Chapter 1: To New Beginnings

Goodbye My Almost

A/N: Here's chapter 1. Hope you guys will like it. It's still slow because it's the start. ^^ Also, be warned that there are some time skips/rewinds in the narration. Chapter not fully edited.

Word count: 1180 words

 


 

Chapter 1: To New Beginnings

 

Do Kyungsoo loves the silence. He thrives for it. It enables him to let his mind wander freely on the clouds. Another reason why he loves the silence is that it allows him to contemplate things in a calm matter without being overly anxious of things. It’s amazing how far he’s come. It seemed like it was just yesterday when he was still undecided about almost everything, including himself. Funny how things change. Now here he is, inside a coffee shop just across his dorm, waiting for his date. And he’s never been surer of anything in his life; he’s finally happy and content with the direction his life is going.

The clinking of the bell, as the door opens, brings him out of his reverie. He looks up from the table to gaze at the newcomer, smiling eyes and a gummy grin greet him in return.

“You’re here,” the corners of Kyungsoo’s lips slowly lift up, “Did you wake up late again?” It’s been an hour since their designated meet up time.

“Yeah, sorry about that,” the guy takes a seat across him, “I slept late again.” He gives Kyungsoo a small grin, unrepentant of his tardiness. They’re already used to each other’s tardy behavior. “Did you miss me?”

 “Who are you kidding?” Kyungsoo scoffs yet a smirk makes its way to his face in the end, “Of course I did. I haven’t seen you in three days!” He pouts for added effect.

The guy outright laughs at Kyungsoo’s cheesiness, a pleased smile decorating his visage. “I miss you too.” He grabs hold of Kyungsoo’s hand across the table, interlacing it with his own.

 

 

-----

 

 

Kyungsoo is a er for new things, especially new experiences. His heart is thumping erratically as he stares at his itinerary while queueing for the security line at the airport. His family already headed home ten minutes ago after giving him well wishes towards his new adventure. San Francisco International Airport is as busy as usual on a weekday; it’s not surprising, everyone is ready to fly out this summer for their well-earned vacation. However, for Kyungsoo, this is not just a vacation. It is the exciting start of his new school year in a different country.

It’s already his last year in college, and he’s come to a conclusion that he couldn’t let it end without doing something out of the ordinary. He’s glad he pushed through with his decision on studying abroad. He’s traveling while studying and it will look good on his resume; that’s killing two birds with one stone!

 

It took forever to get out of the security check point, and he’s glad he’s done with it. He slowly moves to his terminal gate, earphones jammed in his ears with music playing loud. He tries to sit comfortably in one of the chairs while waiting for his plane, eyes taking in the scenery of home that he will not see for the next four months or so. Four months is technically long, far too long in his mother’s opinion, but he has a feeling it would feel short. Kyungsoo looks around his gate, scanning the faces of the other passengers. He wonders where their destinations would be.

 

It’s been a long plane ride and he thanks the heavens that he was knocked out majority of the flight.

It’s currently 7 in the morning, he’s tired and a bit hungry but, nonetheless, happy that he’s finally arrived in Incheon airport. He’s lining up towards immigration and the only thing he can think of is having a really long shower. He feels so grimy and he knows that the plane’s odor has stuck to his clothes and hair. He can’t wait to wash up and sleep in a real bed. He lugs along his belongings slowly, cautious of his surroundings lest he wants to get lost for a while, which is not an option he’s considering because a shower has long been overdue. Exploring a different country (essentially, he’s Korean but two whole generations of his family’s been living in the States for as long as he could remember, so he’s as clueless as the rest of the tourists about the city named Seoul) brings a sense of excitement and trepidation in him.

 

He has thankfully managed to find the right train and get off at the correct station without much trouble. He’s glad he has a friend who’s familiar with Seoul (thank you Junmyeon-hyung!). It’s a damn blessing for someone who’s going to go around the city alone. Technically, he’s not alone, his friends, Baekhyun and Junmyeon, are going to be with him in the city, albeit a little less later (Baekhyun is going to arrive the next day and Junmyeon will be here after two weeks). The three of them go a long way back since high school and here they are now, in a different country but still together. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are both doing a study abroad for the semester in Hongik University. They both have the same major and decided simultaneously that a semester abroad was what they needed to spice up their last year in college. It’s funny, they have contrasting personalities, but they get along just fine. Meanwhile, Junmyeon already graduated and is planning to be in South Korea far longer than the duo. He’s staying near Seoul for at least a year, he was tasked to take care of his grandmother who got Alzheimer’s for a while; his family is still contemplating on how to handle the situation, since his grandmother is adamant with her decision about not leaving Suwon, a city just an hour away from Seoul. Junmyeon stated that he might also work during the year he’s going to be in South Korea, he said he might as well earn some pocket money and job experience while taking care of his grandmother.

 

After sweating through his whole shirt, while dragging his luggage under the intense heat and humidity of Hongdae, Kyungsoo finally found the hostel he’s going to be staying at for a couple of days before his dorm opens.

“ing finally,” Kyungsoo grumbles under his breath.

 

Checking in took ten minutes, ten minutes too long in Kyungsoo’s perspective but at least it was done and over with. After that, it was just a matter of finding his bed in the shared dorm room. He quickly placed his luggage by his bed and rummaged through his suitcase for things he would need in the next couple days, and then just dumped them in his assigned locker. He made his way to the showers, making good on his promise. His shower was swift yet indulgent, eager to take a nap before exploring the area with a new friend he made in the hostel, who was also an international student like him.

 

Some inexplicable energy surges through him as he gets ready for his nap, body all warm and drowsy after the shower. His last year in college is off to a great start and he can’t wait to see what’s in store for him.