A comfort zone is a beautiful place but nothing grows there. (Life begins outside the comfort zone)

Comfort Zone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

AUTHOR'S NOTE: YASSSSSSS! WE DONE WITH THIS!!!

 

PLEASE DROP A COMMENT HUHUHU THANKSSS

 

--

 

 

 

For the past eight years, it has been a tradition between the two of them.

 

Pringles, cheetos, potato chips --- all snacks that Chaewon can find in the nearest convenience store --- cans of beer and cola, and a jug of water behind his UAZ pick up car, two fluttering hearts and four words to utter after this long journey hanging on their lips, off they go.

 

It's going to be a long night, she decides as they awkwardly take a glance at each other, smiling and acting as if there's nothing wrong.

 

“All buckled up?” Minhyun asks, patting the steering wheel.

 

Chaewon puts her seat belt on. “Aye, aye,sir!”

 

And she hopes to last through the night.

 

“Pringles or ----”

 

“Pringles! Pringles!” She happily chants, taking the can of Pringles and offering it to Minhyun who happily munches the said snack.

 

They happily eat the snack away until there's a loud 'Ding!' from Chaewon's notification. She unlocks her phone, opens her instagram, and rolls her eyes sarcastically.

 

“Look at your sister and Aron!” She says, wagging her phone on his face.

 

On it is a photo of Aron and Sujin --- Minhyun's Noona --- displaying a sweet kiss on Aron's SNS. They are even wearing a couple onesies, a rabbit for Sujin and a dog for Aron. Below is a caption of “A New Year With My One and Only.”

 

Currently, Chaewon is exaggerating a fake throw up as she gives a glance back at the said photo. Minhyun taps the heart button in which she protests whilst Minhyun only smiles by her reaction.

 

“What's wrong with that?” He has the audacity to wonder.

 

Chaewon can't help the eye roll. She is not sure whether Minhyun is just really innocent or stupid. “Oh my god, Hwang!” It sounds like she's scandalized at the moment, taking her phone back. “Did you see the photo as I did?” A nod. “And it's not sickeningly sweet for your tooth it gives you cavities?”

 

A shake of his big head.

 

She hangs her head in his stupidity or innocence, you judge it. “What fickery ery.”

 

“I think it's cute.” Minhyun points out.

 

That I have to agree, she thinks.

 

“You're missing out the point, Hwang.” She still protests because she is stubborn AF. “I mean to say, I have known them all my life AND MY INNOCENT EYES HAVE TO SEE THIS?!?” She shoves the phone once more.

 

Minhyun has to laugh at that just to annoy her and pushes the phone away before they suddenly get into an accident. “You've known me all our lives, too.”

 

“So? It's not like you're posting sickeningly sweet toothache-inducing photo such your friend and your sister.”

 

“Point taken.” He conceded and he's never post this or else Chaewon would have his “big head” for that.

 

A comfortable silence follows through as they bob their head to the music.

 

“Hey, Chaeng?” He cuts the silence. Chae hums a reply. “Do you remember how we first met?”

 

Chaewon's eyes go bigger and wider as far as they can by the mere memory.

 

 

 

 

   TRACK 1 – BOLBALGAN4 – GRUMPY

 

 

Liking you is what I do best

Gnawing, pinching, biting and following you without knowing

With red sun glass

 

 

 

 

Busan...

 

It was a new place - - - a new home for her.

 

Park Chae Won was the perfect epitome of a new student in the class. Her new school was not that big and most students knew each other. And she liked that because her previous school was big and there were so many students. Thankfully, her family had to move to Busan for her Dad's new job. (Much better pay, Chae Won, her Mom told her once).

 

A week into this new school and it already felt comfortable. She had already met new friends like Doyeon and Mijung. They would usually hang out together especially during lunch time. Everything was perfect for her.

 

Well, aside from the fact that there was boy who liked teasing and pissing her off.

 

This little boy had eyes like cat's, two front teeth like a rabbit, and a smile that could rival the sun for it could light the whole world. He was undeniably cute but the said boy liked annoying her, kissing her out-of-nowhere then running away.

 

It was super bothering for a ten year old like her.

 

One fateful afternoon, she was eating her perfectly made favorite egg sandwich when the glutton boy kissed her first, bit her sandwich then ran away. She pouted watching him scuffle away. Now, her perfect sandwich was half-eaten.

 

Chaewon lamented on the school bench, munching at the same time glaring on the ground, tuning out the rest of the world. She hated that boy!

 

Why did God hate her so much? She only wanted to eat!

 

Then there was someone leaning down on her and the next thing she knew was her sandwich sitting on the ground.

 

 

 

“You punched me!” chuckles Minhyun. She wants to shove more Pringles inside his throat to stop gloating at her. “I was just going to ask why you seemed down but you freaking punched me!”

 

Chae covers his mouth in defense. “In my defense, I was surprised by you.”

 

 

 

hung open as she saw, not a boy with cat eyes but of foxy's ones, lips as read as cherries and the blood running down his nose ---

 

“Oh no!” exclaimed Chae Won because this was not the boy she was expecting. “Let --- let's go to the clinic.” She pulled him to the clinic with trembling hands and knees, scared that she might get kicked out of her new school.

 

 

 

She sighs heavily, drowning the sound of laughter from Minhyun. Chae wants to disappear from the world and from the embarrassment she gets every time they speak of it. But then again, that was how she met Minhyun --- her best friend of eighteen years. And she's never going to trade it for anything in this world.

 

“I'm sorry for breaking your nose, Hwang.”

 

“Your apology is eighteen years late, Chae.” But there's a hint of fondness in his voice.

 

The woman looks outside, sticking her nose on it. “Still...”

 

“Hey! Hey hey hey!” He singsongs at her, shaking her shoulders harder until she looks at him with a pout. He tries to erase the pout by deflating it by poking. She watches as he keeps laughing at her face. “No sadness tonight, remember?”

 

“Let this be one nostalgic night.” Minhyun's voice resounds in her ears.

 

“It's going to be a New Year.” He still insists.

 

“New Year....” There's a hint of longing in her voice as she looks at Minhyun and his now very red ears. He retracts his hand from her face and cannot look at the way Chae Won is wiggling her brows like a maniac. “New Year..” She repeats again.

 

“Chaeng! Don't remind me, please.”

 

But evilness is like her second nature.

 

 

 

 

 

TRACK 02 – BEVY MARCO – BAD DREAMS

 

 

The temperature of a sandy beach

and the color of the rolling waves

is quite different from yesterday.

 

 

 

It's been a tradition. During Christmas and New Year, the both of them had to spend those nights at each other's houses. Last Christmas, Minhyun spent his night at Chae Won's house at their spare room and now she was to spend her New Year at Hwang's house.

 

But that night had been quite memorable for the two of them. They did not get to enjoy it since the rain was hard outside and his parents told the kids (namely Aron, Sujin, Chae Won and Minhyun) to retreat to their respective rooms (aka boys' room at Minhyun's and girls' room at Sujin's) instead.

 

Sighing, they just followed through with waves at each other.

 

Chae Won knew there was something wrong when she kept tossing on the bed while Sujin slept peacefully. She knew there was something wrong since there was loud roar of thunder outside and Minhyun was scared of the sound. So it didn't come as a surprise when the door of the room opened and Minhyun was having a peak-a-boo inside.

 

He caught her eyes and it was like a hypnotism because she was already standing as they made their way in the living room. There, the two kids both sat on the floor, Minhyun digging himself on her right part.

 

His eyes were in a panic mode as another loud roar struck. And Chae Won wasn't sure whether to laugh or protect him as he whimpered with another struck of the thunder.

 

“I can't believe we're fourteen years old and you're still scared of thunder.” She told him teasingly.

 

Minhyun, as matured as he was, glared at Chaewon in return. “Shut up!”

 

She pouted and shut up but Minhyun still kept flinching every time the thunder roared. She realized how close Minhyun was that he didn't notice that he put her arms around him like a baby.

 

“God, Hwang, I can't believe this.”

 

The fourteen-year old boy nudged her side to keep shut. He was really violent when it came to these things. She stood up but Minhyun whined at her. “Sit down!” He hissed.

 

“I'll be quick.” She only said, running back to get her mp3 player and ear phones. When she came back, Minhyun had his hands covering his ears and foxy eyes shut as if that could tune out the thunder.

 

Chaewon sat beside him, put one ear bud on her, another one on him, and the next moment she knew Minhyun's head was on her shoulders.

 

“Thank you.” He whispered.

