will you stay or leave?

Childhood friends

"Hyojin!" a familiar voice sounded from behind Hyojin, too familiar but never sick of it. He turned around with the edge of his lips spreaded wide to his ears on both sides and waved to Seungjun that was clumsily locking his house gate.

"what took you so long?" Hyojin said, "Had to poop?"

"lol shut up, let's go, class starts in 10 minutes" Seungjun snapped and started running towards the direction of their school.

"you were the one taking your own sweet time wtf" Hyojin snapped back trying to catch up to the younger. 

"hahahhhaa the last to step in the school gate buys lunch" Seungjun shouted without turning back and sped up his pace. He could hear hyojin's trademark laugh from the back and also the sound of faster running footsteps. 

It's a typical routine for them. Joking around and trying to beat each other in every minor challenges they can think of. They start off the day together and would end it together too. So much of their time were spent together that it felt weird without having the other around. Days and years went by but the bond they shared never changed. However as they grew older, they started to understand more about feelings, feelings for freinds, family, the hawker stall lady, and lastly feelings for someone they love, for hyojin, that someone have always been seungjun and will always be. For seungjun, well, he knew but he hid them deep down and chose to believe that it was because they have a strong bond as childhood friends, that's all, nothing much, nothing less. Or maybe he just didn't want a mistake to ruin what they have right now. 

"Hey" Hyojin broke the silence. Both of them were spending one of those deep thought nights on the rooftop, laying down on a bamboo mat and looking at the breathtaking night sky. 

"hmm" Seungjun hummed.

"What did you write in the 'target college' section for the form today?" Hyojin asked with a calm tone. He was pretty sure they would end up in the same college, both of them loved music and have talked about how they would be working together in the future countless times. It's like an unspoken vow between them that they would stay together till the very end. 

"I took your form and copied everything" Seungjun said and turned his head towards hyojin "I thought you knew."

"Just to be sure" hyojin turned to his sides and met Seungjun's eyes. Smiling happily at the only view he thought was more beautiful than the sky. "Thought you might leave me."

"ew hyojin I didn't know you were this clingy" Seungjun scoffed looking away from hyojin's gaze, feeling a shock of wave ran through his body. 

"Well, we did agree to stay together right?" hyojin said, disappointed in how short the eye contact was. 

"I hope so but sometimes reality just kicks in that we'll have our own ways and family someday, we might slowly drift apart." Seungjun voiced out what he had in his mind for a long time. He did not mean it in any way to hurt hyojin though. He didn't know about hyojin's feelings despite being the person that understood the older the most. He himself didn't want themselves to drift apart as much as hyojin wants them to stay together till the end. Sadly, hyojin took it the wrong way. That one sentence was enough to make hyojin think that maybe seungjun didn't have the same thought in their developing friendship. For the first time ever, hyojin felt that they were standing in front of a crossroad, both facing towards a different direction leading to different destinations. 

"I've never thought of that though"  Hyojin said sitting up from his position. Something about the atmosphere in these kind of nights that made him a very honest and straightforward person. 

"what do you mean?" 

"i mean what i said seungjun, you heard me"

"I understand but-"

"we are like a family now arent we? I'm satisfied with how things are now, I dont need a new family, not now, not in the future, not ever. I wanna stay like this"

"hyojin, you cant be serious. We're a different story."

"How are we a different story?" Hyojin's voice started to tune up, more anxious as he turned facing seungjun again.

"hyojin.." Seungjun could feel it now upon looking at hyojin's expression. He could feel the feelings the elder was trying to express towards himself and this made the feelings he had for the older struggling itself to resurface. Seungjun was scared of the reality, the way the world thinks and how the society looks upon people like himself. This was enough to make him always push his feelings down to the very corner of his heart, hoping that it'll be left forgotten soon. However seeing Hyojin acting like this, he didn't know anymore. 

Hyojin finally broke "because I'm a guy?"

Seungjun did not respond.

"is that it?" the older continued with more sense of disappointment in his voice.

Seungjun was in a total shock despite knowing where their conversation was heading towards. 

"I did-" He tried a reply but was cut off with a angry hyojin stomping off and muttering something about 'forget it'.

Hyojin was on a whole new level of being emotional that night for as long as Seungjun knew him. He knew he messed up and felt like he knew why hyojin was upset but at the same time he doesn't, you get the idea, he was confused af, about himself and hyojin. He decided to brush it off in hopes that hyojin will reuturn to his usual self the next morning and everything will return to how they've always been.  

-Next morning-

To Seungjun's disbelief, Hyojin left for school before him. He knew because he always checked from his room window if hyojin was already waiting for him outsid but today, he was greeted with hyojin's back diminishing down the alley. This is bad. The routine that they've kept for so long was broken. If one of their routine changes, wouldn't everything come crumbling down in the end? Seungjun didn't want the ending he's imagining right now, that natural sense of not wanting things to change between him and the older strengthened the feelings that's trying hard to resurface. It's pounding at the door of Seungjun's heart, begging to be accepted and released from so-called dungeon. 

Seungjun ran out and tried to catch up to Hyojin and called out his name to get attention form the older. Hyojin stopped for a split second and started sprinting off, Seungjun scoffed. The one thing he knew for sure that he can beat Hyojin in is speed, that was why Hyojin have always been the one buying lunch whenever they have competitive events related to quickness. Seungjun caught up with hyojin in no time and grabbed hyojin's backpack making the older stop and gave up. 

"wtf hyojin? What's with you being so out of it today?" Seungjun said in a tone careful not to gather attention from by-passers but enough to make sure hyojin know that he's annoyed.

Hyojin stayed silent, looking down at his own shoes. 

"Look at me you idiot." Seungjun snapped. "you're never like this. act like yourself"

Hyojin looked up and snapped too "how do you expect me to act like after the conversation we had last night?"

"What's the big deal with our conversation last night?" the younger asked. He needed more assureness and strength to push away his worries about reality. Strength to accept his true feelings and he knew he could dig up all the strength from Hyojin just by a few more push.

He continued "Why are you getting so worked up if we're gonna drift apart? It's natural isnt it?!". He wanted to know how strong Hyojin's feelings were. 

Hyojin looked really upset and hurt and Seungjun grabbed both of hyojin's shoulders making him face himself directly.

"Talk to me." Seungjun said calming down his tone.

"Let's just leave it seungjun." Hyojin said weakly. " I dont want to feel this exhausted early in the morning."

"ohw so talking to me exhausting now?!" 

"let go of me seungjun" Hyojin said trying to brush off seungjun's hands on his shoulders. 

"If you're expecting something from me, just tell me. I don't like the way we're heading towards now." Seungjung said. He wanted answers.

"I don't expect anything from you." 

"That's not what it sounded like last night."

"It's what it exactly sounds like to me."

"Don't lie to me"

"Im not"

"You're being very distant now."

"Isn't that what you wanted? "

Seungjun stopped. Replaying what hyojin just said in his head. At that moment, he knew Hyojin misunderstood his words last night. He felt guilty for making Hyojin felt like they were drifting apart at some point. At the same time it made him realise how much it would hurt if hyojin left, if they were not able to get back to the way they used to be. 

"I never said that." Seungjun's voice softened 

Hyojin was surprised by the sudden tone change in Seungjun's voice. 

"then what do you want?" Hyojin replied, toning down his emotions too.

"I want you to tell me everything"

Hyojin stayed silent looking back down to his shoes. Seungjun let go of Hyojin's shoulders and held his hands, squating down so he could look at Hyojin. 

"so?"

"I don't know" Hyojin said after a while of thinking and his eyes started to tear up. 

Seungjoon knew how much Hyojin always tries to bite back his tears, even now. Seungjoon got up and hugged hyojin softly with Hyojin's head buried in the hem of his neck. Not long after, Seungjoon could feel his uniform started damping followed by adjacent sobs. He reached out one of his hands and started patting the back of Hyojin's head. Seungjun's senses came alive and couldnt help but notice how Hyojin's hair was as soft as ever and how he still smelled like spring blossoms ever since they were kids.

