Muffins, Coffee, and Sweetness

Cookies and Muffins: A Love Story

"... as long as you determine the second derivative of function G at X, the function itself as shown on your graphing calculators will determine which X value will be the point of inflection where..." The professor's voice droned inside the classroom, like the most boring song stuck on replay. Instead of a song, however, everything was filled with math equations and variables. She sighed quietly, looking at the typical school clock that hung on the wall. 

 

*Tick* *Tock* 

 

She was bored. Bored just like someone watching the paint dry. Bored just like waiting for water to boil. Bored as bored can be. Bored. 

 

Time seemed to pass by even slower as Jisoo sat there, hoping that something could relieve herself from the boredom. The empty spaces of what hasn't been covered in derivatives in her notebook enticed her to start filling them in with small drawings of whatever she had thought of. At the top of the page, right beside the glaring topic title, Jisoo started to draw a red wooden barn, on the right filled with fields of corn, and the left with animals galore. A small dog frolicked in the pasture, with small blades of grass being thrown into the air. Chickens pecked the ground for the little bits of food the farmer threw. Cows with elongated necks the size of giraffes started eating from trees. A light-pink pig the size of the barn let out a small baaaa, just like a sheep.  

 

A sudden chuckle beside Jisoo startled her, prompting her to turn around to face whoever it was. Much to her surprise, it turns out that she wasn't sitting alone in the back of the rather small classroom, but instead, with another girl. Her round glasses caught Jisoo's attention first, but there were other peculiar features that stood out: she had a small stack of notebooks in the corner of the desk with plastic container filled to the brim with cookies and muffins on top of it, her long black hair contrasted against her light-blue sweater, and the gentle smile that didn't fit the gloomy atmosphere at all. 

 

"Hey, how about drawing a rabbit with kangaroo legs?" Her quiet voice caught Jisoo's attention again, and she immediately nodded as the idea passed through her head. Not even a few seconds go by as Jisoo's pencil slid across the page, and out popped the fuzziest creature known to man that leaped through the clouds with its bent legs. The cute, muffled laughter came from the girl again, and this time, Jisoo couldn't hold back a quiet laugh of her own. Immediately, inspiration popped into her head, and she started to draw the next animal, this time a blue crow that laughed like a hyena. 

 

Before long, the two of them couldn't hold back their smiles as their creations started to become more wild and ridiculous, filling the margins with pencil lead. What started with animals now became a whole world of unusual, yet mesmerizing creatures. 

 

Sunflowers with leaves made out of horsetail, flying sheep with laser eyes blinding the eight-eyed blue jays, lettuce made out of pork chops growing out of the ground, tomatoes that rapped sick beats, ducks with arms instead of wings, a horse with a purple coloured mane that meows like a cat, and so on the list went.

 

Between the small movements of pushing the notebook back and forth, time flew by as they drew and admired each other's designs. It didn't feel like the two of them just met, yet a connection slowly formed between them through weird creatures, and a mutual dislike for math. Much to Jisoo's dismay, however, the professor started to change topics, and their little drawing session had to end.

 

Right when she was about to turn the page, a muffin appeared onto her book as if by magic. She held it in her hand, and when she looked at the girl once more, she was greeted with her mouthing what seemed like the words "Go on, try it!". She looked at it, and then back at her, hesitating to do so. Should she? She shook her head and gave in, biting down on the muffin top, not knowing what would come out of it...

 

... and yet she didn't die, nor did anything seem to destroy her taste buds. It wasn't something weird like a watermelon-and-yogurt based concoction, but rather, it was incredibly delicious! Despite being in a plastic box, it still had the lingering warmth from being baked, and it had a thin layer of white chocolate that emphasized the exquisite taste of the dark chocolate. It was pleasant and enchanting, like a nexus of sweet and bitter flavours melding into one. 

 

She turned back at the girl, and she could see a cheeky grin appear on her face, as if she was proudly victorious with her muffins. Her smile was endearing, reminding her of how her little sister smiled a while back when they were celebrating her birthday, and she felt the sudden urge to pinch her cheeks. It was weird having that urge, but she held it in and responded with her own smile and a quiet "thanks". 

 

Returning back to the reality of sitting in math class, Jisoo's mood dropped back to a solemn world as the next page of her notebook started filling up once more. It was a relief that not much time was left, yet time seemed to drag out once again. She was now distracted, however, at her own incredibly delayed reaction of someone seeing her drawings. It felt a bit embarrassing thinking back to it since she always kept them a secret, even to her roommates. Maybe she could draw something less adorable and awkward to explain to people next time. Maybe she should hold back from drawing in class in the first place. Maybe... 

 

The thought was pushed back, however, when a notification flashed on her phone, followed by the ever-familiar vibration. After swiping her finger over the screen and opening the chat, Jisoo smiled as she saw the dreary "good mornings" pop up. She could feel another smile rise onto her face, and it positively warmed her heart, seeing her roommates try to wake up early. It was futile, knowing they were practically kids and weren't used to morning classes,. And yet, it was incredibly adorable thinking of them trying to get up, and falling back asleep almost immediately. 

 

With the sounds of shuffling from other students and their bags, Jisoo started to pack up her stuff, yet her attention was drawn back to her phone. One message stuck out from the rest, and it was from one of the more unlikely people to be awake at this time: Mijoo. 

 

Mijoo: "I'm on my way to class!" 

 

The words, as if they were forewarning a disaster, made Jisoo anxious about what was to come. Was she going to open the door with an ax just like The Shining? Was she going to use a microphone and yell her name out in an awkward, cutesy voice? Or was she going to barge in while wearing an un-ironic emoji pajama set... again?  All she could hope was that Mijoo wouldn't make a scene like she alw-

 

"JISOOOO!" the blonde-hair girl yelled out from the crowded hallway, shocking most of the students who were still getting out of their seats. Jisoo stared at the girl, with a mixture of surprise at how fast she came, of annoyance that she was still so loud, of mild irritation that she had to do a walk of shame to the door to meet up with her, and of relief that she didn't act too weird. The professor looked at whoever barged into the lecture hall, and sighed when he realized who it was. It's practically expected every week, and he probably didn't care enough to worry about it anymore. 

 

As Jisoo got up to push the walking embarrassment out of the doorway, she looked around and saw the girl give her a small wave. She let out a smile in return, albeit a bit forced with the situation she was stuck in. 

 


 

"You HAVE to stop doing that! Do you know how embarrassing it is?!" Jisoo scoffed as she stepped in front of her roommate, trying to act like she didn't know her at all. 

 

"Hey, what's there to be embarrassed about?" Mijoo sported a smile while throwing her school bag over her shoulders and walked with a spring in her step. "You always take forever to get out, so I came to pick you up, my love."

 

"... I rather you not do that anymore. I probably lost all respect from anyone in that class at this point. AND STOP CALLING ME YOUR LOVE!" 

 

The two kept on walking, moving away from the topic almost seamlessly. It was one thing she came to admire about having a close friendship with Mijoo. Being around someone who acted carefree most of the time helped her adapt to the college life, and she was thankful fo- 

 

"Oh yeah!" Mijoo stopped without warning, leaving what probably will be an imprint of Jisoo's face there for the next while. Her bag and the books that she had held, however, dropped to the floor as she rubbed her aching nose. 

 

"What are you doing, you idiot? Don't just suddenly stop like that!" 

 

"Who was that girl sitting beside you in class?"

 

It took Jisoo a moment to realize who Mijoo was talking about, but she started to wonder about the girl herself. After their moment of drawing together, she realized she never did get to know anything about that person, not even her name. All she knew was that her voice was cute, and her muffins were absolutely delicious. 

 

When she was about to respond to Mijoo, the taller girl already disappeared past the corner, leaving her standing there in the middle of the corridor. All she was left with was a message on her phone, and she could vividly imagine her cheeky voice reading it out. 

 

Mijoo: "You're taking too long, slowpoke! I'll see you in class~"

 

She let out another sigh and started picking up the books once more before they get stepped on by someone else. She was too used to the energetic and annoying person that was Lee Mijoo - and she can't tell if that was a good thing or not. 

 

If someone were to ask her what Mijoo is to her, she probably would say that they were friends, but only for half the time. Being a roommate and sharing many of the same classes for the past few years meant that they were practically inseparable. Coupled with Mijoo lending her an ear whenever she was troubled, and being quite reliable when it comes to most things, she was an awesome best friend... if it weren't for her habit of teasing her and making her go crazy. 

 

As she grabbed her math notebook, originally conveniently placed at the top of her bag, a small sheet of paper fell out from the sides, landing onto the tiled ground. Jisoo pondered for a moment at why something was inside her notebook in the first place; she wasn't the type of person to be too organized, but neither would she keep things in places that can easily fall out. She picked it up and glanced at the words, which weren't written, but rather, were printed on. Judging from the name, she could imagine it as being maybe a bakery or a restaurant, yet she was unsure because of a glaring detail: a drawing of a familiar character on the side. Underneath the ever-popular Moomin doodled in blue ink, however, a name was written in pencil, just like a signature.

 

Yoo Jiae, huh...