[I]

Somebody to you

“You do know that just because you confess there is no guarantee it will be a happily ever after, right?” Chanyeol tried to voice out his opinion one more time for his best friend who is determined to confess to a girl he has been crushing on. “It is not the confession I am against, but your way is too risky.”

“Yeol, you are supposed to be on my side.” Baekhyun muttered under his breath, annoyed that his friend thinks confessing on the last day of sophomore class, on prom night, in front of everyone is a bad idea.

Yeah well, most people share Chanyeol’s rational thoughts unless the guy is the prince charming of the school which Baekhyun definitely wasn’t. Even though that didn’t hold down the guy. The guy is all in or nothing. No middle ground.

“Of course I am on your side. That is why I am against this. This is actually my duty as your best friend. To try to stop you when you are thinking of doing something stupid and ruining your school life. Singing a love song, Baek? That is suicide.”

Chanyeol was struggling by trying to keep up with his friend pace while also trying to make him see the reality side of this whole singing confessing thing.

On the other hand, Baekhyun was in a different world. He knew his friend was worried about him. Even though he will be happy if he got accepted, Chanyeol wanted to make sure his friend knew there is always a negative side of things. On top of all that, both of them are still sophomore. How would they pass all the teasing for the next two years if all these go down the drain? Chanyeol surly didn’t want to think of that.

So the only choice left in the hand is to stop his friend from entering the prom hall any minute now.

Chanyeol grabbed his friend’s wrist and looked him in the eye.

“Are you sure you want to do this, Baek?”

Baekhyun stayed silent for a minute and gazed into the room where everyone had worn dresses and suits in every kind.

“Yes, I am sure. I have received my share of love letters, so I am not the school nerd here.” Baekhyun chuckled, his gaze still stuck in the room.

Chanyeol looked to the direction the shorter guy was staring to and his gaze ended on June. She was laughing with her friends, wearing a white dress that got to her knee. She is indeed pretty, Chanyeol admitted in his head. He sighed and let go of his friend’s wrist.

“Good luck then.” He patted his shoulder and went in, to the tables where drinks were served.

Once Chanyeol left, Baekhyun chanted in his head this is it twice and went in.

Inside, the hall was decorated and everyone seemed to be having a good time. Dancing and laughing. On one corner he saw his fellow singing club members and waved. Alice who was beside them, drink in her hand walked to him pushing through the crowd.

“Just in time.” She smiled. “You are next.” She ushered him to the stage and gave him the microphone. Little did she know he was using the opportunity to announce his love for his little crush.

The fast tempo that was blaring through the speaker slowed down and a “Thank you.” was heard as a cheering burst out loud from the crowd. Alice nodded to him and Baekhyun picked up his guitar. He ran his hand through his hair and walked out to the stage.

The spot light shifted to him and the crowd went crazy clapping and cheering him on. He felt his nerves doing injustice to him as his heart beat climbed up, building up in his body. However he swallowed it in and smiled lightly. A clap and cheer with a loud whistle was heard from one side which garnered a round of chuckles but was silent again once he string lightly on the guitar.

Beginning of the song.

While playing the first few seconds of the song, he searched for June in the crowd and found her in one corner with all her attention on him, Chanyeol just behind her. Just another performance he chanted in his head when he felt his heart beat pick up its pace before singing the first verses of the song.

 

I used to wanna be

Living lie there is only me

But now I spend the time

Thinking about a way to get you off my mind

 

Baekhyun first saw June when she transferred to their school. Pretty face, new student. No new big deal. Until one day she came to their singing club and became a member. She was rather a quiet girl, he noticed, and polite. The kind of girl people easily liked. But that wasn’t the charm Baekhyun was pulled to. Her voice was the magic spell that worked on him. As much as he didn’t want to admit, he found himself listening to the echo of her singing late night when he was about to sleep.

 

I used to be so tough, never really gave enough

And then you caught my eyes

giving me the feeling of belated strike

 

It was strange for him at first. He wasn’t used to thinking about others. He has his best friend Chanyeol whom he has known since early childhood. Other than that he was used to being alone. He was on the receiver side of a few confessions, but he never really was interested.

 

Look at me now I am falling

Can’t even stop stuttering

This ground of mine keep shaking

 

But then things started changing. He began thinking about her more. However he didn’t have enough courage so he chose to avoid her in rehearsal. He didn’t want to make a fool out of himself. He even began to feel angry when she talked to other guys. Talk about possessiveness when she isn’t even his.

 

All I wanna be, all I ever wanna be is

Somebody to you.

All I wanna be all I ever wanna be is

Somebody to you.

 Everybody is trying to be a billionaire

But every time I look at you, I just don’t care

Cause All I wanna be, all I ever wanna be is

Somebody to you.

 

Baekhyun was enjoying his own performance more than he thought he would. The song was conveying his feelings and he felt himself blushing once or twice when he stole glance to June and she was smiling and enjoying his song as well.

When he finished the chorus, he stole glance again to June to find her gone from the place she was standing. He felt himself panicking but forced his nerves to cool down and finish the song and in the mean time find her in the crowd.

When he was about to continue singing, he heard a female voice that was oddly familiar singing the exact verse he was about to sing. He looked to the direction the voice was coming from and to his utter disbelief his gaze fell on the least girl he expected, June.

 

I used to run around I didn’t wanna settle down

But now I wake each day

looking for a way I can see your face

 

June was as a matter of fact in disbelief herself with her actions. She couldn’t believe she was trying to sing with the person she least expected with and more importantly, with no plans made beforehand.

In all the truth, June took interest in Baekhyun the day she transferred to her new school but the fact he never talked to her in class or rehearsed with her in the singing club deemed her hopes.

She liked him. She looked forward to seeing him in school but the fact he avoided her in halls and even club meetings made her think he truly didn’t have interest in her. Being the rational girl she is, that made her keep her distance and not ask him why he avoids her cause well, he doesn’t have an obligation to do otherwise really.

 

I got your photograph

but baby I need more than that

I need to know your lips

nothing ever mattered for me more than this

 

However things were getting out of control on her side. She was obviously falling for him but didn’t know how to say it out loud. She might be a little sociable yet got no experience when it comes to dating and relationships.

But when she heard Chanyeol mutter to himself earlier about Baekhyun confessing tonight, something inside her sparkled. She no more wanted to keep it inside. She didn’t want it to end before it began and little later on she found herself holding the mic and joining Baekhyun.

 

Look at me now I am falling

Can’t even stop stuttering

This ground of mine keeps shaking

 

Baekhyun was in shock, he didn’t think in his wildest dreams he would sing with her like this but then he felt like he is complete. They sang the chorus facing each other, harmonizing perfectly. There may not have been a preparation for it but both of them felt like they are made for one another. Practiced the song like thousand times before. Both faces glowing and a loud cheer backing them up, the song kept flowing without an error.

 

All I wanna be is somebody to you.

 

Baekhyun and June finished their song with their grin gracing their faces still and the crowd cheering loudly.

They left the stage and suddenly the past five minutes came back to them as both of them remained silent.

Baekhyun remembered what he planned and snapped his head high and looked to June. Staring into her eyes, the words got stuck in his throat. And smiling bashfully, she said it out loud for him, “I like you Byun Baekhyun.”

He grinned and engulfed her in his embrace. “I like you June. Will you let me be that somebody to you?”

Chuckling, she nodded.

Still grinning, he broke the hug and intertwined his hands with hers.

Baekhyun saw his friend at the back eye rolling before holding his two thumbs up in the air.

Baekhyun still having a grin plastered on his face marched to his best friend, his girlfriend by his side oblivious to the fact his muttering had to do with this sudden duet song and that followed it and earlier that evening he was so much against.

 

 


A/N

Cute right? I first got the idea when I was talking with my little sister. She was blabbering about the clip of the song that I thought how adorable would it be if someone confesses with a song?

And when you are talking about adorable well, Baek comes with it. I hope you enjoyed the stolen glances moments while you read as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I wish that my friends would get confessions like this rather than some electric shock comments or crappy hallway interaction. (You know yourselves).

I wouldn’t mind anything as long as Baek does it.