like a fire

I love you to the ends of the sun like a fire

Wendy takes a deep breath and gets to her position on the track, as people start cheering after the announcer signals the race that is about to start. She clears her head of any thoughts that aren’t going to do her anything good at the moment. As if having a mind on their own, her legs place themselves, her hands setting on the field made of rubber.

 

It’s as if the whole world disappears. Sounds are so deafening, yet she can’t hear them. The only thing she can feel is how fast her heart is beating and the blood rushing to her ears. This thrill, this familiar feeling of fear mixed with excitement - she had felt every one of these things so many times before. And yet she can’t seem to lose all these fond feeling she has for them. Loving it. Cherishing it. Living it.

 

It’s all the same.

 

It’s the same when she hears the shot fired into the sky.

 

It’s the same when the crowd seems to scream and shout even louder, practically roaring.  

 

It’s the same when her feet start moving with the speed of light, like her father said once when she was just a small girl; only seeing before her and running, running, running for no reason.

 

Always running.

 

She doesn’t look around when she’s on the track. Her gaze is ahead and her feet are faster than her brain.

 

Wendy runs even faster, already far ahead of her opponents. She’s short of breath and her legs burn but she loves it. Every second of it.

 

People on the stands rise from their seats and start screaming again, much, much louder than before. It’s when she raises from her resting position, her hands on her knees, panting, and sees her teammates getting close to her, big smiles on their faces.

 

“And the first finalist of the short distance race is Son Wendy, making her the winner of the National sport athletic contest.”

 

She grins, tired but happy, and starts walking towards her friends. The said beam falls off her face as soon as she takes a step forward.

There’s cutting pain in her left leg, making her let out a groan, her hands darting down to cup to somehow lessen the discomfort. Worried faces of different people meet her and she shakes her head, as if to say i‘m fine. A delicate hand cups her shoulder and runs up and down, easing her a bit.

 

Wendy looks at the person; it’s Bae Joohyun, an amazing archer and even a more amazing person. “Hey, what’s wrong?”

 

She forces a smile on her face and reaches her hand to wipe the sweat off her brow. “Nothing.”

 

Joohyun sends her a glare and Wendy almost cowers in fear. “Let’s go and get you a medic right now.”

 

It’s a sentence that leaves no place for argument, and Seungwan doesn’t really think she should try to complain somehow, for the pain in her limb became tenacious. So she just nods and lets the older woman lead her somewhere.

 

Her hand is around Joohyun’s neck, the older woman’s arm her waist, supporting her weight. As they slowly walk to find a person to help, her teammates congratulate her and ask her about her state worried - everyone just cares so much since the whole team are practically Wendy’s close friends. Joohyun raises her hand and points ahead, seeming to have found a medic to help take care of her injury. That makes Wendy look up from the ground.

 

She wishes she didn’t.

 

She blinks a couple of times and tries to realize whether everything is happening right now is a dream. Because there is absolutely no way that her ex-girlfriend (also her first love) is standing there with an unreadable expression.

 

(Wendy remembers how when they just started dating she could read every emotion, every twitch of her left brow, slight creases at the corners of her lips, slight swaying of her lovely voice.)

 

But now… She can’t identify anything, that would give away that they know each other. Wendy hears Joohyun saying something before leaving after the speaker announces that the archery contest is about to start. Wendy can’t really bring herself to care.

 

Not when the woman she loved is standing in front of her.

 

---

 

Wendy’s sitting on a bench, her left leg stretched out. The young medic is sitting on a chair she got some young girl to bring to her. It’s awkward. It’s really awkward and no one says a word. Wendy feels a shocking feeling that spreads through her body, when the other woman starts touching her injury, checking.

 

“Does it hurt when I touch like this?”

 

Her voice is softer than Wendy remembers. Or maybe it’s the four years of them being apart that make it sound like pillows and blankets they once shared.

 

“Not as much as it did when we were forced apart,” Wendy gently replies, not taking away her gaze.

 

The other woman’s hands stop moving. Wendy watches as she slowly shakes her head and how a corner of her lips (Wendy noticed that they are redder than usual, which happened a lot when the other would bite them countlessly at their time) lifts up.

 

“You’re still as greasy, huh?” Her eyes find Wendy’s and she feels how the air is getting out of her lungs.

 

“You’re still as beautiful.” Brown eyes lose their playful glint and turn sorrowful.

 

A new contest is going to start and the crowd is getting riled up again but these can’t hear anything beside their hearts that are beating like crazy.

 

“How’s life?” Wendy asks cheerly, bitter inside at the same time. It’s not like she has anything to lose anyway.

 

“Fine.”

 

Wendy’s forced smile falls from her lips when the other woman stands up and signals someone over. The same girl who brought her the chair almost runs to them with an ice pace in her hand.

 

“This is Yerim, ask her anything. There’s nothing major, just a mild sprain. You will have to minimize your movements and put ice on the injury for the time being, every 10 minutes.” She claims, her voice almost robotic, before taking her leave.

 

It’s when she’s walking further Wendy notices that even though her head is held high, her steps confident, her fists are tightly clenched as she holds them at her sides.

 

“Joy-unnie is pretty, right?” A voice inquires.

 

She nods, not looking away until her ex-girlfriend disappears from view. She’s become even more beautiful. Wendy always doubted that it was possible but here she is. She grew taller, the Canadian noticed - the younger woman towered over her all the time and never missed a chance to make fun of her about that small fact. Also…

 

“Joy?” That’s funny, she was Sooyoung for me long time ago. “Is that her name?”

 

The girl - Yerim - bops her head up and down, in a way it’s done by those small figurines in people’s cars. “Yeah, her real name’s Sooyoung but she told everyone to call her Joy. Don’t know why though, she said it’s something about memories or whatever.” Wendy watches as her eyes practically light up. “You were so cool on the track! How can someone run that fast!? O-oh right, the ice-”

“Hey, let me hold it,” Wendy slowly takes the ice pack from Yerim.

 

“No, no, no, I should do it, it’s my job after all,” the medic tries to return the item but falters when Wendy smiles softly and shakes her head.

 

“It’s okay, it’s just ice and I can do it myself. C’mon, help me to get up, the archery’s about to start and I don’t wanna miss it,” she can see that the younger is still in doubts. “Oh, come on, my unnie will kill me if I don’t watch her...please?” A small pout is all it takes for Yerim to get up from the chair and assist her in walking, slowly though. Wendy also doesn’t miss the medic’s pink cheeks.

 

What she does miss is someone’s disapproving gaze, aimed at the two of them, watching closely.

 

--

 

Later, when they give out the medals and the ceremony’s end is nearing, Wendy’s happy that she won but the smile on her face is forced, for when he catches the eyes of one person that’s been clouding her mind from the moment they’ve met in this place.

 

The wound in her leg is almost forgotten, however, the wound in her heart is freshly cut open after thinking she mended it.

 

--

 

Joy is sitting in the waiting room of a hospital she works at and staring at her coffee, finding the way light falls at hot liquid almost magnetizing. It reminds me of Wendy’s eyes. She shakes her head to brush away the thought; she’s been in this tate for two days already and it seems like they don’t want to go away.

 

She didn’t - doesn’t - know what to feel after meeting her ex-girlfriend. Shuold she be happy that she finally got to see her after four long years? Should she be disappointed because none of them did anything to indicate that they still have some feelings for each other? Joy has no idea.

 

“Joy-unnie! Are you here?” an obnoxious voice practically screams in her ear and starts waving her hands in front of Joy’s face.

 

“Yah! What do you want, Yerim?” She asks annoyed, smacking the hands of the younger girl.

 

“Are you okay? You’ve been spacing out a lot lately,” the smaller girl frowns.

 

“Aww, are you worried about me?” She teases Yerim.

 

“Ew, no way,” a disgusted expression appears on her face. “You’re just being weird, well, weirder ever since that contest.”

 

Joy waves a dismissive hand around. “Ah, everything’s fine, just been tired lately.”

 

She’s glad when Yerim seems to have bought that excuse - well, no surprise really, she’s always thought that the younger is a little dumb. Yerim nods and starts walking beside her, blabbering.

 

“Do you remember that athlete, Son Wendy? She was sooooo cool and kind. She even introduced me to Bae Joohyun, that archer, do you know her? And she was pretty,” at that last bit Joy sees Yerim’s cheeks turn red.

 

She pushes her shoulder. “Aww, is our little Yerimie infatuated with someone? And someone so much older?”

 

“Hey! She’s not that old!” Yerim jumps to protect her little ‘crush’. “And why would it matter, anyway? She’s kind, and pretty, and nice. Wouldn’t you like to at least go on a date with her?”

 

If you only knew, Yerim, if you only knew.

 

“Not so sure if she’d go on a date with me,” Joy shrugs nonchalantly, or at least tries, and it sounds bitter even to her, just like  the next sip of coffee she takes, painful, as it breaks through that lump in and quickly falls into her stomach.

 

The younger girl shoots her a bewildered look. “Why? Objectively speaking, you’re not that bad…”

 

“Aww, you really think so?”

 

“I said objectively speaking!” Yerim mutters and smacks the taller woman’s elbow, making her laugh.

 

They drop the topic.

 

--

 

A group of college students, Sooyoung assumes as she looks behind her back at the table who’s been really loud since they’ve entered the small coffee shop. She thinks she caught the emblem of her own university when four of them came to the counter to order hot drinks, leaving one girl sitting at the table. Track team, she deducts.

 

She diverts her thoughts and stares from the noisy group when a young man comes up to order a chai latte. Quite rudely, she might add, even though Sooyoung mustered her best and brightest smile for him, trying to appeal friendly just as her manager ordered her. It’s when the door of the shop slams close the whole place seems to fall into a deep state of silence. After a few seconds people start talking again, filling the place.

 

Sooyoung thinks she hears something that sounds like what a jerk before returning to clean the counter, her shoulders slumped. Suddenly a girl from the rowdy table of students stands up, just before her friends start whispering and giggling between themselves, shooting teasing glances at her back.

 

Sooyoung sighs and forces her lips to form a poor parody of a smile as the girl stops before her. Sooyoung notices just now that she’s much smaller than she is. Cute.

 

“Hello, what can I get you?”

 

“A cup of latte, as sweet as your smile.”

 

The groups of students lets out groans and smacks their foreheads. Sooyoung watches as this girl’s cheeks turn pink but the latter still doesn’t back down. She laughs. She laughs because the look on the other girl’s face is hilarious.

 

“Oh my god, that was so lame!” She cackles and clutches her stomach. “Where did you get this line? ‘Pick up 101’?” She expects to find an even more flustered girl but she’s surprised when she sees a small grin, adorning the athlete's lips.

 

“Well, it doesn’t really matter now, does it? Not when my goal has been completed,” she responds happily.

 

“Yeah?” Sooyoung leans on the counter a bit and now their faces are on the same level. “And what was your goal?”

 

“Make you smile.” The girl says, looking her straight in the eyes.

 

It’s Sooyoung’s turn to blush.

 

“I’m Sooyoung.”

 

“Wendy.”

 

--

 

Wendy laughs a little as the memory of their first meeting surfaces up in her mind. She guesses, Sooyoung was right then - she was very cheesy. But her cheesiness got her an amazing girlfriend for three years. Of course, then… Wendy lets out a heavy sigh.

 

“What are you so gloomy recently?” Her roommate slash best friend Seulgi asks, not looking away from her video game that’s displayed in the living room. “Love problems?” Seulgi chuckles, muttering get that, you piece of crap under her breath after killing an enemy.

 

“You could say that,” Wendy slowly sits down on the couch and throws her head over, choosing to stare at the ceiling. “I’ve met Sooyoung.”

Seulgi abruptly stops playing her game and turns her head in Wendy’s direction. “Sooyoung? As in Sooyoung who left?”

 

The Canadian closes her eyes and rubs her temples. “She didn’t leave me, Seul, it wasn’t like that.”

 

Her head is starting to hurt.

 

--

 

Wendy looks at her phone to check if she got any new messages. Some from her family, some from her coach, her teammates. She frowns. She didn’t get anything from her girlfriend. Her girlfriend, whom she sent some texts before and was left on read. Now that was unusual. As much as Sooyoung kept telling her off for being cheesy she wasn’t much better than her, always clinging, aegyo mode on.

 

She’s tried to call her but the younger girl would either answer and speak her for ten seconds or not pick up at all.

 

Wendy was getting worried if anything bad happened. Of course, she knows that they are adults and can fully function without communicating for more than a couple of hours but still… That has never happened before. So she decided to go to her girlfriend’s apartment to pay her a visit and find out everything.

 

And that’s why she’s standing in front of her door in freezing cold, knocking impatiently. Finally, the door opens and she makes her way in, not asking permission.

 

“Hey, you haven’t been answering my calls or texts, is everything ok-  have you been crying?” Wendy asks when she finally looks up at her girlfriend.

 

She doesn’t get an answer or anything. Suddenly, Sooyoung is dragging her closer to her bigger form and hugs her tightly, leaning down so her head falls into the crook of Wendy’s neck.

 

“Babe…” Confused Wendy mumbles in her ear as she starts to Sooyoung’s back in circles, trying to calm her down so they can talk. “What’s wrong?”

 

After a beat of silence the taller girl answers. “My parents.”

 

These words make Wendy’s body rigid.

 

“They know.”

 

Sooyoung  creates distance between the two of them to see her girlfriend’s reaction to the news. When she sees it she becomes both, nervous and scared, because on Wendy’s face is an expression she has never seen once while they have been dating.

“B-but how? I mean, w-we’ve been really careful, how did they find out? And what does it mean then? Is that why you’ve been so distant lately?” Her eyes turn scared.

 

“Are you going to break up with me?” Her voice trembles because she finds the answer in the way Sooyoung lets go of her and aims her eyes down, not meeting her own glassy ones. “No, you can’t.”

 

“Wan-”

 

“I know they are your parents but you don’t have to do as they please if they can’t accept you the way you are, without trying to ‘fix’ you or any of that crap! I accept you no matter how you are! I love you! You can’t just ruin everything we’ve built together, after all we’ve been through, you can’t!” Tears are flowing down Wendy’s face freely, falling on the floor.

 

She takes Sooyoung’s face in her hands and wipes her tears with her thumbs, the skin of her cheeks slowly. Wendy connects their lips desperately, this salty taste on them piercing through her heart. She’s always hated when Sooyoung cried. She swallows the lump that keeps getting bigger and bigger, and heavier with every second the both of them are in this unfortunate situation.



When she leaves the apartment she also leaves her heart’s pieces there. But now...when her heart is shattered and lost how is she supposed to keep this love? How is she supposed to keep that strong feeling that isn’t dying after a day, a week, a month, two months, two years? Maybe it’s because Wendy’s strong? Because she’s strong she carries the feeling in her hands, careful, not to spill a bit - there is no way she’s going to give a tiny teeny piece of her love to the world that made them drift apart in the most painful way.

 

After Sooyoung leaves the lying starts.

 

She’s okay. First lie.

 

She’s going to delete her number just give her time. Seventh lie.

 

She’s going to get rid of all the photos they’ve taken together. Fifteenth lie.

 

She’ll throw away all of Sooyoung’s clothes. Another lie - she’s actually lost count of how many times she’s said that bit, because the clothes that are left behind are the thing that make her feel that Sooyoung’s still here, that she didn’t leave.

 

Of course, it’s just a lie.

 

She’s okay.

 

She’s fine.

 

Fine.

 

Will it really be like that if she repeats it to herself three times and three millions more?

 

It won’t.

 

--

 

“Wow.”

 

Wendy laughs bitterly as she wipes softly under her eyes. “Yeah. Wow.

 

Seulgi stares at her in disbelief. “Are you gonna do anything about it? I mean- you’ve met each other after all this time, it must be a sign!”

 

“Seulgi, this isn’t one of your dramas. This is real world.”

 

Seulgi tilts her head, thinking. “But you should at least try. You still love her, I can see that. Me who doesn’t usually catch what people think. You have a chance, you shouldn’t waste it. It’s the least you can do, right?”

 

Wendy thinks - Seulgi’s right, isn’t she? After all, what can she lose? She’s already lost everything! “But what should I do?” Uncertainty.

 

“Well, she works in a hospital, I assume? What if you go and talk to her there?”

 

“But which hospital though? How would I know where to go? It’s not like I can message her ‘hey, it’s your ex-girlfriend, can you please what hospital do you work at? asking for a friend. xo’.”

 

Seulgi looks deep in thought and Wendy must admit that it looks a bit terrifying. “There was some girl with her, Yerim. We could ask her!” Seulgi’s eyes are practically glowing as she throws crazy but appealing ideas in.

 

“How would we ask her? No one has her number. Dammit,” Wendy must admit that she got really into looking for way to get Sooyoung back but it seems like destiny just doesn’t want them together.

 

“We, um,” Seulgi starts blushing, “We could ask Joohyun-unnie? She told me that she’s been exchanging messages with her!”

 

Wendy’s heart is beating like crazy right now. “Okay, I won’t ask why you and Joohyun-unnie have been talking about who she’s messaging. I will ask you to get Yerim’s number though.”

 

“Deal.”

 

She has a chance.

 

And she’s not going to let it go.

 

--

 

Yerim is sitting in the hallway of the hospital and reading a book; she decided to spent the little resting time doing something useful. Her patient, a young girl got into a surgery on her leg. Though Yerim knows she doesn’t have to worry, since their hospital has some of the best surgeons and her injury isn’t that serious.

 

However, a voice she didn’t expect hearing here disrupts her peaceful, little world.

 

“Yerim! Hi there,” she looks up and sees Son Wendy standing in front of her, a bag in her hand.

 

Yerim’s eyebrows rise and her cheeks redden, seeing the older girl smiling so brightly. “U-uhm, hi? What are you doing here?”

 

“Well,” Wendy sits on the chair near her. “I came here to thank you for helping me with my injury at the competition.”

 

“Oh, that. I mean, I didn’t do that much? You should thank Joy-unnie if you’re at it.”

 

“Hey, kid, what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed…”

 

Yerim and Wendy turn their heads to look at Joy who stopped walking, not finishing her sentence.

 

“Hey.”

 

“Hi.”

 

What the hell is this atmosphere, Yerim asks herself internally as she watches two women just staring at each other without saying anything or doing. If Wendy came here to thank them here shouldn’t she actually start thanking Joy? She’s startled when Wendy suddenly stands up from her sit and walks slowly to Joy, hobbling.

 

She’s even more confused when the oldest of them all stretches the hand that’s holding the bag out in Joy’s direction.

 

“Here. Your favorite.”

 

What? what? whaaaaat????

 

Yerim looks from Wendy to Joy, and then back, and again, and again, and again. She is sure she’s missing something here. She doesn’t know what.

 

It’s after Wendy leaves when Joy finally looks inside the bag. Her face seems frozen for a couple seconds but then a small smile appears.

 

“Do you like persimmons, Yerim?”

 

--

 

“What the hell was that in the hallway!?” Yerim almost yells, slamming her hand on the counter as Joy makes her coffee in the room.

 

Joy doesn’t respond, choosing to stir her drink. “You really are a little dumb, huh?”

 

“Hey! I’m not dumb! Just tell me what happened! What did she mean by ‘here, your favorite’? How does Wendy-unnie know what your favorite is?” Yerim doesn’t think she’s annoying. It’s just, there are so many questions and no answers.

 

Joy stops.

 

“We dated.”

 

Dated. Wait… does it mean…? No way…

 

“You dated Son Wendy? No way!” An excited glint appears in her eyes.

 

Joy smacks her shoulder, glaring at the smaller girl. “Can you lower your voice a bit?” She hisses. “And what do you mean by ‘no way’, you brat!?”

 

“Prove it.”

 

Joy looks at Yerim who’s trying to seem intimidating but Joy just feels amused. Why should she prove something to her? But if that’s what she wants…

 

Joy takes her phone out of her pocket and goes to her gallery. She opens the folder with photos of them together.

 

(She swears she planned to delete them one day, but time passed and passed and she still couldn’t get the courage to click the damn button.)

 

She chose the picture with the two of them, playing with puppies and looking very much in love.

 

(She still remembers that day. Neither her or Wendy’s buildings allowed pets, so she persuaded the older girl to go to the dog cafe. They had so much fun. She would still look at that picture from time to time. Though she would never admit it to anyone. Especially not Yerim.)

 

“Here.”

 

Yerim looks surprised. Then she checks the date and her eyes widen. “Wait, four years ago… And you still hadn’t deleted this? What happened?”

 

Joy smiles, bitterly. There wasn’t a night she didn’t regret her actions that day. She sighs and takes a sip of her coffee.

 

“It’s a long story, kid.”

 

“Well, I’m willing to listen.”

 

She must admit, that the determined expression on Yerim looks a bit scary.

 

--

 

After that day things changed. Wendy started visiting the hospital almost weekly, saying it’s for the weekly check up. The funniest part was that she asked for doctor Park Sooyoung, the one who practically saved her life on the day of competition.

 

To say that Joy was surprised would be nothing. She couldn’t understand why the older girl kept coming back. Of course, she was happy and all but… Wasn’t Wendy supposed to hate her?

 

She was even more surprised when Wendy came to the hospital, no usual smile on her face. She was caught off guard when the older girl asked her something.

 

“Would you like to have dinner with me?”

 

What did that even mean? Why would Wendy want to ask her out for a dinner? Was it a date? Was she just trying to get back being friends with her? Joy, knowing Wendy’s usually friendly and warm personality, thought that it was possible. Very possible.

 

--

 

And that’s how she finds herself sitting in Wendy’s car, driving in a familiar direction. The car is filled with awkward silence and tension that even some hyper song on the radio doesn’t help. Joy throws Wendy a gaze and quickly looks away because the older girl caught her eyes.

 

“You should watch the road.”

 

Wendy hums. “Well, it’s really difficult when you’re sitting right near me.”

Joy tries to cover her blush and looks out in the mirror, huffing. “Glad to see you haven’t lost you greasiness, Wan.”

 

She misses the way Wendy’s eyes widen because her own heart is beating like crazy as the familiar nickname slips out.

 

They don’t speak after.

 

--

 

Joy finds it hard to breath when she steps out of the car. She looks around the place and sees that not much has changed since the last time she’s been here. They’ve been here. Did Wendy bring them to this hill, to this damn bench just so she could suffer?

 

She misses how her ex-girlfriend stares at her, mesmerized by the way reddish rays of the sun fall on her face, and her hair and her.

 

So beautiful.

 

“Um, so, let’s start, shall we?” She smiles uncertainty.

 

And it’s almost as if nothing changed at all. Almost. Not taking the distance between them, the silence, quick glances in the account. So they sit there, eating their chicken and sipping on their beer, and Wendy almost wants to laugh. Why was she so stupid? Couldn’t she pick a better place for a dinner? Sooyoung wouldn’t probably agree for another one.

 

The ‘dinner’ is finished. Silence falls.

 

And then there are just two people who love each other very much but are too afraid to say a word. Heartbreaking, really.

 

Neither Wendy nor Sooyoung know how their hearts haven’t exploded yet.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

They speak at the same time.

 

Joy looks at Wendy, confused. “Why are you sorry?” She’s the only one who’s at fault in this horrible situation.

 

“I’m sorry for letting you go. I realize now that I should have fought harder for us. And instead I just walked out of the door like a coward. I’m sorry.” She can see Wendy’s eyes, getting watery, but still as beautiful.

 

“You’re not supposed to be sorry. You’re supposed to hate me!” Her raised voice makes Wendy look at her worriedly. “I should be sorry, me, all of this is my fault! All of it…” She starts crying softly, putting her face in her hands, shoulders shaking.

 

She’s not surprised when she feels warm hands on her back. She’s not surprised when Wendy tugs her closer to lock her in her strong arms. She’s not surprised when the woman she had got a chance to love starts placing soft kisses all over her face.

 

“What the hell are you talking about? How could I ever hate someone I love so much?” A kiss follows each and every word and Sooyoung breaks down once again.

 

She starts shaking her head, tears going even stronger and seeing her ex-girlfriend’s state Wendy stops trying to hold her own tears, hiding from something, trying to protect them from the world.

 

“None of this is your fault, babe,” Sooyoung’s heart jumps at the nickname. “We were young. You were stupid for letting your parents get to you and I was stupid for letting go. It’s okay now. We’re okay now. Right?” Sooyoung nods, her nose hitting Wendy’s shoulder, already wet from her tears. And that makes the older girl laugh, loud and happy. Sooyoung looks up at her, eyes and nose red, but Wendy still mutters beautiful under her breath before connecting their lips.  

 

Taste of chicken and beer, tears and sorrow greets them but that doesn’t stop them from thinking that it’s their best kiss.

 

It’s as if a great weight is lifted off their shoulders. The tears are dry by now though their faces are still a bit red, eyes puffy from crying so much. Sooyoung’s head is on Wendy’s shoulder while the other has her arm around the taller girl; both of them are content, gazing up in the night sky.

 

“You know, you were right.” Sooyoung breaks the silence.

 

Wendy turns her head to look at her and moves her lips to gently touch Sooyoung’s forehead. She hums, curious. “About what?”

 

“When you said I shouldn’t live my life so I could please my parents,” she nuzzles her girlfriend’s! neck and blows warm air on the skin.

 

“Hey, that tickles!” Wendy chuckles, her voice low. “And of course I was right. I’m always right, that’s exactly why I knew that you would be perfect for me!”

 

Sooyoung groans. What a way to ruin the moment. “Ugh, so smooth,” She mocks the other.

 

“Not as smooth as my love for you.” A grunt.

 

“God, can you stop this!?”

 

“Never.”

 

She wouldn’t have it any other way, anyway.