still, i will not kiss you

the hardest part is leaving you
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thirteen facts about Jennie Kim and Min Yoongi

 

Jennie is mean. Yoongi is curious

 

Yoongi is stuck in a hospital after a bad accident. He blames it on Namjoon for being a terrible driver and his leg is so badly injured that he needs several surgeries. It’s a pain and he has to move around in a wheelchair until he recovers. By the second week, he’s bored and he starts to spend more time in the communal area for the long-term patients.

 

Every day there’s a bowl of strawberries on the table and without fail, he eats the entire bowl to himself. Another patient, Lisa, tells him not to eat them but he can’t resist. They’re sweet and the perfect size and he wonders where they’re from.

 

It’s not until the eighth time that he understands why Lisa told him not to.

 

“You’re the one who’s been eating the strawberries!” A snarl makes him almost drop the fruit onto the floor. He cranes his neck to see who it is and he sees a pretty (but angry) girl standing at the door, seething. He’s at a loss for words for a few moments before he snaps back to reality.

 

“…Do you want one?” He offers her a strawberry but she stares at him with a scowl. He tries to wrack his brain to see if he’s ever met her before because he can’t understand her contempt.

 

“Those are mine,” she states blankly and points at the bowl in his lap. He doesn’t move and just remains in his seat, unsure of what to say in return.

 

“Oh… sorry,” he finally offers an apology after a few moments of silence. He can tell that she doesn’t give a damn about his apology as she storms over towards him.

 

“You shouldn’t touch things that aren’t yours.”

 

She snatches the strawberries away from him before he can even reach out to grab it. He opens his mouth to complain but she is halfway out the door before he can even get a good look at her.

 

They run into each other a few more times and each time, she’s just as rude. Later, he finds out her name is Jennie.

 

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​2. Jennie is pretty when she isn’t snarling and Yoongi likes her smile.

 

Jennie still doesn’t like him even after he stops eating her strawberries. But one night, he glides by the recreational area and hears the faint sound of a piano. It sounds as if someone is just playing random keys and Yoongi cringes at the sound. He makes his way to the source of the awful playing.

 

He spots Jennie, running her fingers over the keys, set in a firm line.

 

“Do you play?” He wheels himself into the room and calls out to her, causing her to jump at the sudden intrusion. She whips around and gives him a glare that almost makes him reverse back out of the room.

 

“No,” she scoffs back at him as if it’s obvious. And he must admit, from the way she sits and the awkwardness of her fingers, it is obvious.

 

“Oh,” he’s not affected by her rudeness. He feels uncomfortable sitting there in the middle of the room and he kind of regrets coming in. Well he does until her scowl slowly fades away and she turns to him with a curious expression.

 

“Can you play?”

 

He hasn’t played in a while but he can see a glimmer of hope shining in her eyes so he finds himself nodding. A flash of excitement passes over her face and she scoots over, allowing him to move closer to her.

 

“Do you want to hear anything in particular?” He questions her, curious as to what she’ll say. He pins her down as someone who’d want something sad and melancholic.

 

She surprises him.

 

“I want to hear something happy,” she requests and under the dim lighting, he can see a small blush stain her cheeks. He nods once and tries to recall all the songs he’s ever learnt. A melody comes to mind and he begins off clumsily and makes a few mistakes but eventually his fingers move expertly over the keys and the music dances around them.

 

When he’s done, he doesn’t look at her, feeling suddenly very self-conscious.

 

“Sorry, I haven’t played in a while –” he scratches the back of his neck in embarrassment but she cuts him off.

 

“I liked it,” her tone is sincere and when he glances at her sees her pretty smile, a small smile of his own starts to form.

 

He starts to practice piano again after that.

 

Jennie has walls around her that make it impossible for him to reach her. Yoongi tries anyway.

 

“Don’t you go to college?” She asks him when he visits her room for the third time in a week. He doesn’t take notice of her pale skin or the way she’s slightly out of breath when she talks. Well, if he does, he doesn’t show it.

 

“Don’t you?” He shoots back with a quirked eyebrow.

 

“No point,” she snorts back but there’s a bitterness in her tone that doesn’t bode well with him.

 

“I’m on holiday,” he answers her first question and snaps a photo of her. She doesn’t shy away like she usually does; she’s used to his constant pictures now. Instead, she flips him off but he doesn’t care and takes another picture.

 

“Oh… shouldn’t you be doing fun things?” She covers half of her face with her hand so he walks around the other side of the bed and takes it from that angle.

 

“Like what?” He doesn’t tell her that there isn’t anything else that he’d really rather do than spend time with her.

 

“Going to the beach,” she shrugs and tries to sound nonchalant but he catches something in the way she says it.

 

“You like the beach?” He detects a wistful tone in her suggestion and asks her, curious.

 

“I… haven’t been since I was young. I’m too sick,” she bites her lip as she tells him. He slowly lowers the camera from his face and presses his lips together in a firm line.

 

“Well, when you can leave, I’ll take you.” His confidence that she’ll be able to leave makes her feel weird but she decides that it’s a good weird.

 

“I’d like that,” she smiles at him and Yoongi’s mouth goes dry at the sight.

 

Jennie is dangerously ill. Yoongi falls anyway.
 

“Weren’t you discharged like three weeks ago?” She eyes him suspiciously when he enters the room. She overheard a nurse say that his leg was healed a while ago and he didn’t need to do any more rehabilitation for it so she isn’t sure why he keeps appearing in the communal area.

 

“I wanted to spend time with you,” his honesty is unsettling and Jennie averts her eyes. Her heart betrays her mind and she feels it skip a beat. She is not happy with the fluttering in her chest and her frown deepens.

 

“I don’t want to spend any time with you,” she shoots back but she may as well be talking to a brick wall because he merely shrugs and settles into the couch next to her own comfy seat. She glares at him for what feels like hours until he breaks and raises an eyebrow at her animosity.

 

“Why can’t you leave me alone?” She throws at him nastily when he finally acknowledges her annoyance.

 

“I don’t want to,” he replies with a shrug. He likes spending time with her and even though his friends find it weird, he doesn’t really care much for what they think.

 

“You’re so annoying,” she harrumphs and despite the irritation that colours her voice, he finds her cute.

 

“So are you.” He isn’t lying when he says that.

 

“Stop coming here,” she demands as she folds her arms across her chest.

 

“Do you really want me to stop?” He asks genuinely, turning to face her with a raised eyebrow. She knows as well as he does that she can call the security and have him thrown out with a snap of her finger.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter