“I’m gay.”

Loving you: A tainted love

Mina was 18 when she came out to her parents. It was right after her high school graduation ceremony. They were just back from the ceremony and her parents were happily discussing whether they should hold a celebration party for their precious daughter.

Mina felt suffocated in her own skin. She and Jeongyeon had been dating for 8 months. All their dates had been done in secret. Mina’s parents had been urging her to see the suitors her parents had chosen for her. She had politely decline with the excuse of focusing on her studies.

She knew that this excuse wouldn’t last her forever. She knew that it was unfair to Jeongyeon. 

She couldn’t stand the feeling of lying to her parents everyday, whenever they had asked about her relationship status. She couldn’t stand the thought of her parents deciding her career path. She couldn’t stand the thought of her parents sending her off to a college abroad. She definitely couldn’t stand leaving her girlfriend behind. 

“I’m gay.” Mina blurted out. Mina had never felt so afraid in her life. Her parents went completely silent from their earlier animated talk. They looked at her, as if expecting her to say that she was merely joking. However, Mina wasn’t, and she knew it would break their heart.

Mina’s mother burst into tears and Mina’s dad snatched the glass cup near him and hurled it next to Mina. It crashed into the wall and broke into millions of pieces. Mina cowered into her couch in fear. She had never seen her father this mad before.

“You. Are. Not. A. Dyke.” Mina’s dad looked feral as he stomped over her and pointed madly at her. “No daughter of mine is a disgusting homoual.” His eyes pierced through Mina’s. “Do you understand?”

Mina’s whole body shook as tears started tumbling down her cheeks. She could lie to her parents now. She could get away with this. She knew they would keep close supervision at her after this. She knew if she said ‘yes’, she might never see Jeongyeon again. She knew she would have to live a fake unhappy life if she lied right at this moment. So she didn't.

“I’m gay.” She repeated. Her mother cried louder and her father’s face got a shade redder in furry.

“Get out!” Her father grabbed her by her arm harshly and yanked her up. He dragged her over to the door and shoved her out of the house before slamming the door on her face. Mina fell onto her knees crying in despair. She had just lost her parents, and possibly everything she’d known.

 

…………………………………………………..

 

“Mina?” Jeongyeon was pleasantly surprised to see Mina on her doorsteps. Today was Mina’s graduation ceremony. As much as she wanted to visit her girlfriend and gave her the flowers and gift she had prepared for graduating high school, she knew she couldn’t risk seeing Mina’s parents. She had met her lover’s parents once when she visited her home. They did not seem to like her.  

Jeongyeon glanced at Mina from head to toe, she was slightly disheveled and eyes swollen and red rimmed.

“Are you okay?” Jeongyeon quickly pulled Mina into her beaten apartment shared with her father. She was glad that her father had gone out early in the morning, probably out gambling yet again. She cupped Mina’s cheeks and looked at her in the eyes. “What happened?” She asked softly and pecked her girlfriend on the tip of her nose.

Mina’s eyes welled up in tears before she burst out crying. Jeongyeon cooed Mina while directing her to her room. She sat her sobbing mess of a girlfriend down on her bed while brushing the tip of her hair.

“It’s okay.” She pulled her closer to her chest and continued running her hands through her hair.

“I told them.” Mina managed through her frantic sob. Jeongyeon stopped her hair momentariliy. “They kicked me out.” Jeongyoen’s heart hurt for Mina. She knew Mina loved her parents more than anything in the world. She couldn’t possibly know how hurt Mina was right now.

“I’m sorry.” She kissed the crown of Mina’s hair. “I love you.” It wasn’t the first time she had told Mina that, but it was her first time actually feeling the overwhelming love she had for Mina. Her heart hurt at the thought of Mina leaving her for her parents. She knew she shouldn’t be selfish.

“Jeongyeon.” Mina cradled her face and stared at her with overwhelming emotion. “I love you too.” She pecked Jeongyeon’s lips. “Let’s run away.” Jeongyeon stared at her with eyes as wide as saucers. “You’re 19, I’ve just turned 18.” She brushed her fingertips against Jeongyeon’s jaw. “We are legal. Let’s run away to somewhere where nobody knows us.” She looked at Jeongyeon with her pair of hopeful eyes.

Jeongyeon in a deep breath. This is the biggest decision she had ever made in her life. She knew that one wrong move would change their life forever. She thought about a world with only Mina and her. A world where they could love each other freely. A world which she wouldn’t have to sneak up Mina’s window. A world she could come back at night and lie on the same bed with the girl she love with all her heart.

“Sure.”

That day, Jeongyeon took all of her remaining cash and her dad’s gold watch and a suit case filled with clothes. She and Mina walked hand in hand down the street of the city they had grown up with, knowing this might be their last time here.