01/01

Forgotten
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

01/01

 

 

Busan, 1998 - 5 years old.

We ran after each other as we were playing catch. I could still remember how the wind blew that day. Even though the sun was shining bright, the wind actually helped to cool us down. He was always so fast at running that I could never catch him; or sometimes I’d be too slow and would be caught in no time.

I frowned a bit at the sight he became tired from all the running. Breathing heavily, he slumped himself down onto the sand. “I really, really like to sit by the sea.” He stated, then I made my move to sit beside him. “Look, ship!” He pointed a white ship that was quite far from the beach, hence, it looked so small. “How could it be that small! How would it take people?” He squinted his eyes, and I just laughed at his comments.

“Daehyun-ah! Come here and eat!” Both of us turned our head as Daehyun’s mother calling him. That was one thing Daehyun liked to do the most; eating. So he quickly forgot the ship and the sea, and just stood up to run toward his family.

“Wait for me, Daehyun!” I called, running after him. As I said that, he turned his head to me, making a gesture so I’d follow him eating.

 

Daehyun happily munched his kimbap. It’s more likely only his brunch. He would eat some more later, he couldn’t be full with just those. “Umma, give some to Youngjae too!” Daehyun frowned. He took one of empty plates and asked to be filled with kimbap.

“Oh—right,” She smiled, putting a slice of Kimbap on the empty plate. “Here, Youngjae.” I looked at the kimbap Daehyun’s mom gave to me. It looked really good, but I don’t want to eat that. I wasn’t that hungry and looked like Daehyun needed that more.

I could see how Daehyun glanced at my kimbap every now and then. He already finished his kimbap; obviously it wasn’t enough for him. “Do you want mine? I don’t really eat.” I smiled sheepishly, pointing at the food in front of me.

Daehyun’s smile turned into a wide grin pretty fast as I said that. He took my plate, “Umma, Youngjae said he’s not eating so I’m going to eat his kimbap!” He stated, taking the plate that supposed to be for me and Daehyun’s mom laughed at her son.

“Yesterday at dinner you also took Youngjae’s portion. Isn’t he hungry?” She asked, Daehyun’s hair gently.

Daehyun frowned, before shook his head. “I took it because Youngjae said he’s not eating, Umma. That’s a waste, so I should eat it.”

All of us laughed at Daehyun’s statement.

 

Today was so fun, and I’ll sleep with Daehyun tonight. Daehyun told me that he’d play swords with me and he’d read a story he liked so much. I couldn’t wait. I really love to play swords with Daehyun because I’m just really good at it. I could actually block almost all of his attack—but sometime we had to stop because Daehyun’s mom scared that we might broke things.

We were having dinner together with Daehyun’s family. They laughed at all stories Daehyun told about me and him. I didn’t feel hungry either; so I just gave my portion to Daehyun again. He’s a big eater, after all.

Daehyun told how much he had fun playing catch with me at the beach, and how he built sandcastle together. I really liked it too, I wanted to tell Daehyun’s parent how I enjoyed it, but Daehyun already did it for me. So I just laughed along at his stories.

“I’m going to play swords with Youngjae. Can I, Umma?” Daehyun asked, blinking his eyes cutely—that was his trick to get agreement from her mom, Daehyun ever told me once.

His mom let out an inaudible sigh and nodded, “Yes, but play it in your room and don’t break anything. Promise?”

“Promise!” He grinned, then looked at me. “Youngjae, tell Umma that you promise too.”

“I promise, auntie.” I said, and both of Daehyun and his mom smiled as well.

“He said he promised too! Goodnight Umma, I’ll be in my room!” He reached up to give his mom goodnight kisses, and quickly turn to me. “Let’s go, Youngjae! Let’s have our heat battle!” He ran toward his room, and I quickly followed after.

 

Tonight’s sword battle was so heated. I think Daehyun never ran out of energy. He kept on swinging his sword toward me and I tried my best to block all his attacks. Even so, he looked like he had lots of fun by playing swords with me.

After awhile, he huffed and lied down onto his bed, drenched in sweat. “Today’s so fun!” He exclaimed. “I really, really liked beach. Did you have fun?”

I nodded in agreement. I had a lot of fun too today. “I really liked playing catch with you.”

“Me too! But you almost made me fell into the water,” He frowned, which made me laugh. “The dinner was really good, why didn’t you eat? You eat so little.”

I shook my head, I’ve never been a big eater ever since. “I’m not that hungry and you look like you wanted it more, so...” I just shrugged it off. “Dae, we should sleep. It’s getting late and your mom’s going to check to your room.”

As I said that, we suddenly heard footsteps getting closer to Daehyun’s room so the latter quickly turned the lights off as both of us—in a light of speed—hiding under the blanket, pretend to be asleep. Luckily, just in time when Daehyun’s mom got in.

I peeked a little, Daehyun’s mom walked toward the bed. Seeing Daehyun’s closed eyes, she seemed convinced that Daehyun was asleep already. She leaned in to give goodnight kiss to Daehyun before quietly left his room.

“D-Did my mom leave already?” He whispered, then peeked. When he was sure his mom’s not around, he opened his eyes and his bedside lamp. “I thought I’d be scolded again.” He said, whispering.

“We should continue playing tomorrow. It’s not safe to play again today. Your mom might hear and check to the bedroom again.” I talked out my opinion. “We should do something else if you don’t want to sleep yet.”

Daehyun nodded. He seemed to agree with what I said. “I don’t want to read now. How about, just talking?”

Daehyun had always been a chatterbox since he started to talk. Besides eating, he also talked a lot. “Alright. What do you want to talk about?”

He fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter