Laugh

The Murderer Who Laughs

2014…

A sinister grin curled its way onto his pale, wrinkle-free face as gray clouds sailed by. The weather was cold. He wasn’t cold. But everything around him was chilly, except for the fingers trapped under his new basketball shoes. He could feel the warmth of the one hanging from the rooftop. The younger was heard breathing heavily. His wet brown eyes begged the standing to help him, but the grin only widened. To a point where his mouth would rip at any moment.

“Listen carefully. I’ll only say it once,” there was a pause before he spoke again in an intimidating tone, “let go. I’ll tell them it was an accident,” the one towering over had his own hands kept warm in his black slacks. His hair was blonde as it sways in various directions—unlike his gaze, which was glued to the helpless laddie under him. “They’ll believe me. They always do,”

The one who has remained quiet long enough let a hefty breath escape him as he gasps, “S-Sungyoon! P-please h-help me. I don’t w-want to d-die yet. It will make my parents s-sad—”

The male addressed as Sungyoon straighten his back then sigh, “If you were aware of how your parents felt then you should have worked harder to at being a better punching bag,” he removes his shoe and instantly a yelp satisfied him.

“I-I will t-try, p-please! A-ah!”

Sungyoon rolled his eyes before he transitioned into a squat and offer out his hand, “Better keep your words. If it happens again I will really make you let—” before he could finish his sentence, he was interrupted by a stung when the other’s hand came up to grab his but instead slapped them. Sungyoon’s eyes widened as the boy’s cries echoed for the world to hear.

As he poked his head over the edge, he could see that the boy had already fallen to his death. His body was laying in his own pond of blood, his arms and legs twisted in abnormal ways. Sungyoon’s jaw dropped and he drooled a little. Horrified at the sight, he retreated and pinned his back against the air conditioner unit.

Realizing what he had done, Sungyoon kept silent by biting down on the back of his hand to the point where he drew his own blood. His eyes shifted back and forth, and at the moment all he could think about is him needing the help of someone. Anyone.

Anyone?

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

2017…

The world was dead outside. Nothing but a white wasteland awaited them. 

Their nation was deluged with pale, snowy white-skinned zombies.

Everyone knew that. They have seen it. Which was why no one dared to leave the three-storied building unless a rescue team was in sight.

However, no one was coming. 

And it was now up to them, the remaining seniors, to save themselves. But without food and hardly any water left, they were on the verge of giving up.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

If Sungyoon says ‘See, because of me you left first and avoided this apocalypse,’ would Bomin forgive him? Probably-or maybe not.

In the dark room, twenty students were left after a mob of zombies interrupted their last high school party. Sitting beside Sungyoon was a good friend he has made in the last two years. Lee Daeyeol. Studying the male from the side, Sungyoon cracked a smile.

After Bomin’s death and him being labeled a murderer, Daeyeol’s appearance saved Sungyoon.

Well, not necessarily. It was Sungyoon’s father and family that rescued him from jail time. However, he owed his gratitude to Daeyeol. It was because of him, Sungyoon could laugh again.

And from time to time, Sungyoon would wonder what kind of life he would have led after Bomin’s death.

If the world wasn’t so corrupted and his father wasn’t the chief of police and his grandfather vice president, Sungyoon would have been shunned and condemned.

He has been lucky to have them back him up. But only to this point he afraid. Last time he talked to his father (about nine hours ago) he got cut off by an eerie sound supported by screaming and crying. Then nothing but static. Sungyoon knew then that they were dead, too.

“Tired?” it was Daeyeol’s voice. Sungyoon rolled his head over until he locked gaze with a smiling Daeyeol. The older’s neck was designed with other students’ blood spots. It was not the first time he has seen blood on the male.

Was it during Summer? When one of the kids he used to bully in middle school came at him with a knife. And due to Daeyeol’s interference back then, Sungyoon was lucky to have gotten away with only a bloody scratch.

“A little. I just hope they won’t find us here,” Sungyoon whispered.

When Daeyeol suddenly broke the ice, he also flashed the emptiness in front of him a smug, “Is it the first time the mighty Sungyoon is hiding?”

They were in no condition to be joking around Sungyoon thought, “Honestly, no,” his voice came out gripping onto sadness and guilt that even he was taken aback by it.

“What’s wrong? Let's get some fresh air—?”

Sungyoon stopped him, “Actually, I’ve been watching,” his sudden change of tone confused and surprised Daeyeol. “I think one of the students by the door got bit earlier. His breathing isn’t and hasn’t been very stable,”

Following Sungyoon’s words, Daeyeol eye one of the boys by the door. It was Park Jaeseok. His natural milky skin was faintly gray and he looked...feverish? The problem Daeyeol was having was the fact that he was holding his girlfriend close to him and the girl appear clueless. “We have to separate them then—”

Sungyoon held Daeyeol back. “Don’t. If he turns and attacks it’s better if she gets bit first. We can’t make rash decisions—”

Daeyeol furrowed his brows, “Sungyoon. There are only a few of us left, how could you—”

Sungyoon waved the older off, “If he turns, all she can do is scream and cry anyway. Even if you put them in opposite corners of the room, she’ll still be the first one to get bit. Why? Because they’re dating,” he explained motionlessly. There and then Daeyeol could see the icy cold orbs the great bully of Seoul Sungyoon has. And before they could carry on with their private meeting, harsh tossing and turning could be heard coming from near the entrance.

