Part One

Cynosure Of My Eyes

Baekhyun was not a show off.

He was just good at Charming objects and Transfiguring them into ephemeral things of beauty. He had always been a natural. The boy, covered in woollens adorning the red colours of his House, had effortlessly turned several blades of grass into winged fairies, green of hue. The delighted squeals that erupted from the First Years who had crowded around him in the Hogwarts courtyard that cold morning were music to Baekhyun's ears. His own mouth opened into a wide rectangle, his wand making the grass fairies circle the young students, who were clapping now, falling over each other to catch the winged creatures.

Baekhyun was certainly not a show off, but today, he felt reckless.

A group of students, Slytherin by their colours, were lazing around the centuries old tree that stood proud on the Transfiguration courtyard. His eyes fell on Sehun, who was staring quizzically at him, hands inside the warmth of his pockets. Green suited that boy, Baekhyun thought for the umpteenth time. He let his eyes go casually over the other Slytherins around Sehun. Girls with beautifully styled hair, shrill voices, Jongin the Slytherin Beater and a tall, tall boy. The boy was breathtakingly beautiful. He had his hands in his pockets, just like Sehun, but was looking the other way, unlike the former. His whole being screamed, nay, sang, bored - lyrically bored, if that were possible. However, he nodded politely from time to time at what the girls had to say.


What else was new? Same old, same old.


Baekhyun's smile faltered slightly. Sehun raised his eyebrows, effectively hiding them under his blonde locks, observing his fellow prefect from across the courtyard. The Griffindor in question was petite, and appeared even tinier under the thick clothes he always insisted on wearing.
Baekhyun gave him a small wave and turned away.


"Oi, Baekhyun" a shrill, high pitched voice called out to him. Jongdae. His best friend of six years Jongdae. The boon and sometimes bane of his existence Jongdae.
Baekhyun let out a low whistle and gestured to the First Years to scoot. The grass fairies happily circling him fell lifelessly on the ground at the gentle twirl of his wand. He stood and observed as his best friend grabbed a fistful of Sehun's robes and tugged him excitedly towards where Baekhyun stood. Jongin and the Slytherin girls looked on curiously as Sehun was pulled away from their midst. Park Chanyeol, gave a quick glance before turning away, least bothered.


"Jungmyeon has called a meeting of all the Prefects. He asked me to tell you, but I found blondie too along the way." Jongdae said in his usual cheerful manner, gesturing towards Sehun. Inspite of himself, Baekhyun laughed. Sehun was frowning. The Slytherin was not much of a talker; he let his beautifully shaped brows do most of the talking for him.


"Get your slimy hands off me." was all he drawled at Jongdae, earning himself a shove.


"Why does your brother want to see us?" Baekhyun asked, curious.


"Didn't ask."Jongdae shrugged, as though he found his brother's business distasteful. He was the one who had laughed wild tears of joy, when Junmyeon was made the Head Boy, thinking of ways to make his elder brother's final year at Hogwarts miserable.
"And were you showing tricks to the kids again? When will you start charging money for your impromptu shows? If it were me, I would have filled my Gringotts bank account with the pocket money of these young witches and wizards."


"You're a fool." Sehun stated.


Jongdae turned to look at Sehun sourly, "Hey, we are not the ones with a Lord something for a father."


It was true what Jongdae said, Baekhyun thought, now walking towards the Hall with the Slytherin prefect. Sehun came from old money. His father owned huge swathes of land. In time, Sehun would, no doubt, be known as Lord Oh Sehun. The boy hardly ever cared for studies, and it was anybody's guess why he was made a Prefect at all. It was one of the reasons why Sehun and he were friends today. The generally reserved Slytherin had found it out of place among Junmyeon, and the other prefects, particularly Ravenclaw's Kyungsoo. He felt judged, at not being good in studies, and for being a Slytherin. Baekhyun had eased him into his new duties then, with his friendly smile and warm voice. Sehun had immediately latched on to Baekhyun like a lifeline, always acting like the younger of the two. It took some time to reconcile Sehun with Jongdae however, what with both having jinxed the other in the past, on multiple occasions.


“That was quite a show back there.” Sehun said in a low voice, “Was it for Chanyeol’s benefit?”


Baekhyun shook his head vehemently, his lower lip in. Sehun rolled his eyes; Baekhyun could not lie to save his own life. But the Slytherin did not press the matter any further, sensing Baekhyun’s reticence.


Head Boy Kim Junmyeon, Head Girl Park Sandara and the other prefects were already gathered by the time Baekhyun and Sehun reached.
"You're here." Kyungsoo stated, his eyes glaring at Sehun. It only made Sehun edge closer to Baekhyun.
"Why are we here?" sixth year Hufflepuff Yixing asked, which lead to the dramatic clearing of throat by Junmyeon. Baekhyun caught Sehun rolling his eyes and struggled to hide his smile.


"Friends, we have very sad news to announce."
Junmyeon paused for effect. Ugh, the drama queen, Baekhyun thought.


"A major fire burnt down half of The Three Broomsticks last night."
There was a collective gasp.


"For real?" Sehun asked incredulously, his hands coming out of his pockets.
"I think so. Or else the Headmaster would not have called me and Sandara and rest of the Professors to his office to discuss what help can be lent to Madam Rosmerta in this hour of need."


"I cannot imagine Hogsmeade without The Three Broomsticks." Yixing said, disbelief in his voice.
"And that is why, we have decided to organise a charity event ahead of Christmas holidays to collect donation from students. Sandara and I have already discussed the details with the Headmaster and Heads of all the Houses. The Headmaster will make a formal announcement in this regard over breakfast tomorrow."
Baekhyun listened to Junmyeon go on and on about the plans for the two day event, which he had tentatively titled Hogwarts Helping Hands. He was speaking about musicals, plays, a charity bazaar, a duelling competition, a kissing booth, going on and on. He certainly seemed to have thought this through.


"Baekhyun," Jungmyeon suddenly turned to him now. The boy jumped.
"You will have to perform on stage. No excuses."


He fidgeted.
"Me?"
"Yes, you. Don't think Jongdae haven't told me you sing well."


Baekhyun inwardly cursed himself for taking Jongdae to karaoke bars whenever his best friend came to visit him in 'Muggle Town".
"Why me? Can't anyone else do this?"


"Don't you want to help Madam Rosmerta?" It was Head Girl Sandara who asked the pointed question. Baekhyun had always hated the Slytherin girl. He kept quiet.
Junmyeon pinched the bridge of his nose, "There is not much time left for the Christmas holidays. We cannot dilly dally. When I say Baekhyun has to perform, he has to perform. Well, and Baekhyun. You are also in charge of decorations."


Sehun scoffed beside him. The whole school knew how the perfect little Griffindor prefect went around transforming the school around Christmas, over and above the beautiful touches the teachers lent. Baekhyun would enchant the trees, the pillars, the flowers and the air to make sure that everybody felt the Christmas cheer.