 

She stiffened on her place as soon as she heard him spoke.

 

 

 

“You have to admit, Chaeng, you were blushing when I said thank you.” He teases, pinching her nose in the process.

 

Her haw drops, because there's no way in hell. “WHAT? No freaking way!”

 

“Heh.” He smirks that way that kind of makes her sweat because (she'd never admit this to anyone, let alone Hwang Minhyun) it's quite cute. Quite. “Most girls would have fainted if I did that to them.”

 

“What?” inquires Chaewon. “To see that boy a scaredy cat?”

 

There's a proud nod from him. “Then, she'd protect the prince from the evil thunder and thinks 'oh, how cute, my prince!' then she's going to swear that when they grow up, they would get married and be forever together.”

 

“Wait --- isn't that supposed to be like the vice versa? Like a princess blabla instead?”

 

“Chaeng,” Minhyun calls her name like he's tired. “stop gender inequality.”

 

The woman purses her lips then laughs at him. “What. I'm not even --- why am I having this conversation with you again, Hwang?”

 

“You started this!”

 

“And there's another loud roaring of thunder...”

 

Minhyun puts one hand in his ear. “Chaeng, can you not do this ---”

 

 

 

 

“Thank you.” He whispered.

 

She stiffened on her place as soon as she heard him spoke. There's something nice in his voice. They have been the best of friends since they were ten years old and only then she realized how nice his voice sounded if deep.

 

But then there's another loud roar of thunder and Minhyun was next seen jumping from his place on her lap and they were impossibly close. She looked surprised by the close proximity but Minhyun's eyes were closed and couldn't be bother at the moment.

 

“Hwang..” She called-whispered because his parents might wake up. “Hwang..”

 

Hwang Minhyun was complete ignoring her in favor of comfortable seat aka her lap, thankyousomuch. She rolled her eyes and quietly admired her best friend's feature. Long eyelashes,high nose and red red lips. She had seem girls swooning over her best friend (and some even threatening her because they were --- friends) and now, she could see why they would all go gaga over him.

 

“Hwang...” She tried once more but another sound and Minhyun jumped again.

 

 

 

 

“Wow, just thinking about it ---” She shudders in disgust.

 

 

 

This time, Chaewon realized that her lap was indeed wet.

 

“Hwang! You peed on me!” Her voice shook from utter distaste.

 

 

 

Minhyun slumps his head on the steering wheel once there's a traffic and Chaewon can't breathe properly from laughing so much, her hands clutching her belly.

 

“You ---” She snorts. “---peed on me. What the hell, Hwang.”

 

“You wound me, Chaeng. You wound me.” He dramatically clutches his heart and fakes a sob. “But can you shut up? That's like fourteen years ago.”

 

“Every time it's a New Year, I can't help but think about you since then.”

 

Minhyun flutters his eyes open and close at her. “I'm honored.”

 

Chaewon's face screams of disgust looking at her best friend. “You shouldn't be! Wow, like I've never felt so so so ewwww-y in my whole life. A boy! Peed on me!!!”

 

“Beat that, hun.”

 

“Ahhhh--- I just want to sleep.” She deadpans at him. “Good thing, you didn't poop on me.”

 

“Park Chaewon, stop being stupid!”

 

Another retort is on her lips when her phone rings for a video call.

 

Poojin

 

“Well, hello little bro.” She drawls as soon as she sees her brother in the video.

 

“Noona.” He warns, voice deeper than the last time she heard.

 

“Oh, is that Woojin? Hello!” Minhyun greets, showing his face on the video.

 

Alternately, Chaewon looks both at her best friend and brother, pointing a finger, saying. “Pee.” to Minhyun and “Poo.” to Woojin whose head is now shown anymore. “Pee poo pee poo pee poo.”

 

“Hyung!” Woojin whines on the other line. “Shut Noona up!”

 

Minhyun covers but she still singsongs “Pee poo”

 

“I was ---” Her brother shows his face again, beet-red this time. “---just going to greet you and Noona a Happy New Year but I guess I shouldn't have bothered seeing Noona bullying me again.”

 

“Ohhh--” Chaewon coos once is free from his big hand. “---my baby Poojin, Noona is sorry.”

 

There's a hint of mischievousness in Woojin's face, snaggletooth showing up, too. “In one condition.”

 

“Why don't I want to hear this condition?”

 

“Hyuuuuuuuuung!” Woojin asks for Minhyun's back up. Brat knows her weakness and uses it to his advantage. Minhyun looks at her and then to Woojin with a thumbs up. “Why can't I have Minhyun-hyung as my brother instead?”

 

“Brat.” She comments. “What is it, Poojin?”

 

“The newest wii game, Noona. It's just that Jihoonie already has it.” Jihoon is his best friend. He pouts in for more effect, puppy eyes showing and Chaewon can already feel the incoming head ache named Poojin. “Noona, please please please. It's also a New Year, too.”

 

“Poojin...” She sighs.

 

“I'll get it for you.” Minhyun says which earns a loud squeal from Woojin.

 

She glares at him who shrugs in innocence. “No!” She counterfeits. “Why would you buy this brat the game he wants? Let him save his own allowance and buy it himself.”

 

“Noona, Jihoon has it already.” He yammers more.

 

“Borrow from him then?” She bargains.

 

“I don't want toooooooo!” Woojin screams this time.

 

“I'll buy you. I told you.” Minhyun pacifies once more.

 

She looks at him and pinches him. “No no no.”

 

“Then can I ask N--”

 

“Nooooo.” There's finality in her tone. “I'll buy you.”

 

Woojin smiles in triumph and stands up to dance. Chaewon sighs and turns to Minhyun this time, in her chaste voice. “You can't do this to him every time. You can't make him play the cards like this.”

 

But Minhyun cutely pouts at her and jokingly hits her on chest. “Cheapskate.”

 

“Noona, Hyuuuung, thank you so much. I love you. Please get married! Happy New Year!” Woojin kisses the phone and Chaewon shakes her head before turning it off.

 

“He's grown a lot, noh?” He remarks, shaking his head with a fond smile. The kind of smile who feels fatherly and for some reason, Chaewon's heart swells at the thought.

 

“Woojin and Jihoon are going to be my death someday.” Chaewon comments. “But they have grown up a lot.”

 

“Indeed.” He seconds. “Like a man.”

 

She nods her head in reply, her eyes following the other cars outside. Of course, she loves her brother and she will never have him in another way, no matter how nosy or annoying he is.

 

“Chaeng?” Minhyun's voice sounds unsure. “I am just wondering --- if you have seen me as man?”

 

The woman beside him looks at him, petrified by the question. She opens her jaw only to close it again. This isn't something that he usually asks. Yes, he asks random things but as serious as this? Or maybe it's just his tone and how he asks it? Or perhaps she doesn't have the answer for that yet?

 

“I--- but have you ever seen me as a woman?” She all blurts out then regrets after.

 

Minhyun's eyes are fixed on the road when he nods an answer.

 

“How---”

 

“I mean, I am always aware that you are a girl --- or a woman first before you're my best friend.” There's a tiny hint of sadness in his voice. Or perhaps, that's just her illusion. “Most of the guys are aware, Chaeng. Only you aren't, I guess.”

 

“But... we... I...”

 

“So do you?”

 

Chaewon clears a little bit loudly than she intends it to be.

 

 

 

 

 

TRACK 03 – BOLBALGAN4 – FIRST LOVE

 

When we were young, you were timid and quiet, do you remember?

But every time you spoke, you spoke so nicely

Now I can’t tease you anymore, your shoulders are so broad

It makes my heart flutter, it looks so warm

 

 

“Isn't this the girl who likes to stick herself with Minhyun?” A girl sneered at her. She knew this girl because they were actually classmates but the way she was looking at her felt creepy for some reason.

 

The girls hated her. They did. For some reason, her friendship with Hwang Minhyun was the reason. Popular, smart and kind Hwang Minhyun was the reason why.

 

“Yah!” Another girl yelled, even pulling her hair. “We're talking to you, flirt.”

 

She was being crowded by four girls who were all glaring hard at her.

 

Another girl even pulled her bag on the ground, spilling her things. This seemed funny to them for some reason as she picked up the contents of her bag.

 

There was someone who kicked her on the back that sent her kneeling.

 

Then there's another round of laughter. If this was funny, Chaewon had no idea.

 

“When will you stop flirting with Minhyun, huh?”

 

Chaewon made a face. “I'm not even flirting.” She said under her breath.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter