Chapter 1

The Witch of Jagged Grove

"Oh be careful!"
Yongguk smiled to himself while hearing those words. He wasn't very far off of the ground, but to know how concerned she was still made his heart flutter. He stretched his hand up and grasped the ripe persimmon with his hand. Then he looked down at the woman near him. "Here." he said and tossed it to her.
She gasped in surprise as she hurriedly brought her hands up. She caught it easily and then beamed at him while she held up her treasure.
He let out a small chuckle at her reaction. "Any others?"
"No." she replied with a quick shake of her head. "Come down before you fall."
Carefully, he walked down the branch a ways before stepping off of it. He landed on the ground, making sure the bend his knees to cushion the impact. Then he straightened and brushed his hands together. "See? Easy."
She gave him a playful glare and then turned away. He followed after her as she went back to the spot they had been previously sitting at. That's where she had pointed at the persimmon that was redder than the others on the tree. As soon as she commented about tasting it, he had gotten up and fetched it for her. Once they were sitting on the grass again, she started nibbling on her treat, being careful to not let the juicy fruit drip on to her dress.
"Is it as good as it looks?" he amusingly asked her.
She nodded eagerly before offering it to him. He declined, content on watching her enjoy it.
"I wish there was a persimmon tree by my window." she suddenly blurted out loud. "Then every time I wanted one, I can just reach outside and take one."
Yongguk chuckled again. She always had a habit of speaking her mind without thinking. Even when they were little kids playing together. She was scolded for it sometimes, but it was something he liked about her.
"I'll plant one for you then."
She paused and blinked at him in surprise for a moment before a shy smile spread on her face. "Thank you... Yongguk."
His heart skipped a beat and he smiled as well. "You're welcome... Jinhee."
As soon as her name left his lips, she blushed and looked away. There was no mistaking the happiness that shown in her eyes though.
They sat there in silence while she finished eating, even her fingers clean. Which made him laugh and she elbowed him in response. Then they stood and Yongguk grabbed the umbrella. He opened it and held it over her head, shielding her from the autumn sun.
As they made their way back to the gate though, Yongguk could feel the somber mood descend on them. And then a slight feeling of dread as he saw Jinhee's father approaching the gate from the main path. The man noticed them and stopped, waiting for them.
"Father." Jinhee greeted. "You're home early."
"My business didn't take me as long as I expected." he replied. "Run along inside now."
She nodded before turning to Yongguk and taking the umbrella from him. "Thank you for walking with me."
"Yes, Miss." he automatically answered with a little bow.
Jinhee walked through the gate and into the courtyard. Yongguk wanted to watch her, see if she looked back at him or not, but he didn't dare as her father stepped closer to him. He cast his gaze downwards to the ground and bowed his head.
"I believe we've already had this discussion."
Yongguk swallowed thickly. "Yes, My Lord. I was merely watching over her while she went for a walk."
The older man let out a disapproving tsk. "You are merely a servant. Jinhee will marry someone of noble birth. Which... has been settled."
He inhaled sharply as a chill went through him.
"That was what my meeting today was about. We have arranged her marriage to the eldest son of a minster."
It felt like his heart was being cut out of his chest. Yet he couldn't show it. Blinking back tears, he swallowed again to make sure his voice was steady. "That is wonderful news, My Lord."
"Yes, it is." Then the man stepped through the gate, leaving Yongguk alone.
Yongguk allowed himself a few seconds to compose himself before following after, hiding his emotions and his feelings for the daughter of his master.

"It just wasn't meant to be. You'll move on."
Those words were suppose to be comforting but it mostly just left him feeling sick. Yongguk picked at his dinner, barely eating any of it. The rest of the day had gone by in a bit of a blur, his mind consumed with the thought of Jinhee's marriage. Once that happened, she would leave her father's household to go live with her husband's family. Then there would be no more sneaking glances. No more hearing her laughter from across the courtyard. No more walks to the persimmon tree...
Laughter broke him out of his thoughts, irritating him. How could someone be so happy while he felt like he was dying?? He turned to two other servants and glared at them. "Quiet down!" he snapped.
The two men grew quiet as they stared at him, only to break out in to laughter once more. Yongguk gritted his teeth, willing himself to calm down before he started throwing punches.
"This guy claims he went and saw the witch himself." one of them stated. "I say he's a liar though."
The second man pouted. "But I did see her!"
"Oh yeah? What did you with for?"
"Uh..." The male hesitated as a slight blush covered his face. "I... I can't say. It's a secret. Otherwise it won't come true."
This brought on another round of laughter, but Yongguk scrunched up his face in confusion. "Witch? What witch?"
The two men stared at him in surprise. "You've never heard of her??"
"The Witch of Jagged Grove."
Yongguk turned back to his friend. "Jagged Grove?"
His friend nodded his head. "She's rumored to show up at night by the waterfall there. They say if she likes you, she'll grant you a wish. If she doesn't though, she'll curse you and you'll suffer an agonizing death."
"A... wish?" Yongguk's heart skipped a beat.
"Anything your heart desires."

Yongguk stumbled through the forest, the branches tugging his clothes. He glanced around to make sure he was still heading the right direction but with only the moon being his light, it was hard to tell. He was so intent on his mission, he didn't think to bring a lantern with him.
At that moment, he heard the sound of rushing water and gasped. He followed the sound to a large boulder that had been split in two. He could see a grove of trees past it, as well as a pool of water. He squeezed through the crack and when he emerged on the other side, he instantly saw the waterfall.
While he was happy to have found the place, a sense of dread overtook him as well. He accepted the risk in coming here though. If there really was a witch and she didn't like him, he was prepared to die. Once Jinhee was married, there was nothing else for him to live for.
Movement caught his attention and he quickly turned. His eyes widened as a woman stood at the edge of the pool. He was sure she hadn't been there before. The grey cloak she wore seemed to almost shimmer in the moonlight as she regarded him thoughtfully.
"What are you doing here?" she asked
He swallowed and his lips. "I... I'm... Are you..."
A small smile formed on her face and she slowly walked closer. Yongguk froze where he stood, unable to move or take his eyes off of her. She stopped in front of him and tilted her head. "Am I what?"
He almost didn't want to say the words but he forced them out. "The Witch of Jagged Grove."
The woman let out a small laugh. "And what do you wish for?"
His heartbeat sped up. "Jinhee." he uttered without thinking. Then he blushed as shook his head slightly. "She... She's the daughter of my master and because of my status, we..."
"Do you love her?"
Yongguk felt himself blush once more. Love? He had never quite said that word out loud, but in his heart he knew what he felt. "Yes."
Pressing her lips together, the witch stood there silently in thought. Yongguk waited, wondering if she would grant his wish or kill him right here. His gaze traveled downwards as he noticed her fingers brushing a brown jar by her side, hanging there by rope.
"Do you have anyone else dear to you? Family, or a friend?"
He looked back up and blinked in surprise. "Uh... I... I have a friend. He.."
"He will be your price." she stated, interrupting him. "I shall grant your wish, and you in turn must return here tomorrow night. If you do not, your friend will suffer greatly, along with everyone he cares for."
Yongguk inhaled sharply. This was it. He and Jinhee would be together. "Yes." he eagerly agreed. "I swear I'll come back."
"Good." She smiled warmly at him. "I will see you then."

"Wake up!"
Yongguk was shaken awake and he blinked groggily. He had gotten back so late, he hadn't even bothered to remove his clothes before laying down. Then he quickly sat up as adrenaline pumped through him, wondering how badly he had overslept. He had to get his work done for the day. When he looked over at his friend though, he inhaled sharply. The man's eyes were red from crying.
"Yongguk." he sobbed. "I'm so sorry."
"Wha..." There was a moment of confusion before a sudden thought struck him. Then he threw his blanket aside and scrambled to his feet.
"Wait!"
Yongguk pushed past him and hurried outside the small building. Other servants milled about, crying as they carried out various tasks. His feet seemed to move on their own as he shuffled towards the main house. That's when he could hear the pained wailing coming from inside the home.
His legs gave out on him and he crumbled to the ground. This couldn't be real. Not after last night. He and Jinhee were suppose to live happily together. He stared at the window on the side of the house. The same one he had promised to plant a persimmon tree by.
Arms wrapped around him and urged him back. "You can't be here. If the master sees..."
Yongguk didn't care anymore. Nothing mattered. His life was well and truly over now. Tears clouded his vision before streaming down his cheeks. He let out a sob as his body began to shake. "Jinhee, Jinhee, Jinhee."
"Shhhh!" His friend tried tugging on him some more but Yongguk stubbornly refused to move. Then other hands grabbed him and they finally managed to drag him away. They took him back to the servant's quarters and dropped him on to his bedding.
"Stay here for the day. We'll prepare for the funeral."

It was night by the time Yongguk emerged, having laid in bed all day. He was brought food that he didn't eat but otherwise he was left alone. Except for one person. His friend had checked on him throughout the day, comforting him the best he could. It was for that reason only that Yongguk had remembered his promise to the witch. He had to return to her so his friend didn't suffer.
He made his way through the forest, not caring about the branches snagging his clothes this time. If the tore, that was fine. The thought of living past tonight was too much to bear so he had no need of clothes. Perhaps since the witch couldn't grant him his wish, she would be kind enough to give him a bit of poison to take.
Slipping through the crack in the large border, Yongguk glanced around the area and spotted a woman by the waterfall. He went to her and noticed she wasn't wearing her grey cloak like before despite the air getting colder. She had her back to him but when he was closer, she turned around to face.
Yongguk came to a sudden halt as his eyes widened in shock. "Wha..."
"Yongguk, you came." Jinhee said as she smiled at him.
Was this real? He had mourned his beloved all day and yet she was standing before him now. "Is it... Are you really..."
She giggled a little and moved closer. She grabbed his hand and squeezed it, signaling to him that she was indeed real. She wasn't a ghost or a figment of his imagination. "You made a wish." she told him. "And now we can be together forever."
Yongguk's heart burst in his chest. More tears formed in his eyes, only this time they were tears of relief and happiness. They would be together now. Maybe live out in the forest. He would build her a hut and plant seven persimmon trees for her.
"That is what you want right?" she questioned.
"Yes." he hurriedly replied. "Yes. I just can't... I'm so happy you're alive."
Another giggle that made his heart flutter. Then she stepped even closer, close enough that his heart raced in his chest. She peered in to his eyes with a doubtful look. "Yongguk... Do you... love me?"
Staring in to her eyes, her hand in his, there was no doubt. "Yes. I love you Jinhee."
Jinhee smiled. "That makes me so happy." She leaned forward and touched her lips to his.
He was shocked over her bold action, yet he didn't pull away. His eyes slowly closed as he relished the sweet kiss.
Suddenly a sharp pain made him cry out as he stumbled backwards. He gaped down at his stomach, seeing his blood soaking his clothes. Then he looked up to see a knife in Jinhee's hand.
"Wha..." He fell to his knees as the world spun. He watched as Jinhee walked over to the waterfall and pulled out a bundle hidden behind it. It was the grey cloak the witch had worn.
Jinhee knelt beside him and unwrapped the cloak. She grabbed the brown jar and pried the lid off before grabbing the knife once more.
Yongguk whimpered as she held the knife up. This wasn't his Jinhee. This wasn't the same girl he had picked persimmons for.
The woman reached out with her free hand and caressed his cheek. "It's okay. It'll be over soon and you'll be reunited with your love." Her hand trailed down to his chest. "And the love you feel in your heart for her will sustain me for another hundred years. I just have to cut it out and put it in my jar."