You're beautiful

Imperfection

A/N: Happy Seulrene day everyone. I want to get into the habit of writing a oneshot for every seulrene day each month. It’s a bit ambitious but we’ll see how it goes. I wrote this because Seulgi once said she considered getting eye surgery and I am honestly glad she didn’t. She is too gorgeous as she is and her monolids are beautiful. And also Joohyun recently said she likes her eyes, from that we have this oneshot. Please enjoy

 

Every morning when, Kang Seulgi wakes up. It is to kisses against, her monolid eyes from her girlfriend, Bae Joohyun. It would seem like an unusual place to kiss someone, but not for this longtime couple.

 

“Morning, Seul.” The slightly older, raven smiles softly, running her fingers through, Seulgi’s brown locks.

 

“Morning, Hyunnie.” She returns the smile. Joohyun has been her girlfriend since their college days, and has seen her at both the highs and lows of her life. It was because of Joohyun that, Seulgi learned to accept something she had once seen as a flaw, a imperfection. From the time, she was small, Seulgi never thought that her monolids were pretty. For her, they were a character flaw, and she didn’t want them. She wanted to look like some of the other pretty, doll-like girls with double eyelids. She never understood why she had to be born with monolid eyes, not when some of the prettiest girls didn’t have them.

 

She had even considered the possibility of double eyelid surgery, anything to fix her flaw. She decided not to, after having drawn several pictures of herself with double eyelids. It didn’t feel or look right to her. So, she stayed with how she looked with her monolid eyes. That didn’t mean she accepted it right away, but she could also see how she didn’t look exactly right with the double eyelids either. Meeting, Joohyun when she did couldn’t have come at a better time. Bae Joohyun, had truly been like some beautiful, real life angel sent to her purposely. It was, Joohyun who first took notice of her dislike for her eyes.

 

(Flashback)

 

Seulgi and Joohyun, had met through dance class at school. The monolid girl had honestly been blown away, by her at first, because she was so insanely beautiful. Seulgi, could not understand how a girl like her could even exist. She was like a goddess brought to life, a shy and quiet goddess, who didn’t really interact much with the class. She stayed to herself for the most part. The two of them ended up getting close through dance. Their professor, often paired them together. At first because they were some of the best dancers in the class, but soon people could see the kind of chemistry they had, and it was undeniable. While Seulgi was sharp, precise, and powerful in her motions. Joohyun was fluid, graceful, and had a quieter power compared to, Seulgi’s style of dancing. When the two met it was like an explosion.

 

Dance classes, had led to them sharing lunch together. It led to them exchanging numbers, and seeing each other outside of school. Today, was such a day where they met to have lunch together. They would usually meet on a day that worked best for both of them. She had found out that, Joohyun was slightly older than her by a few years, but that didn’t change how easily they connected to one another. Seulgi was sitting across from, Joohyun looking through her psych notes, or trying rather. She’s so behind in this class, that she doesn’t feel she could possibly catch up. Joohyun was in between eating, and stealing glances at the monolid girl. There has been something on her mind for some time, and she decides that she will ask, Seulgi now. It ended up being a question that, Seulgi had not been expecting.

 

“Seulgi, why don’t you like your eyes?”


 

The slightly younger girl looks up right away. Her psychology notes, forgotten in an instant. She had no idea that, Joohyun even paid that sort of attention. How else would she think to ask something like that? It’s not as if she had ever broadcasted her disappointment in her eyes before.

 

“How’d you know that?”

 

“I didn’t at first.” Joohyun admits. “I just took notice to how sometimes, while we’re practicing. You’ll look unhappy in the mirror, and I know it couldn’t have been because of your dancing. You’re always good, and your skills are incredible. I saw you drawing once, and it looked like you but with double eyelids. I just drew my conclusions from there. That you weren’t happy with your eyes."

 

Seulgi realizes in that moment that, Joohyun pays a lot more attention to details than she first thought. Sure, she knew the older girl, was quite organized in everything from her notes, to the way she arranged the items in her bag. Still, Seulgi couldn’t have imagined that, Joohyun paid that sort of attention to her. What could she possibly say to her now? It’s true, that at one point she considered to think about the surgery. Even now, most times she is quite insecure about her eyes.

 

“They’re not pretty.” Seulgi admits softly. “Not like yours.”

 

Seulgi didn’t mean to let it slip that she thinks, Joohyun’s eyes are pretty. She thinks everything about her is pretty. Her eyes, lips, nose, and the girl doesn’t have a bad angle at all. Joohyun, doesn’t know this but she has paid attention to her side profile, backside, and observed how she is beautiful in all ways. She has even drawn her before too, but she would never show her those pictures. She didn’t mean to say that she finds, Joohyun’s eyes pretty, because then that means, she pays attention to her. The younger girl, definitely does pay attention to her, probably more than she should. Joohyun, reaches for her hand to give it a squeeze.

 

“Who says that your eyes are not, beautiful? You are beautiful, Seulgi.”

 

It’s the way that, Joohyun says it, so soft, and full of sincerity. Seulgi, finds that she has never wanted to believe words more than in that, moment with her.

 

(End)

 

Seulgi is so zoned out that, Joohyun has to turn her lips to hers for a kiss. It does pull the monolid woman back to reality. She’s here in bed with her girlfriend of many years. Joohyun ends the kiss with one more, soft touch against her cheek.

 

“Hey, baby. Where are you right now?” The shorter, dark-haired woman questions. She has spent a long time with, Seulgi. First as friends, and then girlfriends. She can tell normally right away when something is bothering her. Seulgi doesn’t even have to speak, and Joohyun knows she has something troubling her.

 

“I’m fine. I was just remembering, when you first told me that you thought my eyes were beautiful.”

 

Joohyun looks concerned. She’s known for a while how, Seulgi has felt about her eyes. She on the other hand has always loved, Seulgi’s gorgeous monolid eyes. It was a feature that she took notice to almost immediately. Her entire face is beautiful. Everything from her eyes, nose, and lips, that she can’t stop kissing or staring at. Joohyun, wonders if there is anyway that, Seulgi is still feeling insecure about her appearance again.

 

“I don’t think they are. I know that they are.” Joohyun promises. “Come on, let’s go have breakfast.”

 

The couple get out of bed, but not before several kisses are shared. It’s often like this. They can’t keep their hands or lips off of each other, preventing them from leaving the room often. After finally sharing one kiss, because Joohyun insists they need to eat soon. The two head into the kitchen together. It’s been a few years since they both graduated from college, and were able to move in together. Joohyun, had graduated before her, and was already working full time when, Seulgi graduated next. They didn’t move in together right away, however. They just continued dating, and building their relationship, until they both felt ready to move in. That was a big step that neither of them wanted to take lightly.

 

Joohyun starts to make breakfast for them. The raven wants to be able to enjoy their meal before asking, Seulgi the question she needs to ask. She hopes her girlfriend is not still insecure about her face. Her eyes in particular. She watched, Seulgi struggle with that insecurity personally.

 

(Flashback)

 

Joohyun had asked to see some of, Seulgi’s old drawings. There were quite a few sketches of her. Some of the pictures she looks like herself with monolid eyes. There are also some that are of her with double eyelids. Joohyun traces her fingers over the image of, Seulgi in her normal appearance. She is such a beautiful girl, as she is. There is no need for her to even consider such a drastic change. The girl with the double eyelids, is someone that, Joohyun wouldn’t even recognize. Not, when she has grown so used to, and is in love with, Seulgi as she is. The worry on Joohyun’s face is evident, as she glances to see even more images. Seulgi looks to have struggled with this for some time.

 

At the moment, her girlfriend is laying on her side in bed. She’s drifting in and out of sleep, as school as been particularly rough lately for them both. In fact, this is the first time they’ve been able to see each other in weeks. They’ve both been busy with many of their own schedules. Joohyun insisted, she was coming over to see her. Even if, it meant just laying in bed together, cuddling or sleeping. They would be together doing it, and that’s all the older girl wanted. She just wanted to have some time alone with her girlfriend. Joohyun closes the book gently, and places it on the nearby nightstand.

 

Then she moves closer to where, Seulgi is on the bed. She carefully turns, Seulgi’s face to hers, and places kisses along her monolid eyes. The action surprised the younger girl right away.

 

“Hyunnie…”

 

“Hey.” Joohyun whispers softly. “Everytime that you feel insecure about your beautiful, monolid eyes. I will kiss them until you believe me, and trust how beautiful you are, baby.”

 

The affection that is coming from the older girl make, Seulgi smile. She has never felt this kind of love so strongly from someone else before. The thoughts of how kind, and warm, Joohyun is being towards her. It makes the tears start form in her eyes. Joohyun wipes the away one by one. She hates to see her cry for any reason.

 

“Don’t cry. I love you.”

 

“I-I love you too. Thank you for….”

 

“You don’t ever need to thank me. I’ll always keep showing you that, I love you.”

 

(End)


 

They eat breakfast together with light conversation. They mostly talk about their upcoming work schedules, possible weekend plans, and maybe a date night if they can find the time to make it happen.

 

“We haven’t had time to go out in so long.” Joohyun admits while drinking some tea.

 

“Yeah.” Seulgi nods in agreement. They’ve both been particularly busy these days with their respective jobs. Joohyun, at the magazine publication she works for, and Seulgi, with her part time choreography gig and graphic arts she does for a company. Sometimes, it feels as if they really just have time for breakfast, and dinner together. There are times where, Joohyun comes home late from work, and Seulgi is already asleep, but she will leave a cup of tea waiting for her. Sometimes, Seulgi gets held up with work, and Joohyun makes a plate for her, so that she isn’t starving to death when she gets home.

 

They’re just lucky. They both have the day off, today. On, those rare days off she, and Joohyun will often lay around in bed for hours. Even, if it’s something simple like cuddling, or just talking to one another, since they have the time to have those long, meaningful conversations. They’ll watch movies together, or laugh at silly reality shows. There are times, Seulgi drags her homebody girlfriend out, because, Joohyun would mostly like to be home relaxing with the woman she loves. When they go out, whether it’s for an impromptu lunch date, movie, or even playing games at the arcade. Joohyun, always has the best time, sometimes even more fun than, Seulgi does. And, she will forget she ever argued for them to stay home. Today, feels more like a stay at home kind of day, which is fine for them both.

 

“I think things will quiet down, soon. They’re looking for new staff at the magazine, and that will really lessen my workload.”

 

“I hope so, Hyunnie. You already do enough there, and it would be nice for you to have a break.”

 

“Yes.” Joohyun agrees. She has been working extra hard lately, and sure the pay increase is nothing to complain about. It still doesn’t take away from the fact she misses, Seulgi a lot these days. Maybe, she can put in early for some vacation time. They could go away somewhere, even if it’s only for a few days. It would be a much needed break, distraction, and even a time to just reconnect fully as a couple. After they finish eating, Seulgi offers to do the dishes as, Joohyun had already made food for them. The slightly taller woman is in the middle of washing the dishes, when she feels, Joohyun wrap her arms around her waist.

 

“Hey, Seul. Can I ask you a question?”

 

“Yes, of course, Hyunnie.”

 

“You don’t still feel badly about your monolids, do you?”

 

Seulgi turns to look at her after she asks. There is a look of curiosity that flashes across the brunette’s face. It seems like such a random question to ask. It’s been a long time since Seulgi felt any sort of insecurity about her eyes. That is in large part to, Joohyun always being there to reassure her that she had nothing to be ashamed of.

 

“No. I don’t feel badly anymore. Why do you ask?”

 

“Earlier, when you said you were remembering when I first told you how much I liked your eyes. It made me wonder if you still felt badly. Do you remember what I said to you, that time when you told me you should have the surgery?”

 

How could, Seulgi have forgotten. She was at a particularly low point in her final year of college. A time that is often the most stressful for a student. Seulgi, was feeling overwhelmed by everything, school, class, and her eventual graduation. Because that meant to look to the future. To start making plans for said future, and hope like hell at least Plan A or B worked out, otherwise then what? She was also feeling lonely without her girlfriend. When they were both in school together. Things had been so much easier. All they had to do was meet one another, sometimes before class or after. She didn’t want to bother, Joohyun with too much of her problems. She wants to show her girlfriend she can handle things well on her own, and that, Joohyun doesn’t need to drop everything she has going on, for her.

 

Unfortunately, for her, Joohyun knows her very well. She is confronted about why she has been so distant lately. Why has she been missing out on dates. The same dates that have been planned, sometimes weeks in advance just so they could see one another. Joohyun, wants to know why they’ve been having such brief conversations, instead of their longer ones.

 

“Tell me what’s wrong?” The older girl asks her right away. Seulgi hoped to avoid this conversation. She knows her girlfriend though, Joohyun wouldn’t have accepted this distance without them talking it out. Not that, Seulgi can blame her. She has been putting up a certain distance between them. If the situation was in reverse. She’d want to know why, Joohyun was avoiding her too.

 

“Hyunnie, I’ve just been busy with school.”

 

It’s not exactly a lie. She has been busy with school, and extracurricular activities too. It’s still not a good enough excuse to miss out on dates, or end phone calls sooner than they need to be.

