3/3

Mongryong is missing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Baekhyun you’re looking like a ghost. Did you pull an all-nighter?” Jongdae asked his best friend after taking a seat opposite to him in the canteen with a packet of lays in hands. He took a look around the place and for some reason it was a bit more crowded today than the usual. Baekhyun ignored the question and kept on writing down on the A4 size sheets. His eyes were weary, he looked tired, almost like a person who didn’t sleep in years.

 

“You’re taking the project too seriously, aren’t you?” Jongdae interrogated. Baekhyun still chose to ignore him, even though he was tired, he looked determined to complete the given work before the due date. His brows were furrowed, and his gaze concentrated to the piece of paper he was working at that moment.

After not getting any reply, Jongdae decided to tease his friend a little. He s a hand forward to tip Baekhyun’s chip up. “Oh god, look at these eyes, man! Can’t believe you sacrificed your beauty sleep for some mere project.” His hand got slapped away instantly and Baekhyun finally stuffed in his study material in the bag, with a satisfied grin lingering on his face.

 

“I want to finish it by today, Dae,” Baekhyun said, and yawned out loud, without even caring to put a hand on his wide open mouth. He had no shame after all.

 

“Okay then, good luck. I have a class now so I’m leaving. Can’t miss the sight of my beautiful Minmin. Make sure to eat something, okay?” Baekhyun just nodded, as he was too tired to use words. He waved a hand lethargically in the air to dismiss his friend off.

Once he was alone, he decided to take a nap. Canteen was surely not the best place to sleep, but considering how exhausted he was feeling at the moment, he thought there was no harm in sleep for few minutes.

“Can I sit here?”

But perhaps God didn’t want him to sleep. He was disturbed once more. He was so sure that it was Jongdae that he was even ready to launch a fist fight at him.

“What the hell is your problem Jong—oh it is you, Chanyeol.” There was a slight decrease in his volume and tone after realizing who it was. Baekhyun stopped for a moment, before continuing his speech, “Why are you asking me? Does this table belong to me? Sit wherever the you feel like, okay?” Baekhyun was riled up once again, maybe whatever he told the giant the previous day had no effect on him.

 

“You looked tired so I thought not to disturb. That’s why I asked for the permission, Baekhyun.” There was a small, teasing smile on Chanyeol’s face. After everything that Baekhyun said yesterday—and those loving eyes, full of respect, friendliness or maybe of something that Chanyeol couldn’t define, he was sure Baekhyun did care for him, and that alone was enough for him to make the happiest man alive.

 

“Whatever just sit down in silence. I’m taking a nap.”

 

“Aye sir! I’ll keep quiet and won’t disturb you at a---chhhhiiiiii!”

 

And damn, he sneezed again.

 

Instead of facing Baekhyun’s wrath at his action, the elder looked concerned.

 

“Did you catch a cold?” Baekhyun asked, suddenly not feeling sleepy at all. His drowsy eyes were now tracing Chanyeol’s face careful.

 

“No.. it’s just nothing. I’m fine, nothing serious.” Chanyeol faked a laugh and diverted the topic of discussion, “what about our project? I couldn’t do much work yesterday, after all you took all the books away while leaving.”

 

“Oh that, don’t worry. A little is left, there isn’t anything more for you to do. I’ll tell you when it is done, okay?!” Chanyeol shook his head at this.

 

Baekhyun looked thoughtful for a moment, and then he demanded, “give me your hand, Chanyeol.”

 

“Which one?” Feeling unsure, he asked.

“Any will do.”

 

Chanyeol placed his fit hand on top of Baekhyun’s nervously, not sure about his intention this time. The former turned his hand around and scribbled some digits messily, on his calloused palm with a pen.

“Here is my number, you can call me to know whether the project is done or not. Okay?” Baekhyun let go Chanyeol’s hand and stood up. He slung his bag on a shoulder and left the place without even saying goodbye, he just wanted to go and sleep somewhere peacefully. A nice, warm place like Chanyeol’s bed, which smelled nice too.

 

Chanyeol was left alone wondering why Baekhyun didn’t just type his number on mobile phone instead of writing it on his palm. Maybe he still didn’t understand even half of who Baekhyun actually was, which saddened him.

 

Baekhyun made his way out of the canteen, finding some fresh air in the corridor. Feeling finally relaxed as the atmosphere was too tight in there.

 

“I see what you did there, Byun.”

And of course God didn’t like him to be alone and peaceful. Someone always had to come and disturb him.

 

And so he hissed in annoyance, “did what, Oh Sehun?” he spat. Baekhyun had no time to have a chit chat with people, he seriously wanted to sleep.

“Finding ways to hold his hand, what else?” Baekhyun didn’t miss the smirk plastered on the brat’s face. Oh that smug face, he really wanted to hurt it so badly. Baekhyun’s anger always used to overtake his other, nice side. Just like it did this time too.

“And what does it have to do with you, huh?” Baekhyun threw back at him, his arms tightened across his chest and he leaned back on the wall.

“Nothing at all. Keep going,” Sehun winked. “But remember, you can only date my best friend if you promise not to hurt him-- and make sure you don’t have a puppy.” He said and disappeared like wind from his vision real soon. He didn’t know what pleasure others get to interfere in someone’s personal life. It ain’t nobody’s business what he did or didn’t after all. And wait, did Chanyeol not like puppies? Why did Sehun say such a thing? It couldn’t be true, right? Baekhyun wondered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And for the rest of day at college, Chanyeol didn’t get to see Baekhyun. He went home earlier than usual, as a small puppy was waiting for him in his lonely apartment. Well, he couldn’t blame anyone else for his this loneliness, and by no mean he hated it. It was his sole decision to start living alone once he graduated from high school, he wanted to be independent. His parents were rich if not the richest, owning a big house in Gangnam district, running successful businesses. Even his elder sister, Yoora had settled down in New York with her husband, it was his turn now to grow up by his own.

 

His medium sized rented apartment was easily feasible from college, but it was not in the best locality in Seoul. However this was all that he could afford from his pay that he earned through writing blogs on music and food.

The moment he stepped inside his apartment, he was jumped on by a small ball of fur, whom he happily cuddled up in his arms. Even though his allergy was showing signs that it was the time he should make a distance, he knew that small puppy was lonely all the day in his apartment and needed at least a single hug.

“I can’t believe someone can be so careless to lose you, right baby?” he cooed at the pup.

Chanyeol kept the puppy on his one arm against his chest as he removed his shoes, and took a glass of water to drink. Chanyeol held it close even when he settled on sofa to relax a bit. He only let it go when he decided it was the time for him to shower, as he hugged the puppy a way too much, chance of allergy were high, also he was tired from being in college all the day. A warm, relaxing shower was all he needed.

 

 

 

“Did you really find him, hyung? Baekhyun was practically screaming through the speaker of his phone.

“Well not exactly, there is a small clinic for animals, the doctor working there is looking for the owner of a lost corgi puppy. I think it is our Mong, Baekhyun.”

“So when are we going to pick him up?”

“Well we are still not sure if it is him or not. The doctor said someone else is taking care of him, so first he will send us a pic to confirm. And then if we're sure it is our puppy, we can come and take him.”

“So when is he going to send us a pic? I can't wait!”

“Keep patience. He said by tonight. Okay? I'll call you once I confirm it is our pup. Okay, bye now. Take care.”

 

Baekhyun couldn't express how happy he was after the conversation he had with his elder brother. Since last ten days there was no news of his pet dog and now there was a hope, it was enough to give Baekhyun his lost happiness back.

 

“I'll get you soon. Just wait for me, Mongryong,” he whispered lowly, not to make much noise. He needed to tell Jongdae soon as he was really worried along with him. And to Chanyeol too—no, cancel that, Chanyeol didn't like puppies, he wouldn't mention it, he decided.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day, in his lecture that he shared with Baekhyun, Chanyeol was happy to see a smiling Baekhyun, unknown to the reason of this beautiful smile. Somehow, a smiling Baekhyun made a smile appear on his own face too. He silently took a seat next to his crush, drawing the attention towards him. And a happy Chanyeol made Baekhyun even happier. Baekhyun laughed, softly and shifted his left hand to grab Chanyeol’s right one, “It is almost healed, yeah?” His cold hand felt hot once it contacted Chanyeol’s warm one.

 

“Yeah, it is,” Chanyeol replied, not bothering to pull his hand back, he liked it like this—no, in fact he loved it. He loved the way how right their hands felt against each other, for so many times in the past three days. It was so perfect, just like Chanyeol always imagined in his daydreams.

And it was Baekhyun’s gorgeous smile, and his gorgeous hand that made him less self-conscious, and he didn’t really give a damn about anything else at that moment.

 

“Speak about yourself, Baekhyun. You look so happy today, what’s the occasion?” Chanyeol asked, feeling a little bit of courage in his heart, his tone was firm, nevertheless soft, and gentle, just like him.

 

“Chanyeol I'm really so happy. You see I-”

‘But remember, you can only date my best friend if you promise not to hurt him-- and make sure you don’t have a puppy’

 

Baekhyun stopped after remembering Sehun’s words. He definitely can't tell about his puppy to Chanyeol. But he didn't want to lie either. So he decided to settle in between. “Ah.. you see Chanyeol, there is someone really dear to me whom I lost. But now I have found him, so I'm going to meet him soon.” he replied curtly.

 

‘So the rumors about him were true.. he actually has a boyfriend.. what was I even thinking.. how can someone like him will actually like me back?’

Chanyeol maintained his smiling face, he didn't let his facial gestures change, if anything, he faked a wider smile, “I'm so happy for you Baekhyun… no wonder you were looking so down since past 2 weeks.” He said, now looking away and concentrating at the teacher’s words.

Chanyeol slyly managed to pull back his hand from Baekhyun’s grip, making sure that his crush didn't notice. However, his this effort was futile, as soon as he pulled back to settle it on his own lap, Baekhyun’s smile faded, but Chanyeol’s eyes were no more on Baekhyun’s face to notice that.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol went back to his home with a heavy heart, he didn't know why he was feeling so depressed over a love story that didn't even start. “Hold on, Yeol,” he said to himself, “it's not like you were his boyfriend and he dumped you or something.”

At least he still had the puppy to hug.

The small corgi noticed his sadness, he immediately settled on top of Chanyeol’s lap, making his lips curled into a small smile. Chanyeol was happy, at least he had someone by his side.

It wasn't soon when Yixing messaged him over kakaotalk .

 

From Yixing

If you're home, please click and send a pic of that puppy. Someone contacted me today saying his younger brother lost his corgi.

 

 

Chanyeol’s face dropped a little, he didn't want to let go of his only support this soon. With a heavy heart, he sent Yixing pic of the sleeping puppy on his lap. He wished the Universe to give him a negative reply, he wanted to hear, ‘Chanyeol that's not him. Looks like we need to wait a couple of days more.”

 

 

About half an hour later, he got a reply from Yixing, and his heart pounded in sadness.

 

From Yixing: That's him Chanyeol, it's their puppy. They said they'll come tomorrow in the evening to pick the puppy up. His name is Mongryong. Make sure to bring him to me by tomorrow’s evening

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter