Ch 1

Like We Used To...

“Approximately 10 minutes left.”

 

As if we aren’t already panicking with the amount of problems that we need to answer, the proctor found it necessary to countdown until the last minute before we have to pass our answer sheets. To make matters worse, as I looked down at my paper, there are still at least one-third that are left unanswered.

 

Determined to decrease the number of items that I’ll have to put “0” as an answer to in hopes that a miracle happens and one or more of them is “0”, I skimmed the problems and tried solving in the fastest way that I can.

 

“If the Cost Incurred To Date is 700,000 and the Estimate Cost to Complete is 1,500,000 then the Total Estimated Cost would be…”

 

I wasn’t even able to press the equal sign on the calculator yet before our proctor decided to announce that it was already time to pass the papers.

 

“Time’s up. Please pass the papers in 10,..”

 

“9…”

 

“8…”

 

“!” I screamed in my head. In fear of getting my paper rejected if I didn’t pass my answers on time, I finalized everything with my black pen and immediately gave it to the proctor.

 

Quietly, I got my things and left the room. Funny thing is, the exam my energy dry that my knees actually felt weak. It was like I went out for a 5km run instead of a 3-hour long exam.

 

As I was making my way down the stairs, right on cue, my phone vibrated. And just like that, a smile formed on my face after seeing my roommate’s name on the caller ID.

 

“Yeobose-yo?”

 

“Unnie! How was your exam?”

 

It’s exactly like her to be this loud even on the phone. I’m honestly surprised that I haven’t gone deaf yet. It’s been years since we became roommates and she’s been extremely loud even from the start.

 

“Hello to you too Seungwan-ah. And it was fine. Exhausting, but fine.” I replied with a laugh.

 

“Oh please! We both know you did great in that exam.”

 

“Please spare me with the unnecessary praises. What is it that you need?”

 

“Ha. Ha. Ha.” She laughed embarrassingly knowing that she was caught. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I really just wanted to ask about your exam.”

 

“Come on. We’ve known each other and lived together for years. I know you won’t be calling unless you’re going to ask something from me. So spill it before I get too lazy to do anything.”

 

“Fine. No use denying anything now that you’ve caught on.” She sighed in defeat. “So there’s this event today that I NEED to attend to but forgot about until earlier this morning when Sooyoung called to ask me what I would be wearing.”

 

“And what do I have to do about that event?” I inquired in confusion because I honestly can’t see myself in that scenario at all.

 

“You see, it’s not the event that I’m concerned about right now. Remember that bag that I ordered for my Umma’s birthday? I have to meet the seller later at 6 o’clock and I don’t think I can make it. So what I’m really asking is if you could meet her instead for me.”

 

My brows furrowed still looking for the reason why it has to be me. “Can’t you just reschedule the meet-up then? Tell her that you have an emergency schedule that popped up or something.”

 

“Well to be honest, I’ve been postponing this meet-up for a week already and the seller might get mad if I reschedule for the 3rd time. I really need that bag and she’s the only one that has it available in time for Umma’s day.”

 

I can’t help but face-palm after hearing her explanation. “You do know that it’s just 4:30 in the afternoon right?”

 

“I know and I’m really sorry for it. Don’t worry, it’s just 2 hours and you’ll only be meeting at the store at the back of the university and not somewhere else. If you look at it this way, you can just wait inside the uni and eat your favorite cheese and bacon meal or simply use the uni’s amazingly fast wi-fi connection. Or if you’re feeling like it, you can even do some studying within that time. To top all that, you’ll be inside an air-conditioned area and not outside with the scorching heat.”

 

If you don’t know Seungwan well enough, you’d think that she’s a sales person with her way with words instead of someone who is majoring in medicine.

 

“You’re using your sales-talk tone with me again! Stop it! And do you realize that I just got out of an exam? Why am I going to study again?!” I scolded her upon realizing what she’s doing.

 

“Unnie!~” She whined as a last attempt to convince me knowing that I turn into putty when she goes like this.

 

Sighing heavily, I finally gave in.

 

“Alright. I’ll go and get the stupid bag.”

 

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You’re really the best!” She started babbling happily which made me laugh at how I can imagine how she looks like while saying that.

 

“Calm down you little chipmunk.” I . “I’m only doing this this once because I know you never procrastinate and there’s got to be an acceptable reason why you did this time okay? So don’t expect me to come and fix things like this all the time. Got it?”

 

Though I’m incredibly close with her, there will always be times that I can’t stop my inner Unnie-ness from showing.

 

“I understand. I promise this is the last time this happens. I was just really busy with the exams this week that I can’t exactly go out. I can’t even be bothered to go out for food and you know that since you’re the one always getting me something on your way home from uni.”

 

“I know. I know.” I told her remembering how stressed out she was because of the the exams.

 

“I got to go now Unnie, I still need to prepare for the event later. Sooyoung will be picking me up in 30 minutes. See yah later Joohyun Unnie. Saranghae-yo!”

 

“Arasso. And tell Sooyoung to drive safely okay. Nado.”

 

And with that, we ended the call and my 2 hour long wait begins.

 

 

Usually, while waiting for my next class to start, I always stay at the uni’s reading area. Not only is it quiet there but also, the wi-fi signal and the A/C are the best in that place. It’s perfect for someone like me who simply wants to chill in-between classes. Though of course, it’s also a great place to study for those who wants to.

 

So what better place to spend my 2 hours waiting in that place right?

 

Getting there, I realized that I forgot to consider one thing. And that is the volume of students that are currently using the area as well for last minute reviewing since it is examination week after all.

 

I scanned the room carefully hoping that there would be at least one vacant seat. Luckily, I found one. Though it is situated in the middle of the long table that occupies 3 persons each side, I didn’t care anymore and simply excused myself from those at the aisle so I can pass through.

 

What surprised me was that the one sitting at my right is someone that I know from one of my previous classes during my early years in university. And as if this day isn’t eventful enough, right there, sitting in front of my former classmate is another person that I’m more than certain that I know.

 

As a matter of fact, saying that I just know her is a complete understatement on what we are to each other. Or better yet, what we were.

 

Probably still unaware of my presence, she had her head still bowed down, completely focused on her review materials. As much as I wanted not to, I can’t seem to stop myself from staring. Banking on the thought that she doesn’t know that I’m there, I continued to discreetly stare.  

 

Overwhelmed with emotions from actually seeing you again after years, I unconsciously whispered your name.

 

“Kang. Seulgi.”

 

 

“Unnie, I’m home.” I heard Seungwan announce from the door of our room.

 

“Have you eaten?” Lazily lying on my bed, I asked her as she started fixing her things.

 

“Yup. Already done. How about you?” She asked turning her head back to look at me.

 

I haven’t said anything in reply yet but her brows were already meeting together and I’m not sure why so I asked.

 

“Why are looking at me like that?”

 

Slowly, and must I say, scarily, she started going towards my bed. “Something happened. What is it?”

 

“W-what are you talking about?” Backing away from her approaching figure, I stuttered.

  

She continued advancing until she reached the side of my bed and then started scrutinizing my face.

 

“Unnie, as much as you know me, I know you as well. I can tell from your face alone and your tone that something happened.” She even begun pointing at my eyes. “And look at those eyes. You obviously cried.”

 

Instinctively, I tried covering my eyes with my hands in an attempt to hide them from her prying eyes.

 

“N-no. I didn’t. You’re just seeing things.” I strongly denied.

 

“You can’t fool me Unnie. Based on the lack of take-out trash in our bin, you haven’t even eaten yet and don’t tell me you ate out because you never eat out without me or Sooyoung with you.” This time she pointed at my bedside clock. “It’s already 10pm and you haven’t had dinner yet so clearly something’s bothering you since you’re always the one who nags about eating on time and not missing meals.”

 

Knowing that there’s no way out of this since Seungwan would never let this go with how protective she gets with us; her friends, I sat with my legs crossed on my bed and inhaled deeply as I began telling her the truth.

 

“You know how I waited for your Umma’s gift right?”

 

She only nodded in response.

 

“Well, I waited inside the reading area like the usual and guess who was also there.” I said forcing a smile in hopes of lightening the issue.

 

And without the need to tell her any clues or whatnot, her eyes widened and were about to bulge out in disbelief. “Don’t tell me.”

 

The look on her face says it all. She knows who I’m talking about and even she couldn’t believe it. Or doesn’t want to. Being aware of this, I gently nodded my head with a tight-lipped smile.

 

“After 2 years. 2 years.” She exclaimed still overwhelmed with disbelief. “…”

 

Her reaction might not have changed anything but it certainly made me laugh.

 

“Yep. .” I copied her word still laughing only to be stopped by two hands strongly gripping on my shoulders.

 

“Unnie! This is not the time to be laughing you know!” Seungwan reprimanded me.

 

“I know! But if you can only see your face and how you said ‘’ you’ll also be laughing like me.” Taking her hands off of my shoulders I reasoned out.

 

As if all the life was drained out of her, she plopped herself beside me and instinctively, I leaned my head on her shoulders.

 

“She still looks the same, only more beautiful. It’s as if the last 2 years away made her blossom.” I confessed in all honesty and with a heavy sigh and closed eyes I asked. “Wan-ah, what am I supposed to do?”

 

Gently leaning against my head she asked, “About what Unnie?”

“About this feeling.” And with that, the tears that I thought already ran out came back along with that gnawing feeling inside my chest. “It still hurts but I still love her. So Wan-ah, what should I do?”

 

Without anything else to do and say, Seungwan wrapped me in her arms as I sobbed my heart out.

 

Seeing her again was like I was transported back to that time. That exact moment. That part where everything crashed and burned without any other casualties but myself. Every single emotion that I felt that time rushed towards me like an avalanche that I couldn’t ran away from. It hit me hard. It hit me so hard that I almost out.

 

What happened wasn’t something that I can forget or simply move on from. How could I when it’s the very thing that turned my world upside down? It affected my life in such a huge way that everyone around me also felt the brunt of its force.

 

With the way she looked, to think that the 2 years that passed was wonderful for her made me feel more pathetic. The thought that while my life completely spiraled downwards during those 2 years, it seems like she wasn’t even affected makes me feel sorry for myself. I guess I really meant nothing to her.

 

Why did you have to make me feel like I amounted to something when you’ll be discarding me easily like this as if I’m trash? Why do you make me feel so little and insecure?

 

But if there’s one question that I can ask you, it’s going to be ‘Why are you so unfair?’

 

Kang Seulgi, why are you so unfair that even if you hurt me like this I still love you?

 

Kang Seulgi why?