Together

New Year Locks

“Himchannie~~~” You whined, huddling up in your coat as the wind blew against you. The only warm part of your body was your hand, which your boyfriend of the past three years was holding tightly in his own. You walked along a boardwalk at the top of the North Seoul Tower where you were exposed to the harsh, freezing wind.

 

“Yes, jagiya~?” He whined back playfully while smiling. It was New Year’s Day and he was in the highest of spirits, while butterflies fluttered throughout his entire being. He was anxious, unsure of how you would feel about the end of this date.

 

“I’m cold, why are we here?” You huddled closer to him, holding his arm and making him smile even wider. You were never one for excessive romantic displays.

 

“Baby, this is the most romantic place in Seoul and all you can think about is the cold?” You walked along the fence together, seeing all of the locks covering every square inch of the chainlink barrier. Lovers from all around the world had come here, writing their names or initials in the locks before putting them on the fence and throwing away the key, supposedly ensuring their love. To make it last forever.

 

“You know I don’t really care for all this mushy stuff.” You pouted, looking up at him, trying to get him to change his mind. You would rather be at home cuddling on the couch after your long night last night. The two of you had been out all day, slowly making your way to the tower. But by now it was almost sunset; he wouldn’t keep you out in the cold and dark, would he? “Let’s go back home.”

 

Himchan stopped and looked down at you with a smile. He grabbed both of your hands in his and pulled you close, kissing your lips slowly. You felt your cheeks heat up as he kissed you more intimately, despite being out in public. You ped his jacket to get your hands inside, hugging him tightly around his waist, taking in his warmth.

 

He slowly ended the kiss, keeping his forehead pressed against yours as the two of you caught your breath. “Baby, we’re here for a very important event. Hopefully something we’ll remember for the rest of our lives.” He took a deep breath and stepped back and knelt down on one knee. Reaching into his jacket pocket, he brought out a simple gold padlock with both of your initials etched into it. But it was what was on the locked shackle that really caught your attention. In the fading sunlight, a ring glimmered beautifully. Himchan carefully pulled a small gold key out of his other pocket and held it out to you, looking up at you hopefully.

 

“Wh-what is this..?” You asked, reaching out with a shaking hand to take the key.

 

Himchan smiled at you adoringly, knowing your weren’t just shaking from the cold. “Jagiya, you are the most amazing person I know. These past few years have been the happiest of my life and I feel so lucky to have shared them with you. And you’re lucky to have shared them with me, of course.” He winked at you and you laughed, tears beginning to form in your eyes. “I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you unlock my heart and stay with me forever?”

 

You laughed and nodded at his intense cheesiness. “Mhmm” As the sun finally set, you took the key and fit it into the keyhole, turning it, and unlocking it with a satisfying click. “Of course.”

 

Himchan laughed lightly in relief and stood up, sliding the ring off of the shackle. He took your left hand and slipped the ring onto your ring finger smoothly. He opened his mouth to say something but you cut him off with a squeal, suddenly throwing yourself at him, your arms around his neck. He stumbled back a few steps into the fence, wrapping his arms around your waist and burying his face against your neck.

 

You couldn’t stop laughing/ crying and you didn’t know what else to do. The happiness blooming in your chest heating you up despite the cold all around you. The two of you stayed like that for several moments as overhead lamps came on, illuminating the path along the fence.

 

Himchan pulled away and you let go. He smiled at you, happiness radiating from his entire being. “I love you jagiya. I love you so much. Thank you.” Even though he still had the lock in one hand, he held your face between his two hands and kissed you passionately. You held onto his arms and kissed him back.

 

You his lips as the kiss slowed and you looked up to meet his eyes. “I’m still cold though.” You whispered in his ear, making him laugh out loud.

 

“Well let’s get going, then.” He pecked your nose and held the lock out for you. You smiled up at him and found a spot on the fence. You quickly slipped it around the metal and locked it, enjoying the click it made again. You then threw the key away, over the fence, as hard as you could.

 

You turned and grabbed his hand, blushing at the way he looked at you. Like you were finally all his and no one else’s. That you were going to be together forever.

★☆★☆★☆

was it okay?