Cleopatra's Booty Call

One Meow Away

At this point in Chanyeol’s college life of being a veterinary student, sleep is a privilege.

The sleep-deprived student haven’t had a proper sleep of 8 hours ever since he stepped foot in this institution 3 years ago, however, this night appears once in a blue moon when he can sleep for 5 hours and that’s actually saying something. He had done 2 of his term papers due the next day and have already finished studying for his finals early that night (started last week).

It’s already 11:30 in the evening.

“Finally, I can sleep.” He groans rubbing his eyes tipping of his round, slim-rimmed, old fashion glasses on his nose.

He stands up from his chair to fix his books and notes on his desk preparing for the day ahead. He’s proud of himself for being able to end any school commitments before midnight since he’s usually done at the crack of dawn.

Once done, he crashes onto his bed faster than Usain Bolt can finish a 50-meter lane. Even without cuddling Ptolemy, his puppy plushy, he couldn’t care less as soon as he finds a comfortable sleeping position even with his glasses on and dozes off to dreamland seconds after.

 

Now, who’s this knocking on my door at ing—

“3 in the morning?!” He loudly cries in his dark room as he check the time in his phone and fixes his glasses at the same time.

A series of knocks can still be heard knocking on heaven’s door.

“This er better be asking for a one-way ticket to hell, I swear.” Still in bed, uncoordinated and irritated, he grudgingly leaves his bed to switch the lights on.

He’s beyond pissed off right now, and the other side is going to die.

Ready to punch he who dared disrupting his sacred sleep, he angrily opens the door to face his most hated person of the hour.

A crying apologetic face of an angel.

“Sorry! Sorry! Oh my God, I’m so sorry!” The guy in front shakily chants repeatedly as he bows correspondingly. “I know that it’s already – it’s already 3 in the morning but, bu—but I don’t kn-know who else to turn to.”

Chanyeol still high on the element of surprise can’t speak for himself. He expected this someone to be his drunk s of friends or maybe his neighbor Kyungsoo needing something from him, but never did it occur in his mind it’d be an adorable bub of stuttering mess and faucet tears.

“Uh,” The sleepy boarder scratches his hair in sigh, ”Look, why don’t you calm down first, okay? And then, you can explain yourself.”

“B-but there’s no time for that!” The smaller frantically answers as he tries to control his sobs, “You see, C-cl-cleopatra! She-She’s a cat! And you’re a vet student, right? Or as said by Jongdae.”

He mumbles the last part, suddenly feeling conscious of his own disastrous appearance in front of the incredibly six-foot tall of hot mess.

This is for Cleopatra’s sake!

“Yes, I’m a vet student. What do you exactly need me for?” Chanyeol asks in a cranky manner. He’s a friendly person by nature and would gladly offer everyone, even strangers, smiles and warm welcome but just not 3 in the ing morning.

He crosses his arms across his chest and leans on his doorway making Baekhyun notice his manly and veiny arms. The tiny man gulps and looks away quickly.

Cleo, Cleo, Cleo, Cleo, Cle—

A loud snap of fingers from the man makes him turn to the source of sound, and to his surprise, he’s met with a heightened 1080p HD quality of the taller’s gorgeous face just a few inches away from his. He’s taken aback and reprimands himself to get his head out of his before he can make a fool of himself any further.

He takes a deep breath before answering, “Well, you see my Cleopatra is a cat and she’s been acting weird for the past few days. She seems frantic and restless or something. She just can’t stay on her bed like she usually does since she’s really fat but now, she’s pacing like everywhere around the place. She keeps on yowling and whimpering and rejecting whatever treat I give her and would throw up at times. She’s in some sort of pain and I’m panicking because I don’t know what to do and---“

He didn’t know he’s already rambling on and on and on until the Chanyeol places both of his on his shoulders firmly to shake him off from whatever he’s spewing out of his mouth.

Chanyeol is surprised he actually understands what this brunette in from of him is spurting.

Cleopatra – Cat – Not eating – Pain. Got it.

Even though a quarter past 3 has already passed, Chanyeol just can’t sleep thinking that there’s a cat, or any animal within his radius, out there suffering. He really has a huge mushy spot for animals.

“Okay then, I’m just going to get my emergency medical kit and we’re good to go to wherever your cat is. Just wait here.” He firmly instructs the smaller one.

Baekhyun quickly nods in gratitude and quietly stays on his exact spot while waiting for his—he means, Cleopatra’s knight in shining armor.

Or should he say, Knight in loose Marvel shirt and Rilakumma pajamas.

Cleopatra’s savior emerged from his room with a relatively large white kit in hand. Without any further words, they bolt their way into Baekhyun’s room one floor below.

Baekhyun’s unit is similar to Chanyeol’s in size and interior design. Large, dusty books stacked in organized piles in cabinets and on desks. Cream yellow walls bounding the place as one, and were decorated with various frames in sizes. Chanyeol’s were plastered with paintings, while Baekhyun’s were of framed news clippings and vintage art. Other simple modern furniture correlating with the color coordination of the room were displayed. Overall, the whole place is pretty neat for a guy if he were to judge.

Chanyeol would like to compliment this stranger’s place but he has no time for chitchats and making friends as Cleopatra welcomes them with her loud, painful cries inside a room. Baekhyun hurriedly bust inside the room followed by the vet student to aid the poor cat.

Chanyeol’s sight meets a yowling distressed gray ball of fluff pacing in circle in a corner of what he assumes to be the bedroom of the owner. If he were to meet this British Shorthair cat in some other way, he would’ve squealed in delight and would pamper this adorable cat with his kisses, unfortunately however, this isn’t the case. 

He already has an idea what Cleopatra’s condition might be, but he needs confirmation. He needs to be careful with his actions and be sensitive towards the cat so as to not scare her away. He cooes and says words of comfort as he put his kit down in surrender. This seems to make the damsel in distress relax which Chanyeol sees as a chance to check on her.

Baekhyun stays beside him as he speculates his Cleopatra with deep concentration and tender touches here and there, moving her body as carefully as possible. He’s really worried about his cat. His mind already got into cancer, diabetes, hypertension, obesity, hyperlipide---

“I got it.” Chanyeol announces in that deep serious voice of his that would have been a hundred times hotter if not for the kind of situation Baekhyun is currently in.

Chanyeol confirmed his diagnosis and he’s really seeing red right now.

He got woken up to this?! JUST. WITH. THIS?!

This is a natural phenomenon for cats and they don’t need help with this. Cleopatra can handle this herself and her owner is just being a paranoid crybaby and Chanyeol isn’t needed in the first place. What Chanyeol needs right now is sleep. He still has exams to take the next day – Oh, in a few hours, and he is not getting any rest at all. This is his annoyed and tired self talking.

He breathes deeply and exhales with a sigh controlling the hot lava bursting out of the volcano inside of him.

He’s going to tell it to the boy and go back to sleep. Easy as that.

“He’s very fat.” The taller speaks again and Baekhyun wants to cry.

He knew it. His Cleopatra’s dying of obesity! Her life span decreased 20 years earlier and her time on Earth is going to end and Baekhyun can’t do anything about it!

“I know!” Baekhyun wails, “I’ve been trying to get her to workout—“

“And very pregnant on that matter.” They speak at the same time.

“but she just wouldn’t –“ As Baekhyun continues to complain, the new information had just sunken in.

“wait, WHAT?” Both, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, exclaims facing each other with the same surprised expression on each.

“My cat is pregnant?!”

“And you’re forcing her to work out while she’s pregnant?! Are you crazy?!”

“Well, how the hell am I supposed to know she’s pregnant? She’s really fat! I thought she’s overweight or in the borderline of being obese so I tried to make her exercise.” Baekhyun defends himself.

“Cats, like human beings and other mammals out there, do bloat like balloons during their gestation period and get really, really fat if you didn’t notice.” Chanyeol retorts, “Which you actually didn’t.”

“Ge-geswhat? Gas station?”

“It’s gestation, you idiot.”

“I don’t care!”

“You just asked me!”

“Whatever the hell gas station means!” Baekhyun angrily responds, “I got her as a birthday gift just a month ago and she was already huge. It could easily be mistaken as an obese cat.”

“Only dumb people can’t tell that she’s pregnant.” Baekhyun looks hurt but this did not stopped Chanyeol from reprimanding the smaller, “Look at her! Her belly’s the same size as a watermelon but it isn’t proportional to the size of her head and arms if she were to be obese as you assumed her to be.”

“I’m no veterinarian as you are, Captain Obvious. Unlike you, I’m studying literature!”

“And unlike you, I still have 3 ing finals in a few hours and I need to ing rest!” Chanyeol explodes shocking Baekhyun but quickly composes himself, “Cleopatra can do that on her own. She’ll be fine. I suggest you move her into a more private place and farther from you if you still want to sleep or whatever.”

Without giving the smaller a chance to reply, he takes long furious strides towards the door and in no time, he’s gone.

Leaving one guilty soul and one unopened medical kit.

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is pretty much a short chapter!! I'm sorryyyy T^T I've decided to make this a chapter fic (short fic tho) I'm not ready to commit writing a novel lmao //