After who knows how long, Seungjoon could hear Hyojin trying to choke some words out in between his sobs but failed miserably. Seungjoon retreated from the hug and searched for tissues from his bag.

"calm down first, don't have to rush it" seungjoon said softly and handed over Hyojin the tissues. 

Hyojin seems to have calmed down a little after clearing up his face. 

"alright okay" hyojin said and left out nervous laugh trying to refresh himself.

"everything?" he continued.

"yea" 

"like always?" 

"yes like always" 

"hahaha" hyojin didn't even know where to start. But then again, he's only ever not tell Seungjun 2 things tho. The fact that he's gay and the fact that he's gay for the younger. That's because he thought his feelings for Seungjun have always shown through his actions, even an idiot would realise it. 

"I've basically told you everything tho" Hyojin said looking at Seungjun.

Seungjun knew too well that Hyojin would never admit stuff like these himself. The look Hyojin gave him drove his nerves mad but thanks to that Seungjun finally decided that -what-world-would-think-of-us was the best idea to keep the love of his life around for centuries. He had enough of all the pounding of desperation that were coming from his chest, he's letting them out right now. 

"You like me" Seungjun said looking straight into Hyojin's eyes.

"I cannot believe you said that without a question mark" Hyojin said with his eyes widened looking straight back at Seungjun. He was happy that the idiot finally realised that fact but he never knew how embarassed he can get at moments like these. 

"That's what you haven't told me, isn't it?" 

"Action speaks louder than words", Hyojin said looking away.

"I like you too" Seungjun confessed and Hyojin stonned.

"I know just like you like everyone else" Hyojin said, trying to convince himself that this isnt happening. TOO SUDDEN. 

"no hyojin" Seungjun said being a little restless with Hyojin's stubbornness "took me some time but I really like you, like like like" 

"no you don't like like me" Hyojin said with a bit of stuttering, he wasn't sure if he is entirely convinced by the situation. He slowly smiled by the end of his sentence though. Name a more loving situation than having your feelings reciprocrated to Hyojin. You can't. He would flip. With that smile, Seungjun too confirmed that both of their feelings were genuine to each other and there's no need to act so dramatic anymore. He found his answers and Hyojin found out the truth, they returned back to how they always were but this time with hints of being love birds. 

"as far as I know I probably like liked you first" Seungjun said as he held Hyojin's hands again, tighter than ever before. 

"no seungjun you can't like like me first" Hyojin's face started to heat up while this conversation went on. He didn't like the idea of Seungjun liking him first but did'nt realise until recently, while he himself have shown affection since the very beginning. 

"ok then I love you" this came out of no where from Seungjun, making Hyojin blush harder. 

" that's not fair" hyojin frowned "I wanted to say it first" 

"as if you could" seungjun said with a sense of victory and gave a satisfacted expression. Hyojin leaned in and gave a quick peck on seungjun's lips. 

"beat this"  hyojin said and smirked 

Seungjun's face burned up entirely and looked all around them to see if anyone's watching. He thanked the heavens that school had strict punctuality rules and everyone by this time have already has their asses sitting on the classroom chairs, which also means they are late af. 

" we're late" Seungjun splurted, letting go of Hyojin's hands in embarrasment. 

"wtf" hyojin said eyes widened.

"yes ikr lets go" seungjun said trying to head off.

Hyojin grabbed seungjun's wrist and exclaimed in disbelief "I SAID WTF?!" 

"What??" Seungjun turned back with his face still in the shade of a ripped tomato. 

"I JUST ING KISSED YOU AND YOU'RE WORRIED ABOUT BEING LATE?!" Hyojin knew Seungjun can be disappointing sometimes but this is not acceptable.

To be honest, Seungjun was just trying to run away. He's never good in lovey dovey situations so running away have always been his first option. At the same time though both of them are model students but only Seungjun was obsessed with that title. Knowing Hyojin, he would never let him off until he gives him a satisfied explanation. There was no time for explanation, he needed that full attendance. He then cupped hyojin's cheeks and kissed him hard, hoping that it works as an exlanation. Hyojin stumbled forward, eyes widened and not sure where to put his hands. Their worlds fell away. His hands went to the back of hyojin's ears while his thumbs started caressing his cheeks as their kiss softens into a deep and passionate one. Hyojin then finally comes back to his senses and angled his head to relax into the kiss. Both with their eyes closed, cherishing the scenario that they have never imagined to be happening right now. 

Seungjoon traced his hands down hyojin's spine and stopped right above his hips. He pulled hyojin's body towards himself with much force. Hyojin gasped and his hands unconsciously moved up to Seungjun's chest. He could feel Seungjun's lips curved upwards through the kiss and he himself smiled too. 

Seungjun then broke off the kiss and rested his forehead onto hyojin's, both of them out of breath. 

"you do realize I still want my full attendance right?" Seungjun said jokingly 

Hyojin rolled his eyes in frustration that Seungjun broke the mood. He pushed seungjun's chest away and stomped off towards the alley. Seungjun literally laughed out loud as he watched Hyojin acting like himself again. 

"Babe wait up" seungjun shouted.

Hyojin turned back and shot him a look "im not your babe!"

He liked the sound of it but would never admit it for the time being. Seungjun didn't mind because Hyojin's expression says it all.

"and you're buying lunch from today onwards" hyojin continued and ran off. 

Seungjun was more than blissed. He's never been this happy in his life and would turn back time just so he could make themselves realize their feelings for each other sooner. He ran towards Hyojin and hugged him from the back lifting him off the ground. Hyojin squeeled and laughed, at the same time claiming that Seungjun is an annoying and stuff. 

The day went by perfect. They sat together in class, took glances at each other during lessons, secretly held hands at the back of the class, Seungjun for the first time ever bought lunch and sharing short kisses when no one was watching. While walking home together that evening, instead of putting each other in head locks, they held hands,clinging onto each other. Both of them never knew their hands could fit so perfectly in this way.

-Few months later-

"Hyojin quick!" Seungjun rushed impatiently. It was the day their college entrance exam results are out. Their results were pinned up on the notice board in school and nobody was as desperate as Seungjun when it comes to these stuff. 

"I know just let me get my bag" hyojin said throwing his bag over his shoulder with a piece of bread clipped in between his lips. 

Seungjun held hyojin's hand and started running once the older was close enough. Hyojin was a mess. His hair not styled, bread almost falling out of his mouth, his uniform not properly tucked in and most of all his heart was a mess looking at the back view of Seungjun. He thought Seungjun looked really cool and was delighted that only he himself get to see this side of the younger. 

Both of them ended up in the top 9 (SEE WHAT I DID THERE HAHAHAHA MIXNINE REF FIGHT ME). Once again, accepted into the same college in Seoul, WM University of Creative Arts. They moved to the city and living in the same dorm. Now that they are flatmates and has the unit all to themselves, I'll just leave what they would do together to your own imagination (smirks with raising eyebrows). 

AND THEY LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER YAY BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW HOW TO END A STORY . forgive me tho, I really tried. 

 

 

Authornim's confession section:

OK but. I really didn't know who would top or bottom for this ship BUT AS I WAS WRITING, SEUNGJUN BECAME MORE OF A POTENTIAL TOP CANDIDATE WTF?! tell me what you guys think lmao HAHHAAHAHA 

This one shot is honestly quite ty cuz the beginning is super lengthy AND not well organized as a whole But i cant get myself to rethink a ing storyline. IM OUT! THANKS FOR READIN THIS SUPER lame fanfic guys. i know there's not much choices when it comes to ONF's fanfics. be patient :') someday there'll be millions of them. so for now IF YOU MAY, LET ME TRY AND GIVE YOU SOME!!! MUCH LOVE