Chapter One

The Stars Align and You Are By My Side

Nerves coiled in Jonghyun’s stomach, paper in his hands shaking as he regarded the gargoyle before him. Two words. That was all he needed to say. Two words and the pathway to his demise would reveal itself. He filled his lungs with a deep breath of air before forcing the password out between clenched teeth.

‘Sherbet Lemon.’

The gargoyle shifted, revealing the staircase to the headmaster’s office in its wake. With a heavy sigh and shaking legs, Jonghyun began the reluctant trek up the stairs, before knocking softly on the office door. His insides felt as though they were being wounded and whirled inside a washing machine, forcing Jonghyun to hold his breath and stare at the door just so he wouldn’t spill his guts all over Headmaster Dumbledore’s office floor.

He supposed this moment had been a long time coming. His grades had been declining at a rapid rate since fourth year, but now, leading up to his exams, the stress had begun to get the best of Jonghyun. It certainly didn’t help that his anxiety made it beyond difficult to focus in class, with the teachers breathing down his neck and berating him at seemingly every opportunity they had. That afternoon had been McGonagall’s limit. When Jonghyun had been embarrassed before the whole class for pronouncing a spell they learned two years ago incorrectly by the witch, his voice and hand had started to shake so badly that it only went downhill from there. Somehow, rather than turning his teacup into a mouse, he had accidentally sent the teacup flying towards the student in next row instead, smashing to pieces against the back of their head.

The student, whose name he learnt to be Jinki, had been sent immediately to the infirmary, though his eyes had laughed joyously as he passed Jonghyun on the way out. Unfortunately, his incompetence in the art of Transfiguration had not been met with the same reaction by everyone else. His fellow students had laughed at his ‘stupidity’, before Professor McGonagall had abruptly dismissed the class and given him a stern lecture on the importance of pronunciation and safety in the classroom. As though he didn’t already feel bad enough.

‘Mr Kim, if you cannot manage to lift your grades before the Christmas break, I’m afraid I’ll have no choice but to forbid you from sitting your exams. This is not just about whether or not you pass or fail. You are, you must realise, putting the other students in danger. We have seen it on multiple occasions, and as I’ve been informed by Professor Snape and Professor Flitwick, it is not just in my class. I strongly suggest, if you wish for some assistance in your subjects, to either address Professor Sprout or Headmaster Dumbledore on the matter. Though do keep in mind that the Headmaster might have various more ideas on fixing the matter.’

She was right, of course. He had gone to Professor Sprout initially, as his head of house. However she had merely suggested that he join the house homework club, and Jonghyun didn’t find himself overly eager to join a bunch of equally struggling students in an environment where people were likely to distract him. Distractions were the last thing he needed right now. Because if he couldn’t sit his exams, Jonghyun didn’t think he’d be able to look at the expression of pure disappointment which was sure to be embellishing his mother’s face.

So here he was. Standing outside the headmaster’s office with bated breath, wringing his hands and praying to Merlin that he wouldn’t throw up in the man’s presence. Though Jonghyun was already in his sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he, like many other students, had never actually spoken to the headmaster one on one before. It was safe to say it was a nerve wracking experience.

Lost amongst his own thoughts, Jonghyun barely registered the door of Dumbledore’s office opening until he heard a kind ‘Enter’ sounding from inside. He startled, swallowed his nerves, and slowly shuffled inside.

‘Good evening, Headmaster.’ he greeted softly, cheeks already tinging red as the man regarded him studiously from behind his desk. His heartbeat was loud in his ears, and he could feel his shoulders slumping in an effort to guard himself from inevitable judgement. Yet before his pessimistic self-doubt could consume him, Dumbledore smiled kindly and his blue eyes seemed to simply twinkle behind his half-moon spectacles.

‘Good evening, Mr Kim. Take a seat, my boy. Lemon drop?’

Jonghyun nimbly sat down at the proffered chair, and hesitantly reached out to take a sweet. ‘Thank you, sir.’

‘Not a problem at all, Mr Kim. Everything well, I hope?’ The headmaster himself took a lemon drop from the tray and popped it in his mouth, eyes creasing marginally at the sour taste.

‘As well as one could hope, Headmaster. Um, it’s just… Professor McGonagall--’

‘--Sent you here to talk about your grades, I am well aware. Upon being informed of your struggles, I did take the time to take a look at your past results, Mr Kim. Though you do seem to be having difficulties in Transfiguration, Potions, Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts, I was pleasantly surprised at your grades in Astronomy and Care of Magical Creatures. However I must ask, Mr Kim, if you do not mind: As a muggleborn, why are you taking Muggle Studies?’

Jonghyun couldn’t refrain himself. In his embarrassment, he blushed brightly. It was true. He had been taking Muggle Studies since third year despite having grown up in a muggle environment his entire life. Feeling the need to defend himself, Jonghyun choked out softly. ‘I… Quite like the muggle world, sir. I feel like I belong.’

Dumbledore peered at him for a few long seconds, before simply nodding in understanding. ‘And you do not feel as though you belong in the magical world, Mr Kim?’

Cussing inwardly, Jonghyun shuffled his legs beneath the chair and avoided the man’s gaze. Now the headmaster would think he hated Hogwarts, which was the exact opposite of the truth. ‘N-No… I do, Headmaster. Sometimes, I mean. Well, I love magic – really. Just...’ Jonghyun swallowed thickly. Why could he never find his words when the time called for it? ‘I think that magic doesn’t feel the same about me. That’s all, sir.’

‘Ah.’ Dumbledore hummed in understanding, plucking another lemon drop from the bowl. ‘Quite interesting, Mr Kim. But I think you’ll find that there are many other students here at Hogwarts that feel quite similarly to you. But now, on to the issue at hand.’

Jonghyun nodded fervently, eager to change the direction of their conversation.

‘I believe that a tutor would be best in your situation. I already have a few students in mind, in fact.’ His eyes twinkled mischievously, and Jonghyun blanched. What on earth was the headmaster thinking?

‘Am I correct in saying that you are of Korean descent, Mr Kim?’

‘Yes, sir. My family moved to England when I was ten.’

The headmaster smiled, as though he had thought as much. ‘Do you think that perhaps your Korean accent sometimes makes pronouncing the spells difficult?’

Jonghyun paused. He had never really thought much about it, but yes, it did. ‘I suppose, sir. Only a few sounds and letters though.’

‘Well, Mr Kim, I was thinking it would be of benefit to have a tutor who you could more easily converse with, and perhaps assist with your pronunciation as well. There is a student in fifth year who is Korean much like yourself, and is flourishing in all his subjects. He’s a very diligent boy, I believe that you two will get along quite nicely.’

‘But, Headmaster? I’m in sixth year. Sir.’

Dumbledore laughed heartily. ‘I am well aware, my boy. However Kibum is very advanced for his age. I do not think his school year will prove to make any difference in his abilities, as I am sure you will find.’

Though reluctant, Jonghyun nodded in agreement. ‘That sounds fine then, sir.’

‘I’m glad you agree, my boy. I will send a letter to Kibum about the arrangement, and inform you via owl where the two of you shall meet to study.’

‘Thank you, sir.’ Jonghyun bowed his head humbly, before lifting from his seat. Unsure of whether he could dismiss himself, Jonghyun awkwardly shuffled around the chair and gave the headmaster a half wave, scurrying out of the door in humiliation as the headmaster chuckled at his manner before waving back wholeheartedly.

‘Have a good evening, Mr Kim.’