Endings and New beginnings

Dead Stars

  When could we say the stars were dead? When have lost their light? When they already seize to shine? They say most of the stars we see are at night, here on earth were distant stars, maybe some of them were on the verge of dying and some of them might have completely lost their light. Yet, some stars die and become an element to give birth to a new star, this only proves that the universe is vast, unpredictable and almost endless.

 

I woke up from the bright sunlight peeking through the curtains, my digital clock flashed 8:00 am. Great! I woke up late again. I glanced at my bed side I saw our picture during our graduation day. 9 years have passed since we have graduated from highschool, 9 years since have first met, a lot have changed, but everything feels like yesterday, the day when I first saw your face.

 

It was the first day of school. The hallway was packed with students eager to meet their friends, after a long break. Girls gossiping, boys running, almost everyone were talking about how great their vacation was. Then, there was I, sitting by the window with no one to talk to. It was our last year in highschool, and spending my last year with my friends would have been fun, but my father got promoted and we have to live in the city, that would also mean, me, transferring to a new school.

 

I remember how your laugh caught my attention. It was like a musical piece by a renowned musician. It was as if time has stopped and everyone just magically disappeared. Upon your entrance, almost everyone greeted you, just like those popular main characters in my favorite shoujo manga. I remember you entering our class room with your friends, thats when you noticed my and shouted " Eh? We have a new classmate?" Great, on my first day I'm a target of bullying, that was my thoughts at that time but you approached my table and said " Hi! My name is Kai! What's yours? Pretty Lady." You are not really from our class, I discovered that day, you just love to spend your free time in our room because of your friends. I also found out that you are the top student in our school and an athlete. After two days I got to know your real name, ah, it sounds like a name of a prince, just fitting for a prince like you.

 

I got startled from the loud noice from my phone, a call from... "Yes, Im on my way...No, I could drive myself...Baby, behave...Yes, I'm going to bring all of it... Bye, love you" I glaced at my watch, 10:00 a.m., I must leave already. I drove my car and passed by our favorite coffee shop, were we used to hangout with our friends or sometimes just the two of us. I memory of how you asked me to be your girlfriend flashed. It was nothing romantic but it was a day I would always remember.

 

It was just like any other day, full of schoolworks and club meetings and activities. During our break you asked me if I wanted to hangout with your friends after school. I was hesitant at first because I still have a lot to do at home plus I still have to attend cram school, but you promised we wont take long so I agreed. Your friends would always tease us about dating each other, well, usually you would just brush it off.

"Jongin and Aria sitting on the tree K-I-S-S-I-N-G, hahahaha!"

"Shut up, Chen!"
”Just date already!”

“And make pretty little babies!”
”Baek and Yeol, shut up, look you’re embarassing her!”

“But Hyung!!”

I’m always thankful for your older brother, Junmyeon-oppa, he always keeps them at bay to save me from embarassment.

"Yah! if you really want us to go out then fine!"

You held my hand and said " Aria, I really like you, will you be my girlfriend?" My whole world came into a sudden pause, it's like I am floating. It is as if I forgot how to speak so I just moved my head in approval. Your friends cheered for us, oohhs and ahhs as well as clapping of hands were heard, yet my eyes just focused on you and how they beamed in delight followed by your laugh. That laugh that made me fall for you in the first place. You held me in your arms and said "Thank you, and in case your in doubt, I am serious about this."

 

My phone flashed 10:30 a.m. then it rang for the nth time today.

"Hey! Noona."

"Oh! Nae? Dongsaengie"

"Our teammates are on their way. I called to ask you if you are alright?"

"Oh really? By the way. Thank you for your help and concern but, I am alright"

"Don't worry, I promised captain that..."

"Hunnie, stop. Im driving right now so bye"

"Yeah, drive safely, Annyeong!"

 

Thats Oh Sehun, remember the first year kid with eye glasses, the son of the lady who sells snacks near our school. He is now a part of a professional soccer team. He's the team captain now, yet he still calls you Captain. He would always say that where he is right now was because of you. If you haven't been so patient to him on training and giving advices maybe he wasn't able to achieve his dreams.

 

11:00 a.m., just wait I'm almost there. You can still wait right? You always do.

 

Remember that day when you patiently waited for me for almost 2 hours even of it was raining hard? That was our first date after high school, but I overslept. I arrived there with you standing under your umbrella shivering from the cold, but despite that you just evnveloped me in your arms while saying "I'm alright. As long as you came, it doesn't matter how long I would wait under the rain" I offered to buy new set of clean clothes for you to get changed, but being the stubborn guy you are, you refused unless you get to buy me something, too. So we ended up buying our couple ring.

 

I glanced at my ring finger, sometime I wonder if you really have planned to buy us that ring and the circumstances just agreed with your plan. It was still a mystery for me how come you brough a fair amount of money to buy a pair of Cartier ring when we agreed to just watch movies and have coffee. As usual, you nerver fail to surprise me.

 

12:00 noon I arrived at my destination. I saw your parents and as I approached them a little boy noticed me and shouted "Mommy!" He came running to me with your mother following shortly behind.

"Hello baby, did you missed mommy? Did you behave while staying at granny's house?"

"Yes, Granny bought me a lot of toys and Pops bought me a soccer ball"

"Really? Uncle Sehun and the others are coming, you can play with them..."

"How are you dear?"

"I'm fine mom. Thank you for taking care of Aiden for me."

"Don't worry. Besides how can I refuse this cute grandson of mine. Come his waiting for you."

As we approach, our son ran and said "Daddy, mommy's here already." As if on cue the wind blew to welcome me.

"Hey, love are you alright up there? You can jear me, right? Did I make you wait for a long time? haha sorry, I had to take my time. Did you see Aiden? He's 5 now, just like you he's fond of playing soccer. He looks like you actually. I hope He grows up like you too. 2 years have passed since you left and, still, I miss your presence, your hugs, your kisses and how you always make me feel special. Although, sometimes I would still cry myself to sleep, I am not slowly adjusting. I have to, for Aiden. Love, thank you for looking after me and our son. Thank you for giving me all your love, for staying with me, and for taking care of me, always. Thank you, for your friends, your parents and all the people who loves you, they were the family that I could always call my home..."

 

They say we could tell if the starts were dead when finaly they have lost their light and  if they seize to shine. But most of the stars we could see were distant stars. Some although out of our reach still shine in front of us. Yes, when a star dies it lost its light and stops to shine but It gives birth to a new star that would shine for a long time. "Goodbye for now my best friend, boyfriend, partner, and my one and only star. Until we meet again and shine together.”