New Year’s Eve

BIASED

“Are you guys all set for New Year’s Eve?” Appa asked us over dinner.

 

“Yep! I already invited the whole gang!” Taeyeon Unnie stated in glee. “Even Sica confirmed already!”

 

Everyone laughed at how excited Taengoo Unnie was that her friends would all be attending our annual New Year’s Eve party. Due to everyone’s busy lives after college, it was hard for them to be complete. It’s going to be a first in 3 years that they’ll be together as a whole and even my whole family’s excited since those kids have been extremely close to us as well.

 

The truth is, if there was someone jumping in joy for this whole get together, it would be my dad. He loves having our friends livening up our house so much that he decided to host the New Year’s Eve party every year! 

 

Ever since my sister and her friends started going to High School, my dad already organized everything and talked to the other parents about it. This went on until it became an actual tradition for our families to spend the New Year’s eve together at our house. 

 

“That’s great! I can already see how crazy this new year’s party would be!” He clapped happily like a kid and all of a sudden, he snapped his head at my direction startling me in result. “How about you Hyun-ah? Are the kids attending?” 

 

Seeing my shocked expression, umma slapped appa’s arm lightly and laughed. “Yeobo! You’re going to give Joohyun a heart attack!”

 

Appa was laughing along after realizing what he did. “I’m sorry baby. I was just so excited that I couldn’t hold it in.”

 

And as if nothing happened, he surprised me again with a loud, “So are they coming?!”

 

Once again, my whole body went into a shock and all I could do was nod just to end appa’s streak of torture.

 

“Wonderful!” Appa rejoiced and turned to my mom this time. “Yeobo, make sure we have tons of chicken for Sooyoung and Yeri!”

 

“All done. I’ve prepared that much since those two are always present anyways.” Umma said matter-of-factly to which everyone agreed laughingly. 

 

Luckily for my appa, umma loves cooking enough to accommodate a lot of people. Even our friends’ parents would say how perfectly matched they are and we can’t agree more.

 

I still have my hand on my chest from the shock and from my peripheral view, I can clearly see Taeyeon unnie snickering at my jumpiness.

 

“Joojoo is such a baby!” She said sticking her tongue out.

 

“At least I’m no ahjumma!” I fired back also sticking my tongue out.

 

“Oh please! Even your friends are calling you grandma!” With a raised brow she said then taking a bite of beef.

 

“Oh... Burn!” Appa joined in.

 

My dad can be such a kid at times. I can’t believe that he was actually enjoying this kind of banter between her daughters but oh well, Appa is kind of weird so instead, I turn to Umma for help.

 

“Umma! Unnie is making fun of me again!” I whined like the baby Taengoo Unnie accused me of being.

 

“TaeTae! Stop teasing your baby sister.” Umma scolded her making me smile triumphantly.

 

Taengoo Unnie scowled and exploded. “NO FAIR! You’re always siding with Joohyun!” 

 

My eyes bulged out with the unexpected outburst from my unnie. Usually, she would just glare at me and stick her tongue out and cut; that’s it. 

 

“Cause you have Appa backing you up!” Not wanting to lose, I reasoned. 

 

She laughed sarcastically. “Yeah right. That coming from little daddy’s girl.”

 

“APPA! Unnie’s being mean again!” I complained only making Taeyeon Unnie laugh harder.

 

“See. Told yah! You’re daddy’s little girl.” 

 

“Hey hey! I love you both equally my beautiful princesses!” Appa cooed at us.

 

I thought with Appa’s statement this would be over, but no. I don’t think Taeyeon Unnie is going to back down anytime soon.

 

“Okay. Since no one’s going to realize that I’m speaking of the truth and nothing but the truth, I guess it’s time to let it all out. Don’t you think so Joojoo?”

 

This time, she was looking at me. I can’t describe the look on her face but I felt chills run through my spine. She looked hellbent for revenge.

 

“Oh ! She wouldn’t!” I screamed in my head after realizing her evil plans.

 

Before I could even beg for mercy, she already started walking towards me and stood behind my chair holding onto my shoulders.

 

“Remember when I came out to you guys 5 years ago and you got so mad that I had to stay at Sooyoung’s house for a week?”

 

As a last attempt to stop her, I held her had on my shoulders and whispered, “Unnie, it’s New Year’s. Please.”

 

“Exactly! Let the fireworks begin now.” She smiled innocently as if she’s not about to blow up something big. “Well umma, appa your precious princess Joojoo is also gay.”

 

Witnessing Taengoo Unnie’s coming out episode, I’m scared for my life right now that I could only close my eyes as I wait for my parents’ rage. 

 

“Breathe.

 

1

 

2

 

3

 

4

 

5

 

Wait... Why is it quiet?”

 

After hearing nothing but silence, I cautiously looked up and got the surprise of my life to only see my parents calmly sitting there.

 

“Exhibit A Joojoo.” I heard Taengoo Unnie whisper at me. 

 

“Here’s another one. 3 years ago when I introduced Sica as my girlfriend, you guys walked out on us that Sica couldn’t even come back without fear of your rejection for a month?” She narrated again, making me squirm in my sit knowing what she’ll say next. “Well, our dear baby Joojoo has her own baby Seulbear and they’ve been together for over a year already.”

 

And instead of closing my eyes, I was intently watching the two of them waiting for any sign of movement. Once again, there was none. 

 

“Exhibit B little Joojoo. Here comes the finale. This is exciting.” 

 

Is it weird to say that I can actually hear my unnie smirking? 

 

“Appa, Umma. Can you recall the day I announced that I’ll be living with Sica whenever I’m at Seoul for work? The both of you didn’t answer a single call and message from me for weeks.” Getting hold of my left hand, she placed it on the middle of the table and the much awaited reaction came.

 

Both my parents gasped at the sight of a sparkling jewelry on my ring finger.

 

“Ohmo! Bae Joohyun!” Appa exclaimed in pure shock.

 

“You got married?!” Umma stated half in confusion and denial.

 

“Yeah. She’s not only living with Kang Seulgi but she also married her.” 

 

Taeyeon Unnie confirmed with crossed arms on her chest as if mocking my situation. I could only bow my head and bite my lip in fear of what’s to come.

 

The tension in the atmosphere was so evident that not even Taeyeon Unnie spoke. Well, that was until the most oblivious bear in the world came barging in our house the way she’s used to as a privilege of being my childhood bestfriend.

 

“Happy New Year! Who’s your favorite bear?!” She cockily announced her arrival just like she always does. 

 

I’ve never wanted to beat my own wife the way I do at the moment.

 

Getting at the dining area where the whole family was, she probably felt the odd atmosphere and asked, “Uhm... What’s wrong with this feel? It is New Year and not Halloween right?”

 

Taeyeon Unnie returned to her seat confidently and instead of answering Seulgi’s question simply said, “Oh ho ho. You’re in for a big surprise Kang. I’ll definitely enjoy watching this.”

 

“Hyun-ah, what is Taeng Unnie talking about?” The lost and confused Seulgi asked to which I answered with just raising my left hand.

 

I didn’t even have to look at her to know how her small eyes are surely about to pop out of their sockets.

 

“They know?” She asked me for confirmation and I guess my silence was enough for her because I could see her sprint toward my parents’ side and bowed deeply.

 

“Abeonim. Eomonim. I’m sorry. I’m really sorry for hiding it. I’m sorry for not getting your blessings first.”

 

I was in complete and utter shock to witness her scramble for my parents’ forgiveness like that. I’m even more surprised that she was taking all the blame.

 

“It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have let it happen without your knowledge. No matter what I should have asked for you blessing first. But I’m not sorry for marrying your daughter. She’s the best thing that’s happened in my life and I’m the luckiest that with all the other wealthier, handsomer, kinder, and wonderful people that wanted to have her heart, she chose me. I promise to make things right by taking care of her all the days of my life and making her happy in all of hers. So please forgive Joohyun.”

 

She continued to bow on the floor waiting for my parents’ words and hopefully forgiveness after her profession of affection for me. To say that I’m touched would be a complete understatement. 

 

“Kang Seulgi you... You make me fall in love with you even more.” 

 

Deciding to face my fears, I joined my wife on the floor and begged for my parents’ acceptance. 

 

“Appa. Umma. I’m sorry. Please give us your blessing. I know it’s a tad bit too late but I really love Seulgi and I just couldn’t see my future without her at my side. When we travelled to New York last June, we realized that it was the best time to finally make it official and we couldn’t wait anymore. I’m sorry for being rush but I’m not sorry for marrying the woman that I’ve loved since forever. So please, Appa, Umma. Please accept us.”

 

I bowed in complete sincerity. No one dared speak, no one but Taeyeon Unnie who was actually laughing; and very hard I must say.

 

In absolute confusion, I turned my head towards the person with the ahjumma laugh.

 

“Finally!” She exclaimed with a clap of her hands. “This was honestly way better than I expected! I didn’t know Appa and Umma were such great actors!” 

 

“Actors?!” 

 

I felt Seulgi sit up in a snap the same way I did when I realized what just happened. For the first time since everything was exposed, I was staring at my parents’ eye-to-eye and saw what it was that I missed. 

 

Damn it! I should’ve known! The glint of mischief was clear in their eyes and I could’ve known if I wasn’t just too caught up with my fears.

 

“Wait. So you guys weren’t mad this whole time?” The ever so observant Seulgi voiced out with a look for absolute puzzlement that only made my parents and Taeyeon Unnie laugh harder.

 

“Yah! Why did you do that?!” This time, I’m the one who blew up throwing a tantrum like the spoiled maknae that I was. “I was so scared for my life that I actually thought I’ll pass out! I thought I was about to get disowned already!”

 

And somehow, all of them, even my own wife were laughing their lungs out. 

 

“Baby! How can you be this cute!? No wonder Seulgi wanted to tie you with her already!” Appa gushed.

 

“Exactly my sentiment Abeonim! If I could keep her in my pocket I would!” Seulgi seconded with a high five with my own appa.

 

I looked at her in disbelief. “You’re in on it to?!” 

 

She was shaking her head like a child getting scolded. “No. Just like you I was so scared that I was about to pee.”

 

“Then why are you acting so cozy with appa already?” I interrogated.

 

“Eh?” She said with her heard tilting to the side. “Why won’t I? I’ve known your Appa since I was in diapers!” 

 

And like the goofy person that he was, he placed Seulgi in a headlock while saying, “Exactly! This girl right here is my 3rd daughter!”

 

“I agree.” Umma said.

 

“Me too.” Taengoo Unnie said raising her hand.

 

The dork was smiling brightly while still being in a headlock by appa. 

 

“See! I was already part of the family even before we got married!” 

 

However, she yelped as appa seemingly tightened the hold on her. 

 

“Yes you are! But you’re not going to get away so easily for not inviting me on my own princess’ wedding!” He scolded playfully. “She’s even my first girl to get married!”

 

Seulgi was tapping on appa’s arm to loosen up and thankfully he did. 

 

“I know. I’m terribly sorry about that. We just wanted to take the opportunity to get married since we rarely get to be at New York. We were actually planning on having a simple wedding ceremony by February next year but I guess you caught us before we even got to confess and everything.” She explained as she scratched her neck like she always does which by the way I find endearing.

 

I held her hand and pulled her next to me this time. 

 

“Yeah. We were planning on telling you after the New Year’s Eve party since this was a big deal for you guys and it took us half-a-year to get the guts to tell you because we were still saving up and wanted to tell you when things are all set.” I gave my side to them.

 

Taeyeon Unnie place her arm over my shoulder and laughed saying, “Well I’m sorry I couldn’t wait for your own plan. Those old guys over there kept pestering me about you two especially when they saw your ring.” 

 

“It wasn’t fair that your Unnie knew about it and we didn’t!” This time it was Umma’s turn to sulk which made me compelled to hug her. 

 

“Sorry Umma. I was really afraid to tell you guys too. Since you know... with what happened to Unnie before.” I confessed in all honesty. 

 

I couldn’t tell them because of my fear. I’m really a spoiled maknae and my parents has always been looking after me and I can’t even imagine them getting mad at me and ignoring me. I just couldn’t.

 

“I just didn’t want you to ignore and hate me.” I hugged her tighter.

 

“Oh princess. We’ll never get mad at you. You’re our baby Joojoo.” Umma patted my head and appa joined in on the hug.

 

It was a very sweet moment. Well

until Taeyeon Unnie decided to in again. 

 

“See! Biased! They’re so biased!”

 

She said pointing us to which we just laughed at. 

 

“Come here Taengoo Unnie. I’ll hug you instead.” Seulgi offered the pouting ahjumma which she accepted.

 

“I think you married the wrong Bae, Kang.” She smiled slyly.

 

“Yah! I’ll tell Sica Unnie!” I yelled ensuing a comic scene where Taengoo Unnie pushed Seulgi away with wide eyes.

 

“Don’t tell her! She’s going to kill me!” She said and I simply stuck my tongue out at her.

 

The New Year hasn’t even started but I’m already feeling the change. I guess it helped that I’m no longer hiding anything from my parents. 

 

It feels like this is a sign that it would really be a great New Year! I can’t wait for 2018 to start!

 

a/n: HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I’m posting in advance coz i don’t think i’ll be able to post anything once the new year’s eve family tradition starts... soooo hope y’all like it! hehehe love love everyone!!!