the birthday

they speak to me like constellations
{ the b i r t h d a y }


- - - - 


he doesn't like making a big deal out of his birthday, but she proves a point by doing so anyway - it usually takes a few groans and disapproving mutters from him to concede to a birthday dinner. he always does.


this time, she decides to go to this new vietnamese restaurant that's been all the rage in soho. wendy's been raving about it for weeks; apparently she dined there with seokjin last friday, celebrating his promotion to sous chef at the french bistro he works at. seulgi makes a mental note to check out the egg rolls, because according to her friend, those are the best appetizers on the menu.


he sighs when they're seated at a table, shooting a wary look at his significant other, who seems rather excited upon viewing the menu. "i'm not sure if this is your birthday or mine."

she looks up, arching a perfect eyebrow. "definitely yours, since i'm paying for everything today."

"really," yoongi deadpans. "what if this is all an elaborate plan? maybe my birthday is an excuse for you to check this place out."

"maybe," she answers, a mischievous smile gracing her features. "but you have to admit, this place looks good. you can order whatever you want, birthday boy." he rolls his eyes in response. "and happy birthday," she hands him a fifty dollar gift card to magnolia bakery - admittedly his favorite cupcake bakers.

they simply settle with two bowls of pho - beef for yoongi, and spicy seafood for seulgi (the egg roll plate is left empty in a matter of seconds after its arrival) - and seulgi can tell, he's pleased. not that he says anything outright, of course, but the small hums and continued silence while eating are telltale signs of how much he's enjoying the meal. you know someone for three years, and you magically acquire the ability to figure out how they're feeling by just picking up the small gestures and details. she smiles to herself. for a person who's too lazy too celebrate his own birthday, he sure is looking excited for once - or as excited as min yoongi can get, anyway.


the subtle look of satisfaction on his face when he completely empties his bowl is too funny for seulgi to ignore. "so, do you still regret having a birthday dinner?" she asks brightly, although she already knows the answer.

he gives her a withering glare, but she knows there's no real malice behind it. "i know you're holding back, just start laughing already. fine, maybe it didn't turn out to be as bad of an idea. you win. god, you're insufferable."

"that's probably the biggest lie you've ever told," seulgi teases as she gives the cashier her credit card. "if you did, you wouldn't even be here," he groans loudly. "love you too," she chortles.

his mock annoyance is a farce, one that soon melts away as soon as they step outside into the chilly night of the city. the wind is gentle, yet freezing to the girl, who's wearing a simple cardigan over her floral print dress. without warning, he removes his jumper, and places it on her shoulders, despite her protests - and takes her small hand in his own. he's in a mere dress shirt, and nothing else, but he seems unfazed by the chill of the night. the warmth of his hand resonates within her; a strange, fuzzy sensation blooms in her chest, one that has her feeling giddy.

"hey, magnolia's still open, you know," seulgi suddenly says. "we could drop by on the way and get you a chocolate ganache birthday tier." she knows how crazy he goes over chocolate ganache - a christmas present of a boxful of magnolia's best chocolate ganache cupcakes last year, emptied in the span of two days, proves it.

"actually," he voices casually, "i was wondering if we could go somewhere else for that."

she blinks, confused. "uh, sure. where to?"

"it's not too far, i just found it recently, it's a block down from home." well, this is a first. "you're sure you don't want chocolate ganache? it's your birthday, and i'm willing to buy it for you."

he shakes his head. "nah, i'm sure. this place is great too anyway."

where he takes her to is julie's patisserie, which is decorated with forest green everything. she looks at all of the delectables the shop has to offer - vegeterian croquets, egg tarts made with cruelty free eggs, and lactose-free ice pops. she wonders why she's never known of this place, considering how it's so close from home-


"one gluten free strawberry vanilla cake, please."

she jerks her head up to look at him paying for it himself in shock. it now makes sense - why he insisted on coming here, she should have realized when she saw all the curious specifications in the pastries and goods -

they leave the shop with a grand cake box, and a recyclable paper bag full of gluten-free pastries. seulgi's eyes are prickling, and she's sure tears would be falling were she any more emotional. "it's your birthday," she murmurs as they walk up to their doorstep. "i wouldn't have cared."

he stops in front of the door, and gazes at her, sighing. "come here," he says, quietly opening his arms. she steps forward to hug him tightly - he smells of fresh linen, sandalwood, and the ocean - a scent that's nothing but his. he cradles her in his embrace, opting for silence as he listens to her breathe, patting her back occasionally. this is a moment she can feel the tenderness of his soul, the genuity of his actions - his words alone can never encompass the person that is min yoongi, the one dear to her heart, occupying a bigger space than anyone ever has.

"look," he whispers into her hair - his breath tickles her ears - "it's not special because it's my birthday, it's special because it's a birthday i'm spending with you. i want you to know that."

"i know, but..." seulgi trails off. did she know? not really. she just stares at the door in front of her, unsure of what to say. "it's your birthday. you deserve chocolate ganaches," she mutters instead.

he snorts as he releases her. "i can still get them tomorrow, or any other day. it doesn't matter."

"birthday tiers come with a special bonus, though!" she protests somewhat wistfully.

"oh well," he shrugs. "my loss."

she rolls her eyes. "you ."

he shakes his head, and quickly leans in to kiss her on the forehead - it's a mere moment, but the warmth of his lips remains. "like you could."

"you're right," she sighs. "and i loathe that."

"you might as well get used to it."


a beat of silence, and seulgi kisses his cheek, grinning triumphantly as he raises an eyebrow. yet her smile soon melts into surprise of her own, as he pulls her closer to press his lips on hers - and a whirlwind of sensations overwhelm her, butterflies pooling in her stomach. soft yet firm, subdued yet passionate. he's full of paradoxes, but she won't have it any other way.



they finally pull apart, breathless. "happy birthday," she whispers in his ears.

"thank you," he says softly.  




-
a/n: so um, unless it wasn't obvious, seulgi has celiac disease. google it up if you're not sure what that is ouo
it's so short o o p s well hopefully it wasn't too cringe-y toODLES