too easy if you did this with one of them, that’s maybe the reason they tossed me here. And I’m sorry, but it will have to be ballet.”

 

Dahyun heavy sighed, she knew it would be like that. Still, she had some hope that Mina would have some mercy on her poor soul. She was terrified and Mina could sense that, she lightly squeezed one of Dahyun’s hands just to see the girl even more surprised than before.

 

“Don’t worry, okay? I’ll guide you, it won’t be that hard.”

 

“Y- you-”

 

“You know, I could just show you some steps for you to follow. But, our group is all about our confidence and trust in each other. Sometimes is really hard to trust when Chaeyoung gets in the bottom of the pyramid, but that’s how we work.”

 

“Does that mean that-”

 

“Yes, I’ve prepared a choreography and you’ll have to trust me in some moves.”

 

They had the afternoon for practise, and it was way harder than Dahyun imagined.

 

This was the only challenge she would have to face, in order to really get into the cheerleaders major team. Even if she was already pre-selected from all the other members (Mina in secret), they wouldn't break the ritual.

 

Mina didn’t had enough self esteem to understand that the problem wasn't about her, or her methods. The problem wasn’t Dahyun either, her dancing skills weren’t that basic but ballet was hard. Only being held in the air was so much harder than she ever thought too.

 

One of their common traits was clearly stubbornness, but neither Dahyun nor Mina weren’t already aware of it. They spent the afternoon failing in the same steps, Dahyun trying her best to not look as useless as she was feeling and Mina appreciated that in secret. She knew that Dahyun wasn’t all about the happy pill part, she could see through all the fake smiles the girl was giving to her.

 

“Maybe we should stop.” Dahyun said, she was tired and sad sitting on the floor while looking to her reflection in the mirror.

 

She couldn’t face Mina at all, it was too embarrassing.

 

“I have to accept that I don’t belong with you guys.”

 

“Please, don’t say that. It ain’t your fault.” Mina, again, squeezed one of her hands and Dahyun loved just how lightly her fingers were touching hers. “I’ll talk to the girls, okay? You don’t need to do this with me, is actually unfair. I can totally understand how it is uncomfortable for you to be around me.”

 

“What? Why would I be uncomfortable around you?”

 

“Well, hm… They told you about it, didn’t they?”

 

“About what?”

 

“I like girls…” Dahyun was still trying to understand why she should be uncomfortable about anything related to Mina. “I mean, I like boys as well… and, well, that must be really uncomfortable for a christian girl like you and-”

 

“You do realise that I am friend of all the members, right? They’re all either gay or at least bi like you, so I think it’s safe to say that it doesn’t bother me at all.” Dahyun said with a really huge and bright smile, Mina sighed in relief. She really thought that all this time Dahyun was rather avoiding getting closer to her, because she was openly bisual among her friends. “I’m not that straight myself either, I mean… I’ve never kissed a girl, but I’ve been questioning my religion.”

 

“Oh…”

 

Mina wasn’t expecting an answer like that, Dahyun was well known among the girls in the school and she was somewhat flirty with everyone. But, also, she couldn’t remember Momo or Sana telling her that Dahyun could be at least curious. And Mina had to stop all the words trying to climb up on her tongue, because they were all too flirty for her taste and probably way too gross for Dahyun.

 

The girl could admit that she was indeed curious about other girls, but Mina thought she had nothing to do with it. She was so sure of it, actually, and maybe she had never been so wrong in her entire life.

 

“Should we try one last time?” Dahyun asked and thank God she did that, because Mina was so busy trying not to tell something inappropriate that she was staring at the younger lips the whole time.

 

“Of course.”

 

“Can we trade though?” She asked when Mina followed her, they both standing in front of the huge mirror.

 

“You want to guide me?”

 

“Is not that I don’t trust you, believe me, but maybe I’ll be more comfortable leading. I can catch you, I promise. I’m sure I won’t let you fall.”

 

“I trust you.” Mina honestly said, even if Dahyun would let her fall she didn’t care.

 

Nothing could hurt more than falling for a straight girl, that wasn’t as straight as she thought before but still, she could handle falling for Dahyun on the floor too.

 

The younger saw, with expectation, as Mina started to get some distance between them. A smile grew wide in her lips, she was truly filled with a joy that she couldn’t understand. Her hands were trembling, and she was praying that she would indeed have strength to catch and hold Mina in the air.

 

They both were holding their breaths, until Mina finally stopped when she thought the distance was right.

 

“Catch me.” She said and ran just right after.

 

Dahyun was holding a bottle of water, she didn’t quite remember for how long or how it came to her hand, but she soon threw it way when Mina started to run in her direction.

 

First thing Dahyun noticed: Mina was light like a feather.

 

She first got hold of the raven haired girl waist, but when she went higher in the air it was time for her to change. At least, she felt like it. Her hands travelled until they reached the girl’s back, and her hair was so smoothly going down her arms while her feet moved and they started to circle around the room.

 

They were both with these beautiful and sincere smiles on their faces, Mina never felt so free and weightless like that before. She could feel her blood pumping inside her veins and how that tiny hands, with slender fingers, had something to do with all this electricity she felt going through her body. She was looking only at the ceiling, but the lights kept her thinking that she was 30 thousand feet high on the air.

 

She was only wishing that Dahyun could feel the same, but the girl was actually feeling like she was holding a true angel on the top of her hands. Maybe, she thought, kissing and liking a girl didn’t have nothing to do with her religion. She could still have faith, even if she decided to defy God. But it was really defying God, to fall for an angel like Mina?

 

They new that what they just had was some sort of a sacred moment, because that heavy aura that always existed between them was gone in a split of second. Mina was so tremendous happy that she hugged Dahyun in her way down, a clumsy and unexpected hug but the younger loved just how she was met by Mina’s vanilla scent.

 

The camera wasn’t on though and they had to do it again, in order to record and sent the footage to the rest of the Twice’s members.

 

Mina had one idea, as it was sunset time already. She took Dahyun into her secret place, so they could record it.

 

She didn’t regret a bit.

 

That’s how Dahyun got accepted as the new and last member of Twice cheerleader team, the major unit of the school cheerleader club and one of the most known in all Korea.