Chapter 11 - Charitable Deeds Cure Hangovers

The Lover's Signature
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seulgi groaned as she woke up feeling the effects of last night’s drinking in her head. “I swear, peer pressure will be the death of me.” She said slapping her own cheek.

“I’ll say.”

Seulgi looked up and saw Irene standing at the doorway with a cup of coffee in one hand and a smirk on her face. 

“Why are you smirking at me like that?” 

“Because it serves you right for letting such chaos unfold in our apartment.” Irene said wagging her finger at Seulgi. She turned around to leave the room, but turned back to add, “There’s coffee in the kitchen, drink it or don’t, up to you.” 

Seulgi got out of bed and made her way to the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee. “What time did everyone leave last night?” She asked as she took a sip and turned to face Irene who was typing away on her laptop. 

“Probably around 1 in the morning.” Irene said without looking up from her laptop.

“Damn, how did I get to my bed?” Seulgi asked looking back towards her bedroom. 

“Jisoo and I carried you.” Irene said still not looking up from her laptop. 

“Jisoo?” 

“Mhm.”

“Oh. Well, thanks.” Seulgi sat down beside Irene and peered over at her laptop.

“Still not breaking your habit of peeking at my work, huh?” Irene said glancing at Seulgi.

Seulgi chuckled and patted Irene’s head, “How’s the writing going?”

“I’m actually getting something done for once.” Irene said.

“Well, can I read it?”

“No!”

“Why not?” 

“Because, you’re supposed to read it after it’s finished!” Irene said smacking Seulgi’s shoulder.

“Hey! Ouch! Fine! But look who admitted to wanting me to read their book.” Seulgi said grinning triumphantly.

“You wish I cared.” Irene scoffed. She looked at Seulgi for a moment and opened to say something, but decided against it. Seulgi noticed it though and motioned for Irene to say what she wanted to. “Do you have work today?” 

“Nope. It’s Sunday, thank God!” Seulgi said clasping her hands together and shaking them as a sign of appreciation to the heavens.

“Do you have plans?” Irene asked.

“I don’t know. Usually Jisoo texts me and we game for the day or just hang out.” Seulgi shrugged. 

“Jisoo huh?” Irene said with a smirk.

“What?” Seulgi replied cluelessly.

“Nothing, nothing. Well, if you don’t have plans today, do you want to hang out with me and Wendy?” 

“That’s unusually sweet of you.” Seulgi chuckled.

“Okay don’t come then.” 

“I was just- I’ll come!” 

“Be ready in 30 minutes then.” Irene said closing her laptop and headed to her room. 

Seulgi ran back to her room and hastily picked out an outfit to wear for the day. She checked her phone to see if Jisoo had texted her and to her disappointment, she hadn’t. She had band practice with the girls at night, so she would probably see Jisoo anyways. Seulgi waited by the door for Irene who came out of her room in a white sweater and dark blue jeans. 

“You took super long.” Seulgi groaned dramatically.

“I’m sorry, but I need to look good when I go out.” Irene said folding her arms. 

“Well, hurry up and look good outside.” Seulgi said shooing Irene out the door. 

They both left the apartment and headed to Irene’s car. The drive to Wendy’s apartment was shorter than Seulgi expected. Irene parked her car outside and called Wendy to let her know that they had arrived. When Wendy had come out from the entrance and noticed Irene’s car, she grinned and waved. 

“Damn, Wendy is hot today.” Seulgi whistled.

Irene slapped Seulgi’s arm. “Watch yourself. That’s my best friend.” 

“Ouch! I know! I was just kidding. Kind of.” Seulgi said sticking her tongue at Irene right before Wendy got into the car. 

“Hey Seulgi. Good to see you sobered up.” Wendy teased as she slid into the backseat. 

“Oh my god.” Seulgi groaned.

“I’m just kidding. Yesterday was fun, so I’m glad we can hang out again.” Wendy giggled. 

“So what exactly is going on today?” Seulgi asked looking back at Irene and back to Wendy. 

“Well, Irene and I are doing some charity work at the park today and then we were going to have a little picnic afterwards.” 

“Charity work?”

“Yeah, we help volunteer at the park and help with this free meal event the park has for the less fortunate.” Wendy explained 

“Oh wow. That’s awesome. But that's not exactly 'hanging out' so y'all are liars.” Seulgi said shaking her head at the both of them.

“We should get going.” Irene said checking the time on her watch. She put the park’s address into her gps and started driving again. 

“So, what brings you out on this fine day with us?” Wendy asked Seulgi.

“Um… I don’t know. I don’t have any plans until tonight and so I thought it’d be nice to hang out with you two. Well, at least I thought we were hanging out.” Seulgi said shrugging her shoulders. 

“Well, even though it’s not exactly hanging out, I’m glad that you’re joining us today.” Wendy said flashing a grin at Seulgi. 

“Do you both have any plans for tonight?” Seulgi asked looking back at Irene who was focused on the road and then back to Wendy.

“Not really.” Irene answered. 

“Do you guys want to come see me and the band play at Jimin’s bar tonight?” Seulgi suggested.

“Whoa! That sounds fun! I’m totally down to go.” Wendy said excitedly.

 Seulgi looked at Irene who shrugged. “Sure.” 

 

After a short drive, the girls arrived at the park Wendy had been talking about. They parked the car in the lot and walked to the park office. Almost immediately, they were greeted by the parks manager.

“Ms. Bae! Ms. Son! So good to see you again! Are you here to volunteer?” The park manager asked as she shook girls hands. “And who’s this?” The manager said with a smile as she shook Seulgi’s hand.

“Hi, I’m Seulgi Kang. I’m here to volunteer today with them.”

“That’s very kind of you. Well, Irene and Wendy know where the volunteer booths are so you won’t need much help from me.” The manager said with a laugh.


Seulgi followed Irene and Wendy to the volunteer booths were little tents were set up to sign in and sign up for certain tasks. Seulgi signed in and looked at the list of tasks to volunteer for. She looked over at Irene’s paper and noticed that she had signed up to pick up trash. She figured it’d be easier to tag along with Irene than go off on her own to do things. Wendy had signed up to help with the garden in the park. The park volunteer leaders listed off instructions for each task and had everyone take a map of the park with them. 

Seulgi and Irene started on a trail that would lead them all around the park. The park had trash pickers that made it easier for the both of them pick up trash without touching any of the filth on the ground. 


“Have you been doing this for a long time?” Seulgi asked Irene who was quietly picking up some balled up tissues on the grass. 

“Not that long. I think I started a couple of months ago. Wendy used to come by herself, but she started bringing me along because she thought it would good for me to clear my head.” 

“Clear your head?” 

“I don’t know. My head get’s really clouded with thoughts and sometimes it takes a mental toll on me.” Irene said with a sigh.

“Is it because you’re a world famous author?”

“Partially, I guess.” 

Seulgi threw an empty can of soda into her trash bag and pondered on what to say to Irene. 

“Is your writing? Are you still having trouble?" Seulgi asked.

“Better. But still not that great.” Irene said quietly.

“Well, if it helps, maybe we could watch a movie back at the apartment after my gig tonight. You know, for inspirational reasons." 

Irene looked up and chuckled at Seulgi for a brief moment. “I'm starting to think you're just using me as an excuse to watch movies.” 

“I'm just here to show you how superior my taste in movies is compared you yours.” Seulgi teased.

Irene laughed, “Alright, after your show, we'll watch your pick and I"ll see if it's any good and if it's not you owe me.....something."

"What would that be?"

"I don't know yet, but deal?"

Seulgi poked Irene's side and stuck her tongue out, "Deal. But you better be honest." 

"Yeah, yeah. I wil. Don't worry." 

They stayed on the trail, picking up the bits of trash that people had thrown aside on the ground. 


“Jesus, these people need to learn how to hold onto their trash until they see a trash can. Like it’s not going to cost you your life to just hold on to an empty bag of chips.” Irene said as she pointed at all the trash that still needed to be picked up along the way. “Seriously, if you live on this planet, treat it well.” Irene scolded at no one in particular. 

Seulgi had to hold back her laughter as she watched Irene go into a pissy mood as she picked up the trash. 

“If someone walked by you right now, they’d think you were sentenced to community service after committing some sort of crime.” Seulgi joked.

“I know i’m volunteering to do this, but seeing this makes me really disappointed in people.” Irene sighed. 

Seulgi felt something drop onto the back of her hand, so she looked up at the sky. “Well, you’re about to be even more disappointed.” 

Almost immediately, rain started to pour down on the both of them. Irene yelped and looked around for a place to take cover.

“There’s a greenhouse over there.” Irene said pointing farther up on the trail. She grabbed Seulgi’s hand and ran towards the greenhouse. They ran inside and looked around to see if anyone else was there, unfortunately t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter