Familiarity

Unexpected

School is kinda boring... scratch that, school is boring, at least for someone like me. I have never been really excited about school. What's the point of getting excited when all you got in school was never-ending whispers, hate glances, and groundless gossips spreading. But it's my third-year, I get used to it.

It's a common knowledge in school that I am hated in school, which is something I can't understand until now.  How can someone is publicly hated like that when she had never done anything awful to anyone. I have never bullied, talks bad, or physically hurt anyone, never once.

But well, actually it's not that I don't know about that, there is something I am aware of. I'm hated because of my wealthy parents and that is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me. The wealthy one is my parents, and I really have nothing to do with that, it's not like my parents own the school anyway.

After a years wondering about this, I came to a conclusion that the students here are conservative if I can say. They assume that the wealthy girl will likely to be haughty, spoiled, and is a player, which I am not. I rode the bus to school, eat in the school canteen, and never been in a relationship before, not that I'm proud of it.

Soojung said differently though. According to her, students started to hate me because of my unfriendly attitude. I don't necessarily interact with people I don't close enough. Unfortunately, the only person close to me in the beginning of high school was her, so she became the only person I interact with, except for the school projects which required me to be in a group of some students, I only talk and hanging around with her. Students start assuming that I'm arrogant because of the attitude, added with the fact my parents are wealthy, I became a perfect package to be a target of hatred.

The first semester of 1st grade of high school was a torture. None of the classmates would welcome me to their group if not forced or if they have no other choices. Same goes for PE class, they accept me to be in the group but will act like I wasn't there. Not that I mind or what, I care about my grade, so however they treat me, I always tried to keep my grade. I'm the top student in my class after all.

The situation is identical when it is lunch time, I only eat my lunch with Soojung all the time. If she wasn't there, I would just eat alone. It stressing at the beginning, but I think I just only need adapt with it. My cold attitude is beneficial at the time like this, they won't know whether I upset or not, because according to Soojung, I have no expression.

The second semester is no different. The treatment is always the same, the difference is that I get used to it already. They keep whispering and glancing like I'm the crazy one. Some of the time I get confronted by the 2nd year girl seniors that plainly hate me because they feel threatened by my existence. They accuse me to be third-wheel in their "some" relationship with their crush while I have nothing to do with it. Some of the male seniors did occasionally contact me through message trying to get close. Unfortunately, some of them were the "claimed" crush of the girls that confronted me. Me, being the person I am, really have no interest with any of the boys, like I explained to them, kindly. They let me go, but with no intention to befriend me and of course, with the lingering hatred.

Well, my kind of "kindness" is not for everyone.

 

***

"Don't you want to try to be more friendly this year, huh?", Soojung asked as we walked through the hall to our locker.

It's the beginning of the 2nd year and I still have no excitement for that. Soojung was all giddy last night wondering whether we finally got to be in the same class this year. She said that class is suffocated without me, which according to my experiences, she will be suffocated if she was in the same class with me.

During the break, all she said is that for me to at least change a bit, becoming more friendly and stuff. Not that she minded me, but she said is for me not to be confronted anymore.

"Why do I have to do that?", I said as I opened up my locker to put some of the books that needed later after lunch when the actual class is started. The first period until lunch was usually only filled by introduction and class arrangement. Not that I minded since I will still get the equal amount of hates.

"Do you want to be in trouble again with that bunch of idiots that accused you for the most disgusting thing I've ever heard in my life?", she scoffed and open opened her locker, two lockers away from me. Well, Soojung can be exaggerated sometimes.. no, many times.

"I said to you, I have no problem with that. It's not that I affected by any of it, because it's not true, you know that. So there is no point for me to be all friendly", packing all the stuff I need for the class to my green backpack, while Soojung is leaning against her locker, all pouty.

I sighed, "Look, Soojung, there is no point in trying to be friendly with people that originally hated me from the very beginning. It just probably made them more agitated, I really don't want to create more prob-".

"Glad you know that, Princess".

Both Soojung and me looked to the voice direction, which we actually know whose the voice belongs to.

"I wish I won’t be in the same class as you, 1 year is suffocating enough", she sighed as she and her friends walked through me and Soojung, laughed.

"You are the one that supposed to say that", Soojung send a look full of hatred all the way until the bunch of girls disappeared to the class.

"Let's go", I locked my locker and walking towards the hall to see the class arrangement.

"Hey, Jisoo- ya, wait for me, you little-", Soojung followed me, rushing while mumbling some incoherent words that supposed to said to me.

***

“It’s real. The struggle is real”, I let out a heavy sigh on the way to classroom. We just looked at our sophomore class arrangement and it dropping my spirit to the very bottom where it is originally has always been low.

“I know right. Please be patient for this another year without me in the class”, Soojung whining and leaning her head to my shoulder while patted my backhead as an act of pity.

Well, she misunderstood.

“Here, Soojung. I can stand another year without you in the same class with me. We will eating our lunch together all the year anyway”, I try to clear the misunderstanding. It’s not that I’m happy being separated with her. It’s just, as I said, she tend to exageratting things.

”Can you just pretend to be dissapointed for once?”, she scoffed and retrieved her head, feeling hurt.

“Well-”

“Nevermind”, she raised up her hand in front of my face, telling me to stop talking.

She then pulled up a serious look on her face, “But Jisoo, I know it being in the same class as Jinkyung, but here, we have a bigger problem waiting”.

What can be worse than being in the same class as Jinkyung? The self-claimed queenka that publicly dislikes me more than anyone in school. For the very basic information, I have not even been spoken to her when she started hating me. She and her posse always try every way possible to show that they hate me, but I think they hate me more because I never react to every stunt they put.

“Jinkyung is problem, of course, but you are in the same class as Hanbin. Kim Hanbin the trouble maker”, she loudly whispered where I think people in 5 metres radius can still heard.

I tilted my head and gave her a look, wondering where I heard that name before.

“What are you? Stupid? How come you don’t know Kim Hanbin? The biggest trouble maker in the area”, Soojung gasped in disbelief.

I pretend being hurt by her remarks. This school is huge. How can she expect me to know everyone in the school where she clearly aware that I am hated and had no intention to have a further “friendly” relationship with anyone.

“I think I came across his name once or twice. But who exactly he is? Why is he a problem anyway?”, I asked with I-don’t-even-care manner.

She gasped in disbelief. But soon recover to her usual state when she realize that she got no hope in me.

“You know, that one guy that always being called by the Disciplinary Committee at least once every month. He always got into trouble, mostly in school. I think teachers have been in the very desperate state that they don’t think they can handle him anymore”, she said as we reaching my class. I stopped before in front of the class door with Soojung followed.

“Then why is he a problem? I don’t think I would run into a problem with him. Not when I’m planning to be very invisible this year”, I chuckled as I saw our homeroom teacher is nearing, signaling the class will start within a minute.

“He is naturally friendly, no wonder he is always surrounded by a bunch of guys wherever he go. But, people has been saying this one thing from last semester..”, she take a glance to her surrounding, in full alert in case someone eavesdropping, which is useless because we are the only one standing in the hallway right now.

“What?”

“He despise girls. A lot. He has not been seen with any girl from the freshmen year until now. But the rumor said that he has one particular type that he dislikes the most...”, she whispered. Knowing my homeroom teacher is only a few metres away.

She hesitated a little bit.

I grew impatient as my teacher is coming closer. I demanded her to continue what she has been saying by giving a sign that indicate that I’m waiting for her answer.

“..... You”.

 

***