The remaining students' attention span was robbed by a thrashing Jaeseok. At first, his eyes were rolled back then he began foaming at the mouth as he bangs his head repeatedly against the wall. Students around the room got to their feet and were prepared to run at all cost. “Go out!” one of the students shouted and in an uproar everybody trapped in the four walls headed for the only exit.

Up until the fourth, Jaeseok’s girlfriend was caught at the feet by Jaeseok. Then he sunk his teeth, coated with deadly bacteria, into her shin and ripped a chunk of her flesh out of her. Her scream was the starting domino piece.

As a zombified Jaeseok attacked as many students as two at the door, the rest trampled their ticket out.

Except for Sungyoon and Daeyeol.

Sungyoon watched as Daeyeol attacked Jaeseok with a chair. He drove the wooden and metal parts into the zombie’s head multiple times before tossing the broken pieces aside. “Sungyoon, let’s go!” Daeyeol said, catching his breath.

Sungyoon, who was out of it, let Daeyeol drag him up the stairs; to the same rooftop, Bomin dropped from.

Daeyeol secured the door with the lock he picked up from inside, then quickly he stacked the door with boxes and any furniture he saw. When he was done, Daeyeol twirled around to see a Sungyoon standing still with his back to him. “Couldn’t you at least help me? What’s on your mind? It’s unlike you to space out,”

A pick up of the wind reminded Sungyoon that Bomin had died on a similar day. He remembered it being cold because Bomin was shivering out of control before he forced the boy over the platform. And despite all the insults and abuses, Sungyoon inflicted on Bomin, the boy’s lips were never as blue as Sungyoon recalled that day.

Though Sungyoon was briefly quiet, he wasn’t ignoring Daeyeol, “Would you say he sent them because of me?”

“Who?”

Sungyoon hated the idea that the dead boy has been on his mind a lot recently. In fact too much for his own comfort.

And ever since the breakout, all he could wonder about was...death. Not only Bomin’s, but his own.

“Are you talking about Choi Bomin again?” This time Sungyoon spun around to face the other. Daeyeol’s voice was low and if he could see what color it was, it would either be pitch black or blood red. “Now that death is at your doorstep, are you afraid? The same pressure you put Bomin under when you made him hang onto his life. Are you feeling it now?”

Sungyoon blinked, “Daeyeol, what are you...? No. You don’t know what you’re talking about—”

The taller sneered, “I don’t? What made you so sure?” with an emotionless face, Daeyeol walked by as he bumped his shoulder into Sungyoon’s. His sudden change wasn’t only confusing, but it was scary too.

Sungyoon couldn’t help but quiver at the thought of what he was going to do. Steadily he watched as Daeyeol stop behind the bricked rail. The older pocketed his cracked hands as he looks over the unproductive zombies below them. He recognized some students. They used to be loud and obnoxious, but seeing them now, they were quiet and calm.

“You really think I was just a transferred student?” A loud bang against the door made Sungyoon flinch. But the lone sight of Daeyeol’s back was scarier compared to what was behind the door. “Have you any idea how hard it was for me to see you laugh and not choke the life out of you at the same time?”

Slowly but rapidly, Sungyoon’s mind began piecing the puzzle together as he listened on.

“When I heard that my stepbrother was skipping classes and traveling to another school just to be bully continuously, do you know how annoyed I was? My mother, his evil stepmother, wouldn’t let me transfer because it was too far from home. So night and day I cause trouble until she finally disowned me and free me to attend whichever school I desired,” Daeyeol peeked over his shoulder to make sure Sungyoon was still alive, then with a cold smug, he proceeded. “Wasn’t the rumor simply that I was just another bully? It’s the reason you came around so quickly, wasn’t it?”

Sungyoon was out of the world lost, “What is it that you’re trying to tell me?”

Before he answered, he sighed, “You were comfortable around me and I hated it. And though you felt at home, you couldn’t trust me enough to tell me even your darkest, deepest secrets. Your secrets that included Choi Bomin,” Sungyoon’s released a scoff before Daeyeol added. “The only reason I attended this school was to avenge Bomin, my stepbrother. The poor soul you so single-handedly killed,”

Sungyoon’s eyes widened and his jaw gaped, “W-what? Y-you’re his stepbrother?” His voice ran thin and his throat was dry. And for a little while, everything seemed to have frozen around him. All except the stiff grin plastered on Daeyeol’s face from ear to ear; widening with every second. A sight Sungyoon was guilty of.

Then before Sungyoon knew it, Daeyeol threw his body over the edge and with only his long, bony fingers clenching onto the foundation wall. The lad hefts a loud gasp as he ran to the side. “Lee Daeyeol!”

