A dream is a wish your heart makes

Dreamer

The sound of footsteps could be heard that afternoon. Baekhyun was on his way home after a long schoolday. His steps grew more heavier as he approached his home. 

He opened the door to his home and was greeted by the heavy silence that haunted him in his sleep.

He took off his shoes and headed inside the kitchen. He threw something together to eat while he waited.

About an hour later he heard the door open. He smiled and went out of the kitchen to greet his mother. He barely got out one syllable before his mother was slamming the door to her bedroom, leaving Baekhyun alone on the hallway with a fading smile.

Baekhyun went to his own bedroom and later heard someone entering the house again. He prayed that today will not be one of those days but soon the silence wa broken by shouts and arguments between his parents. He contemplated the idea of going out of his bedroom to stop the argument but as soon as his hand wrapped aound the doorknob he heard a loud noise that startled him. His father had probably thrown a dish at the wall. 

Baekhyun immediately changed his mind and ran to his bed and buried himself under the covers.

He just wished it would all stop. 

He squeezed his eyes shut and covered his ears, hoping the noise would stop. Soon, without him realizing it, Baekhyun slipped into dreamland.

 

When he opened his eyes, he found himself in a bright place, a meadow. He looked around him, taking in the sight. Suddenly, Baekhyun felt a presence beside him and was surprised when he saw a being sitting beside him, looking straight ahead, not aknowledging him. The being looked human, but it was neither a boy nor a girl. The being was bright, even though it didn't shine, but it was also somehow dark.

" Where am I? " Baekhyun asked but got no answer as the being continued to stare straight. Baekhyun decided to try again.

" What are you? " He asked.

Still no answer.

" Who are you? "

At that the being turned to him and smiled. It opened its mouth, like it was going to answer but suddenly a loud blaring noise invaded Baekhyuns head. Baekhyun grabbed his ears trying to block out the noise but it seemed like it came from within him. He kept his eyes on the being as it spoke, seeing its lips move to form words, but he couldn't hear anything apart from the noise. The being smiled again and Baekhyun suddenly jolted awake, awoken by the blaring alarm by his bedside.

He checked his clock and saw that he had slept until morning. Baekhyun got up to go to school, not really wanting to go, but it was better than staying at home. the day passed slowly. Baekhyun had a headache and the noise around him didn't help. There were people everywhere, laughing, shouting and talking. His friend Chanyeol got to the table where he was sitting and started talking about a project they had been working on. Baekhyun didn't want to be rude so he listened intently to what Chanyeol was saying but eventually zoned out. He leaned his head against the wall behind him and let himself close his eyes for a second. The noise around him began to fade and when he opened his eyes he was alone.

The cafeteria he had been sitting in was empty. Baekhyun concluded that this must be a dream because right in front of him stood the being. It was pretty far away but Baekhyun saw it clearly. He watched with wide eyes as the being lifted a finger and put it against its mouth, like it was telling him to be quiet. A snapping sound was heard and Baekhyun opened his eyes to see Chanyeol snapping his finger in front of him.

" Are you okay? Did you get any sleep last night? "

" Yeah I'm fine, sorry " Baekhyun said.

 

Baekhyun arrived home later than usual and his parents were already fighting when he walking inside the house. He went straight to his room and the headache was killing him so he went to bed. 

This time he found himself on a rooftop of a large building. He stood close to the edge and when he looked down he saw cars and people about the size of an ant. He thought about jumping, just ending it right there, because life just isn't as fun as he thought it would be. But before he could do anything the being appeared beside him. It looked at him for a long time before speaking for the first time. 

" I wouldn't jump if I were you "

" Why not? " Baekhyun asked and hoped the being would talk again because it had a wonderful voice.

" Because killing yourself in a dream doesn't work, it will only wake you up, and you don't want that do you? " the being said.

Baekhyun thought about those words. The being was right. He definitely didn't want to wake up. So he stepped away from the edge and sat down, hoping the being would do the same. It did and Baekhyun internally cheered.

Baekhyun talked to the being and found its voice oddly comforting. They talked for a while but suddenly the being looked up to the sky and fell silent. Baekhyun followed its gaze and saw dark clouds approaching. The wind picked up and the being turned to him. It stood up and Baekhun did the same.

" I thinks it's time for you to wake up " the being said and suddenly pushed Baekhyun backwards. Baekhyun, not realizing he was standing so close to the edge, felt himself falling of the building and down to the ground. 

Baekhyun woke up with a gasp. He checked the clock and saw it was almost time for school. He sighed and got up, getting ready for another bleak day in his life.

 

The following days passed in a blur. Baekhyun began to sleep more, finding his dreams much more fun than reality. But the more he slept the darker his under eye circles became. He was more pale now, and his friends certainly noticed. They told him to sleep more, thinking that he looked like this because of lack of sleep. Little did they know that sleep was the cause of all this.

Baekhyun liked spending time with the being. It made him forget the real world. He once voiced those thoughts out loud.

" I want to dream forever " Baekhyun said absently, not noticing the sad look in the beings eyes.

" I used to think like that and look at me now " the being said. Baekhyun was more than confused by those words but before he could say anything, he woke up. Dissapointeed, he got out of bed.

The following week, Baekhyun didn't dream the being at all. He searched for it but never found it. His dreams became dull and he had lost hope at finding the being when it finally appeared again. Baekhyun almost cried with relief, making the being ask what was wrong.

" Why are you upset? " It asked.

" I'm not upset I'm just happy because I'm finally dreaming good dreams again " Baekhyun answered, smiling bright.

A hard look passed over the beings face before it said: " What if I'm not a good dream? What if I'm a nightmare?

Baekhyuns smile didnt' falter. He just looked at the being and said: " You're not a nightmare to me. "

 

 

In the real world, Baekhyun was used to getting headaches, but this night was particularly bad. He couldn't sleep and after tossing and turning in bed, he finally went to get a painkiller. Out on the hall he met his mother, who was on her way to get a glass of water. His mother asks what he's doing awake and Baekhyun says that he can't sleep.

His mother lets out a dry laugh. " Well that's unusual. " She says before going into her bedroom and returning with a pack of sleeping pills. His mother throws them at him and returns to her bedroom without saying anything else.

Baekhyun takes two painkillers and goes back to bed. Time passes but the pain didn't seem to be subduing. Baekhyun takes another painkiller and one sleeping pill.

Baekhyun finally falls asleep but dreams only darkness and angry gray waves hitting rock. Baekhyun wakes up with a gasp and hears his parents fighting. Baekhyun just wants to sleep but the pain is killing him and he takes another painkiller and sleeping pill. 

He continues tossing and turning and suddenly in anger and annoiance, over not being able to fall asleep and just life in general, he downs three sleeping pills in one go.

 

Baekhyun finds himself on a grassy hill. It was very bright, so very bright, and also warm. He was lying on the ground. Baekhyun sat up and saw the being heading towards him and he waited.

The being was right in front of him when it asked: " Where do you want to go? "

" Anywhere " Baekhyun said " I just don't want to wake up. "

The being nodded and exstended a hand, signalling Baekhyun to take it. He raised his hand slowly, looking straight into the beings eyes. As soon as he took the beings hand, the brightness increased. Baekhyun closed his eyes and let the brightness and warmth take over as the being led him forward.

 

 

It was a peaceful sunny morning. The silence was broken by an alarm ringing. The phone vibrated on the bedside table, next to an empty glass of water and pill tabloids.

A lump on the bed made no move to turn off the alarm. In fact, it made no move at all. Not even the rising of a breathing chest. 

The alarm continued ringing but eventually it stopped. 

Now there was only silence.