Final

Summer Train

Okay so here is the final story. Don't expect too much cause I'm not really good in combining ideas. But hope you'll all like it.


 

Breathing the fresh air of summer, I could smell the air of that very day, twelve years ago. I could still remember how the trees would sway with the breeze, how the cow would gaze in the wide pastures. I could still remember how it was before, how I was astonished by the beauty. Still fresh in my mind, I could still remember how her eyes shone as she stared at the sky while plastering her most beautiful smile.

               One summer day of August, I was on my best suit as I was to attend a prestigious party in another land. I wear my usual poker face, as I was not in the mood for any conversation. I just sat down with my family and listen to them while they talk. I sometimes flash a small smile and even ignore them at all. I heard my father laugh so as his friends that rather annoys me. My mother, well, as a kind woman she is, talks to her maiden about something I’m not interested to. I was left alone here at my seat with nothing to do. I glance at the window and saw the green pasture. I saw how fast the trees disappear as the train passed them by.

             Sometimes I wonder how does it feel to have my feet walking on that pastures. I was raised by a wealthy family but I was not happy. Everytime I watched the children and even teenagers laugh as they play with their friends, I feel jealousy. I envy them. They enjoy a life they want. They can be what they want to be. But as for me, I can’t. I am taught to be someone I don’t even know if I can be. I am not even allowed to go out of our room unless there are any important meetings or party to attend to. I’m stuck at school, bedroom and garden. I look back to my father and saw him still busy talking to his friends. “I’m sure my son would like to meet them.” I heard him said. Pfft. As if I am interested to attend whatever party that is. Sooner and later, I got tired by just sitting. I stand up and excuse myself.

            I walked to the very end of the train. There was nobody there. I stand near the window and admire the view. I was busy admiring when I heard giggles not far from where I stood. I was scared and curious at the same time. I saw a wooden chair and I sneak from the back. There, I saw her. She was wearing a blue dress and a black jacket. I watched her the whole time. I was taken aback when I saw her glance at my direction. “Hello there. You can sit here if you want. I won’t mind.” She said. Her voice, it’s like a sweet music to my ear. I slowly sat down next to her and a complete silence enveloped us. “Seems like your troubled, mister. Won’t you mind sharing your problem?” she asked. I didn’t respond. I just stare at her face and that’s when I saw her eyes. They are nice. They were like the deer’s. Like those stars in the night sky, they sparkle. “It’s okay if you’re not gonna share it to me but it would be nice if you will tell it to someone. It will lessen your burden.” She smiled. “It’s so noisy outside and I found this place.” I replied. “Yeah you’re right. Its quiet here. Based on your suit, you’re one of those wealthy men, I see. You sure your comfortable here, mister?” I flashed a smile. “Yes I am. And drop the formalities. Call me Sehun.” I saw her blushed and I swear, that is the most beautiful pink I ever see. “Okay, Sehun then.” She smiled again.

            There was another silence that the only thing you can hear is the whisper of the wind and the sound of the engine of the train. I started to talk to her hoping to start a formal communication. We were busy on our own world that we didn’t notice the time. We were back on the reality when the train stopped. I was on a hurry that I didn’t try to look at her. When I reached my family, my mother hugged me worriedly. “I was looking for you, son. Where’ve you been?” “I was just watching outside.” After that, we left the train. We’re now waiting for our service when I realized something. I forgot to asked her name! Call me a jerk cause I forgot to ask her name. I just hope that we will meet again. From the train station until the party, she is all I’ve been thinking of. Her eyes, her voice, her smile. I really want to see her again. I wished I can get out of here so I can venture the town and look for her. My father would even introduce me to some girls. Well, I was not interested. I was bored, really. I wished this to end already.

            Three days after that meeting with her, we’re now back in Amsterdam and I am still eager to see her as a child eager for a chocolate. My mother allowed me to venture Amsterdam for the very first time. She said I am now on the right age to know my place for someday, I will have to travel to different places and protect it if possible. I am now on one of the busy streets and I was just staring at the different shops. I’m still wearing my poker face, that would not change. I’m surprised nobody recognized me well, except for those who know my family. It’s a good thing mother hid me from the outside world for almost half of my life. I lost interest anymore not until my eyes captured a very familiar sight. It’s her. I was stocked to where I am. I saw taking her steps towards where I am. Until I saw her smile to me. Yeah I am sure it was for me. “Nice to meet you again, Sehun.” I felt relief for I know she still remember me. “Nice to meet you, too.” I said. “Luhan. Luhan’s the name.” Luhan, that is her name. Beautiful as she is. “What are you doing here?” she asked me. “I don’t know, too. Got nothing to go.” “I know a place.” And then she grabbed me along.

            I was being grabbed by now and I don’t know where she will lead me. Until I saw the pasture not far from our home. “Here we are. Let’s enjoy summer while it is still here.” And then she run towards the green grasses. I saw her happy and so I followed her. I did the same thing as she did. We play, venturing every part of the place. Not soon after, I found myself staring at a tree. An old oak tree. I found it amusing. I felt somebody was beside me but feel relief when I know it’s Luhan. “Do you know that this tree stand for almost thirty years already?” she asked. “Really? That’s cool. I mean look at it, it’s quiet old and it stand all the storms passing by.” I replied amusement visible in my voice.  “Yes it is. But I wonder how long will it stand before it would fall.” “And will it survive the war?’ I asked all of a sudden. She looked at me with a furrow eyebrow. “Nothing.” I smiled hoping she would not be curious to what I said. “Let’s forget it. Let’s just have fun.” Then she run again and I followed her.

            This is so much fun. My wish was granted. I can be who I want to be. When we felt tired, we rested near the lake. Yes, there is a lake here. “Thanks” I mouthed. “For what?” “For making me happy. It is my first to be in this place. It is fun.” I said. “Why, aren’t you happy on the life you had?” she asked. I respond with a nod. “I understand you. Of course your parents would prohibit you to go out. You’re rich and we’re commoner.  But you should be happy on the life you have. You have it all. It won’t be hard for you to live while us, we are still finding out how to survive. You don’t have to be somewhere else just to be happy. Happiness is in you. You just have to find it.” I was left hanging. Did she just teach me? But I got a realization to every word she said.  “ I have to go. My mother must be looking for me now. So is yours. “she said. She is about to go already when I called. “Luhan! Thank you for everything.” “No worries. I have to go now. Bye Sehun! See you soon.” She waved then finally go. I waved back at her hoping that this would not be the last time I could see her. But I think fate is against my request. After that day, I waited eagerly at that same field. But she didn’t come. Weeks, months, years have passed but she didn’t appear. I think that would really be our last meet.

            Three years after that day, I am here waiting for our carriage. “Sehun, prepare yourself, you’ll be leaving now. Protect your mother.” I smiled one last time to my father before entering the carriage. I reminisced all the memories and I know a tear fell from my eyes already. The war between our kingdom and our neighboring kingdom had gotten worse and we have to move as far as we could before we would be murdered. Living my father behind fighting for our land. As we traveled along, I saw the torn houses, burning forests. Even the field has been burned. I remember Luhan. How is she? Is she fine? Where is she right now? I have to look for her. Remembering her gives me heartache. And for the first in my life, I know I’ve been inlove already. In love to someone named Luhan whom I never know if I could meet again. Wait for me Luhan, I’ll find you and I will keep you safe.

               “Your highness, we’re already here.” I was already taken back to reality when one of our servants called. He bowed down to us, specifically to me. “Thank you.” I said. I took one step out of the carousel and excitedly headed to the train. Her memories are all here. Her smile, it is plastered on my mind. Before I went in already, I glance back to them and smiled. “Don’t worry. I’ll be back.” “King Sehun, be careful.” They said. “ I will.” And the train finally starts. Yes, I’m a king. Three years ago, I was a prince with no ambition, no dreams. A prince that ever wanted was freedom. I don’t know the real meaning of the world until I met Luhan. She made me realized that we are all born to be someone. We may like it or not, but it is who we are. And me, I’m destined to be the next king of Amsterdam after my father died two years ago. And I’m missing her so much. I promised to myself that I would find her. I will protect her but I failed. I ’m now watching the trees passed by while remembering every word she said. I hold on to my pocket when I felt something. I grab it from my pocket and saw a heart-shaped diamond necklace. I remember my mother gave this to me when she handed me the throne of being a king of Amsterdam.

 “Amsterdam is now in your hand. Do everything to save it. I trust you son. You have your father’s ability so as his features. I know you will.” She said to me. “ I have to give you something.” And she gave me a heart-shaped diamond necklace. “I know everything son. I know about Luhan and I know you’re in love with that woman. And until now you’re still hoping to see her. And if ever that would happen, give this to her. Confess.” She said. “If you’re afraid I’m against your feelings, you don’t have to worry for I already know her family. She’s capable of being your queen. Go on find her.” I smiled fakery. “I wished I would. Remember, she’s one of those that are being sold to be slaves. And I was not there to protect her. I wish I was.” I said with croaky voice and tears started to fall. “This summer, find your heart.. Bring to us our queen.” My mother hugged.

               And that’s why every summer, I’m going to travel just to find her. Luhan, where are you? I miss you. Tears continue to flow as I kept on remembering her face, her smile, her laugh, her voice. Her memories are all here in my mind and heart and soon, they will all become fleeting memories.  I heard giggles and that made me smile. Just as what she is. Not soon after, a paper flew to my direction. I may be the king, but I’m still an ordinary person with dreams like them. I don’t want to be treated to be a royal highness with a very high rank in the society. Maybe that’s the reason why everyone loves me. I picked up the paper and hand it to someone next me. “I guess you’ve dropped this, miss.” “thanks.” She said. Her voice, it’ sounds so familiar. “You’re welcome.” I smiled. Just like before. I saw her looking from left to right. “Are you alright, miss?” “Yes, I am.” “are you comfortable?” she didn’t reply but I know she smiled  though I cannot see her face. Wait, this moment, it is exactly what it is twelve years ago. It’s just that, I’m the one being entertained not her. Funny it is. “You’re the King right?” I didn’t reply. I was taken aback by her sudden question. I want to be a normal person now, not as a king. “Yes, I am.” I answered. “Guess I should not drop the formalities. Your highness.” She smiled at me and the moment I saw her eyes, I know I’m not dreaming.

Based on your suite, you’re one of those wealthy men, I see. You sure your comfortable here, mister?

Drop the formalities call me Sehun.

Luhan. Luhan is the name.

Let’s enjoy summer while It is still here.

You don’t have to be somewhere else just to be happy. Happiness is in you. You just have to find it.

               Happiness is in the heart of every person. I’ve found my heart. And right now, I’ve found my long lost happiness. “You didn’t tell me you’re the prince that time. The palace had never given us any hint about you. I should have respected you before. Forgive me, King Sehun.” The moment she say my name, I know now is the time. “Luhan.” And I hugged her. Tears fall again but I’m sad no more. Happiness overflows me. I looked at the sky and smiled genuinely. Mother, I’ve found my heart. I’ve found my queen.