The Window Seat Guy (Jeon Jungkook One-Shot)

The Window Seat Guy

With the moon shining brightly, she excitedly climbed out her friend’s car. She went to the trunk and helped them with her bags. They seemed a little upset the entire ride to the airport. “What’s wrong, Jinyoo?” She looked up at her.

 

“Why do you have to leave me Rey Jaehwa? I’m gonna be so lonelyyyy!” she whined as she clung onto her neck. Jaehwa chuckled at her friend's silliness and detached herself from her as she cupped her pink tinted cheeks.

 

“I’m only staying for two weeks. And there’s a reason why we have technology,” she stated. Jinyoo frowned.

 

“My best friend can’t go to a party with me behind a screen!” Jaehwa rolled her eyes.

 

“Look, Jinnie I’m gonna be late. I’ll text you as soon as I get there, okay?” She frowned and she pulled her into a hug. After a few minutes or so Jinyoo let her go and the two said their goodbyes as Jaehwa inched her way to the entrance.

 

Finally seeing Jinyoo leave, Jaehwa took her suitcase and small backpack to through all the ridiculously long security checks. Sitting down in the rows of black chairs, she pulled out her small cell phone and earbuds, putting on a random Youtube video.

 

“All passengers who are taking Flight BA 1226 please head to Gate F,” a voice on the intercom spoke. Hearing the alert barely, Jaehwa pulled out her earbuds and quickly jumped up, taking her bag with her.

 

Trying her best to remember the gate letter, she frantically rushed her way through the airport before she eyes landed on Gate F that had her flight number one it. Jaehwa dashed to the door, hoping that there was still time left. Lucky enough there was. She showed the man her ticket and he let her in the tunnel that lead to the place she was going to stay for the next fourteen hours.

 

Finding her seat, she slumped down, slightly exhausted and upset. Not only did she not like the long ride but she didn’t get a seat next to the window. Some guy who looked about the same age of her did. He was looking down at his phone, earbuds plugged in. Jaehwa sighed deeply as one of the flight attendants start talking about the safety of the using a life vest.

 

After flight attendant was finished talking, the plane started to move in position to take off. Jaehwa could feel her heart race with some excitement. The only part of the ride she loved more than anything was the lifted off, and the view of course. It was a thing she loved since she was a child. Jaehwa squealed a little as the plane moved up and she tapped her feet a little.

 

Looking at the window, she frowned to see that it was covered. She then looked back the guy, wondering how she could get the window to be shown. Her imagination ran wild until, “Um.. do… y-you need anything?”

 

Hearing him speak in a different accent made Jaehwa’s thoughts stop. Looking at him directly, she could see the way his brown hair was brushed out of his eyes to show a pair of milk chocolate eyes that hid behind a frame of glasses. His pink lips were plump as he had the same shade of pink on his cheeks like Jinyoo.  

 

Blinking, she nodded. “Uh yeah. Could you uncover the window?” He looked over at the window and lifted the shade, uncovering the city lights. She smiled brightly before saying, “Thank you.” The male nodded and muttered, “No problem..” before looking at his phone again.

 

Jaehwa leaned towards the oval glass as she peered through the window. The plane tilted to its side so everyone could view the scenery better. Jaehwa’s eyes sparkled.  Once the plane turned to its other side, she pulled away.

 

Taking a peek at him, she wondered what he was doing on that phone of his that didn’t interest him of what was outside. She knew herself how busy working could be as her own profession as a publisher. It was hard enough with the newbies being stressed out and self-conscious about their work.

 

Being the outgoing person she was, she tapped his shoulder. He looked up, this time looking slightly annoyed. “Hey, there fellow passenger! I’m Rey Jaehwa and I’ll be sitting next to you for the next thirteen hours.” She stuck out her hand, smiling sweetly.

 

Looking at her hand, he shook it skeptically. “I’m... Jeon Jungkook. It nice to meet you.” He then slipped his hand out of hers, pushing his hair out of his eyes, yet again.

 

Jaehwa, thinking of ways to start a conversation, said, “You’re accent kind of gives it away that you’re not from America. Are you Korean?”

 

“Yesh. You a gud guesser,” he complimented. She laughed.

 

“Thank you. Why’d you come to America in the first place? I enjoy escaping that place.” He pushed up his glasses, considering the pros and cons of telling her.

 

“Ah, well, I came to learn more English,” Jungkook said in a short sentence.

“How ‘bout you? Why you going to Korea?”

 

Playing with her hair she answered him. “Oh, I just wanted to go somewhere I haven’t gone before.”

 

“How long you stay for?”

 

“Two weeks.”

 

“Oh okay. I hope you enjoy your stay.”

 

“Thanks.” And then the conversation ended like that. Not feeling like starting it up again, Jaehwa chose a movie on the small tv in the back of the chair after plugging in her earbuds.

 

She watched most of it but soon felt her energy drop once the ending came near. Her heavily eyelids closed shut and Jaehwa soon drifted to sleep.

 

=====

 

Being shook awake by the plane, she slowly opened her eyes. Yawning a bit, Jaehwa sat up a little before looking around. She turned her head to look out the window when she saw Jungkook’s head blocking her view. His head was leaning against the wall as he had fallen asleep by accident.

 

Seeing his laptop open on his lap, she took a peek, curious on what he was doing. To her surprise, it was a story.

 

I took my hand and wiped her sad tears away. She looked up from our entwined hands, her glassy hazel eyes staring into mine. I squeezed her hand reassuringly before leaning down and gently placing my lips on her forehead. “I’m sorry,” I whispered as I gggggggg

 

Seeing that the male had fallen asleep during that part, she wondered why he was writing in the first place. Just as she was about the view more, he started to slowly stir awake, due to all of her movements. Jaehwa froze for a few seconds, unsure what to do before she slipped her hand back.

 

Jungkook lifted up his glasses so he could rub his eyes. Placing them back properly, he looked around, stilling feeling sleepy. Noticing his laptop was open, he shut it quickly.

 

One of the flight attendants came up to the two of them and asked what snacks they wanted. Jaehwa asked for a small bag of pretzels and apple juice and Jungkook asked for some water before pulling out his own little bag of snacks.

 

Jaehwa had to cover and pretend to cough to cover her sudden burst of laughter. She found it extra and adorable that he had his own food to carry along on the trip.

 

Jungkook only looked at the female, slightly confused by her action. He did nothing wrong. All he did was take out the food he packed for his ride back home.

 

Recollecting her position, she had a burning question in her mind. “So, Jungkook, I couldn’t help to notice that you like to write,” she spat out, surprising herself and him.

 

He choked his food before gulping down his water. “D-Did you read it?” he slightly whispered. She nodded slowly. Jungkook felt his heart start to race and his face flushed red.

 

“Is it a hobby or is it something you do for a living?” Jaehwa continued to pry. She knew he was feeling embarrassed but the small paragraph he wrote made her hook onto the story and she had no clue what it was about.

 

Finding the right words he said, “I am author. I writing my next book in English. That why I went to America. As you could tell, I can not speakeu very gud english.” Jaehwa nodded.

 

“Ah, that’s interesting. And that’s okay. I have to work with people internationally all the time so feel free to speak Korean. I know a little.” Jungkook smiled. “Also, I’m a publisher so I could look at your story if you want. There’s no need to be embarrassed,” Jaehwa added.

 

Feeling a little lucky, he re-opened his computer and put it at the beginning. It took a while for her to read what he had down. He had some Korean in there since he wasn’t sure what English word to use but overall she loved it. With small feedback, Jungkook had felt a little more confident about his book.

 

“Once again Jungkook, that was wonderful! You have to keep writing and finish the book or I’ll hunt you down.” Jungkook laughed slightly before showing another bunny smile.

 

“Thank chu! 당신은 나가 다른것을 필요로 하는 경우에 나가 당신의 수를 얻는지 그래서 나가 당신을 부를 수 있으면 꺼리는?” (Trans. - Do you mind if I get your number so I could call you if I need anything else?)

 

Understanding most of what he said, Jaehwa said yes and gave him her cell phone so he could type in his number. He texted her a small text message to see if she got the right number, which he did.

 

As the day dragged on, she noticed that Jungkook was being less shy than when she first met him. Most likely because he had warmed up to her but now, he wouldn’t stop talking.

 

“What your favorite food?”

 

“Do you like Korean food?”

 

“나는 것은 진짜로 불가능한가?” (Trans. - Is it really impossible to fly?)

 

“What time do you think we get to South Korea?”

 

The questions went on all day. Jaehwa couldn’t believe he was in his twenties when he was acting like a third-year-old who learned what questions were. He was just finishing up a story about the time he almost could have died from his friends, who were just tickling him since he lost to a game.

 

“Jungkook, could you uncover the window, again?” she asked, finally getting him to stop. It was dark in the airplane and she hasn’t seen the view all day. He opened it up, covering his eyes.

 

She peered through the window, seeing the puffy clouds and the color of the baby blue sky. She smiled and thanked him, as he pulled the shade down again, uncovering his eyes. “You welcome.”

 

Taking out her phone, she plugged in her earbuds and choosing a song before putting them in her ears. Jungkook, being curious, looked at her phone before asking, “What song?”

 

She paused her music and answered. “Well, my friend is a huge K-pop fan and she wanted me to listen to her playlist.” Jaehwa showed him her phone and he nodded.

 

“Can I listen?”

 

“Uh sure.” She took out her right earbud and giving to Jungkook. She hit play and GOT7’s Never Ever kept playing. For the rest of the day, they shared the music as Jungkook continued to write and Jaehwa fell asleep, starting to lean on his shoulder.

 

At first, he froze as he wasn’t sure what to do. He was never this close to a female before. He then relaxed and let her sleep. He didn’t want to wake her because she looked so peaceful.

 

=====

 

“나”

 

“나”

 

“는 음식”

 

“는 음식”

 

“을 사랑한다”

 

“을 사랑한다”

 

“나는 음식을 사랑한다”

 

“나는 음식을 사랑한다”

 

“See. You did it.” Jaehwa grinned. She had begged Jungkook to teach her something in Korean. In this case, she asked how to say I love food. She believed it would somehow help her when she got to South Korea.

 

“Yay! Is there anything you want to know?” she asked. Jungkook nodded and took out his own phone searching up the word. He turned the screen to you. In the search bar, it had some Korean and it showed up a word in Korean and then one in English.  사랑해 and I love you.

 

Her face turned a slight pink color as she thought it was for her at first. She then remembered that he was writing a love story. She cleared . “Uh okay. Start off by saying I.”

 

“I.”

 

“Love.”

 

“Love.”

 

“You.”

 

“Chu!” Her smile widened at how cute he said the word.

 

“You did it,” she cheered. Jungkook smiled before thanking her and going back on his computer.

 

“Attention all passengers, this is your captain speaking. We shall be landing in a few minutes. So feel free to out at the view,” the captain of the flight informed over the intercom.

 

Jaehwa looked over at Jungkook and he already knew as he pushed the blinds up. Looking through the window, she could see all the buildings and houses down below. Suddenly, her smile faded. She remembered that she would have to leave the plane, which means parting from him.

 

She pulled away and looked at Jungkook who was putting his things in his bag. “Uh, well, I guess this is goodbye,” Jaehwa mumbled, upset. Jungkook only flashed a smile.

 

“Why? I could see you in the city. You have my number,” he reminded. She nodded and put her head down.

 

“Oh. Right.” Her voice cracked as she pressed her lips together. Jaehwa felt sadness overtook her cheery personality. She wasn’t sure why but it flowed through her. She felt a pair of hands lift up her face.

 

She was face-to-face with Jungkook as he wiped her tears away that she didn’t even know existed. “Do not cry.” She started to wipe her tears away, viciously.

 

“I’m sorry! I-I don’t know why I’m crying.. I.. I.” She was pulled into his embrace. Jaehwa clung onto Jungkook, taking in his scent which stopped her tears. After a while, she spoke again. “I’m sorry. I guess for how short I knew you, I felt like I knew you forever.” She pulled away and Jungkook only grinned as he pointed to the empty seats. Almost everyone had left the airplane.

 

Getting up and taking their things, they went to the airport to get their extra bags. After that, it was time to part ways. Jaehwa knew she had to get to the hotel in time to check in. “I guess I should go then. Goodbye Jungkook!” She waved as she started to make her way to the exit when she was pulled back.

 

“I love chu, Jaehwa,” Jungkook whispered in her ear. She smiled, blushing and replied.

 

“사랑해 Jungkook.”