ONE

THE MAN WHO LOVES HER

Nothing could have prepared Jay and Meena for that fateful encounter on that particular early morning that will once again change their lives and spun another tale to their intertwined fate.  

"Tea?" He extended the paper cup to her. 

"Thanks." She grabbed the cup and, without lifting her gaze, she watched him take the seat on the bench next to hers.  

He studied her face attentively. She was much thinner than the last time he had seen her. Even though her eyes hinted anxiety and discomfort, she was nevertheless still beautiful exactly like how he remembered. She held the cup of tea firmly on her lap. She was quiet and not once looking to meet his eyes. There was no doubt that she was uncomfortable being in his company.  

“It's been so long.” He finally spoke after moments of silence. 

“Yes, it has been a while. You really did become a doctor.” She turned to him, and, instantly, became extremely forlorn. She was staring at the face of the man she had once wholeheartedly and foolishly loved beyond every fiber of her soul. “I am proud of you.” A smile crossed her lips.  

Letting out a discrete sigh, he sank back into the bench. The light breeze of the crisp autumn day brushed against his skin. He closed his eyes and savored the scent of the coffee awakening all his senses. He took a sip of the coffee and, slowly, the taste of bitterness took him through a library of fond memories – to all those times and places. Back to a time where his heart learned how to love something greater than anything he had known. A fresh, young face of innocent beauty staring at him was the first thing that came to mind before it started drifting. Suddenly, the warm happy memories were consumed by dark pressing memories that he wished he could buried forever. His body suddenly became rigid and stern with contempt.  

"You live in this area?"  

"No. Yes. I meant, we just moved here not too long ago." She quickly became uneasy at the hint of his tone and looked down at her tea to divert his attention from her discomfort. 

He stared at her sharply trying to analyze her body language in hopes of disclosing answers to the million questions that suddenly bombarded his mind. "That young man back there... the one that was admitted..." 

"He's my younger brother." She quickly turned to him. "I must get going. Thank you for the tea." 

They both got up. His emotions still expressionless. She thanked him again and quickly grabbed her purse.  

She walked away a few steps and, suddenly, halted. "Jay?"  

He looked at her without a slight change in his appearance.  

"It was truly good to see you doing well." I hope you have forgiven me by now, she thought to herself. 

With that, she turned and walked away.