Minhyuk

MONSTA X One-shots

The Princess and Her Knight

 

A sigh of relief escaped your lips as you stepped foot into your apartment. It had been quite the day. To begin with, waking up without Minhyuk by your side was pretty disappointing. Usually, the two of you got up around the same time; although, this morning had been an exception. He and the boys were called in to practice even earlier due to an upcoming comeback. You understood the situation, but it didn’t make it any easier to deal with. In addition, your alarm didn’t go off. That meant no breakfast as you hurriedly made your way to work. From there it only went down hill.

You were informed by your boss that you needed to stay a little later for the day. You weren’t heading home at 5 o’clock anymore. Your clock in the living room proved that as it displayed 9:47 in big, bold, red numbers. You could agree that it wasn’t the worst day, but it sure took its toll on you. A shower, dinner, and the promise of a whole day off with Minhyuk tomorrow was the only thing you could think about as you took your shoes off. It was the first time in forever that the both of your schedules coincided, and you both planned to take good advantage of it. It would be a day filled with smiles, happiness, and the cuteness of your new puppy as you both spent your time together at the park a few blocks down the street. You couldn’t wait to pack the picnic you decided you would take for lunch. Minhyuk would be sure to stuff it to the brim with yummy snacks.

You ran through a quick list of everything you would need, counting each item off on your fingers. Let’s see. Sandwiches. Drinks. Napkins. Dog treats. Wait a minute… Dog treats… Where is he anyway?

Just as you were about to call out for the little ball of fluff he came running around the corner, sliding across the hardwood floors in the process. “Dubu!”

Your white puppy came running to your feet, immediately putting his front paws on your leg as his tail swung excitedly.

“Did you miss me? Huh? Did you miss your mommy?” you cooed. Reaching down, you scratched behind his ears with one hand while the other reached out towards the couch to set down your purse. “I know I missed you! Mommy hated having to be away from you for so long today. But don’t worry! Daddy and I will take you to the park tomorrow and give you all the love you des—“

You were cut off by the ringing of your phone. Fishing it out of your back pocket, you quickly addressed Dubu again. “That’s probably him now!”

You looked down at your caller ID only to be surprised to see that it was your co-worker calling you instead. “I wonder what she wants…” you whispered to yourself.

“Hello?”

“Y/N! Oh, thank goodness! I’m so glad you answered,” she confessed.

“Is there something wrong?” you asked, eye widening. You were curious as to what had gotten her so riled up.

“I know it’s your day off tomorrow, and I wouldn’t bother you with a request like this if it wasn’t important. Hana got sick at school today.” You sent a quick glance down at Dubu as he looked up at you curiously. Taking a seat on the couch, you prepared yourself for the inevitable. You knew where this conversation was going.

“I took her to the doctor after I got off. He said that she has the flu and can’t go to school for the next few days. My husband’s out of town this weekend, so I’m the only one that can watch her… “ She trailed off as she gathered up the courage to ask you that one question. “I’m so sorry to ask this of you last minute, but is there any way you could cover for me tomorrow?”

You felt bad as you thought about your co-worker’s sweet, five-year-old being sick. The poor girl… Regardless of how much you looked forward to your day off and wanted to tell her “no,” you just knew that you couldn’t. If you had a child you would hope that someone would do the same for you.

“Of course I can,” you finally said.

“Are you sure? I really can try to find some other person if it’s that inconvenient. I’m sure you already have plans…” The guilt was evident in her voice.

“I did, but they can be moved. Hana’s health is way more important anyway. She needs her mom there to take care of her,” you smiled. Even though it was hard to give up a whole 24 hours of freedom, and with Minhyuk nonetheless, you knew that this was the right decision.

“Thank you so much, Y/N. I can’t explain to you how much this means to me. If you ever need a day off then let me know! I owe you.”

“Don’t worry about it! Tell Hana I hope she starts feeling better. Maybe I can stop by sometime next week with a treat for her or something.”

“She would really appreciate that. You’re really the sweetest, Y/N.”

“I wouldn’t say that…” you blushed.

“Don’t be so modest. Well, I’ll talk to you later.”

“Mmm. Talk to you later. Have a good night.”

“You too.”

As you heard the chime go off indicating that the call had ended you let your hands fall to your lap in defeat. “How am I going to tell Minhyuk? He’s going to be so upset.”

You were glad you were able to help out your co-worker. You really were. It was just the fact that you had been looking forward to this day off for weeks now. There’s no telling when you would get another one. All of a sudden the stress of the day came back and hit you full force. Your face and shoulders instantly drooping under the weight, your hands making quick work to wipe your eyes before those pesky tears spilled.

Pulling yourself together enough to get off the couch, you made your way to yours and Minhyuk’s shared bedroom with Dubu right at your heels. After quickly changing into more comfortable clothes you collapsed on the bed: no energy, mental or physical, left to take a shower or make dinner. Just as you climbed underneath the covers you were slightly comforted with Dubu’s presence. He could tell you were upset. The fact that he burrowed in next to you under the covers was evidence enough.

I’ll just take a nap until Minhyuk gets home. Hopefully, a little sleep will help me feel better. With the warmth of your caring puppy and the support of the mattress beneath you, the dream world quickly consumed you.

 


 

You were suddenly awoken by the sound of the front door shutting and Dubu running to the end of the bed.

“Princess! I’m home! Where are you?” Minhyuk shouted from the living room. You stayed silent; the nap didn’t help your mood in the slightest. Thinking back on it now, you were a little upset that a situation like this even had to happen. Why did Hana have to get sick? Why did it have to be this weekend that the two of us were free? Why me? Why? Why? Why? 

Just then Minhyuk popped his head into the room. Dubu quickly jumped from the bed, begging for attention at your boyfriend’s feet. “Dubu! Princess? How was work?”

His smile was always so contagious, but it just wasn’t breaking through your wall of irritation. If anything it upset you a little more. How nice it must be to be unaware of bad news… And it’s going to be all my fault when that look leaves his face… He’s going to be heart broken… He had been just as excited about tomorrow as you had.

When you groaned in response—making eye contact with him for a brief second over the covers before burying your face back in his pillow—Minhyuk made quick notice of your mood and bounded over to the side of the bed.

“Y/N, cheer up! I’m home! You should be excited,” he pouted. He was only prompted to mess with you as you remained silent. Suddenly you felt his fingers digging into your sides from behind. The air left your lungs as you squirmed around, somehow winding up on your back.

Giggles flowed from both of you as he continued his attack. Just as you began to protest, still feeling upset about the problem at hand and hating that he was able to get that kind of reaction out of you, Minhyuk lifted up the bottom of your shirt. The sound of raspberries filled the air as his face pressed into your tummy, and Dubu jumped onto the bed to join in on the fun. Your face and stomach were covered with saliva from both your puppy and boyfriend and it only set you off.

Quickly composing yourself, you protested again in a firmer voice. “Stop it, Minhyuk.”

Your tone quickly caught his attention as he distanced himself. The smile on his face fell.

“You’re upset. I was just trying to make you smile… You know I love seeing you happy…” he confessed. Minhyuk lowered his head and withdrew his hands from your sides. They folded neatly in his lap.

You got angry at yourself for your behavior, but you only directed it at him again.  “Well don’t. That’s starting to get annoying. Instead of sidestepping the problem why can’t you just ask me what’s wrong?”

The tears from earlier gathered in your eyes again. Despite the nap you took, you didn’t have the energy to hold them back anymore. Rivulets ran down your face. Minhyuk didn’t notice until he heard your sniffles. It was then that he looked up and hurriedly enveloped you in a hug.

“Shh… I’m so sorry, princess. I didn’t mean to make you upset.” He ran his hand up and down your back while you nuzzled your face into his chest. Your tears made quick work of his shirt, but neither of you minded. The only thing on your minds were the problems at hand: informing him about tomorrow for you and easing your pain for him.

“What happened, Y/N?” Minhyuk whispered in your ear.

After you controlled your emotions to the best of your ability, you finally explained to him the course of your day from having a rough start in the morning to having to stay a lot later for work. Then you told him about the news you received from your co-worker. You apologized as soon as all of it was off your chest.

“I’m sorry, Minhyuk. I know you were looking forward to tomorrow. So was I, and I’m really sorry about how I treated you earlier. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you.” You began crying again. “I’m such a terrible girlfriend. Please forgive me!”

“Hey! Hey,” he addressed you as he cupped your face in his hands. You always loved the feeling of them. Nothing could compare to the comfort they could provide with just a subtle caress. You leaned into his touch. “My princess can’t be upset. Princesses are only supposed to wear smiles. No frowning or crying!

“I was looking forward to tomorrow, but it’s okay. We can alwa—“ Minhyuk stopped all of a sudden. You realized why when you heard the growling. Looking down you found Dubu nudging his face against your boyfriend’s leg. He released little growls with every effort to push Minhyuk off the bed.

A small chuckle left your mouth. “I think he wants you off the bed.”

“What? Why?” Minhyuk looks at the puppy curiously. “Come on, Dubu. It’s me: Daddy. What did I do to deserve your disapproval?”

Just as Minhyuk reached out with one of the hands that were occupying your cheeks, Dubu snapped at him. “Yah! What’s gotten into you?”

You began laughing at the two of their antics. “He thinks you’re hurting me. If my animal instincts are working properly, I do believe he’s banishing you from this bed and away from me.”

“WHAT?” Minhyuk looked at you incredulously, eyes wide.

“You heard me. As princess of this household, I hereby banish you! Now get off the bed!” you jokingly exclaimed. You began pushing him with both arms, aiding your little protector in his actions.

Minhyuk turned his attention on the puppy now. “You can’t banish me! This is my bed too!

The both of you erupted into a fit of giggles as you tried to calm Dubu down. You didn’t want him to get too caught up in defending you, regardless of how cute and endearing it was. After all, he was just a puppy and he might actually bite Minhyuk if you weren’t careful.

“It’s okay, Dubu. I wasn’t hurting her. I promise.” Minhyuk reaches out to replace your hand on his back that was calming the protective pup. His fingers combed through his fur assuredly. “It’s my job to protect her too.”

You watched the two of them as Minhyuk attempted to kiss the puppy as a means of making amends. The smile on your face only grew. You sure did adore your protectors.

“Hopefully he doesn’t start holding a grudge against you. Although to be sure, I’d start checking your pillow before you go to bed. I’d hate for you to put your face in something that doesn’t belong there.”

“I agree with that!” Minhyuk says as he turned his attention back to you. “But on the bright side, I’m happy he’s so protective of you. It means I can be sure that at least someone will be here to look after you when I can’t be. A princess needs a knight when her prince is away.”