Plan vs. Reality

Plans vs. Reality (Christmas version)

The last practice before Christmas is the most tiring one. Cold sweat, aching muscles and loud breathing - that's the only thing Park Jihoon remembers from the previous pre-Christmas practices. However, this year is different. Spending my Christmas with the person I love and confessing him under the mistletoe - just this thought is enough to fill Jihoon's mind with nervousness and excitement, his hands already shaking. That's not good, Jihoon thinks as he hears his heart beating too fast and too loudly while approaching a small-faced boy. Be confident, it's not a big deal, Jihoon tries to calm himself down but ultimately fails when Bae Jinyoung, the newest member of their school dance club, suddenly turns around.

"Hyung, you were amazing," Jinyoung exclaims, his eyes beaming with admiration. "Your popping part almost popped my heart!"

Jihoon is pretty sure that he hates corny lines but Jinyoung's words makes him blush and love him even more. I am too deep in this, Jihoon realizes, a smile quickly creeping up on his lips.

"You were really good too. You are learning fast, nobody would guess that you began dancing 2 months ago," Jihoon praises the younger boy and Jinyoung's cuteness melts his heart as he sees Jinyoung's face scrunching into a genuine smile. "One year or two and you will surpass me."

"Ah, hyung, what are you saying," Jinyoung whines cutely and Jihoon is convinced that if he doesn't hurry with the conversation, his heart might stop because of Jinyoung's endearing actions. That's it. It's now or never, Jihoon thinks, gathering all his mental strength.

"Jinyoungie, do you have any plans for Christmas?"

"Not really," Jinyoung says, his eyes widened in slight confusion. "Just, you know, normal stuff, nothing special."

Jihoon takes a deep breath. I am a man and there is no going back. Asking is the easier part, waiting for the answer is much worse.

"Le-let's spend Christmas together then."

Fortunately for Jihoon, Jinyoung's expressions are like an open book so he has an idea, what the answer might be like.  At first, shock and confusion were written all over his handsome face but soon were replaced by a playful grin. Seeing Jinyoung's smile, Jihoon dares to hope.

"Hyung, I -"

But before Jinyoung can say anything further, Jihoon feels an arm on his shoulders and watches another arm wrapping around Jinyoung's waist.

"Hey, that's a good idea, let's spend Christmas together everyone!" Seongwoo screams excitedly as he tries to squeeze both boys in his hug. "Let's throw a Christmas party!"

 


 

It has been three days since Seongwoo's name became Jihoon's cursing mantra.

"Seongwoo sure knows how to ruin things," Jihoon mumbles angrily as he enters a shop. "That damn hyung. Seongwoo-hyung. Seongwoo. Ong Seongwoo. How could you do that to me?"

People in the shop are turning towards Jihoon but he doesn't care. His eyes are already fixated on one thing only - a white turtleneck sweater he has been eyeing for weeks. When it comes to clothes, Jihoon's taste might be all rainbow and extravagant but he knows very well which colors suit Jinyoung best - black like Jinyoung's raven hair, white like Jinyoung's perfect teeth and red like his cheeks when he imagines Jinyoung wearing the piece he personally chose for him. I am beyond saving, Jihoon thinks as the image of Jinyoung wearing the white turtleneck sweater lingers in his mind and his heart keeps fluttering.

 


 

Park Jihoon is bad at working with his hands - that's a generally known fact but Jihoon still tries his best to defy the odds and nicely wrap his gift for Jinyoung. Although Jihoon doesn't even remember the last time he used scissors or glue, he works with carefulness and patience - two qualities that don't exactly fit Jihoon's character.

 


 

Unlike other members, Jihoon thinks leaving the party planning to Seongwoo was a good idea. Even though the karaoke room is small, loud and dark and there are no signs of Chrismas except few Christmas lights hanged around the room, Jihoon is ready to declare this Christmas as the best one he has ever experienced - especially in those moments, when his and Jinyoung's hands brush off against each other as both of them try to acquire certain space while being squeezed by other nine members.

"So, how do you like the party?" Jihoon shouts, trying to be heard despite Seongwoo, Daniel and Daehwi singing Likey at full blast. Jihoon is pretty sure that Seongwoo's idea of the Christmas party is a poor excuse to hang out with Daniel on Christmas Eve in the same way he's sure that it's karma that the whole day Daehwi has been standing between Seongwoo and Daniel while singing TWICE's songs.

"Me likey, likey, likey," Jinyoung replies by singing cutely and despite the room being quite dark, Jihoon can perfectly see Jinyoung's smile, brighter than sun. "Dugeundugeundugeun."

Well, there goes my heart, Jihoon thinks as he clutches his bag where Jinyoung's gift is. This is the right time to give him the gift but we need to get out of here first.

"Do you wanna go out?"

"Hyung, are you asking me out?"

Jinyoung's reply was like a punch out of nowhere. A good punch that almost made Jihoon faint as he knocked over several glasses of various drinks, spilling it everywhere including him and the paper bag with Jinyoung's gift, also wrapped in the paper.

"Oh sh-oot," Jihoon almost curses as he feels his eyes tearing up. I am so doomed. All the planning and hard work...

"Jihoon-hyung."

It's all gone. The gift is ruined.

"Jihoon-hyung."

Everything is ruined because of me.

"Park Jihoon."

Jihoon isn't sure what exactly took him out of the pit of self-pity - was it how manly Jinyoung sounded while saying his full name or the fact that Jinyoung casually grabbed his hand, leading the way out of the karaoke room - but Jihoon feels like his heart is about to burst out of his chest. Unfortunately for Jihoon, the warmth of Jinyoung's hand doesn't last long, as soon as they arrive at the bathroom, Jinyoung lets go of his hand.

"Out of two of us, I am supposed to be the clumsy one," Jinyoung teases him a little as he motions to Jihoon to take off his stained sweatshirt. "But hyung, are you really okay? You seemed kinda off the whole day."

Why does nothing go the way I want? I am not okay, Jinyoung-ah, Jihoon thinks as he starts sobbing again. "Th-the gi-gift is r-ruined by m-me."

"I like giving more anyway," Jinyoung shruggs nonchalantly as he takes something small out of the pocket of his skinny jeans. "Merry Christmas, Jihoon-hyung!"

Jihoon thinks Bae Jinyoung is teasing him again. On the palm of his right hand there is a black box with pink ribbon and Jihoon can't help but notice that it looks oddly similar to ring boxes he has seen in movies. But Jihoon knows better, he has been crushing on this boy for almost a year but was finally able to hold a decent conversation 2 months ago when Jinyoung joined their school dance club - those certainly are not premises for a proposal.

"Open it! Open it," Jinyoung hurries him impatiently and Jihoon doesn't dare to delay anymore - his hands work fast as he finally opens the box.

"A-a fr-friendship bracelet?"

Jihoon stares at the pink handmade bracelet, his mind going blank. Friendship bracelet. He just wants to be friends with me... Jihoon knows he shouldn't feel disappointed since it probably took him hours to make it for him but he does. How selfish of me...

Seeing Jihoon not taking the bracelet out of the box, Jinyoung asks worriedly: "You don't like it? Is it the colour?"

That isn't the problem at all, Jihoon thinks as he frowns. Friendship. FriendsOnce I put the bracelet, it's like saying I also just want to friends with you. And I don't. But it's the first gift from you...

"Then I'll take it back."

Jihoon blinks in surprise. And then he blinks again as he sees that the box is not in his hand anymore. As if I would give up the first present, Jihoon thinks as he tries to reach Jinyoung's left hand where Jinyoung hides his gift. Unfortunately for Jihoon, Jinyoung is too tall him.

"Ya, Jinyoung-ah, give it back! You already gave it to me, you can't just take back the gifts you gave!"

"Then be honest with me, hyung. You don't like the gift, do you?" Jinyoung pleads with his big deer-like eyes while pouting.

Jihoon can't thinks straight - he's not able to come up with a sufficient excuse. There are only 3 words of truth in Jihoon's mind and he prays that Jinyoung's likes of straightforwardness and honesty include a sincere confession.

"Okay, I'll say it but don't you dare run away from me," Jihoon jokingly threatens but he means every word. Jihoon has never been the type to confess first, he has always been on the receiving end, but somehow with Jinyoung, his heart desires to properly convey his feelings  during every moment he spends with him. Jihoon wants Jinyoung to know that he's loved and that there'll always be at least one person standing by his side who will love him and appreciate him for who he is. Jihoon wants to let Jinyoung know that person is him - mistletoe or not.

"I really like the bracelet, it's my style. And it's my first present from you... But if I'll wear it that means we are just friends, right?" Jihoon blurts out while looking directly into Jinyoung's eyes. Jihoon sees galaxies and stars, he tries to capture and save it within his heart - he is perfectly aware it might be his last time to see this breathtaking view. "I like you, Bae-"

"Hyung."

"-Jinyoung. No, actually, I love-"

"Jihoon-hyung."

"Ya, let hyung speak first. I love you and that's why I can't be just friends-"

Jihoon's stream of words is abruptly stopped by a soft pair of lips colliding with his.

"Hyung, you just talk too much!" Jinyoung whines with a cheeky grin on his face.

Although Jihoon's mind is in the state of shock, his body isn't. His arms are moving instinctively as he swiftly grabs the younger boy's waist and pulls him closer. Jihoon doesn't know if the younger boy has the same feelings as him or he was just teasing him, but he will gladly accept the consequences afterwards. I am too far to go back anyway. What was meant by Jinyoung as a quick peck, is now hungrily deepened by Jihoon into a real kiss. 

 


 

To Jihoon's surprise, their make-out session lasted for nearly two hours. It could have last much longer if certain hyung didn't suddenly barged in and started to barf loudly.

 "That damn hyung. Seongwoo-hyung. Seongwoo. Ong Seongwoo. How could you do that to me?" Jihoon murmurs, both of them quickly leaving the bathroom.

There is an awkward silence as they nervously stand in the hallway, both of them red like tomatoes. 

 "So..." Jinyoung starts as he scratches his head, unable to find to the right words.

 "So?" Jihoon repeats as questions fill his mind. Why did you kiss me first? Do you really feel the same?  Did we really just make out for nearly 2 hours? 

"Open it again," Jinyoung says and without any further explanation he puts the black box in Jihoon's hands.

Jihoon's heart drops. Are we back at this again? The friendship thing? But Jihoon listens anyway.

"Turn the bracelet over."   

BJY ❤ PJH

"As if I would give you a friendship bracelet." Jinyoung says, rolling his eyes. "I know better than that. I love you too, Park Jihoon."