Mi Culpa

Golden School

 

 

 

Requested by:
🍌

Characters:
Lee Daeyeol, Kim Jiyoung (o/c)

Brief Descriptions:

 Have you ever wondered how you will leave a mark in this world? Have you ever thought what will happen if no one knew that you are gone?
A girl who wanted someone to find her, but has given up with her life already. Now she just wants to leave her memoirs and hope that someday, someone can finally know who she is. One day, there will be a person who will mourn for her death and stop remembering her as someone who's perfect as she was never that person. She is broken and torn into pieces.
Then fate had done it once again, Lee Daeyeol got to find his way to the answer to the mystery that he found. Will he be too late to fix everything?

 

 




 

"Good Morning!" Everyone can hear the lively voice of Kim Jiyoung.

She is the smartest, most popular, kindest, and brightest student ever. Anyone would say that she is the perfect student ever. But they never know that what she's hiding.


 




It was a normal day for Lee Daeyeol. He always get competitive with Jiyoung but he doesn't care that much about her. Well, he is somehow interested with her because she is beautiful and kind but he never thought of having such emotions towards her, or towards anyone at all.

Daeyeol is doing some research for his subject so he decided to visit the school library during his free time. He stared at all these old and new books that are stacked beautifully on the shelves. He loves the smell of books and the scent of old paper.

He was looking at the part of the library that no one visits. He searched through shelves one by one then he saw something hidden behind the books. There was a book misplaced, seems like it was intentionally hidden but he wondered why he can see it now. He's been here before and it's the first time he saw the book.

Then he noticed something odd with this one book. It was so old, even the desing for the book cover was old and there was no label or anything like all the books that are owned by the library. He took it and opened the pages, it wasn't a book really. It was full of scribbles and photos.

Daeyeol started reading the first page.

"If anyone would read this, then you get to know the secret I've been hiding. There is nothing perfect in this world, and even the brightest star in the sky can be dead for a thousand years ago for all we know."

He got chills just from reading it. Was it written by someone who's dead now? What the hell did he found here?


 




Jiyoung is expecting a beautiful night after 11 years she was born into the world. Her parents has promised her that they would bring the girl to a special dinner tonight. Jiyoung whom celebrate her birthday at school earlier with tons of present given by her school friends were so excited to have those presents in her car at the moment.

Her mum told her too many times already that she should leave the present behind when they go to dinner but Jiyoung who was a hard-headed girl, it's impossible for her to follow the instructions. She was just so excited for her birthday.

It's really cold tonight. Jiyoung wore three layers of clothing to cope with the cold weather. She sits at the back seat with her parents infront, "Turn on the radio," Jiyoung said to her dad. Instead of her dad, her mum the radio on his behalf. 'Be Mine' by Infinite was playing on the radio at the moment. It's Jiyoung's favourite song.

She sang with all of her heart to the song, she didn't realize that the balloon she had slipped out from her hand causing it to go to the front seat. Her father who was driving the car didn't know about the existence of the balloon as he was too immersed with his driving. All he knows, the moment when the balloon suddenly popped out infront of him and startled him causing he lost control on the car.

When he managed to get rid of the balloon, all he could see in front was a truck heading towards their car. He tried to avoid the truck with all his might but end up hitting the divider of the road causing the car to completely crashed by it.

It's dark. There's nothing Jiyoung could see at the moment. She slowly opened her eyes to see there's a boy who was crying while having her on his lap, "Are you okay?" The little boy asked, probably at the same age as her, "Mum, she's awake!" He shouted as if he called for his mother.

His mother rushed herself to the boy and take a look at Jiyoung, "Just wait for a little bit, ambulance will come soon," And that's the last words she heard before she lost her consciousness.

The moment she woke up, she was alone on the hospital bed with no one around her. Woking up to know the fact that she has been left behind by both of her parents who died in the accident shattered her heart into pieces.

Jiyoung was only a 11 years old girl who still needs love, care and attention from both of her parents. But now that they're gone, how is she going to handle with the pain and continue with her live?

Who knows she would lost her parents on the same day she was born into the world?

It's not fair. Life is unfair.

Jiyoung wakes up from this nightmare everyday. Everytime she opens her eyes she keeps on wishing it was just a bad dream and that her parents are still alive. But aa she looks at her phone to check the date, she sees that it is six years since that tragedy happened. Six years had passed and there she is, alone in this big cruel world.

She gets ready to school, she puts on a smile again and acts like everything in her life is fine.

Today is her birthday and it's time for her to add something to the book. The book where she leaves her memoirs in hopes rhat someone will find out about her grief and misery.


 




Daeyeol took the book containing all the confessions of someone he doesn't know. All he can read from it is that "It was my fault. I'm so stupid and all I ever did in my life is to make others suffer."

Whoever wrote this, Daeyeol can't help but feel bad. He hopes that he can find this person and that he can do something to help her.

Then he got to the part where the person wrote something about how balloons scare her. Like a simple balloon had caused her life to turn upside down.

"I still have nightmares from it.

I still believe it is my fault.

If I listened just for once, then that balloon wouldn't be there.

Then my whole life, my family, they will all be here.

But I'm left with the memory of the balloon popping.

Like my life is just a fragile sphere of air that burst and can't be fixed ever again."

It is so dark, the words conveys how much pain the writer had.

Because he's too curious he goes to the end of the book and found the last memoir written by the owner.

"If someday you find this, If someone would know about this. Don't find me." Daeyeol can't continue reading it without being scared. He needs to go back to his class now, but all he can think of now is that girl. He took the book and luckily it was small enough to fit inside his bag.

His thoughts drifted to the girl that must be crying now, must be hurting inside. Where is she? Is it possible that she's still alive?


 




Jiyoung found the book, and wrote her last memoir.

"If someday you find this. If someone would know about this. Don't find me. I'm saying goodbye to this world now. I'm going to meet my family now. I just hope that before I go, I can leave something so the world will know that behind all those smiles there is this someone that I kept hidden. This someone who tried and endure all the pain and trauma. Everything I wrote here, it reveals who I am.

I am Kim Jiyoung. Finally, I can rest."

She returns the book back to it's hiding place then leaves. She tried hard not to look back and regret leaving a piece of her in this world.


 




After Daeyeol's class ended he leaves immediately and goes to the rooftop. It was a place where he gets to find peace. For some reasons, the rooftop was made off-limits to student but Daeyeol found a way to get inside it and he enjoyed how no one gets to bother him here.

He opened the book and resumed reading.

"I am Kim Jiyoung. Finally, I can rest." It says at the end.

"Kim Jiyoung." Daeyeol said to himself. He gets his phone and search for the name.

He scrolled a few times ignoring some unrelated searches. Then he found one headline.

"Girl in Coma After Jump Off from School Rooftop,"

He read the news with full of attention, "But this is our school though," He frowned his eyebrows to see a familiar rooftop on the newspaper, "But why I never know about this?" It has been 3 years since Daeyeol is in the school but why he never heard about the news? Or it's just simply because he never care about what happened around him?

Daeyeol's eyes swifted to the date written on the top of the news article "6th of September, 2017," He started to count the month using his fingers, "That's only few months ago." 

"No. It can't be." Daeyeol said. He dropped the book and stood there thinking that he is much closer to the owner of the book. Goosebumps and the cold wind embraced Daeyeol as he realized that she might be dead.

"Kim Jiyoung is-" He covers his mouth as he chokes with the word "dead". He can't say it out loud. He feels sick.

He ran back to the library, he wanted to get rid of the book and return it to where he found it. When he got back to the library, it's already closed and the librarian was there, about to leave.

Having no idea what to do, Daeyeol impulsively asked the librarian.

"Do you know anything about Kim Jiyoung?" He can't believed he asked that but he really need to know.

"Oh. That student. I remember her. She is the best student I met, well you are too. You are almost similar, smart and studious. But sadly, she fell from the rooftop a few months ago." The librarian answered. There was despair in her voice.

"Is she?" Daeyeol asked. He waited for the librarian's reply and then Daeyeol got the answer he wants to his question.


 




Jiyoung was ready to jump. Ready to meet her parents, but when she did, a little spark of hope lit up inside her. The image of that little boy who hugged her when she was dying flashed in front of her eyes. Her arms instinctively grabbed at the edge of the rooftop. But it was too late. She's already falling. The world dissolved around her and once again she felt no control about her life and how it will end.

"Sorry." was all she said before she hits the ground.


 




Daeyeol was crying while he holds the book tightly.

"She's still alive. I need to see her. I can do something." Daeyeol read the part about the accident from the book. Jiyoung was the girl he saved from the car accident a few years ago. He can't believe it but he get to give her another chance in life before. He doesn't know if he did something good for her by saving her life or if he just made her suffer for staying and living her life alone?

"No. I can do something. I can still help her. But how?" Daeyeol asked himself.

When he arrived at the hospital, he was lucky that he knows someone and that he get to have a chance to visit Jiyoung.

She looks beautiful. They said that the bruises from her face are all gone now and that it was her legs that got damaged by her fall.

Daeyeol thought how would that be possible, if she wanted to die then her whole body would be broken into pieces. "She must have changed her mind the last minute and tried to grab on the edge for her to get those kind of injury." Daeyeol thought.

"Why is she still unconcious?" Daeyeol asked his doctor friend.

"We can't say for sure. She should be awake by now because she didn't get any head injuries. It was a miracle really, but also a mystery why she's still unconcious."

Daeyeol stared at Jiyoung's sleeping face. She looks peaceful, very different from the girl Daeyeol imagined when he read the book.

"I'll go now, you can stay here. No one visits her." Daeyeol nods as his friend leaves the room.

Daeyeol opens the book again and this time a small piece of paper fell. There it was, a sketch of Jiyeong together with her parents. Daeyeol can't keep his tears from falling. At the back of the paper Jiyoung's handwriting can be seen.

"I'm still hoping for a better life. There must be a reason why that boy had saved me. But I miss you, mom and dad. I really do. I want to see you. But if there is still someone out there who can join me in this life and make me feel human again, I might stay. I can stay and try."

Daeyeol can't continue reading it. He prays that he wasn't too late. He felt a deep connection with this girl, he watched her recover when they were still kids. He watched her wake up from being comatose from the car accident years ago. And now he wants to see her wake up from this.

"Wake up. I'm here. I won't go. I won't leave you again. I'm sorry." Daeyeol holds her hand. He felt it move as soon his warmth touched the coldness inside Jiyoung.

 

 

.