I love you (You needed to know)

Bucket List

Youngjae stared at the small wrinkled, yellow paper, and he pushed down the urge to cry. He had long since accepted his fate, but the closer he got to the bottom of the list, the more he realized it was true. Swallowing the lump in his throat, Youngjae maneuvered his wheel chair to the window. He had one more thing he had to do. He’d done everything he wanted, he’d been everywhere he’d ever wished to go but the last thing on his list, was the most important. Yet, it was the hardest thing he ever had to do. Youngjae wouldn’t lie, he had put it last, hoping he’d pass before he could do it, he didn’t want to hurt his friend the way he knew he would. But, he was still kicking, and this was the one last thing he had to do. Youngjae took one last look out at the sea, the way the waves lapped gently at the beach, before wheeling his way out of his room. Youngjae knew he’d find him on the roof, and he was thankful the elevator went that high, otherwise he wouldn’t be able to do this. Youngjae wheeled himself up behind his long time friend. Jaebum didn’t say anything, just stared out in the distance, his face thoughtful. 
“Hey..” Youngjae said, staring at the man before him. Jaebum visited him often, nearly everyday. Even after Youngjae’s own family had left him behind, he stayed, and Youngjae loved him for that. Jaebum was young, hell they both were, but the time they could spend together was nearing nothing as Youngjae’s time left dwindled. 
“Hey.” Jaebum said, finally looking down at Youngjae. 
“I….I’m happy that you’ve been here for me hyung.” Youngjae said, and Jaebum  turned around completely. 
“I’m not like your family. I’ll always be there for you. Even…even on your deathbed, I’ll be there next to you.” Jaebum looked down while he said this, and Youngjae felt his heart clench. 
“I really love you, hyung.” Youngjae said. Jaebum’s head snapped up to stare at him in bewilderment, close to disbelief. 
“What?” Jaebum muttered and Youngjae steeled himself. 
“I love you. I’ve loved you for a long time, and before I die I wanted to tell you. I wanted to tell you that since we first met I’ve wanted to tell you how beautiful you are. I wanted you to know that you’re the most important person to me. I wanted to tell you that I loved you.” Youngjae was out of breath, and at some point the had started crying. Jaebum glanced away quickly, but Youngjae could see the tears that had begun to pour down his face. 
“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?!” Jaebum said, and Youngjae felt his heart stop. Jaebum didn’t, there’s no way…
“I love you too.” Jaebum said, and Youngjae so desperately wished his legs worked so he could stand and just hug Jaebum. However, Jaebum did the next best thing and dropped to his knees, embracing Youngjae. They sat there, crying, Youngjae’s sobs even louder than Jaebum’s.  
“I love you. I love you. I love you.” Youngjae repeated this mantra into Jaebum’s hair. 
“I don’t want to die…” Youngjae said, and Jaebum just held him close, unable to say anything to reassure Youngjae.
“I love you.” He whispered, and Youngjae could only cry harder.