Daeyeol grunted, “Earlier,” he breathed, “you asked if he had forgiven you now for this outbreak right?”

No.

It was meant only for his own ears so how did Daeyeol—

“You’re not the mutterer you think you are,” the older spilled, “sometimes the things you mumble to yourself make me sick to the stomach,” he growled a little as he could feel his fingers slipping. “Finally, I can join Bomin and face him again. I’m going to brag about how I pretended to befriend a sicko like you and how recklessly you relied on me to show me your awful true colors,” this time Daeyeol let go with one hand as he glanced down.

The once lethargic gathering was now reaching up toward him. Their soulless eyes pleading for him to unhand so they could get a taste of his flesh.

The fear of being alone again kicked in and unknowingly he grabbed onto Daeyeol’s hand, “I’m sorry! I did wrong! I know I did! Don’t leave me Daeyeol! What happened to Bomin was an accident! Please!”

Daeyeol scoffed, “It’s good that as I’m leaving, I got an apology out of you,”

Sungyoon’s heart was racing. It was beating like crazy and he felt like he had to throw it up or he’ll go insane. His eyes were welled up and he clenched his teeth, shaking his head violently.

As his feet tangled in space, Daeyeol began lifting his fingers one at a time, until the only thing holding him were Sungyoon’s desperate hands. “Let go of me!”

“N-no! I’ll do better, please don’t die, Daeyeol please!”

“It’s too late! You’re barking up the wrong tree. When my brother was hanging for his life you should have held onto him! It’s him you should have begged to live! I lost everyone because of you! My mother, father, stepmother! Everyone! Just die too you freak!” Daeyeol used all of his energy to kick the side of the building in order to rip Sungyoon’s grasp off of him.

Sungyoon’s upper body was hauled over the edge a little as Daeyeol dropped to damnation. He cried as he witnessed the group below grabbing onto Daeyeol’s body as they ripped him apart aggressively. Though he was horrified, Sungyoon watched in hope that Daeyeol would come out unscratched somehow.

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

It was sundown when Sungyoon was awoken by screams down below. He had curled himself up into a ball and fell into slumber on the dirty, icy cold rooftop. The sky was darker than he remembered. Purple and gray clouds sat together as they watched him. When the screaming had finally stopped, Sungyoon sat up. It was then when he heard a crunchy sound coming from his pocket.

Reaching back, he pulled up a folded piece of paper. With a blank mind, he didn’t even wonder where it came from but had an idea. Daeyeol has slipped it into his jeans a while back when the celebration was still alive. The duo jumped from class to another until they arrived at the room hosted by Lee Jangjun. He had assigned them paper notes and asked that they write a short letter to anyone they will miss after graduation. Sungyoon had tossed his piece as he found the idea ridiculous. He had no reasons to write anything down since he was certain Daeyeol and he will be together like a pair of shoes. However, it wasn't Daeyeol but Bomin's handwriting he was looking at.

To Daeyeol the brother I miss and love,

Remember what I told you? My biological brother, who father and my mother gave away to repay their debt? Well, I found him. Choi Sungyoon is his full name. He’s the same age as you, brother. I found out that he and I attended the same elementary and now I’m attending the middle school he used to go to. It’s funny, isn’t it? It seems like he’s living well with the boys and girls here since they like him a lot and they say he’s from a nice family.

I think... I like him too. (Of course, not more than you though.) Ah, how should I put it...? His smile is...awkward but it’s sincere. His laugh is...loud and contagious. He’s good at sports. I heard he was team captain for our basketball team before graduating. He’s smart too since he ranked high among his peers.

So I’ve been thinking. Should I tell him about me? About my family? Yours? Ours? Mm, I think he’ll be happy to know he has two brothers. I mean, who wouldn’t want brothers? Right?

Come visit soon. I miss you and stepmom.

Your number one (ah sorry, considering Sungyoon too this might be wrong).

Your number two fan Bomin since Sungyoon is number one :D,

Sungyoon doesn’t know when he has been crying. But as his tears dropped and seep through the thin paper, it revealed a different color marker on the back. Sluggishly Sungyoon turned it over and immediately he broke down. “Choi Bomin!” He screamed, “Why?! You shouldn’t have, owf! Bomin! Why?! I’m sorry! Sorry, I misunderstood you…. I thought you were just one of them…. Kids who didn't know anything but kept saying I was adopted…. I thought you only approached me because you wanted something too…. I’m—” he took a deep breath, “Choi Bomin can you hear me?! I said I’m sorry!!!!”

Instantly a loud bang knocked the door over and zombies flooded the rooftop. Falling over, the countless bodies trampled over Sungyoon as he slowly let go of the letter, where the marker reads:

“In the end, I've failed Bomin too. If you escape, and I hope you do, don't dwell on our deaths too long and laugh. Your laugh isn't awkward, unlike your smile. Goodbye forever, my friend and brother Sungyoon. - Daeyeol”