001

Exchange Student

" There's going to be an exchange student staying here with us, right? " The older woman raised a brow at her daughter. She didn't mind having more people staying over, in fact, she loved the thought of having a livelier house. Hana nodded, whipping her phone out to check the email sent to her again. " Her name's Kunpimook. She's a year older, apparently. " 

Her mother nodded with a thoughtful look. " That's a weird name. Where's she from? "

" Thailand. " 

Upon hearing thailand, she nodded again, this time with a hum of acknowledgement. People from Thailand usually have difficult or long names. That's what Hana thought, at least. The reason why the exchange student was at her house was due to the convenience. There was only her and her parents living there. Not to mention, her house was pretty near to school. It was more or less a 10 minute walking distance.

The school had consulted her parents a month ago and her parents readily accepted the offer. Their thought was that the student would help ease Hana from being lonely at home. 

And the exchange student should be here in a few days time. It'd be nice if she was an easy person to deal with. With that hope in mind, she set off to meet her best friend.

Her best friend, being the excited type, was already hyped up for the exchange student's appearance. " Hey, hey, what if it's a handsome guy? You know, there are a lot of beautiful girls in Thailand who are actually boys- "

" - Younggi, the thought of the exchange student like that makes me a little creeped out. " Hana shivers a little. What if the exchange student really is a guy transformed as a girl? Well- that aside, she should focus on going to school first. The two best friends were almost to their class. A day at school seemed to be noisier each time, especially with the news that there was an exchange student coming soon.

A few days felt like minutes because now Hana was in the kitchen, preparing food for the family and the exchange student who was going to arrive that evening. She had planned to cook some simple curry chicken with rice. With her apron on, hands washed, hair tied into a high ponytail, she started to quickly prepare the ingredients. Within a few minutes, a delicious smell filled the house. The ringing of the doorbell caught her offguard. Wasn't the exchange student arriving later? 

Panicking, Hana placed the lid on the pot and ran to the door to greet the guest. To her surprise, her eyes met a pair of dark orbs belonging to a dark-haired boy. His face had feminine features that complimented his masculine jawline so well - in short, he looked gorgeous, perhaps even more than a girl. Catching herself staring in awe, she quickly came back to her senses. Wasn't the student a girl? Or did she read it wrong? 

" Er... Kunpimook? " She tilted her head in confusion. Another surprise for her was when he smiled back and replied fluently, " Bhuwakul. Yeah. You can call me Bambam if that's too difficult. " 

She wouldn't allow herself to gape at his good looking face nor his voice as he spoke, so she took a step aside to let him in. " I - I thought you were supposed to be a girl. " She looked away. No eye contact. None. Just don't try. It was embarrassing enough if she believed he was a girl just by the name, but it was embarrassing that he was damn good looking. 

He laughed at her statement. " I guess that could happen. The school must've mixed up my gender or something. You don't think I'm a girl that turned into a boy, do you? " No offence, but looking at how feminine his features are, he could pass off as a girl. 

" ...No. " Hana mutters. There was a silence before she continued. " Actually, yes. " 

Once again, he laughed. " I'm a boy. Really. Anyway, what's that delicious smell? You were in the middle of cooking? " Bambam looks down at her apron, then above her head, sniffing around. She only noticed then that he was pretty tall. And skinny. Perhaps, more towards the lean side? Her thoughts go back to her curry chicken and she hurries back to the kitchen. " I'll be back! Sit down or take a look around. " 

The moment she went into the kitchen, she resumed her cooking. Knowing that the student was already here and actually a boy made her panicked. She quickly finished the curry chicken, fried some chicken and cooked the rice before she was done with cooking. It took a while for her to realise that Bambam had followed her and had been observing her cook the whole time. " You're a pretty good cook, huh? A natural, I see. "

Hana spun around, gasping in surprise. She hadn't expected him to be there at all. " I told you to sit down or look around... " She mutters, sighing a little. " How long have you stood there? " 

Bambam hummed, looking away in thought. " Since you stepped into the kitchen? " He answered back, almost like a question. Gee, this boy was weird, Hana thought. " Care to wait for my parents to come home before we have dinner? " 

" Why not. Give me a tour before then. " He shrugged before smiling at her. 

And so the two went around the house for about half an hour. Hana showed him to his room last, which was the empty room opposite hers. She was glad that there was an empty room, if not he would have had to sleep in the living room. The two were in the middle of a conversation about school and the subjects, when the ringing of the doorbell made them cut it short.

In the past hour that they had just met each other, Hana felt that Bambam was a nice boy. He was open and he laughed a lot. The meeting with her parents was awkward, because they too belived that he was a girl dressed up as a boy at first sight. However, with his personality, her parents warmed up to him quickly. 

School was going to be hectic.