That Morning, The Spring Girl

That Morning, The Spring Girl

 

 

Out of everything, there is this particular thing that Shin Dong Woo likes the most: morning. He likes sunset, and in one of those days when he is not working, he’d like to ask the other members to watch the sunset with him. But sunset cannot explain the feeling of waking up - the feeling of having a brand new day, where he may get 1001 new chances and opportunities. He likes the night. He likes to watch every phase of the moon and the stars or constellation he can only see in the night. In truth, he wouldn’t mind buying a telescope that costs millions. But the night (and moon, and stars) cannot explain the feeling of anticipation: when he wonders what secrets the day holds, whom unexpected people he will encounter, what amazing things await. Therefore, he likes morning the most.

 

Shin Woo likes morning the most, because it is morning when he wakes up just to realize that he’s gifted one more day to live to its fullest: when he is faced with every possibilities he can make greater, or mistakes he can try to make better. It is morning when he understands he is not alone: when he finds all the members on their bed sleeping (and still breathing well), and he chuckles and wakes them up – and later, Gongchan starts to cry over his homework and Baro laughs at him, Sandeul rushes to the kitchen to try a new dish, Jinyoung goes to the family room to watch himself on TV. It is morning when finds new massage from his mother, telling him I love you, and he calls back and says, I love you too.

 

It is morning when a day full of obstacles is passed again, when the long, dark night full of sighs is passed again.

 

The fact is: Shin Woo is not especially a morning person for B1A4's schedule often takes the whole night or most part of the night that he usually overslept in the morning, but when he gets a chance to seize the morning, he really does.

 

So it is one fine morning when he wakes up on his bed and has his manager told him, “I’m setting no schedule for this month. You guys need some rest and some refreshing. Go have a holiday, meet your friends, and find a girlfriend – just don’t make any conflict okay?” And to his surprise, the other members are already awake, gathering in the family room looking at him.

 

He finds Gongchan cheers, “Shinwoo Hyung!” with his childish smile, his books and papers are scattered on the table - one of which is under their manager's correction. Jinyoung is sitting on the sofa, and upon seeing Shin Woo, he smirks, “This time you woke up the last, hm?” but before joining them, Sandeul has already called them for breakfast from the dining room.

 

And, just always, the morning chatter begins,

“It’s a new dish," Baro whispers, and Jinyoung looks up at him.

“I hope it tastes better than before.”

“He better not to fail us this time.”

“Well.”

“Yah, hyung, come on!” Gongchan whines.

"Heheh, okay, okay."

"Cheers for a month off!"

"For Chansik getting an A because of me!"

"For Shinwoo woke up freaking late too!"

 

All of which makes Shin Woo smile.

 

And that morning, Shin Woo decides to go back to a café he usually visits on his free day. It has been quite a long time since the last time he went there. Has it been three months, or four? Oh, maybe not so long, for Jinyoung always asks him to buy coffees for the members. He has just never stayed for a while now – never sat on the chair near the window, looking at people running to catch a bus, a couple hand in hand; he has never read a book he found interesting with a cup of Chocolate in his other hand; never seen a girl with long brown hair that seemed like a mess, in a sweater that was rather too loose for her tiny figures and shoes that never seemed to match her fashion.

 

She was – how should he say it? Interesting? Like the books he read. Like the feeling of watching others living. Like… morning.

 

Oh, yes. He goes to the café with a wishful thinking that she would somehow be there too.

 

But that morning is so amazing, because to Shin Woo's surprise, she really is there – unless now, she has cut her hair short and is not wearing a sweater that is too loose. Now, she is wearing a t-shirt and skirt just above her knee, with a pair of sneakers and a simple scarf that make Shin Woo wonder just how her rather unique style of fashion can seem so fit for her? Because now, she seems so fine; so beautiful.

 

That girl is reading a book with her head bowed. In front of her is a slice of cheesecake and a glass of chocolate, both that Shin Woo likes.  Every now and then, some part of her hair fall in front of her face, and she tucks them back easily without looking up. She seems to be so absorbed in what she is reading, while Shin Woo is too absorbed looking that he doesn’t realize how long he has been staring when suddenly, that girl looks up making their eyes meet. U-oh, caught red handed.

 

But wait, wait, how should he react? He has always been a pro in giving reactions to Bana or other idols in the TV – but for a girl he doesn’t know her name yet whom he has been wishing to meet and is right now looking at him, how?

 

But reflexes always do their job in the perfect time, don’t they?

 

He says, “Good morning,” for he doesn’t know what to do, and he wishes nothing from her as a reply.

 

Oh, he must be looking like a freak right now.

 

He must be so red right now!

 

Shin Dong Woo can’t stop thinking that maybe this morning is just not the right time – this is clearly not the day for him. Oh how he wishes she won’t stare so long!

 

 

 

Lies, oh, how he lies – he wishes she would look at him and acknowledge him, and know him, and smile at him at the slightest.

 

 

 

Oh.

 

She does.

 

And to his surprise, that morning, she answer, “Good morning to you, too.”  with a smile that is probably more beautiful than flowers he sees in spring, and eyes that glow brighter than the stars he sees at night.

 

Oh how out of everything, Shin Dong Woo likes morning the most. The feeling of waking up, the feeling of having a brand new day, where he may get 1001 new chances and opportunities. The feeling of anticipation when he wonders what secrets the day holds, whom unexpected people he will encounter, what amazing things await, and her. And her, and her.

 

That morning can't probably get any better, can it?

 

 

 

FIN.