it’s more than a fry

the battle of wits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

❝sometimes people

are beautiful.

not in looks.

not in what they say.

just in what they are.❞

 

(and then there's kim jennie who thinks the most beautiful people in the world are the ones who can be respectful and attentive when someone else is talking.) 

 

 

 

jennie understands the concept of battle strategy which is precisely why she knows attacking the attractive will give her a couple of extra members to her minuscule club.

so when her eyes find a rather striking student walking around the campus alone, his attention not focused in anywhere in particular, she takes it as a cue to make him her next victim.

she forces the most pleasant expression as she possibly can on to her face before approaching him in a casual manner. a couple of flyers tucked securely in her hand which is resting by her side. a smile gracing her lips, and making sure to maintain eye contact to ensure he doesn't dash away like some other ones. it took her a while to perfect her tactic. 

“hi, would you be interested in joining the healthy lifestyle club? new recruits get two free meal,” she explains with emphasis on the free portion. it's the one thing that was mostly gain her any interest for the good of the club. 

he’s staring at her rather weirdly like she’s just said the earth was ing flat or something, before he reaches into the brown paper bag he’s holding. she hadn't really noticed him holding anything before, but the bottom looks suspiciously similar to grease stains, and is that a whiff of potato and salt in the air? 

jennie nearly snarls at the scene, abandoning her amiable-looking mask almost at once. she's clenching her fists and breathing rather loudly, counting quietly to calm herself.

he’s eating the devil’s food, popping a french fry into his mouth, while simultaneously arching this mocking brow. she thinks he's far from attractive and deserves a place on the sole of her adidas shoes right next to the remainders of soil after walking through the grass.

jennie snaps after the rough day filled with ignorant students she’s interacted with, protesting that tomato paste counts as an entire fruit or that double chocolate donuts are the formula to living longer. she wants to keep her club running because the world needs to be educated on their toxic diet. alas, the people in this planet are fuelled by unwillingness to be polite and listen. several people have blatantly ignored her existence and attempts.

she mercilessly takes it out on him. 

“that’s your future children you’re killing off, you prick,” she retorts, ruthlessly throwing flyers in the middle of his face and huffing. her aim is utterly flawless, but she causes a public commotion. the victim looks completely bewildered.  

several heads turn to gape at her and all jennie can truly think about is “oops.” if he was looking at her oddly before, he’s definitely brainstorming ways to end her life now. she turns on her heel and marches away in indignation, not even bothering to collect the couple of papers scattered all over the floor that she's just wasted. she can't really make turn back and care, because she's seething in irritation.

well, that’s another blacklist her name’s being written on.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


“erm jennie,” jisoo tentatively speaks, shooting another glance at her bright phone screen. there's notifications continuously streaming in. it's alarming here how fast news has spread.

kim jisoo is one out of her twenty club members and she only joined because jennie threatened to tell taeyong of jisoo’s feelings towards him (not that she would have, but she was pretty desperate for members back then).

she‘s thankful for the small but loyal number of culinary students that have still stuck by her in this club. 

“i swear to god, a good chunk of the people on this planet are going to be ing dead because of their inability to fight the temptation of sugar,” jennie rants with fervour, while climbing the flight of stairs back to her apartment off campus. it was another meeting without any new members—they’re going to need new blood because a bunch of the seniors are going to graduate this year.

jennie’s terrified about how the community is going to get their education. maybe she should start sneaking into some of the culinary classes and athletics centre to promote. will emails work? the facebook page is doing rather poorly with it’s sad amount of likes.

“um jennie.”

and she‘s vaguely aware that jisoo has been calling her name for a multiple times now. turning back, she looks at the other girl.

“what?” jennie inquires, now exhausted. she’s only in the mood to throwing herself on her bed and snuggling beneath the covers. it's been a pretty ty day, because she's run out of flyers and spirits to tolerate the disinterested population of their possible deaths if they keep up their excessive sugar intake. she's teetering on the verge of giving up.  

“you’re kinda famous.” jisoo’s eyes are darting to her worriedly, fiddling with the sleeves on her arms, and it’s making jennie a tad nervous.

”for what?” she suspects it’s for something crazy or insane and she’s not too far off. it wouldn’t be the first time she’s made it on to someone’s hate list. she opens the door. 

”throwing flyers in jung jaehyun’s face. it’s all over snapchat.”

all jennie can do is rub her eyelids in confusion and ask, ”who the is jaehyun?”

jennie's a little oblivious to matters other than her own. okay, maybe really oblivious.

(he’s been at most of the parties she’s attended since freshman year, owns the most amount of facebook friends on campus, a friend of taeyong’s, and lived three doors down from her for two years.)    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

it takes a while and jennie’s pretty tired of the rumours being spread around or the rude names that are now branded on her. obsessive and hostile health nut being the main one. other than the small comments, she forgets the whole ordeal. it is kinda her fault for throwing things. karma's a . 

after all, she’s come across many types of people to care about a simple one minute conversation. you'd think by now, people would have the decency to listen. 

she sits at a lunch table outside, munching on her homemade salad peacefully, headphones blasting loud rock music in her ears. jisoo’s busy with her research papers and taeyong's regaining some sleep after an extremely serious all-nighter weekend, hence the reason why jennie was alone today. she doesn't particularly mind aside from the side-looks she's been receiving. 

“hey,” chaeyoung comes over, a cheery look on her face. she’s also forcibly dragging someone over, but they’re being blocked by oak tree branches—she presumes it’s probably just lisa.

“what’s up?” jennie acknowledges, placing her raven black headphones acround her neck, nodding.

it's an odd scenario seeing chaeyoung in the middle of lunch. the girl is typically hanging out in a nearby restaurant with a couple of friends or sticking her nose in a book.  

jennie assumes she’s only here to make a brief chit-chat or politely exchanging some greetings before moving into some information sharing. usually chaeyoung has interesting things to discuss about her misbehaving or way too hyper freshman (she's a resident assistant).

”those were my mcdonald’s french fries,” chaeyoung confesses with an apologetic voice and a meek look. her hands hanging awkwardly at her sides a little suspiciously.

which is quite odd since chaeyoung is normally positive and a social butterfly, able to make the best of the most awkwardest situations. not to mention, a good person who lended a hand in helping her create the facebook page and group since jennie was and still is technologically inept.

“what fries?” her nose wrinkles a bit at the words. they were an addictive substance and the main dilemma in her life. (there was a period of time where she would have done nothing more than munched on a pack of mcdonald french fries with her friends).

jennie does tolerate her friends eating junk food, because it isn’t her life to control. however, that doesn’t mean she hasn’t informed them of the risks. they’ve mostly respectfully nodded their heads while she lists the facts before moving to grab a fruit. most of them are truly angels and sometimes it includes taeyong on certain occasions.

”erm the bag jaehyun was holding.” 

“whose jaehyun?” she repeats once more, because his name keeps popping up and she doesn’t have the vaguest idea who he is. in all honesty, jennie’s thrown an assortment of items in a couple of people’s faces. she couldn’t possibly remember all her victims, and she'd rather not. not to mention, she's not the greatest at memorizing names.

jennie supposes he might be someone she tried to (unsuccessfully) recruit a week ago. 

“hi violent health nut.” and he just pops straight out of nowhere and graces them with his horrid presence (in kim jennie’s opinion). it turns out it wasn't lisa hanging near chaeyoung. “you threw flyers in my face before and could have potentially harmed me with paper cuts.”

“it’s you,” she accuses, spitting out the words in a hiss. she thinks she can contract a disease called "insolence" from being the same proximity. jennie shifts farther away, going to the edge of the table. glaring at him, before turning to look at chaeyoung who was guiltily holding her gaze. 

she was reprimanded by jisoo enough to promise that she wouldn’t physically injure someone unless it was strictly for self defense. jennie thinks defending herself against arrogant flies should also work. plus, it'd only be one strike after the promise.

”it is i,” he responds with a shrug which is kind of irritating because he still looks moderately attractive with brown eyes, unblemished complexion, and styled dark hair. however, she's convinced it's used to hide something wicked underneath.

"please excuse my friend," chaeyoung clears sheepishly, shooting him a quick pointed stare. 

“you’re friends with him?” jennie gapes, jaw dropping. a terrible situation to ever occur because chaeyoung is as sweet as honey, and this spawn of the devil (otherwise known as jung jaehyun) is as rude as . she's never heard his name pop up in any of their conversations or has even come to their gatherings.

“yes, and he’s sorry for being insensitive about your beliefs,” chaeyoung loudly says, elbowing jaehyun harshly in the stomach. 

“yeah, i’m so sorry.” he’s sarcastic and basically on the edge of rolling his eyes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter