Chapter 1

First Sight

It’s another normal day for Rose’. She wakes up at 6 a.m. to shower and gets ready for school. She doesn’t really eat a full meal breakfast, but she does eat a granola bar to have some food in her stomach. Rose’ always walks to school and walks back because her parents both work and aren’t home most of the time. They just give her the stuff she need, especially money. Her parents are practically rich, but Rose’ doesn’t reveal that to her school. She is very a mysterious person to a lot of students because she doesn’t talk about her life. However, they just think of her as one of the quiet ones who just walk around, minding her own business.

As Rose’ was walking to school, she hears a glass break kind of sound happen in a house, a block away from her own house. It was Jennie’s place. Her house was kinda decent, but most people will think it’s shabby. When Rose’ found out a popular girl like Jennie lived in that kind of house, she was kind of shocked. Of course, she didn’t reveal it to anyone because it wasn’t hers to tell. Plus, she wasn’t really close to her, so it wasn’t her business to stick her nose into.

Once Rose’ got to school, she headed to her first period and listened to the lecture as always. Every period is the same for her. When she got into English class, Jennie, who was walking behind her, Rose’ opened the door for Jennie as a nice gesture.
“Thank you” Jennie said and she walked into class.
“No problem”
As they both sat down at their seats, which were 4 rows away from each other, Rose’ put her head down and was listening to her music. Jennie, on the other hand, was talking to her friends. Once class started, their English teacher, Mr. YG, told them it was time to do speed dating groups. No, speed dating is not actually speed dating. It’s where you have 2 people in a group (both of you assigned either 1 or 2) and talk about a certain topic for about 20 seconds. Once both of you went, one person gets up and goes to the next person. Hence, “speed dating.” Mr. YG does this to get people to talk each to each other. He wants the class to be close. Anyways, everyone set their tables in a group of 2 and sat down. Rose’ was partnered up with a guy, while Jennie was partnered with some cheerleader.

“Ok, so talk about your favorite show and why it was your favorite.” Said Mr. YG.

“Ones go”

“My favorite show would have to be xxxx because the storyline is great and the characters are well created.” explained Rose’

“Ok twos, go”

“My favorite show would be xxxx because my favorite actor is there and its really funny. You should try to watch it.” said the guy

Rose’ smiled.

“Ok twos switch”

So everyone moves around and has a chance to meet each other and talk for a good 20 seconds. Then Jennie came to Rose’ and sat down.
“Hi I’m Jennie”
“I’m Rose”
“Okay, so talk about the funniest moment you can remember so far in your life. Ones go”
“Ah funniest moment? I can’t really remember. Maybe from this show xxxx where this girl was supposed to cover for her friend but actually exposed her”
Jennie started laughing, “I remember that part. I was dying.”
When Jennie was smiling and laughing, Rose’ thought that must’ve been the most beautiful thing she has seen. The way she smiles and talk and they way her eyes are chinky. Rose’ couldn’t stop staring at her, especially when it was her turn to go. She didn’t know a person can make stare at a person like that.
“Alright, everyone move back your chairs.”
“Bye, Rose’. It was nice talking to you.” Jennie said and smiled
“Bye~” Rose’ couldn’t stop staring.

Once class was over, she said bye to her friends and walked back home. As she got home, she made some food for herself and ate. Rose’ is a pretty good cook, since she has a lot of free time. After she ate, she went into the gym and exercised. Her exercise routine is cardio, strength, and core. Then she finishes off with boxing rounds. She is a really fit person, not to mention, really strong for a girl. After that, she changes her clothes and does her homework, which wasn’t much. Then she heads to sleep or watches on her phone.
This was a daily routine for Rose’. Wake up, shower, go to school, talk to friends, walk home, cook and eat, exercise, homework (if there is), watch, and sleep. Very simple and productive schedule. Sometimes, after school, she would go to a hidden room at the school, where no one would go to. It’s a pretty big area. When Rose’ found it, she decided to make it her own secret hideout. It’s a place for her only. She cleaned it up, made sure not spiderwebs or bugs laying around. She cleaned it up pretty well. Added brighter lights because there are no windows. Rose’ even added a couch bed for her to sleep on. She stays here when she has projects or huge assignments that need to be turned it right away at school. She has all her gadgets and equipment that she needs. Even food and emergency supplies. The room was really big and nice that it even has a bathroom. Rose’ spent that whole afternoon cleaning and adding furniture and materials. There was an entrance where no one goes to often, so no one saw her move stuff. And for the couch, she was rich so she asked a guy to help her bring it. That place was a hideout that everyone would want to have. It was like her second home.
Next few days, it was the same routine as always. It was lunch time and she grabbed her lunch and headed to her table. As she was heading to her table, she saw Jennie, who was about to trip over some guy’s foot until Rose’ caught her. They were facing each other.
“Uh are you okay?”
Jennie gets up from Rose’ arms, “Yes thank you.” She smiled again.
Rose’ smiled back and headed to her table and greeted her friends, but she couldn’t stop staring at Jennie.
The next day, in the morning, Jennie was walking to campus and a car was coming for her way. Fortunately, Rose’ was behind her and pulled her back away from the car. The pull was so strong that they both fell and Jennie was on top of Rose’. When Jennie lifted her face, Rose’ and her eyes meet. The whole world stop for a good 3 seconds until some of Jennie’s friend yelled.
“Jennie! Are you okay?”
“Yeah, thanks to Rose’. Thank you, for saving my life.”
“No problem. Please always be alert.”
“Haha sure.” Jennie laughed.
Another few days go by, and she sees Jennie again on her phone. She was heading to English class, but she was almost hit by the door. Rose’ pulled her back to make sure wasn’t going to get hit by the door.
“thank you.” Jennie said, but she wasn’t smiling this time.
“Your Welcome.”
They both go in, and murmurs spring out from the room as Jennie walks in. They stare at her. Another class period goes by and Rose’ decides to stay at her secret hideout. She goes online and checks out her social media. The first thing that pops out is Jennie. When Rose’ saw the post about Jennie, she was shocked. She kept scrolling down and her whole feed was full of rumors of Jennie “playing” with her best friend’s boyfriend. There are pictures of her with the guy, but Rose’ knew it was photoshopped. One post was called “Playing with Fire” where Jennie is adding more fuel to the couple. Everyone in the school is bashing out Jennie, even her own best friend. Rose’ understood why Jennie wasn’t herself today and was always glued to her phone, but then again, it wasn’t her business to stick to. Rose’ goes home and does her daily routine.
Next day, Rose’ goes to school, wearing all black. When she was on campus, everyone was like
“I can’t believe she did this”
“What a traitor”
“Why is she like that”
And so on. Rose’ just turned up her music and stood against a wall. She saw Jennie come in and everyone was staring at her. Jennie was trying to avoid everyone, but they kept staring at her. She heard all the names they called her, the threats, etc. Jennie kept walking and Rose’ saw that terrible sight. Every period was the same, the same voices, same topic, and same photo, a photoshopped photo that people were too scared to admit to. Everyone was talking about Jennie.
It was lunch time and Rose’ saw Jennie in a middle of a crowd. They were yelling at her. Then she saw some filled balloons behind people’s back. She knew that they were going to throw it at her.
“Confess!”
“Yeah you traitor!”
They were getting ready. Rose’ had to do something quick but at the same time, not reveal herself, so she quickly put her hood on and went into the crowd. As they were trying to ready their balloons, Jennie ducked down while covering her head. Then as they threw it, Rose’ covered Jennie by wrapping her body and arms around her. Jennie was surprised and shock, but she couldn’t see who it was. When they stopped throwing it, Rose’ lifted Jennie up and ran outside the crowd.
“Who the heck was that?”
“Wow”
Rose’ turned back and no one was following her. She ran to her secret hideout and opened the door. She quickly locked it, and sets Jennie down on her couch. Jennie had a few scratches on her arms. Rose’ took off her hood and jacket.
“Rose’?”
“Hi.”
“... I don’t know what to say.”
“No need to, but can you do me a favor and take off your shirt.”
“What? Why?”
“Uhm because it’s dirty.”
“Oh right, but what do I wear then?”
“You can borrow a shirt.”
“How? And where are we? And how did you know I was going to get ballooned?”
“This is my hideout, so my some of my stuff are here. And I just saw people holding balloons. Can you please give me your arm? You have a few scratches.”
Rose’ grabs the first aid and begins to treat Jennie’s injuries. “Ow”
“Hehe endure it.”
It was quiet for a few minutes, until Jennie began to speak.
“Why did you save me... again?”
“Just because.”
“That’s not an answer.”
“Yeah it is. Okay I’m done.”
Rose’ cleans up the first aid kit and goes to the countertop. Jennie follows and sits on the countertop.
“Thanks.”
“Your Welcome.”
“So answer my question. Why do you keep saving me? Especially, this one.”
Rose’ goes to the other side of the room and gets stuff.
“Just because”
“Oh come on. You saved me from almost dying last time. And me tripping and embarrassing myself. And now this stupid rumor. Why don’t you believe that rumor that everyone keeps spreading? Why me? Wh-“
Rose’ walks up to Jennie who was sitting on the countertop and slams her hands down on the table. Rose’ is now at eye level with Jennie. Jennie is trapped with Rose’ in front of her and her arms on the side.
“Because you are interesting! You are someone who I’m interested in. Someone whose smile, laughter, and presence I don’t want to see go away.” Rose’ yells. She is out of breath and puts her head down. It was silent for a few minutes and Jennie is shocked. Rose’ calms down and begins to speak again.
“When people started talking about you yesterday, I was mad. People keep talking about you the way I don’t want people to. All those rumors.... I know is a lie.”
Jennie was shocked and began to tear up. “...no one believed me, except for you.”
Rose’ lifts her head and looks Jennie in the eye.
“I don’t want you to get hurt, especially something stupid like this. I want to see you smile always and laugh. When I see you smile, it makes me want to...”
Rose’ leans closer to Jennie and she stares at her lips. She leans closer and closer and until she is 1 inch away, Rose’ realizes whats happening and quickly turned her head away and lifted her hands away from the countertop.
“I-Im sorry. Please get out, your wounds have been treated.”
“Wait Rose’!”
“PLEASE! Just go.”
Rose’ hides herself into the bathroom and Jennie watches her go. Jennie’s heart was pounding and she left the hideout.