 

“I understand, you’re busy now, but I need you to tell me the full truth. What’s really going on with you, baby?”

 

She sounds so worried about her. Seulgi should have known she can’t keep much of anything away from her girlfriend. It’s kind of hard to do this with someone who knows you so well. Joohyun is looking at her with the worry to match her tone. It’s probably better if she just tells her what’s going on.

 

“I know I said that I stopped feeling insecure. I did, for a while. I really did.” Seulgi admits with a crack in her voice. “I just keep wondering if I should get the surgery. I’ve always thought maybe I should, but then sometimes, I’ll look in the mirror, and imagine how different I would look. Then maybe I wonder, just maybe….I’d look better.”

 

“No, don’t say that.” The shorter, raven cups her face tenderly in both of her hands. She proceeds to place those familiar, soft kisses against her eyelids. Just as she said she would do whenever she felt insecure.

 

“You are so beautiful, Kang Seulgi. Your eyes are not a flaw, or any sort of imperfection.” She then kisses her lips. “You are so beautiful.”

 

“Hyunnie…”

 

“You don’t need to change anything. I love you, for all that you are.”

 

“I love you too, so much.” Seulgi promises, and takes her girlfriend’s words to heart. Joohyun has never not once assured her that she is beautiful. Now all she has to do is believe them too.

 

(End)


 

“I remember, Hyunnie. You never let me forget.”

 

“Seul, you’re perfect for me. I love everything about you. You do not need to change anything. I hope you know that now.”

 

The brunette nods, and kisses the raven’s lips softly. There couldn’t be enough words to being to show, Joohyun how grateful she is to her. Joohyun, keeps on showing her again, over and over how much she loves her.

 

“I won’t. I haven’t thought about changing my monolids in years.”

 

“Good.” Joohyun nods. “They are really pretty, baby. I love them.” She smiles, as she has always adored, Seulgi’s eyes. She doesn’t care if she has to remind, Seulgi everyday of how wonderful she is. If that’s what she has to do then she will. The slightly taller woman blushes red when, Joohyun tells her that her eyes are pretty. Whenever, Joohyun compliments her, or tell her that she loves her. It makes Seulgi’s heart feel warm. She’s very lucky to have Joohyun in her life.

 

“Hyunnie, I promise that I’m no longer thinking about anything like that. I’m focusing on more important things, like the future. Um, our future.” Seulgi admits with a smile. Joohyun smiles back. She likes the sound of looking forward to the future, and especially if it’s about their future.

 

“I really like the sound of that, Seul.” She kisses her cheek, and lets her finish washing the dishes. Joohyun has also been thinking a lot about their future. They’ve been together already 8 years, and sure they live together. They are also in a very serious, and committed relationship, but maybe it’s time they make things more permanent between them. Joohyun waits until Seulgi finishes washing the dishes, and calls her to come join her in the bedroom. When, Seulgi does get there it’s to see no immediate sign of her shorter girlfriend. Then suddenly she feels two hands covering her eyes. Then a soft, husky voice in her ear.

 

“Hi, baby.” There’s a playful tone in her voice. It makes Seulgi laugh in amusement. She turns around to face the raven.

 

“Hey, so….why are we here in the bedroom?”

 

“Are you complaining? We have a lot of fun here, don’t we?”

 

“Yeah.” Seulgi agrees. That’s true, but it doesn’t explain, why they are standing here in the bedroom. Joohyun must have something planned.

 

“What’s going on, Hyunnie?”

 

“First, I need you to close your eyes.”

 

“Okay.” She nods, and does close her eyes as asked. Joohyun gives her hand a gentle squeeze, before going to grab a small box from one of her dresser drawers. She nervously holds the box in her hand for a few moments. She knows logically that she shouldn’t be this nervous. It’s Seulgi, her love, and best friend. They’ve been together such a long time, and there is nothing to be scared about. The raven walks back over to her girlfriend, and kisses her lips.

 

“Um, is this something new?” Seulgi asks in a genuine tone, and it sounds too cute to the older woman’s ears. Joohyun smiles, and sits her down on the bed.

 

“No, nothing new. Okay, open your eyes.”

 

Seulgi does and sees how Joohyun is looking both excited and nervous. She wants to ask her if anything if wrong, but Joohyun, gently pressing a finger to her lips.

 

“I need to do this first, because I’m really nervous. All I need you to do is listen, okay.”

 

Seulgi nods. She’ll do anything, Joohyun needs from her. This woman has always been there for her. Whatever she needs now she will have. Seulgi squeezes her hand to let her know it will be fine.

 

“Tell me, Hyunnie.”

 

“Okay.” The raven smiles. “We’ve been together a long time, Seul. I feel so lucky every morning and every night I wake up or go to sleep besides you. I’ve never felt this way for anyone else in my life, sweetie. You’re my soulmate, and other half. I just know that we were meant to be together.”

 

Seulgi feels the same. She knows that, Joohyun is her other half, and soulmate. She doesn’t want to ever think of them being without each other, or living a life apart.

 

“That’s why, I’m asking you right here, and right now if you will be, my wife.” Joohyun opens the box to show off the very pretty, princess cut engagement ring. The kind of ring that, Joohyun must have spent some time putting the money away for. Seulgi’s eyes go wide in surprise. Is this really happening?

 

“Hyun, I….”

 

Joohyun her cheek lovingly. “I don’t want to just be your girlfriend anymore, Seulgi. I want for you to be my wife, and for me to be yours. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, loving you, and being just yours, always. So, all you have to do is say, yes.”

 

Seulgi, is definitely crying by now. How could she not? With such a beautiful, thoughtful proposal and her amazing girlfriend, asking her to be, her wife. She doesn’t want to be with anyone else at all. There is no person, she wants to spend the rest of her life with, but Joohyun.

 

“Y-yes…” She nods, with tears. “Of course, yes.”
 

“I love you.” Joohyun smiles, and places the ring to her finger. Seulgi whispers, she loves her back, before Joohyun pulls her into an immediate, tender kiss. Seulgi is going to be her wife, and that’s all that matters to her. When she ends the kiss on her lips. She once again kisses her monolids. This time it makes, Seulgi chuckle at the contact.

 

“You’re still going to do that?”

 

“Of course.” Joohyun nods. “I love your eyes, and I will remind you for the rest of our lives. Since you’re going to be, my wife.”

 

Seulgi smiles in gratitude, despite her tears. Once upon a time, she couldn’t have imagined she’d fully accept her monolids. They were always once a flaw, or imperfection. A character defect that she needed to fix, until Joohyun came into her life, and showed her that wasn’t true. Her eyes, were no flaw, or any imperfection, and there was certainly nothing defective about her.

 

“So, even when, I’m all old and gray. You’ll still kiss my eyes to make sure, I know.”

 

Joohyun proves she will with more kisses against her eyelids.

 

“I will be old and gray too, by then.” She laughs. “But, even then I will reach over for you. With my wrinkled hands and all, just to make sure you know, how very beautiful you are to me, Seul.”

 

“You’re beautiful too, Hyunnie. You take my breath away everyday I see you, and that will never change.”

 

The raven feels her own face heat up at, Seulgi’s sweet declaration. She knows they will live their best life together, as an eventual married couple.  Joohyun kisses her hand that has the engagement ring on it. Seulgi is going to be her wife. The very thoughts of it, make her feel so incredibly happy. She loves this woman more than anything else in the world, and can’t wait to begin the next chapter of their lives.

 

“I hope you still say that when I’m old, and gray.” Joohyun teases.

 

“I’ll never let you forget, Hyunnie. I’ll keep on reminding you, just like you have always kept reminding me. I love you, and I can’t wait to be your wife.”

 

“I can’t wait either. We’ll always be there to remind each other, no matter what, how much we mean to one another.”

 

Seulgi agrees. She couldn’t imagine another person on this earth that is so perfect for her than, Joohyun. The couple end up laying in bed talking for hours, about their future. It’s bright, full of possibilities, and belongs to them. They can do anything, as long as they are together. Seulgi wraps her arms, around the raven, holding her close to her as they cuddle. They talk for so long, that even the brunette starts to drift off a few times. Soon, she is fast asleep to no surprise of Joohyun. The older woman, leans up to place the same kisses against both of her eyelids. Same like, when she wakes up, Joohyun is sure to give the same delicate, and loving kisses to her monolids. She has done this for years, and she will continue to do so. She will never let, Seulgi forget how beautiful she is, and that her eyes are gorgeous, and in no way an imperfection.


 

A/N: Again, Happy Seulrene day!!! I’m not sure if this was exactly what I was going for, but overall I think it was a sweet, fluffy, romantic read. And definitely relationship goals. Everyone should have this healthy, loving sort of relationship, or we can all hope anyway lol. Thanks for reading.