Prologue

Son Wendy's Moonlight Melody

The security guard at the front desk of KRV Radio Station gave his warm smile to a dark purple-haired girl who was running as fast as she could in order to catch the closing elevator.

“Hi, Mr. Kim!”

“Be careful, Ms. Son!”

The girl made it just in time before the door closed completely. Once inside, she tried to even her ragged breaths. Tonight’s traffic was especially crowded and she miscalculated her ETA. So here she was, keeping her eyes glued to the glowing red number inside the elevator and ignoring the beeping notification light on her phone. Her broadcast would start in less than 10 minutes and she hadn’t been briefed yet. Wendy prided herself on being punctual, so this was one of those rare ocassions where she was this close to being late to the broadcast of her own program.

Once she arrived in front of the studio, Wendy flung the door open.

“I’m so very sorry, guys,” she dropped her bag without caring about where it landed. “The traffic was hell.”

Their intern, Yeri, handed her the script. “Here.”

“Thanks, Yerm,she studied the A4 papers right away.

“Calm yourself down, Wen.”

Wendy turned around to see her Program Director, Seulgi, sitting on the sofa with her beloved Pringles can nearby. “We can’t let you give advice to people if you can’t even breathe properly.”

“Seul, as you can see, I’m late and unprepared. Why are you so calm about this?”

Seulgi’s smile was so warm and Wendy could feel her panic starting to slowly dissipate. “Listen, you’ve been on this program for a year now and I can literally count how many times you’re late by using only one hand. I don’t have to brief you, you’ve been doing your work almost impeccably and people love you. I don’t know why you’re so worried.”

“But if our program starts late—“

“Eric can just play a song or two. Right, Eric?”

Eric the Music Director, nodded. “Of course. Easy peasy,” he frowned as soon as he turned to face Wendy. “You look really pale, by the way.”

Seulgi walked over to pat her shoulder. “Relax and pull yourself together. You got this.”

Wendy mentally made a note to treat her team to a nice barbeque place near the office. Their understanding, kindness, and trust made her feel safe and loved. They had been through so many things together and they were really like her little family. The DJ composed herself, sat on the familiar chair, and wore her headphone. Following Seulgi’s cue, she opened the program and shifted her focus on being her listeners’ source of comfort for the next three hours.

+++

Irene never thought that she could fall in love with a voice—or fall in love again for that matter. Heck, after a series of painful mishaps in her relationship history, she vowed not to ever fall in love for the rest of her life. She had already accepted her fate to grow old all by herself and probably die alone (but without cats, Irene is allergic to them and other fluffy animals, unfortunately). But here she was, in her living room at 8.50 pm on a Saturday night, making herself feel as comfortable as possible with pillows, blanket, dim lights, and a cup of hot tea.

Sometimes she questions her decision of making time religiously for someone she hasn’t even met only because she loves her soothing voice. As far as she knows, Son Wendy is only a radio DJ, unlike other DJs who are more well-known as reporters, comedians, and even singers. Almost all of them are public figures, but Wendy is different. Irene hardly hears about her outside of the radio realm and she likes to keep it that way. It adds a flair of mystery and mystery always makes things more interesting. She often wonders about this too, because this kind of crush isn’t really ideal. But all her questions and doubts will vanish as quickly as they come once she listens to the voice that she adores so much.

The opening song for “Son Wendy’s Moonlight Melody” started playing and Irene could feel herself smiling because of the anticipation and excitement. Her nosy neighbor, Joy, loves to barge in, but she knows not to do that when the program is on. She almost fell victim into Irene’s wrath back when she didn’t know any better.

After greeting her listeners, Wendy will make a recap of this week’s current events, ranging from politics to entertainment. She will share her opinions or reveal interesting bits of trivia for each topic. It’s no less interesting, but the next two segments are the reason why her radio program is so loved by many, especially Irene.

For the “Talk to Me” segment, Wendy will read messages from her listeners and sometimes grant their requests, such as showing cuteness or giving personalized greetings. But people also often share their problems and concerns then ask Wendy to dish out some advice for them. With calming, caring, and sympathetic voice, Wendy will do exactly that. Irene remembered someone sending a message saying that he felt like he had a friend in Wendy and he thanked her for it (she also remembered herself choking up a bit after that).

Finally, Wendy will share her top three songs of the week in the aptly-titled segment “Wendy Recommends” where she will play the tunes after explaining why she pick them. Irene always considered this to be the most personal segment of all. Aside from her beautiful voice, Wendy’s great taste in music also made Irene fall even deeper.

Each segment lasts for an hour and honestly, it’s the only fault that Irene could find from this heartwarming program that always left her wanting more.