Final.

We Can Do Nothing, And I'd Still Be Happy

 


Snow was falling heavily that afternoon. Hyungwon was walking at the sidewalk, already on his way home. Work had been hectic these past two weeks. He barely had time to stay in the house. There were times when he didn't have a choice but to sleep at the office. Luckily, his boss had allowed him to leave early today, and even gave him the day off tomorrow. He had visited a bakeshop earlier. He couldn't come home empty-handed. His boyfriend, Hoseok, was also busy with his writing, so they couldn't really spend much time together lately. Hyungwon was planning to go out with Hoseok tomorrow, perhaps watch a movie, and eat dinner in a fancy restaurant. But he would have to ask Hoseok what he wanted to do first. 

 

Hyungwon was filled with excitement. He hummed a tune happily as he pressed the passcode on their door. When he stepped inside their apartment unit, all the lights were turned off. Which was odd, because Hoseok liked the house bright and inviting. Hyungwon frowned. Did Hoseok go out? But he didn't send a message to Hyungwon that he wouldn't be home.

 

A faint light was coming from the bedroom, Hyungwon noticed when he had placed the cake on the dining table. Hyungwon smiled. Hoseok was home. He must be in the room, occupied with his work. Hyungwon strolled quietly towards the bedroom, with a plan to surprise Hoseok. When Hyungwon opened the door, he was instantly frozen on his spot. What welcomed him was a scene that he wanted to treasure in his heart forever. 

 

Hoseok wasn't busy with work at all.
He was lying down on the floor, beside their bed, with their pet dog, Mondoongie, on his side. The two of them were sleeping soundly. 

 

Hyungwon couldn't help but feel warm and incredibly happy. It was the cutest thing he had seen. He also couldn't stop himself from taking a photo of the two. He quickly captured one, and even made it as his new wallpaper.

 

Hyungwon tiptoed to where Hoseok was settled. He was careful not to wake his sleeping angels. Hoseok was in a fetal position, and their dog was adjacent to him. Their faces was an inch away from each other. Hyungwon also laid down and scooted close to Hoseok. The latter's back was facing him. Hyungwon wrapped his arms around Hoseok's waist. He inhaled the sweet scent of his boyfriend. It made him dizzy with delight. Hoseok stirred from the sudden touch.

 

Hoseok felt long arms wrapped around him. The familiar arms of the person who he loved the most. His heart fluttered with joy. Hyungwon was finally home. A sweet smile formed on Hoseok's face. With eyes still shut, Hoseok grabbed Hyungwon's arm and pulled him closer. The two of them snuggled affectionately like there's no tomorrow. 

 

"Welcome home," Hoseok murmured. His voice still hoarse from sleep. 

 

Hyungwon kissed the back of the neck of his beloved boyfriend. "Did you miss me? Why are you sleeping on the floor with Mondoongie?"

 

With one quick motion, Hoseok turned around to face Hyungwon. He wrapped both arms around Hyungwon's torso. Hoseok opened his eyes, then he looked up, and pouted at his boyfriend. "I was lonely. And you know that I miss you all the time. Good thing I have Mondoongie here with me, or I'll go crazy." He whined. 

 

Hyungwon smiled, then he planted a soft kiss on Hoseok's forehead. He hugged Hoseok tighter, resting his chin on his boyfriend's head. "I'm sorry, I made you lonely. But I'm here now. And tomorrow we can spend the whole day with each other. What do you want to do?"

 

Hoseok hummed, contemplating about the question. After a while, he replied, "Well, I don't have anything in particular that I want to do. But honestly, we can do nothing, and I'd still be happy. As long as we're together, that's what's important."

 

Hyungwon smiled with content. "Yeah, you're right. We can just stay at home and do nothing but cuddle all day."

 

In that moment, Hyungwon remembered about what he had bought earlier. He quickly pulled away from Hoseok. Hoseok frowned instantly. He felt lonely again now that Hyungwon had moved away from him. He already missed Hyungwon's warmth. Hyungwon stood up, and without saying anything, he stormed out of the room.

 

Hoseok's frown deepened. He switched into a sitting position. By Hoseok's sudden movement, their dog Mondoongie awakened. The black dog hurriedly got up and followed Hyungwon out of the room. Hoseok stared at the door with his mouth hanging open. What was that all about? His two boys had left him all alone.

 

But Hoseok didn't have to wait that long for them to return. When his two boys went back to the room, Hoseok was close to tears. Hyungwon was holding a cake, with a 'happy birthday' written on it. And their dog Mondoongie had a paper bag dangling from his mouth. Hyungwon stepped closer to Hoseok, then he carefully placed the cake on the floor in front of the latter.

 

"Happy birthday, babe," Hyungwon said with a wide smile on his face.

 

"I thought you forgot." Hoseok felt his tears rolling down his cheeks. He could be so emotional sometimes. But he didn't care. Nothing could compare to his happiness right now. 

 

After Hoseok had blown the candle, Hyungwon motioned for Mondoongie to come closer. The dog did what was told. Hyungwon patted Mondoongie's head, "Good boy." Then he grabbed the paper bag from the dog's mouth. He handed the bag to the teary-eyed Hoseok. "This is for you. I hope you like it."

 

Hoseok opened the bag. Inside it was a red sweater. He pulled it out and looked at the design. The picture they had taken last Christmas had been printed on it. It was a picture of the three of them, Hyungwon, Hoseok, and Mondoongie. They were smiling broadly at the camera in front of their Christmas tree.

 

"I love it so much," Hoseok sniffled. "Thank you, Hyungwon. And thank you Mondoongie." The dog barked excitedly, as if he had understood what Hoseok said.

 

Hyungwon touched Hoseok's cheek affectionately. "Anything for you, my love."

 

They had put the cake aside. And without wasting another second, their lips met, and they shared a long passionate kiss. What they didn't realize was that Mondoongie was already feasting on the poor cake.

 


❤️