Final

Arranged Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun had never had any real desire to get married. Sure, when he was a child he had imagined dressing up in a suit and being with the person he loved for an eternity. But, as he grew older the thought of marriage seemed distant, he never really considered the thought of actually getting married. He’s finished college not even two years ago and was just truly beginning to take place in his father’s company. He had his best friends, his job, and his dog there wasn’t much else he wanted.

            Baekhyun had been best friends with Chanyeol since they were children. Their father’s had been friends since college, they were the best man at each other’s weddings, and eventually co-CEO's of one of the largest enterprises in not just South Korea but the world. It was only natural for them to be practically raised together and it was only natural for Baekhyun to eventually develop feelings for Chanyeol. However, it had not been natural for Chanyeol to return those feelings. Baekhyun accepted this; he couldn’t, no matter how much he wished he could make Chanyeol fall in love with him.

“Hey, Baek,” Baekhyun looked up from his desk meeting the eyes of his best friend, “My dad wants to see us in his office.”

Baekhyun blinked a couple of times, mind racing, trying to think of all the things he had done wrong recently but nothing stood out, “What for?”

“I don’t know, he didn’t tell me.” Chanyeol shrugged.

Baekhyun nodded getting up from his chair, “What do you think I did wrong this time?”

Chanyeol chuckled, “I don’t know but I highly doubt he’d fire you in front of me.”

Baekhyun frowned, “Real funny.”

“Ah, calm down, let’s just go alright?” he didn’t wait for Baekhyun to respond instead turning, walking towards the elevator, knowing that Baekhyun would fall in line beside him.

-

Mr. Park’s office wasn’t huge but it wasn’t small by any means. The wall behind his desk was made entirely of large windows, two plus red leather chairs sat in front of him. Baekhyun sat down on the chair on the right as his large best friend did the same. His eyes wandered around the office he had been in so many times before. From the two dark red couches and brown coffee table that sat between them in one of the corners and all the bookshelves that lined the room, the titles too far away and small for him to read. Mr. Park had an obsession with books to the point that his office smelled strongly of the old literature. Eventually, Baekhyun’s eyes settled on the monochromatic globe that sat on the desk in front of him, watching as it spun at an agonizingly slow pace. He wanted to reach out and stop it from turning but decided against it.

Baekhyun wasn’t nervous per say but he wasn’t looking forward to being yelled at by his boss at only eight in the morning. He turned towards Chanyeol who sat in the chair to his left. He was sitting back in his chair, relaxed, legs crossed comfortably in front of his, spine aligned with the back of his chair. Baekhyun let out a huff of air, of course, Chanyeol would be comfortable in his father’s office if they had been in Baekhyun’s dad’s it would have been a different story.

After a few moments the door to the office opened, Baekhyun turned around watching as both of their dads walked in, wives in tow.

“Boys,” Chanyeol’s father called, “Why don’t you come sit on the couch with us instead?”

Baekhyun turned to look to Chanyeol who looked just as confused as him but still stood up and made his way over to sit on the couch opposite of one their parents sat in, Baekhyun sat down next to him.

“Now,” Baekhyun’s father began, “This is going to be a bit hard for you to understand but-”

“But we all decided on this together,” his mother interrupted, “In fact, we decided on it long ago.”

“Before you were born really,” Chanyeol’s mother adds, “But we knew it’d be best for everyone.”

“I’m sorry,” Chanyeol interrupts, “What did you decide? What was best for everyone.”

“You and Baekhyun,” Chanyeol’s mother hesitates a moment before continuing, “You’re both engaged.”

A stiff silence falls over the room. Baekhyun turns to look at his best friend, trying to get a read on the emotions currently painting the taller's face. His lips are stiff in anger, eyes downturned in confusion. Baekhyun turns back to his parents, his mind is racing and the words that have just been said haven’t fully been digested.

“What?” he’s the first to speak. The word comes out rushed, airy. Baekhyun’s eyes bounce from each of their faces hoping to catch a glimpse of an emotion that will tell him this is all a lie.

“We didn’t really know how to tell you when you were younger but you’re both 25 now and it’s about time you got married.” Baekhyun’s mother’s voice is soft, too soft, it makes him angry. Baekhyun wants to scream, yell, ask them how they could have possibly done this. How they could be forcing Chanyeol to marry him. He opens his mouth to speak but is cut off by the deep voice that is Chanyeol’s. 

“So, you just didn’t tell us?” his voice quivers with anger, “You thought it would be better to suddenly one day announce that I’m going to be marrying my best friend?”

Baekhyun watches the flames in his eyes grow brighter. He can feel a pit of sadness form in his chest, he knew Chanyeol wouldn’t want to marry him but somehow having it confirmed was heartbreaking.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun speaks softly, lightly placing a hand on his arm. Chanyeol yanks his arm away from his touch turning to look at him with the same anger he had pointed at his parents.

“Are you not upset? Do you not feel betrayed here?” he stands up abruptly, Baekhyun’s eyes rush to follow his movements, “I’m not doing this, I’m not marrying him.” And with that Chanyeol rushes out of the room.

Baekhyun stands, swiftly bowing to his and Chanyeol’s parents, then rushes to follow his friend out of the room.

            He finds Chanyeol standing at the end of the hallway, finger repeatedly pressing angrily at the down button for the elevator. Baekhyun runs to stand next to him, making it just in time for the empty elevator to arrive for both of them to get in.

Chanyeol glares at the doors in front of him silent and Baekhyun watches him, mind searching for the correct words to say.

“Chanyeol-”

“Are you not angry?” he’s interrupted

“Wha-”

“Are you not angry? Our parents just told us that they’re forcing us to get married and so far you’ve had no reaction.”

“Of course I’m angry,” Baekhyun says, “But what am I supposed to do?”

“I don’t know, yell? Scream? Do something so they won’t make us do this.”

“Has that ever worked in the past?”

Chanyeol sighs, “No.”

Baekhyun nods, “That’s why we need to think of something else.”

“We could get divorced right after we get married.”

Baekhyun feels his heart drop, “Like that’d work,” he scoffs, “You think they’d just accept it if right after we are forcefully married we divorce?”

“Then what do you suggest?”

“A year.”

“What?” Chanyeol looks at him confused.

“We stay married for a year and after that, we get divorced, that should be enough time for our parents to actually think we're trying to make it work.”

“That sounds alright, I guess.”

Baekhyun forces a smile on his face, “Deal then?”

Chanyeol smiles back at him, “Deal.”

Baekhyun feels his heart break right as the elevator doors ding and slides open.  

-

            The month went by in a blur of wedding planning and stress. Baekhyun had barely seen Chanyeol and when he did their conversations were short, awkward, an obviously forced smile sitting on Chanyeol’s lips.

            And then the day came, only a month after they became aware of their engagement they were getting married. Baekhyun knew their parents would work quickly, rushing to get them married as quick as possible so the possibility of it being canceled would decrease. And so that is how he got to where he was standing in front of a beautifully decorated room with white and silver painting the large space in elegance. Baekhyun stood in a black tux that fit him almost too well, his best friend in the same. Chanyeol’s hair was slicked up exposing his forehead and making him look even more attractive than usual making Baekhyun suffer. A permanent grimace played out on Chanyeol’s face as he refused to look at him. Baekhyun sighed, the officiant seemed to be talking for an eternity, he just wanted it to all be over, for him and Chanyeol to go back to how they were, to when Chanyeol could look him in the eyes and see a best friend, not the man who he was forced to marry, who ruined any hope he had of marrying someone he actually loved in the next year. He just wanted Chanyeol to look at him and not be reminded of a marriage he never wanted.

            “And now the rings,” Baekhyun heard the officiant say

            Chanyeol slowly reached for his left hand, caressing it softly and gently placing the ring on his finger. Baekhyun then took Chanyeol’s hand. It was much larger than his own, much rougher too, a product of having been playing the guitar for years. Baekhyun’s hands shook as the gingerly placed the finger on Chanyeol’s. And then it was done and in the brief second after Baekhyun removed his fingers off of the ring and before the officiant spoke again Baekhyun truly realized what was happening. His best friend was being forced to marry him. It truly set in what was happening.

And then officiant spoke, “You may now kiss the groom.”

Baekhyun blushed, he moved to open his mouth. To object. He didn’t want Chanyeol to be forced to kiss him. He was already being forced to marry him, how could he force him to kiss him t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter