Chapter 1

White Uniform

Kyungsoo still remembers the ringing bell sound when it's time to start the class. She would drag her lazy from her favourite spot, the bench behind her class block which is near the small garden the botanical club keep growing, and climbs up the stairs with an exaggerating drag of her shoe, scratching the floor. She would grimace everytime she open the door because humans and noise just don't go well with her. 


Kyungsoo loves Wednesday the most. Lunch would be her favourite beanpaste soup and eggroll, and P.E., the only subject she could possibly pass without making much effort in studying — but there's also English, her most favourite subject but that's not the point here. She like spring the most, especially when the spring breeze is playing nice, softly blowing her face wihout rudely disturb her neat bang and lift her skirt up whenever she feel like braving the hallway during the break. 


It's nice to be in school, with no other concern than your grade and peers pressure. Kyungsoo always dream of growing up fast, to be finally released from all the burden of being a teenager.


But well, how she wish she could take that back and wish to become a gloomy teenager again when the least she could only be bothered is by the tasteless kimchi soup on Monday and waking at wee hour to her baby sister crying. 

Now she all grew up, shouldering so much burden after finishing school. Her mother health collapse after she finished school and being second eldest, she had to make a choice. It's either her or the family, so she took the hardest way. But well, it's hard to live in the city after that with all the expense and the enviroment anyway so they moved out to the mountain, living along side the nature. And it's been 7 years since then. 

She sighs loudly when the last customer walks out the guest house. It's the last customer that checked out today so she could finally relax. 


"That's the last one? Do you need help to clean the room?" Kyungsoo holds her chest, shocked by the sudden voice. 


The young girl cackle in glee while extending an arm to give her a bundle of books. 


"You scared me, Ji soo-yah. When did you arrived?"
She takes the bundle in her sister arm and put it gently on the counter top. 


"Just now, after the two went out," her soft voice cools down Kyungsoo fast beating heart. 
She hops on the stool beside Kyungsoo and leans into her until she's hovering on the laptop screen, looking at the record. 


"That's not much for this month too, unni. How can you keep up with this? If it's me, I'll just dump this and do something else," shs pouts while taking over the usb plugged mouse from Kyungsoo hold and move the cursor to click on the game app in the laptop. 


"That's you, not me. It's what grandma gave to me by the way, there's no way I'm gonna let her down. You are just too impatient for this thing," she cursed under her breath when she remembered that she didn't save her last game. 


"Yeah, whatever you like, old-Kyung," Jisoo eyes didn't leave the screen. 


"Mind you, I'm the elder here. How's mom anyway, I haven't got time to visit yet," 


"She's fine. You should go home sometimes y'know. Mom misses you a lot. Keep nagging me to drag you home everytime— ah sh—," she grumbles when the character she played got crushed by the opponent. 


Kyungsoo keeps a long gaze on her sister, and Jisoo looks back at her with understanding eyes. 


"I don't know Jisoo-yah. I got...occupied," she's going to say distracted but never mind anyway, it'a not important. She bites her bottom lip, letting out a sigh. 


"I know I can't help anyway with whatever you are having, so I'm not gonna ask. Well I should get the room cleaned before I go home. And by the way, Mom sent you some kimchi and other side dishes. I'll come again tomorrow to help if I'm free," she hops off the stool and trudges towards her slipper. 
"Don't you wanna stay for lunch? I thought of making doenjang today," Kyungsoo follows her behind, asking her sister out of courtesy, it's almost lunch time anyway. 


"Nah thanks. I have a lunch date with my friends today. Just drop by to give you the things you ask for. I would love to read your book too one day you know. Only if you write it in korean," she wiggles her eyebrows before laughing softly. 


"That means you need to study hard, you kid," Kyungsoo gives her a smirk and get a rolled eyes in return. 


"Yeah, whatever. I'm going, bye. I'll put the bedding beside the door later, okay?" 


"Yeah," 

Kyungsoo daily routine should consist of cleaning the hallway and the yard, sweeping the entire house occasionally and putting out the comforters and mattress under the sun. Well, at least after she took over her old grandma place and take care of this place 7 years ago. It's tiring so she sometimes let it amiss, especially during the winter. She don't always get customer during that time because it'll become too cold for them to stay. It's the mountain side, one's should be crazy enough to come and stay during that time. Other than that, she would kill time by reading or — writing. Of course, she had them published— two of her book sold well these past 7 years after she started to write, but not well enough to make her famous though. 

Others could say that her life can even be considered as lucky, like one of her customer once said, "Because the only people you usually encountered come once in a while or it  just  you pissing yourself ,". She remembers him of course, soft looking with cute dimple and always carried a guitar with him. He stayed for a week and then checked out harriedly in the morning of the 7th day. Kyungsoo feels like agreeing with him but then, the latter words hit her so hard. Maybe she does pissed herself sometimes. But living in the country side, with an old guesthouse that occasionally occupied and writes, such a blissful life. It's what Kyungsoo wish, so she isn't complaining. She got tired of interacting with people when it got too much sometimes, so this is nice. 

But well, she really isn't a person people, so when a tv show; something about cooking, wanted to use her guesthouse for the shooting, she feels like in serious trouble. It feels suffocating when her usual slow paced life is interrupted and she almost started to hyperventilate. Lucky there's Taemin, old man Lee's second son and Jisoo come to the rescue. And later, it all went smoothly until the filming end. She couldn't thank him for what he had done but that guy just give her a sweet smile and pat on her back. She had packed him and his family some bamboo shoot she found in the mountain during her rare adventure inside the mountain, as a thank you which he gladly took. How simple. 
After that, her days moving back like normal. But then, that's what got her thinking, what if something she's not expecting like that happening again. What should she do?

And of course, sometimes the things we really want to avoid will happen without any consent. There is a day, on rare occasion, she will be dressing nicely in her winter coat, a floral skirt with a self knitted wool scarf around her neck and she trudge along the asphalt, all the way to her mother's house, which is 30 minutes away from the guesthouse. But well, during her rare occasion, there would be somebody else rare occasion as well, or in this case— the rarest occasion. 


Seungsoo's home. 


It's not like she hold a grudge against him but that's what she is now. Her estranged eldest brother that turned his back when the family needs him the most. He had been missing after their father's death and only come home these recent years — and that's only during the holidays. Funny to see him today. 


Kyungsoo keeps her eyes trained on his sleek black car, and the littering shoes in front of her mother house. She eyes the fancy looking high heel as she steps inside her mother house and flinches at the loud sound of children. Ugh.


"Mom, I'm here," Kyungsoo announces, ignoring the little girl that stop in front of her. 


"In the kitchen," come a muffled respond. 


Kyungsoo nods at nobody, humming back at her. 
Someone touches her shoulder and Kyungsoo turns back. 


"Hi Kyungsoo, long time no see. How are you ?" 
It's her sister-in-law. 


Kyungsoo almost lost control of her face muscle but she somehow manage to conjure a smile; somewhere between a grimace and a grin. 


"Oh sister-in-law, fancy seeing you here. I'm fine, thank you," 


She smiles in return, and hers doesn't look supressed or pretending at all. She looks genuinely happy which almost make Kyungsoo snorts. 
"Oh good then. Are you from home? We just planned to drop by this evening. The kids wanted to see the stream behind the guesthouse that mother always told them, but I guess maybe we could drop by later," she clasps her hand on Kyungsoo arm, smiling radiantly at her. 


Kyungsoo forces a smile and mutters a small yes before excusing herself to find her mother. When she walks into the kitchen, her mother is frying some pancake and Kyungsoo steals some into . 


"Are they staying here?" She hisses when the pancake burns her tongue. 


Her mother nods, still focused on the pancake. 
"Oh great. Why today, of all day?" Kyungsoo groans while putting down the container of cake she baked earlier in the morning. 


"They have been here for few days already, said it's school holiday and they got few days off, so they decided to stay here for couple of night. Enjoying the country air, like Jinhee said," her mother got smile on her face while mentioning her daughter in law. 


Kyungsoo sneers, giving her mom a deadpan eyes. 
"But you, my daughter. You only come home today? You could've just stay with me instead of that old house. Grandma wouldn't be mad if you do so anyway," Kyungsoo blocks her nagging with both hand on her ears, not wanting to hear any of it. 
Suddenly she's being reminded to the reason why she don't like to come home. This is one of it. After they moved to the countryside, Kyungsoo had always helped her grandmother with the guesthouse and after getting hang of it, she decided to move out the house to live with grandmother. She used to come home occasionally until her baby sister turns 17, she stopped. Because that when Seungsoo started coming home. It's petty when she thought of it, but that's what making her today. Call her immature or childish or whatever, but she really feel victimized by her brother action. He left all those years when things were hard and come back when everything's alright. They had fought over this, years ago, and Kyungsoo still remember going home with tears streaming down her cherubic cheek all the way. Seungsoo however drop off the next day, to apologize and Kyungsoo invited him in to have some tea. After that, they never talk about it anymore. 


Now, he came back along with his little monsters, even talking about visiting her guesthouse. She sighs. 


"Mom, why did you tell them about the guesthouse. Even the stream. That's my sacred healing place," Kyungsoo whines with a low voice, afraid of them hearing her. 