Junmyeon turned to Sehun next, "And you will supervise the Kissing booths. In fact, you will be in one of them."
Sehun glared daggers at the Head Boy. Baekhyun observed Sandara hiding a smirk.


"I would rather die than kiss a whole bee line of over excited girls who pay to kiss." the Slytherin said passionately.
"But girls will only line up to kiss you, little Sehun." Sandara said in a voice which sounded sickly sweet to Baekhyun's ears.
"That's quite alright." Sehun cut her off, "I know of two others in this school who make girls fawn over them." Sehun's tone was full of hidden malice. Baekhyun saw Sandara's indulgent smile fall away in an instant.


"I will ask Chanyeol and Jongin to man the kissing booths." Sehun declared, positive that his two closest friends will help keep his word.


"Are you sure?" Sandara barked, struggling to keep her composure now. Baekhyun would have gloated inwardly, if not for the fact that the mention of Park Chanyeol had unsettled him.


Park Chanyeol, the tall guy from the Transfiguration courtyard earlier.


Park Chanyeol. Who caught his fancy in the very first year of school.


Park Chanyeol. Who did not laugh along with the other Slytherins when Baekhyun fell from his broom during their first Flying Class.


Park Chanyeol. Who borrowed a quill from him during Potions class in their Second Year.


Park Chanyeol. The Slytherin team Captain.


Park Chanyeol. Who excelled in Quidditch.


Park Chanyeol, who got two Ts - Trolls - in Ordinary Wizading Levels - but who could not care less as he had already been scouted for Puddlemere United.


Park Chanyeol. Playboy.


Park Chanyeol. Heartbreaker.


Park Chanyeol. Who never spared him a glance.


Park Chanyeol. Who Baekhyun saw but who didn't see Baekhyun.


Kyungsoo was made in charge of the Donations Committee, and Yixing found himself in charge of Invitations. It was turning out to be quite a big affair. The whole of Hogsmeade village would turn up at the Ball on Day Two. Baekhyun was scheduled to perform his song on the same day, in front of that audience.
He was tuned out for the rest of the meeting, his thoughts meandering off to the Slytherin Quidditch captain. Of course girls would line up to kiss him and Kim Jongin. Baekhyun had never interacted with the tan Sytherin Beater, but he was a distant cousin of Jongdae and Junmyeon. He was a quiet sort. There had been rumours last year that Kyungsoo and Jongin were dating, which died a quick death once the Ravenclaw prefect made it a mission to dock points off of those spreading the rumours.

"Does it bother you that I proposed Chanyeol's name for the Kissing Booth?" Sehun asked him once the meeting was over, and they were heading towards the Great Hall for lunch.


Baekhyun bit his lip, but answered in a cheerful tone, "Of course not. It’s all for a great cause. “Not that he is mine. Not that he would ever kiss me.


Jongdae and Sehun both knew, perhaps the only persons to, of his enduring crush on Chanyeol. Jongdae because he had tricked Baekhyun into drinking Veritaserum and spilling out the truth during their Fourth Year. Veritaserum in this case, had been three gobletfuls of smuggled Firewhisky. Yes, Baekhyun was a lightweight. In his defence, he was only fourteen back then.


And Sehun knew because he and Park Chanyeol were best friends, and Sehun was not stupid. He could see how Baekhyun's naturally easy going manner changed around Chanyeol, not that Chanyeol seemed to notice anyway. His best friend could be thick sometimes. Moreover, Baekhyun was really discreet with his admiration. Always subdued, Baekhyun would not even look at Chanyeol properly, bowing his head politely whenever they crossed paths.


"I will make it up to you." the blonde haired boy said with a hint of a smile.


Baekhyun laughed openly then, "How? Do you know of someone who can play the guitar to help me save face during the Charity event?"
The Slytherin Prefect stopped short in his tracks, mouth forming a small O.


"You don’t say."


Baekhyun felt uneasy as soon as he saw the manic gleam in Sehun's eyes.


"Ha ha ha." The Slytherin gave him his most conspiratorial look.
"What?" The shorter of the two asked, nervous due to no reason.
“I do know someone who can play the guitar. Quite well, too."
"You do? Who?"


Sehun did not come across as a person who would be remotely acquainted with someone who was musically inclined. Both his best friends were in the Slytherin Quidditch team.
"All in good time."Sehun merely patted his head.

 

*

 

Christmas was still some way off but the way Junmyeon went about, one would feel that Christmas was coming four weeks early this year. He had gone ballistic over preparations for the charity event, calling a meeting of Prefects every day. Jongdae resented the evening meetings, as it was the time for Baekhyun and him to loiter around Hogwarts grounds.

It was understandable that Jongdae resented his elder brother for this.


"Junmyeon has no chill." he whispered to Baekhyun during Potions class one day.
Baekhyun nodded, concentrating on crushing ingredients for the Draught of The Living Dead. He was not a dext hand at Potions. He was never too good at cooking, and Potions, to him, felt like preparing a meal on top of a stove. Jongdae would of course scoff if he voiced this aloud. Baekhyun received an Outstanding in Potions in his O.W.L.S after all. He had been mortified when his O.W.L. results came and he received Outstanding in all of his subjects.


Back then, he suddenly found himself catapulted to momentary fame, where all his class mates whispered his name behind his back. Oh, he received the stink eye too, from students who thought he was too much of a nerd, too prim, and too proper. He was hated for a while.


Bullying Baekhyun or jinxing him around school corridors were out of question though. They knew that the Griffindor prefect was too quick witted and sure footed. And he was exceptional with his wand. Plus, he had Jongdae by his side, who was a master at hexes and jinxes, having performed most of them in his First Year itself. Jongdae was very protective of Baekhyun. They became fast friends even with Jongdae spending most of his time in detention and Baekhyun spending most of his in the Library.
The one thing they had in common, binding each to the other, was their sense of rushing in where angels feared to tread - acting without thinking first.


"Why is it not turning lilac in colour?" Jongdae panicked, stirring the potion anti clockwise, as had been instructed.
"Beats me" Baekhyun shrugged.


He definitely was not good at Potions. He could never concentrate in class. Perhaps, it had something to do with the fact that they shared Potions with Slytherins. Which meant Park Chanyeol and his coterie of giggling girls. Which resulted in extreme distraction for Baekhyun. Presently his object of affection was adding Sopophorous bean's juice in his cauldron, his sleeves folded and white elbows showing. Baekhyun sighed as he watched Lily May Mac, Chanyeol's Potions partner, lean into Chanyeol more than was necessary to examine the potion.


Jongdae looked up from his stirring.
"Don't be so obvious. You are biting your lip."


Baekhyun chuckled, neatly arranging the rest of the ingredients scattered around the table. Not that Chanyeol woud ever notice. He hardly interacted with students other than Slytherins. One would not call him arrogant. He was plain indifferent, which suited Baekhyun's purpose very well. He was free to moon over the athletic boy, and appraise his handsome looks.


Park Chanyeol was blessed with good height, and chiselled features.


At times, just sitting idle in class, or lying on the bed, Baekhyun imagined Chanyeol without his clothes on. And the resulting image would make Baekhyun blush, and ache hard.
Park Chanyeol had literally no idea he had been crushing on him since forever.


Park Chanyeol must surely have an idea about Lily May Mac's feelings though, the way she was giggling at what he just said, and tossing her hair, making a downright fool of herself.


"I can never be friends with an ex." Baekhyun breathed.
"It seems Lily May Mac is still trying to get back with Chanyeol. But not to worry, " Jongdae gave a grin, "Chanyeol is over her for good. Sehun told me so."
"I hate Lily May Mac."
"Like you hate Sandara Park?"
Baekhyun pursed his lips.


Jongdae pinched his cheeks then, eliciting a small giggle from Baekhyun. Chanyeol chose that exact moment to look their way and their eyes met for the briefest second across the room. Baekhyun quickly looked away, shy. He was not aware that the Slytherin's gaze lingered on him for a while.


Sehun came up to Baekhyun when class was dismissed, not at all looking worse for wear like the rest of the class. (“Jongin did all the hard work.")
"Are you free for practice this evening? You are? Good. Meet my friend around seven-ish at the Clock Tower Courtyard on the Third Floor."
"Friend? Who?"


Sehun rolled his eyes, at the same time acknowledging Jongin who was gesturing for Sehun to come out of the classroom.
"Duh. The guitarist you had requested, who else? This Slytherin genie is granting your wish. Be thankful, eh?"


That’s right, thought Baekhyun. He still had to select a song to perform. And, it seems, Sehun had miraculously found someone to accompany him on the guitar.
"Err - Who is this friend person?"


Sehun patted him before walking away, "You will know him right away. He shall be carrying a guitar."
The fact that Sehun was not forthcoming with the details bothered Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun took the stairs to the third floor, all the while poring over his song choice. He was going to perform two songs - one with guitar as accompaniment and the other on the piano. Yes, he could play the piano. His Muggle parents had enlisted him in piano lessons when he was just a toddler. One could say he toddled through his piano lessons, not great at the very beginning but better and better as the years flew by. Then Hogwarts happened and he abandoned all his musical classes, too mesmerised with the magical world and its many offerings.


The Clock Tower courtyard was generally empty at this time of the evening. Students could usually be found in the comforts of the Common Rooms, or the library. The gushing of the fountain in the middle of the Courtyard was the only sound. Baekhyun pulled out his wand and gave it an elaborate swirl, whispering the magical words. The colour of the water turned into a silvery fluorescent, lending its glow to the whole courtyard. The dazzling light emanating from the fountain made the courtyard sparkle and dance.
Baekhyun chuckled at his own handiwork. Magic always works better when I am in a good mood, he thought to himself, pocketing the wand. A movement towards his left caught his eye. He turned, only to suffer a minor heart attack.


What the - who in God's name is that?


It wasn't dark at all. Baekhyun could see. Could see him. How was it possible?


There, standing right in front of him, with a guitar case in tow, was the Slytherin Keeper, all six feet one inches, looking at the fountain and then, at him. Baekhyun felt like a deer caught in the headlights under that gaze. He had zero control then, over the range of emotions that flit through his face in quick succession, because for a few seconds there, he was truly dumbfounded. He wondered if he should say something. Shouldn't he say something instead of just staring agape? He gave the other a tentative smile.


"Park Chanyeol?" Baekhyun's palms were sweating.


Chanyeol was staring too, but his expression gave nothing away. Baekhyun was suddenly aware of his unkempt hair, and messy attire.


Park Chanyeol took resolute steps towards him, palm outstretched for a handshake.
"Byun Baekhyun, don't mind my sweaty hands. I rushed straight from Quidditch practice."


Baekhyun shook Chanyeol's hands, feeling his stomach turn upside down. Chanyeol was not smiling, but his tone was warm enough. This was the closest he had ever been to the Slytherin. Baekhyun fully appreciated, in that moment, just how tall the other boy was. And how imposing his general aura was.
He was also painfully aware of his own shabby appearance. His straight black hair had not seen a hairdresser in months, and more often than not covered his eyes, blocking his view. His clothes were also - meh. Too dull. He cursed Sehun vehemently for not giving him a heads up. At least he would have fixed his eyes. Put eyeliner on. His eyes always looked sleepy and droopy without makeup.


"Shall we sit over there?" The Slytherin pointed towards the steps at one corner of the courtyard.
Baekhyun nodded and followed.


"So what song do you have in mind?” the Slytherin asked when they settled, straightaway getting down to business.


"Something Stupid."


"Hmm?"


Baekhyun cleared his throat.
"It’s called Something Stupid."


"Sing it for me." Chanyeol simply said, his eyes never leaving Baekhyun's, his stare steady, as if they had known each other all their lives and this was not their very first one to one encounter at all.


Baekhyun found himself nodding at the beautiful pair of eyes, and clearing his throat again.
He paused for a moment before beginning.


"I know I stand in line
Until You think you have the time
To spend an evening with me
And if we go someplace to dance
I know that there's a chance
You won't be leaving with me"

Baekhyun paused, looking at Chanyeol for his reaction.
"Go on." the Slytherin prodded.

"Then afterwards, we drop into a quiet place
And have a drink or two.
And then I go and spoil it all
By saying something stupid like 
I love you."

It was a fitting song for the occasion, perhaps, with the Courtyard bathed in silver. And the man of his dreams sitting beside him, listening in rapt attention. Chanyeol didn't seem like Chanyeol the Slytherin Seeker then. He felt real, more accessible. It felt surreal. They could be the only two persons in the world now. Music is the strongest magic in the world - his mother had told him once. Perhaps his song had cast its own spell.


Baekhyun finished the song, and the spell broke. The other boy's eyes on him were soft. Baekhyun blinked. Chanyeol would not look away. It flustered Baekhyun. He cleared his throat.


"What do you think?"
"I think it is nice." the other said, a gentle smile ghosting over his lips.
Baekhyun beamed. "Shall we try it together, then?"
Chanyeol nodded.


The Griffindor Prefect was definitely on autopilot mode. It was funny how he could not remember what transpired after that, but his stomach still felt like melted goo. The cause had been forgotten, but the effects remained.


They had quietly gone over the song, the chords, and the lyrics. Chanyeol was not half bad at playing the instrument. The only details Baekhyun could recall were the shape of Chanyeol's lips when he played his guitar with his head bowed, tugging Baekhyun's heartstrings too in the process.
They did not talk about anything other than their duet. They did not act like they were conversing for probably the first time in their six years in Hogwarts. It felt bittersweet, somehow.

 

"What did you have to do to pursuade Park Chanyeol to perform with me?" Baekhyun cornered Sehun after breakfast the next day.


Sehun thought for a millisecond, "Oddly enough, I did not even have to convince him that much. I think he likes playing the guitar." he concluded.


Jongdae was apprehensive though. "That fool Sehun." he muttered during their Transfiguration class. "I hope this doesn't end up in a mess for your sake."


It was what Baekhyun had been praying all along. Admiring someone from a distance was easier, but being in their presence, and acting nonchalant made unrequited love that much more harder. Chanyeol would never return his affections, of that he was certain. How did the saying go? He never left my mind, I never crossed his.


Conversation with Chanyeol was not easy in the initial two three days. For one, Baekhyun was extremely shy around his crush, and secondly because the girls had come to know that they were rehearsing for the charity event. Chanyeol's fan club swarmed around them, cackling, giggling, and being a general pain. Chanyeol would not ask them to leave and Baekhyun had too much pride to shoo the annoying girls away. Chanyeol seemed not to mind the adulation, or the candies, teddies and letters they would leave behind for him. He collected them tenderly afterwards, adding to Baekhyun's growing discomfort.


The discomfort became barely contained rage on the fourth day when Head Girl Sandara would simply not stop chatting up with Chanyeol during their practice session. Baekhyun just clutched his papers tightly and sat like a stone gargoyle, staring at the fountain in the courtyard. Chanyeol had certainly lost track of time in the presence of Sandara, time that was valuable for the Griffindor prefect. The light banter going on between the two made him feel small, invisible, and just a little sad.
A lot sad.


Chanyeol must surely admire the Head Girl. All the boys did. What a pair they would make - Park Chanyeol and Park Sandara. He was tall and charming, she was slender and poised unlike the midget Baekhyun was. Would Chanyeol even perform with him if he were to know that Baekhyun was gay? Gay for him?


His thoughts bordered on the depressing. Would Jongdae understand if he shared his thoughts with him over dinner that night? Could he fathom what it felt like, to see the object of one’s affection completely oblivious to your presence? It was sad reading about unrequited love in novels, but sadder still when it was happening to him.
He was angry also at himself. It had been, what, three days of rehearsals, and he had already begun to think of Chanyeol's time as his.


Dark thoughts circled his mind. He was now no longer waiting for Sandara to leave. He knew she would not.
Perhaps Chanyeol fancied her after all. It was hard to tell, the handsome boy was sweet to all his admirers.
A soft touch on his arm brought him back to the present.


"Shall we begin?" Chanyeol asked in a polite tone.
Ugh. Why did he always have to be so polite? Why could they not converse informally, like friends did?


Baekhyun pursed his lips and smoothened the papers he had been clutching to death. But he found that he could not sing. Not like this. Not after being made to wait while Chanyeol was done flirting with Sandara Park. Abruptly, he stood up, not even looking Chanyeol's way.


"I just remembered I have something urgent to attend to."


How could his voice still come out so even when a murky storm was threatening his innards? He looked at the puzzled Chanyeol for a brief second before muttering his apologies and stalking off towards the library. To cower. Coward.


Chanyeol got up from his seat as well, and a long arm made to grab Baekhyun's robes but the shorter boy was too fast in making his dramatic exit.
"Byun Baekhyun, wait." the other called out.


The prefect turned to him then, shrugging, "I just - homework stuff." And fled. Sandara Park and the other girls were looking at both of them, curiously taking in the scene. Chanyeol, for all his trademark nonchalance, looked flustered for once.


Baekhyun sat in the library but could only stare at the book. His brain refused to function.
He knew he was being unreasonable and impulsive. But he could not help it either. So he let his foul mood be, and only came downstairs to dine when his anger had abated.

 


Baekhyun was positive that Chanyeol would not turn up at rehearsal the next day. After all, he had bolted from practice without any rational explanation. But the tall boy was waiting for him at the courtyard, with a neutral face. Heavens! It was hard to tell what Park Chanyeol was thinking.
Chanyeol spoke first.


"Let’s do this at the disused classroom on the Fourth Floor from now on."


Chanyeol did not give Baekhyun any time to answer. He grabbed hold of Baekhyun's wrist and led him towards the staircase purposefully.
The Slytherin Keeper had his back Baekhyun and thus, did not see the very surprised look on the latter's face.


"I have already made the arrangements." Chanyeol announced, once they were inside the disused room. Only then did he let go of his firm hold on the Prefect.
Several desks and chairs were piled up against the wall. Baekhyun saw two chairs and a desk right at the middle of the room.


"No one will disturb us here." Chanyeol said, locking the door.
Baekhyun felt his cheeks warm up then. Chanyeol knew. The handsome boy knew what triggered him the other day.


"Thank you." he simply said.


The ice finally broke. With no one around, Chanyeol and Baekhyun found themselves conversing in an easy manner. Baekhyun learnt that Chanyeol's only passion was Quidditch, and that his parents owned VroomBroom, a sports company dedicated for export and import of Quidditch broomsticks and sports gear. He also learnt that Chanyeol had started training at an early age under a highly qualified, highly paid Coach.


They laughed when Baekhyun's voice cracked, or Chanyeol messed up his guitar chords. Baekhyun had enchanted the ceiling to resemble the night sky and the Slytherin Keeper had arranged for some rugs and a make shift fireplace. All in all, they made the room cosy enough for their practice sessions.
Chanyeol was a star Quidditch player and trained almost all days. Yet, the Keeper made time every evening for their practice sessions. He had plenty of questions for Baekhyun - about his childhood, his hobbies, and his musical inclination.


For a guy who had not bothered about Baekhyun until then, Chanyeol suddenly seemed to want to know all about him.
Even so, they hardly talked outside of their sessions, which was fine with Baekhyun. He maintained his distance, afraid to get closer to Chanyeol than was absolutely necessary. There was also the small matter of Chanyeol being surrounded by girls all the time. Chanyeol was, by his own admission to Baekhyun, a little bit of a heart breaker.
"I can never turn girls down. They all come up to me, each pretty, with their sweet requests and polite invitations for a walk or a date. I can't be a cad to them. And I am too young. I am greedy. I want to have it all."


So much drama. Baekhyun sighed.


Regardless, Baekhyun would look at Chanyeol with pride, when he was sure no one was watching.

**


The days were getting progressively colder, and out came Baekhyun's numerous gloves, beanies and mufflers. He was a sight to behold, going about his Prefect duties, or running after Jongdae - a tiny figure completely covered in his black robes, but dotted with bright red - red beanie, red gloves and a red muffler wrapped around his neck, its volume making Baekhyun's head look smaller than it was.


Attired thus, the totally unawares Griffindor walked inside the Potions dungeon one fine day to find that the whole class had been waiting for him. The entire class comprising Sixth Year Griffindors and Slytherins. And an owl. The owl stood patiently on the Potion Master's desk, with a letter addressed to him. Jongdae, who had entered the classroom right alongside him, patted his back jovially and pushed past him to take his seat. Baekhyun unfolded the parchment with some difficulty with his gloved hands. He could hear muffled sniggers coming from the back of the dungeon.


He read the message from the Potions Master and quietly laid the parchment down, following which the owl took off. He cleared his throat.
"Urm - class." he hesitated, "Professor said he will not be able to make it today. He did not state the reason why. But he has asked me to speak to you all about Golpalott's Third Law in his absence."


The Griffindors groaned and the Slytherins jeered. Baekhyun did not look at Chanyeol, sitting in the third row and staring intently at him, to gauge his reaction. Of course the Professor knew he had already learnt all there was to learn about Golpalott's Third Law, he was that kind of a student, lurking in the library and gathering knowledge.
Baekhyun waited for the class to settle down; unaware that Prefect Sehun at the back had glared at all his fellow Slytherins to maintain decorum in class.


"So," began Baekhyun, rubbing his nose, giving a lopsided smile, "Golpalott's Third Law deals with antidotes. It is a law for antidotes. Simply put, the antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components."


"Go away." Jongdae teased good naturedly, at the same time opening his book to jot the notes down. The rest of the class did the same as Baekhyun explained, in depth, about creating antidotes according to the Third Law. He gave the example of antidote to the infamous Love Potion, which elicited giggles and hoots from the class. All in all, Baekhyun found that it was fairly easy to explain the Law theoretically. Inwardly he breathed a sigh of relief. He tried to not look at Chanyeol, but it was easier said than done. The Slytherin was sitting very straight, rapt in attention, head slightly tilted.


He did not expect the light tap on his shoulder at the end of the period.


"That was very enlightening."


It was Park Chanyeol, standing a head taller than him, amusement in his eyes, looking like Adonis himself with his comma hair.
Baekhyun let out a raspy laugh, "I am glad you found it so." He looked at the other boy searchingly. It was the first time Chanyeol had approached him in class. Baekhyun's insides felt warm, and not because of all the woolens he was wearing.


Chanyeol lightly booped Baekhyun's nose before turning away, saying, "You should have been our Little Potions Master. I would have paid attention in class then."
Chanyeol exited the dungeon with Sehun and Jongin. Jongdae walked up to him, "What's with the nose booping? Does he find you cute or what?" Jongdae's words were laced with something akin to possessiveness.


Baekhyun just shrugged, and followed the other boy out of the classroom.

"Do you only have red beanies?" Chanyeol asked that evening, guitar balanced in his lap. Baekhyun pried his beanie away, shaking his hair for good measure. His hair had grown quite long, and in this weather, Baekhyun did not mind.


"My mother, well, she is a Muggle. Upon learning that my House colour at Hogwarts is red, she brought basketfuls of red wool home. I wear whatever she knits."
"She sounds like a very indulgent mother. Did she knit these gloves as well?"


"Yes" Baekhyun simply said, making a V sign with his fingers.


"I'd rather you didn't wear gloves." Chanyeol declared suddenly, "Your fingers are too pretty to be hidden."


Baekhyun sat up straight. "Huh?"


Chanyeol shrugged, tuning his guitar. "Begin from the top?"

 

*

It was a sunny day, although there was not much heat really. Jongdae and Baekhyun were lying flat on the grass beside the Lake, their heavy black robes cast away in the grass for now. Jongdae was going on and on about asking his latest crush, Joy, out on a date for the upcoming visit to Hogsmeade village.


Baekhyun was pulling the grass absent mindedly, his stomach heavy with the lunch he had half an hour ago, his thoughts scattered. They were hiding from Junmyeon. The Head Boy had cornered them during breakfast to say he had some errands for the both of them. None of them wanted to do the Head Boy's bidding, which was boring and usually involved walking a great distance. Only day before yesterday, Junmyeon had made them write invitation letters to all the residents of Hogsmeade, politely inviting them for the Hogwarts Helping Hands ball. Luhan and Xiumin, Chasers of the Griffindor Quidditch team, were unlucky enough to choose that moment to come up to Junmyeon regarding permission to use the grounds for Quidditch practice. They too were forced to sit beside Jongdae and Baekhyun and help out with the invitations. In their defence, they did not grumble much, at least not as much as Jongdae. Nothing could be said in Junmyeon's defence though, not after he made the four of them walk to the Owlery to post the letters.
A Howler did arrive for the Head Boy yesterday, accusing him of being a task master, but as it was not sent by either Jongdae or Baekhyun, one could safely say that Luhan and Xiumin were the culprits. Junmyeon was seething and glared accusingly at his younger brother, which made Jongdae whine, his pitch as high as the Howler, that he could do better than a Howler. That did not stop Junmyeon from docking fifty points off his own brother.


The two friends deliberated for a while and decided that avoiding Junmyeon would be the best course of action. They were done fagging for the Head Boy. Also, lazing by the lake had its own charm.


"Erm Baekhyun," Jongdae poked him with his toe, his voice urgent, "You won't be too chuffed about this."


Baekhyun stilled. Did Junmyeon discover them already? Were they doomed to be errand boys for the Head Boy now? But when he turned to look at the direction Jongdae was pointing, Baekhyun wished Junmyeon had found them instead. Approaching from a distance were Park Chanyeol and a Hufflepuff girl. They were holding hands, smiling in conversation. They seemed to be just idly strolling, until of course, Chanyeol spotted Baekhyun. The tall Slytherin whispered something in the girls ears, and she noddded.

Then, to Baekhyun's horror, they started walking up to where Baekhyun and Jongdae were sprawled
Feeling very heavy indeed, Baekhyun stood up and dusted his clothes. Then he waited.


Chanyeol was smiling at Baekhyun, his hands holding the pretty pink palms of the girl. The Griffindor recognised the girl as they neared. She was a Fourth Year; he did not know her name. Her cheeks were rosy from being under the sun for too long. They had to be walking for quite some time now, as the girl did look a little tired. She was petite and cute in an obvious sort of way. Plump in her cheeks. Baekhyun's own appearance was messy as usual. His robes had grass sticking out, and his fingers were brown with dirt from pulling grass for the past hour or so.


Chanyeol looked very pleased to have come across Baekhyun, and he learnt why right the next moment.
"I promised to take Lola to our Quidditch practice this evening. She is joining me for dinner afterwards." Chanyeol's voice held the warmth of the Sun, “Is it okay if we take a rain check today?"


Baekhyun faked a cheery smile. “By all means. I mean - we are almost done with the song, right? I guess it will only take a couple more days of your time."
Baekhyun's tone was cheerful and yet Chanyeol stared at him curiously. The Griffindor's eyes lingered on their interlocked hands, and he noticed that Lola's hands were very pretty, just like his.


"Oh, okay" Chanyeol said finally, "So I guess, see you around?"


Chanyeol guided his date around towards the direction from where they had come, walking away.


Jongdae scoffed once the Slytherin Keeper was out of earshot, arm in arm with his 'afternoon date'. "She looked just like you. What is he playing at?"


When Baekhyun asked Jongdae to elaborate, the slim boy merely gazed at the placid lake.


The Prefect slumped on the grass.


Jongdae glowered for a while, and then decided to take pity on his closest friend. "Relax, will you? She will be gone in no time. Chanyeol doesn't do third dates, or haven't you heard about this urban myth?"


"She'll be gone, and then what? I will never be in her place. He will never interlock his fingers with mine."


"Listen to you, so pathetic." Jongdae stood up "You won't confess your feelings. You don't even want to see him with someone else. Man, I had better go and ask Joy out this instant. Better be turned down than keep sighing like you."

 


"I do not get these songs of love and want. I have never fallen for anyone at first sight, Byun Baekhyun." Chanyeol said during their next practice session, commenting on the lyrics of Something Stupid.


Baekhyun did not know what to answer to that, so he chose to remain quiet.


"Have you?" Chanyeol prodded.


Baekhyun tried to turn his grimace into a smile. "I think it is not impossible to fall for someone in the first meeting itself."


Chanyeol chuckled softly, "Byun Baekhyun, you are soft."


Baekhyun held his tongue for some time.
"You won't understand of course. You are the ultimate playboy of this school. One girl after the other in quick succession. You don't care.” Baekhyun stopped himself. He did not mean to sound bitter at all. Heck, he did not even mean to say anything.
The room suddenly felt cold.


"Baekhyun, look at me."


Baekhyun raised his eyes, biting his lower lip involuntarily. The eyes on him were hard as nails.
"What do you see when you look at me?" the Slytherin asked.


Baekhyun fidgeted. He felt like he was being baited all of a sudden. "How do you mean?"
Chanyeol made an impatient noise, "I mean, do you only see a playboy when you look at me? All these days we have been practicing together, is that the only impression you have of me?"


Chanyeol's expression was making the Griffindor nervous, it was a foreign one, and hard to place.
He shook his head vehemently, before finally nodding under the Slytherin's unrelenting stare.
Chanyeol sighed and ran his fingers along his dark hair. The perfect Comma hair was now sticking up from all sides.


"Well - erm - you cannot deny that you aren't one." Baekhyun found himself blurting. Perhaps this had something to do with his repressed feelings.
Chanyeol was frowning openly now. "I see." he said, grumpily. He began packing the guitar in the case. "You know what is funny? I am one of the youngest Quidditch players to be scouted for Puddlemere United. I am the best Keeper there is. But no - these are not things people think of when they look at me. How nicely they relegate me into a skirt chaser. You too."


Baekhyun let out a whine. He did not get why Chanyeol was suddenly so hostile when all he had stated was the truth. What had he done to provoke the Slytherin into picking his guitar and leaving?


"Girls ask me out. I don't turn them down." Chanyeol continued, " It’s called being sensitive to others feelings. Get it inside your thick skull, Byun Baekhyun."


"And what about the part when you leave one girl for the other? Is that too called 'being sensitive'? What about when Lily May Mac cried her eyes out during Fifth Year at Potions class because you dumped her for Sandara Park?" Damn, he sounded y.


"What? Who? Jeez, I knew crazy rumors spread, but I did not know the perfect prefect who got straight Os in O.W.L.S. would pay any heed to them. Look at me Byun Baekhyun, and listen well. What's the harm in dating? Last I checked there is nothing wrong in going out on dates and enjoying someone else's company. And is it really my fault that girls are crazy for me? I prefer them to books anyway, something a nerd like you will not understand, I am sure. And if Lily interprets isolated dates as being in a relationship with me, well, that’s her logic. I have nothing to say to that. I have always respected girls. But I never promised Lily anything. She should have known I don't do relationships. Relationships require hard work, and right now, I cannot afford to lose focus from Quidditch."


Baekhyun kept quiet.


“And Sandara was just that one date on Valentine's Day." Chanyeol added.


"What about the Hufflepuff girl yesterday?" Baekhyun shot, his eyes narrowed, knowing full well that it was not his place to question.


Chanyeol gave him a long hard look. "Lola is the President of my fanclub. She organises fan projects for my Quidditch games. She wanted to discuss some details for tomorrow's Quidditch match, and my birthday, whether I would be free to give some time to my fanclub. I don't see any harm in it."


"So holding hands with her was totally necessary?"


"Baekhyun, Ï care about my fans. They do so much for me. They do these projects for my birthdays, they organise fan chants for my matches. They send me anonymous gifts. They do not even ask for anything in return. I never do anything for them. If someone wants to hold my hand, if it delights my fans, I shall do it again and again and no one can stop me."


"Then why are you giving me this long explanation? You should do as you please. Date girls, whatever." Baekhyun would look anywhere but at him. He was no pushover. He was never one to back down from a fight, and this felt like a spat anyways.
There was silence for a while.


"It is because I care what you think of me." Chanyeol said simply, resignedly, all fight gone. "I think very highly of you. I would like for you to see me in a similar vein. It will not sit well with me if someone I respect thinks of me as a mere playboy. I am sorry for my outburst."
The Griffindor immediately deflated. "I am sorry too." I think the world of you.


Chanyeol paused by the doorway.
"Same time tomorrow?"


And then the Slytherin left. Normally they would walk together till the Great Hall for dinner. Baekhyun did not feel hungry at all now.


He kept tossing and turning on bed that night. Jongdae growled in irritation and threw his pillow at him. "Would you go to sleep already? Quit with the . I swear I have had it with you making weird noises at night."


"I merely stated that he was a playboy! Why did he have to get so mad?" Baekhyun flailed.


Jongdae just turned his back to him. "Please let me sleep. Its Griffindor vs Slytherin tomorrow and I am the star Seeker. If I don't perform well tomorrow, Joy will not go out with me on a date. Please. For the love of Quidditch, quit overthinking."
Baekhyun pouted.
"Chanyeol said he thinks highly of me." he said, hugging the pillow tightly.
"The whole school thinks highly of you, you moron."
"But he also called me a nerd." Baekhyun whined.
Jongdae sat up abruptly, "You continue mooning over Chanyeol. I am going to go lie down in the Common Room. Rest assured though. Griffindor is totally beating Slytherin's , no matter how many goals that Slytherin Keeper saves."

 

 

It was not a must win match for either Slytherin or Gryffindor. But the frenzy of the crowd had a different story to tell. The rivalry of both the Houses was, after all, legendary. Such matches were never a test of conscience for Baekhyun as he dearly supported his own House, and his best friend. Jongdae was the best Seeker Griffindor had had in years. He was too quick on his broomstick, moving faster than the speed of light at the sight of the Snitch. Slytherin had been winning the Quidditch Cup for the last four years, with Griffindor coming up a close second. Baekhyun had hope; maybe this year was Griffindor's.


Funnily, the stadium was sporting three colours- Griffindor's, Slytherin's and a very bright pink. Most of the teenage girls of Hogwarts fancied the Slytherin Keeper, irrespective of their House allegiances. They waved satin pink banners with the words - He Is Such a Keeper to show their support to the dashing player. Hence, the little islands of pink in the sea of green and red. Sandara Park shoved one such banner into an unamused Sehun's hands, and the guy somehow spotted Baekhyun in the crowd to come over and hand him the banner.


"Here. You keep it. You wave it."


Baekhyun's Griffindor mates frowned at him, so he hastily rolled the banner in his palms and began chanting 'Griffindor' instead. Despite this, his eyes were on the man in green Quidditch robes, circling the goal posts. Chanyeol looked dashing in his Quidditch robes and distant from where Baekhyun stood.
Jongdae flew past where he sat.


"Eyes on me, baby boy." he yelled, wide grin showing his merriment.


Baekhyun barely had time to eye either Jongdae or Chanyeol once the match started. It was pretty gory, for one. Slytherin scored goals in quick succession whereas Griffindor Chasers were finding it difficult to get the Quaffle past the Slytherin Seeker. A Bludger had smashed itself violently against Slytherin Chaser Gregory Gagarin. Slytherin Beaters Lee Taemin and Kim Jongin retaliated by throwing Griffindor Chaser Esmeralda Hawke off her broom. Hawke had to be taken off to the Hospital wing.


The referee paused the game to reprimand Jongin and Taemin, who did not look apologetic at all. The team captains too swarmed around the referee, waving hands and pointing fingers. Chanyeol, who was also the Slytherin Captain, threw curses as he engaged in a verbal duel with the Referee. Griffindor captain Luhan was also gesturing wildly.


The crowd below was turning impatient as well.


Baekhyun had seen this side of Chanyeol in Quidditch matches. He tended to become very aggressive. He was not above colliding with a Chaser who dared to bring the Quaffle near his goal posts. Chanyeol's demeanour off pitch was carefully controlled, bordering on nonchalance. On pitch, however, the Slytherin Keeper unleashed his true self and turned into a possessed devil of sorts. He had to win. He needed to win. Quidditch, the thrill it provided, and victory at the end of a hard fought match were all that mattered to Chanyeol. He had said so to Baekhyun himself.


The Match resumed and Griffindor Chaser Luhan, with renewed determination, scored twice. The crowd erupted in cheers, whereas the pink wielding girls gave a collective groan.


"He is Such a Keeper." "He is Such a Keeper" they chanted to boost the Slytherin Keeper's morale. The crowd went ballistic when Griffindor Chaser Xiumin evened their score by scoring another goal. Chanyeol looked murderous.


Baekhyun was biting his nails now, willing Jongdae to find the Snitch and end the match fast. He could not take the tension in the air. When Slytherin upped the ante by scoring five more goals, all eyes and hopes of Griffindors came to rest on Jongdae. Meanwhile, Jongdae was having a hard time as Beaters Jongin and Taemin were single mindedly focusing on sending the Bludgers his way. They could not get him though. Jongdae was much too fast. And when he saw the Snitch flying close to the Slytherin goal posts, Jongdae made quick work of it. Before any of his rival teammates could process what was happening, the Seeker had dived for the Snitch, gripping it hard and lifting his arm for the whole stadium to see. The noise was deafening.


GRIFFINDOR WINS.


Baekhyun broke protocol, and jumped over the barriers to sprint towards where the players were descending on the ground now. He did not hesitate to hug his sweaty best friend tightly.


"You did it. You did it." Baekhyun was squealing, jumping with joy.
"Damn sure showed the Slytherins who the boss is." Jongdae said. Luhan came and patted Jongdae, "Good work." he said, also throwing a smile at Baekhyun.
"Yay Yay Yay" Baekhyun and Jongdae did a jig together, unmindful of the ugly looks Taemin and Jongin threw their way as they walked by.


"Ah! Sore losers! All mouth and no trousers!" Jongdae mocked, his voice loud and shrill. "These losers won't be forgetting this match for days, eh? Quidditch champions? Not this year. I don't think so." Jongdae's face was funny when he mocked someone.


Baekhyun laughed without restraint, exhilarated at the outcome of the match. His laughter died as Park Chanyeol walked by. Chanyeol, whose eyes were definitely on him until the moment Baekhyun spotted him, turned away with a scowl on his face. Was he glaring at me, Baekhyun wondered. Chanyeol's hair was wet with sweat that trickled down his neck; his knuckles were white from gripping the broomstick. Baekhyun was suddenly aware of how he was sticking to Jongdae and let go.


Baekhyun jogged to catch up to the Slytherin seeker. "Hey" he called out.


Chanyeol kept walking but Baekhyun was sure he must have heard him. The Keeper quickened his steps and soon reached the stadium, walking determinedly towards the Slytherin Locker Room. Baekhyun would not give up. He was not sure why he followed Chanyeol, but the dejected form of the tall guy made Baekhyun want to cheer him up.


"Hey. Wait up." Baekhyun called out, trying to push through the students. Once they were in the corridor that led to the Locker Room, Chanyeol suddenly whirled around to face Baekhyun, startling the latter.


Baekhyun stopped in his tracks. The Chanyeol who stood glowering at him felt like a different Chanyeol than the one he had come to know in the past few weeks.
"What is your ing problem? Why are you following me?" Chanyeol spat. His tone was harsh and angry, his teeth gritted.


Baekhyun took tentative steps towards the Keeper. "I - Chanyeol, it's just a game. Don't beat yourself about -”
Chanyeol did not let Baekhyun finish. He marched up to the prefect and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Do you think I need words of consolation from a ing Griffindor? What made you think you have a right to come up to me? Who do you think you are?"
Baekhyun's shoulders were hurting under the iron grip.


Jongin and Gregory Gagarin peered from inside the Locker Room. Chanyeol's voice had thundered across the hall.
Baekhyun found himself unable to speak, muted by the turn of events, and the cruel words from his crush.


I only wanted to cheer you up.


"Chanyeol." Jongin spoke the name like a warning.
Chanyeol took a deep breath and shoved Baekhyun away. His eyes were on fire, mouth curled.
"Go back to your Griffindor team mates and celebrate with them, Byun Baekhyun. And tell that mothering Seeker to tone his cheekiness down a bit."


"That mothering Seeker is my best friend." Baekhyun found his voice, glowering at the other, willing his lips to not tremble. Chanyeol blinked. He certainly had not been expecting Baekhyun to talk back.


Chanyeol pulled his hair. "Jongin, take him out of my sight before I punch him." he barked.


Baekhyun's face fell at that. He felt the unfairness of it all. He had just wanted to pacify Chanyeol, why was he being treated like this? He looked at Jongin, who made no move to shove him out, and at Gregory Gagarin, who was eyeing him with a smirk.


"Oh look" Gagarin said, his voice all nasal and nasty, "This Griffindor tid bit is clutching that pink banner in his hands. Are you Chanyeol's fan? Are you a girl?"
"Gregory." Jongin warned again, before walking up to Baekhyun. "Come. Let’s go." he said gently. It was Jongin's gentle tone that made Baekhyun's eyes well up. He gave one look at Chanyeol before turning around, blinking back the ache in his heart.


"Don't mind Chanyeol. He gets a bit agitated. He takes winning and losing personally." Jongin said as he followed Baekhyun towards the exit. Baekhyun kept walking silently, eyes downcast. His eyes, ears and nose were red as the red beanie he had on. Jet black hair poked from under his beanie to cover his eyes partly. It was a sight. A small figure in red, covered in woolens from head to toe, and a sweaty Slytherin walking few paces behind him protectively.


A green figure walked past them before doubling back and blocking their path.
"What is it? Why is Baekhyun crying?" Sehun's tone was accusatory.


"I am not crying." Baekhyun said hotly. It was true. He wasn't.


Sehun narrowed his eyes. "Bollocks! Your nose is all red and eyes are red rimmed too. What happened?" The question was posed to Jongin. The tan bloke hesitated before saying, "You know how Chanyeol gets after losing."


Sehun pursed his lips, face showing comprehension. But he did not say anything. Instead, he pulled out the pink satin cloth he had shoved in Baekhyun's hands only hours before.
"I'll take that back. I am sure Chanyeol will sing a very different tune when he calms down."
Baekhyun squared his shoulders. "Whatever."


"Is that the same Griffindor prefect you were telling me about?" Jongin asked Sehun on their way back.
Sehun nodded, deep in thought.
"I see. I think you may have been right with your theory."


Sehun threw the pink cloth in Chanyeol's face. "Here. You should keep it." Chanyeol removed the item from his face.
"Why is it moist?"
"I don't know. You tell me. You may or may not have made a certain someone tear up. Are you bladdered? I told you, told you, at the very beginning to not hurt him in any manner."


Chanyeol did not say anything, instead pocketing the item. "I don't want to talk about this." he said, still in his foul mood.


But Sehun knew Chanyeol would talk about it. And soon. He was prepared for it when Chanyeol flopped down on his bed after dinner the next day.
"How was your practice with Baekhyun today?" Sehun prompted, feeling Chanyeol's eyes on him.
"Kim Jongdae turned up instead. He gave me this." Chanyeol tossed a balled up piece of parchment. Sehun unfolded it.


I regret to inform that I lost my voice cheering for Griffindor during the match - BBH


Sehun smirked. "Serves you right for making a dog's dinner over Slytherin's loss." he threw the parchment back at the other guy.
"Did you meet him today?"
Yes I did, and his voice was perfectly fine, thank you very much.
"I did not see him at all."
Chanyeol narrowed his eyes.
"But don't you guys regularly meet to plan for Hogwarts Helping Hands?"
"I met Sandara." Sehun said.
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"Nothing."


They were quiet for a while. Sehun decided to fish, he was feeling lucky tonight.
"Sandara seems to think you guys are dating."
Chanyeol pondered over this. "We are not." he finally said.
"Sandara seems to think she scored a date with you for this week's Hogsmeade trip."
Chanyeol sighed. "She asked me out at breakfast this morning. I did not have the heart to refuse her in front of all the other students sitting on the table. So I may have nodded. Besides, she is gorgeous." He grinned wolfishly.
"Maybe she is. Maybe she is not. She is not my type for sure."
"I know your type. You like the cute ones. You want to hold their hand, and look into their eyes, and pamper them silly. You are the one who would give their all in a relationship."


Sehun smiled, a faraway look of fondness in his eyes. “You know me. I would be consumed with their thoughts."
Chanyeol lay back on his bed, making himself comfortable, "You would not give them any space at all. I can never be that sort of boyfriend. I can't imagine myself being consumed by anyone."


"I dunno. I feel you haven't fallen for the right person yet. I have a feeling you will dance according to their wishes once you find that person."


Chanyeol scoffed, "Me? Really? Haven't you seen my modus operandi? I move on from them the minute they start growing on me. I don't want to be a fool."
"I think you are the real fool here."


"Tell me then, Oh Sehun, who is your type? Who would you willingly be a fool for?"


"Miranda Kerr." Sehun announced.


"Someone from our school, Sehun."


"Okay, umm, Rosie Hall."


"That giggling shortie from Hufflepuff? Nah, I don't see you pampering her at all."


"Then, Abigail Martinez."


Chanyeol snorted, "She's not even cute. Besides, she likes me. Next."


"Zaara Longbottom."


"Professor Longbottom will feed you to his talking creepers if you hit on his niece. Next."


"Krystal?" Sehun asked in an unsure voice.


"Krystal" pondered Chanyeol, "Krystal, yes. But I don't see the chemistry at all between you two. She is more Jongin's type."


Sehun scoffed. He wanted to tell Chanyeol that Do Kyungsoo, the hostile Ravenclaw prefect, was Kim Jongin's only type. But Chanyeol had the tendency to miss the really important details. Chanyeol was not someone who could read the finer print if it was not glaring in his face like a speeding Quaffle. He would have been a really bad Seeker. He totally missed the point sometimes.


"Fine. Baekhyun, then" Sehun said with an air of finality. It was dark and Sehun could not see Chanyeol's expression, but he smirked nevertheless when the other boy did not fire any immediate retort. "See? He is probably the cutest person in our school. I could spoil him silly, listen to all his tantrums, and spend my evenings with him. And you haven't seen how the Griffindors pamper him, man. Jongdae literally makes it his day's goal to send Baekhyun into peals of laughter. And I - if it were me - I would just keep pinching his cheeks and holding his pretty perfect fingers in mine and rubbing his lips with my thumb - "


"Do you have a crush on him?" Chanyeol cut in.


"I don't" Sehun declared, the lie easily forming in his lips, "But I could really fall in love with someone like him." his voice rang with sincerity.


"Yes," Chanyeol agreed after a while, "Byun Baekhyun is the sort one should fall in love with. He is much too precious to be a trivial pursuit. "


Sehun tried to make out Chanyeol's face in the dark. "I hope no one fools around with him, or hurts him." he said pointedly.


There was silence for a while, only the gentle sounds emanating from the Great Lake making up the ambient noise.


"How should I make it up to him?" Chanyeol asked out of the blue, sounding a little sheepish.


"He does not hold grudges, Yeol, at least that is my impression of him. Of course what you did was wrong. Poor Baekhyun. He must have had the shock of his life. Maybe accost him at a corridor tomorrow and get down on your knees?"


A pillow came flying in the dark and landed harmlessly beside Sehun. "Definitely not getting down on my knees. The accosting bit, though -"


As it turned out, accosting Byun Baekhyun unawares in the corridors of a big castle such as Hogwarts was easier said than done. Perhaps the Prefect had perfected the art of moving around unnoticed. Twice Chanyeol spotted the Griffindor from a distance. But by the time he could make his way to the boy, his target would disappear in thin air.


They shared Potions class, true. But if a certain boy straightaway made for the door at the sound of the bell, there was very little the Slytherin could do. Sehun wore that evil smirk all throughout the day while Jongin looked concerned for Chanyeol, who was visibly frustrated by the end of the day.

Two days. Two days he had not practiced with Baekhyun. Two days he had not laid eyes on Baekhyun properly. Chanyeol just wanted to get the guilt off his chest.

 

**