Single Chapter

Cafe Mocha Please

Yeeun faced the wide open eyes in front of her, waiting for an answer. Her heart was beating so fast it was nearly stopping from such hard work.

She managed, somehow, to look completely fine and calm, but she was not.

- Give me a caffe mocha please. - and when the lady was starting to turn away she completed - and your phone number.

// 

It all started a few months before. Yeeun used to go to that one coffee shop, so there was no way she couldn't noticed when this girl started working there. In her name sign was written "Elkie" and she had such a beautiful and cute face and gestures, Yeeun couldn't help but fall for her.

It may seem weird putting things like that. But it wasn't love at first sign. Jang Yeeun had always noticed how pretty the other girl were, but everyone seemed to do the same. People would often enter the place and be mesmerized by such beauty.

No, it wasn't a feeling based off appearences. It was much more than that.

Yeeun would often be stressed because of university and somehow, Elkie's voice felt so softly in her ears, even if she was just saying a sentence or two. She liked that voice, that made her nerves calm down for a while. 

Her gestures were also a big factor. Whenever Yeeun saw her preparing her coffee and giving her change she liked to admire her cute way to move her hands and fingers.

Maybe she was kind of acting like a stalker, once no one would notice such things. But seeing her face, her moves and listening to her soft voice everyday made her fall, undoubtly.

Before, she used to go there two times a week. But before she could notice, she was attending the place every day it was open. Elkie only worked from 6P.M until it was time to close and it was the same hour she had to leave to university so she started going a bit late.

But it doesn't matter, Yeeun though, it doesn't matter since I can see her face almost everyday and I can hear her voice and fall even harder for her.

She always ordered the same thing and as she approchead the balcony, she wanted the other girl to remember her face and remember what kind of coffee she wanted. When you think that Yeeun went there five days a week and always ordered the same thing, you think it's almost impossible for Elkie to not know her or what kind of coffee she wanted. But apparently, she didn't know.

- Hello, how can I help you today? - Elkie asked with that same soft voice that made Yeeun's heart skip a beat.

- Give me a caffe mocha, please.

And the other girl turned to prepare her coffee. When she finally got it, she had to go to university so she said bye with a smile and headed to the street, giving a last gaze for the girl behind the shop counter.

// 

The sky was cloudy that day and it made Yeeun sad. She always felt like that in Winter. Doctors called that "Seasonal Sadness" and she was not in the mood to leave her house. 
She wanted to see Elkie, but for the first time she wondered if that was worthy. The girl didnt even seem to remember her and she wasn't brave enough to take a step forward. Maybe it was time to let her futile crush aside and move on. Focus os university maybe?

Thinking about this, she noticed she could not miss the class so she put a lot of effort in getting up from bed and dressing properly.

But just when she was making her way at the street, it started to rain really heavily and her umbrella wasn't able to protect her because of the strong wind. The coffee shop was nearby and there was no other stores in that street, only houses. So she had nothing to do but to enter the place. 

Elkie was in her position like always and the shop was filled with people, whose were also running from the rain.
She took a table and kept scrolling throught her phone. She told herself she would only be there until it was safe to use her umbrella. After a few minutes, she lifted her head and caught Elkie looking at her. The girl then stood up and made her way to the shop counter. 

- How may I help you? - Elkie asked with the same vivid smile.

- Give me a…

- Caffe Mocha, right? - Yeeun nodded.

Just when the girl turned her back to prepare the coffee, Yeeun noticed what happened. That woman knew what she was going to ask. She remembered. It made Yeeun's heart beat faster and faster and she couldn't control it anymore. But when the other girl appeared, her bravery vanished away and she just took the coffee and went back to her table.

//

Yeeun couldn't remember the last time she actually slept. The amount of caffeine in her organism wasn't letting her breathe, causing her to be anxious and to have insomnia. 

So she finally made a decision.

It had to be the last time she went to that coffee shop. She might have got a hint last night, once Elkie remembered her. But to remember someone and to reciprocate their feelings are two very different things.

So it was run or ride.

She was so nervous when she picked her best outfit, thinking in thousands of things at the same time. 

When she pushed the door, she saw Elkie looking to a magazine. Then Yeeun walked foward gathering all the courage she could.

- How may I help you? - Elkie made the habitual question.

Yeeun faced the wide open eyes in front of her, waiting for an answer. Her heart was beating so fast it was nearly stopping from such hard work.

She managed, somehow, to look completely fine and calm, but she was not.

- Give me a caffe mocha please. - and when the lady was starting to turn away she completed - and your phone number.

Elkie froze for a moment.

- Excuse me?

- I'd like to talk to you.

The place was totally empty, Yeeun was willing to skip her classes so there was no better time than that.

- Why? What? - Elkie asked, trying to make her voice as low as possible.

- I like you - Yeeun said those words straight in her face and a second after she could feel her cheeks turning red. She was to obvious, she just wanted to hide herself under one of the tables.

Elkie just stared at her with a blank expression.

- What are you saying?

But Yeeun had already ran out of courage. She just muttered a "I'm sorry" and walked past the door, getting to the street. She wanted to shout out, she screwed everything and now she wouldn't even be able to come back there.

A few seconds later the door opened and Yeeun felt a hand in her shoulder.

- What are you doing? - Elkie asked her.

There was nothing more to lose right? It wouldn't make any difference now…

So Yeeun leaned forward and said, close to Elkie's face:

- I like you since the first day I see you. I like your soft voice when you talk, I like the way you put your hair behind your ear, I like... 

Yeeun could not say a thing anymore, because Elkie pulled her close and kissed her lips softly.

- I do like you too.

- You what? - Yeeun was completely lost. - Y-you couldn't even remember my order.

- I did. I just liked to hear your voice saying it.

The two of them entered the store again. Elkie had to stop to take a customer's order but it hadn't took much time.

- So… - Yeeun started.

- I don't think we can start it like this. We should have a proper date. What do you think? 

- I agree - the girl answered, feeling her heart fluttering. It was like everything around her were singing and dancing, just like in a kid's cartoon.

//

One day after their confession, they decided to have a date at the same coffee shop they met. Everything was going well and they got to know each other a lot more.

Then, Yeeun remembered something.

- You said you liked to hear my voice, that's why you wouldn't repeat my orders, right? - Elkie nodded - So why did you say my order that day?

- Because - she started. She pushed her cup a little bit forward and got her hand on her chin - Because I saw in your eyes you weren't interested anymore. And I got scared.

"I never trusted this kind of feeling. When you fall for someone in such a random place. But you'd come here so much and I really think I got to know you. I got to know your music taste by the shirt you were wearing. I got to know your favorite type of coffee and even your favorite candies, when you asked for them. I may not know everything about you, but I'd like to try".

She said and faced Yeeun. Then it started raining and both of them looked through the window at the same time.

- Maybe I allow you to get to know me - Yeeun said, giving a slight smile.