"Seungsoo accidentally mentioned it in front of Jinhee and the children were excited about it. I can't help myself," her mother giggles sheepishly. 
Kyungsoo is about to ask about Jisoo when she barged in with one of Seungsoo's little monster— which she never actually bother to distinguish them. 


"Unni, finally braving the daylight, huh?" Lips tug into a smirk and cackles when the little boy asks her if Kyungsoo is a vampire. 


"Yes, she is. A scary vampire that gonna the blood of small child like you," Jisoo makes a scary face and the boy giggles, screaming when she tickles him. 


Kyungsoo rolls her eyes in annoyance. 


"You should be scared for your life more if I'm a vampire, Jisoo-yah. Because I drink blood from sleazy people like you. Go take bath, you reeks of sweat. Ugh, where have you been," Kyungsoo pretends to cover her nose which her nephew immitated her action. 


"Now now kids, go play out there and take these snacks with you. Don't make a mess here,"  


Kyungsoo walks to the front with the snacks bowl and basket in both hand, hesitating to walk further when she heard her brother's laugh. It's been so long, last time she saw him was last year Seollal. Mom went to visit them during Chuseok, leaving Jisoo with her. So she doesn't get to meet him, which she is kind of relieved. No need for unnecessary feeling. 


Taking a deep breath, she approaches the small gathering of the family and put everything in her hands onto the dinner table. She contemplated whether to sit with them or go get her mother but she decide just sit together with them. So, she sit, quietly, and let her thought drown inside the white noise from the switched on tv and her brother deep husky voice. 


A lot running through her head, from the possibility that could happen from her visit today to the news she read this morning. Maybe idea would pop up for her to start a new book. It's getting dull anyway nowaday. 


"Kyungsoo-yah, we haven't been talking much right? So, how have you been? Is the business going well?" Jinhee smiles, leaning back on her hand to support her weight. '


A little bit taken aback, Kyungsoo glances at her posture and blinks. 'She's gonna hurt her hand later'. 


"It's doing fine, thanks for asking. It's winter anyway, so there isn't much people coming," she gives her a small smile and Jinhee hums. 


"I saw the broadcast and was so excited to see your guest house got featured. Jisoo looked so good in the tv and what the guy name? Taemin is it? He looked like a good man. I wonder how you got featured...," Jinhee keep the conversation go on with animated gesture and cheerful face that Kyungsoo feel sorry if she distrupt her, so she just nods and hums occasionally. 


"Oh my god, I talked a lot right, hehe. I don't get to do that much if it is in the city. My office is big but there isn't anybody to talk to. So I just drag Seungsoo here when we both get the leave, taking the kids along," she can't stop smiling and Kyungsoo wonders if her cheek is not hurting by now. It seems genuine though. 


"No, it's fine. The village is good for relaxing. You've worked hard all the time, it's your healing time," Kyungsoo smiles half-heartedly, patting the stray hand that keep hitting her when she get excited since earlier. 


Kyungsoo observes her sister-in-law and she thought of her first impression on her.

Sophisticated, high class, high tier business heiress and elegant. With her high heels, expensive looking dresses (or suits, that's when Kyungsoo stumble across the Forbe's magazine. She was listed as one of the successful heiress with a very successful life or whatever successful she could achieved.

Seungsoo's in there too by the way), no one could ever guess she got this side of her. How would the ever perfectionist Seungsoo fell in love with her. 
A while later, her mother appears with hot tea and traditional sweets with Jisoo in tow, Seungsoo's spawn in her arm. Finally, she can be out from this awkwardness. It is becoming lively and Seungsoo also started to join in the conversation, not like earlier. 


Dinner later is lively, with the kids first time tasting folks dishes and Jisoo chattering about her online courses she signed up from her university. 
Kyungsoo can only smile on that since she knew nothing about it. 

Kyungsoo did plan to stay for the night, but seeing Seungsoo's family almost crowd the house, she just excused herself to go home when the clock striked 10. Jisoo insisted on accompanying her, but Kyungsoo refused since it's not a problem.   The village is safe anyway. But still, she bundled her with a green striped wool scarf with a matching wool mitten since it's getting colder. 


"We'll come over tomorrow to play," she playfully winks, knowing that Kyungsoo isn't fond of Seungsoo's family. 


Kyungsoo had sent her a glare before departing from her old mother's house. 

Well, the next morning her sister proved she's not playing around when she come with the kids along with their mother. Kyungsoo just finished doing laundry and is cleaning the front yard when they ambushed her house. 


"Whoa, the house is so big. I think I saw this in the textbook," the small boy exclaimed while peering around the house with curious eyes. 


His mother chuckles and walks toward Kyungsoo who is a little dumbfounded with the current situation. 


"Hi, sorry to disturb you this early. The kids are too excited to come," she shows an abashed smile and Kyungsoo nods at her. 


Kyungsoo shows them around and dismisses herself right after she done, purposely making herself busy with the room cleaning and preparing the necessary things for the room. But she knew, it won't be long until somebody found her from her self isolation. 


"Kyungsoo-yah? Are you busy?" It's Jinhee. 


Kyungsoo just smile and shakes her head. 


"No, I'm not. Is there something?" Kyungsoo shows a fake facade, the one she used to serve her guest. 


"No, it just...I'm just wondering if you need help. It must be hard for you to do this alone," her eyebrows furrow in concern. 


Kyungsoo just merely shrugging her shoulder, "It's nothing. I'm used to this. Jisoo does come sometimes, so it's not that hard," 


Jinhee is silent for a while before asking if she need help of anything and Kyungsoo just allows her to help since refusing won't make her go away. 
They stayed for dinner and went home right after that which Kyungsoo is very thankful for. 


She slumps down on her quarter—or  that's what Jisoo like to call her work desk— and breath out a long sigh. What a tiring day for her. She burnt a midnight oil later to work on her book, which is a very long overdue draft she left on since last year spring (always a best part of being a freelancing writer) and to tire herself out since her eyes refuse to shut but well, the moment she look outside, the sky is already showing a tinge of the daybreak colour. She groans, pushing away from the desk to stretch her back to release the kinks from her body. After doing her morning routine, she consider of doing some cleaning today but it's a little bit cold today so Kyungsoo decide to just drop the broom for the day.


She set her laptop up on the front desk and keep herself distracted with the internet stuff— keeping up with the world that is moving too fast. When all the stuff online bore her out, she turn off the device and keep it under the make shift counter— a high table with multiple drawers with wide surface. Kyungsoo remembers being awed by it when grandma show it to her because whom ever expect a guest house at the mountain foot would have this kind of setup. She let out a small laugh at the absurdity. There's a sudden breeze that carresses her face, messing up her shoulder-length hair.

Kyungsoo close her eyes and take a deep breath, letting herself drown in the calmness of the day and the gentleness of the nature. She wonders if she ever miss the bustle of the city, the ever fast-moving culture of the city resident...maybe she didn't or maybe she did...sometimes. This is nice...everything. Away from emotions that involved human mostly. She has never been good with human anyway, being a closeted paranoid, xenophobic type of human, faking the emotion is far too exhausting for her. So, this is nice. This is life. But sometimes, she does...miss the city. 


A loud honk startles her from her daydreaming. She looks around to find a familiar black car and a figure emerges from the car. Kyungsoo half expect it to be Seungsoo but it's Jinhee, in her expensive winter coat and boot, looking like a city people. 


"Kyungsoo-yah, are you busy now?" Kyungsoo shakes her head. 


"I just want to visit you before going back. I'm gonna miss this all though. Dunno when we will come back here," she smiles, fondness evident in her eyes but Kyungsoo don't wanna see that. 
When Jinhee takes off her boot, Kyungsoo peers outside, looking for the car but it's already gone. Jinhee seems to notice this and immediately reply "He'll be back. He just drop me off here for a while to do some errand and pick the kids at mother's later," 


Kyungsoo nods, ushering her inside. 


They sit facing each other at the dinner table, with a piping hot tea in front of them. 


"So, going home already? You should've stay longer," Kyungsoo tries to be civil, straining the smile threatening to break out. 


"Yeah, I wish. But work demand. I can't stay longer," she pouts, sipping the hot tea.


Kyungsoo smiles sympathetically, nodding in understanding. 


"But this is not what I wanna talk to you. I come today to talk about Seungsoo," she paused to look at Kyungsoo. 


Kyungsoo breath stuck in and suddenly it become hard for her to breath. 


"I know you have some issue with Seungsoo. I always wanted to speak with you about this but never got a chance. I know, I'm nobody to interfere with this but Kyungsoo, I'm couldn't be a good business people if I can't notice something like this. I'm not a fool. I know you are not okay with all if this yet. But I just hope, one day, you will find somewhere in you heart to forgive him," Jinhee eyes find hers, locking it when she caught it. 
"Please. If anything I'll always support you Kyungsoo. Don't shut out yourself from your own family. We all are your family," she smiles, reaching for Kyungsoo hand to softly pats it. 


When Seungsoo came later, Kyungsoo only send Jinhee off with her eyes— as she insisted and stares at the retreating car until it's gone from her view. 


Later, Kyungsoo takes a long soak in the big wooden tub inside the guesthouse bathroom, and let Jinhee's words to sink inside her mind too. 

 

 

 

A/n: lately I've been busy and occupied with life, but this story kind of a healing time for me. Hope you guys could enjoy and leave some comments ^^