Start and Finish

Coffee and Ramen
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Milk and sugar.

Just enough to coat and coax her sleep addled brain into the world of the living.

Coffee, was rich.

In aroma, in memory. In the touch that it left on her tongue; a familiarity.

Deep, musky aroma that surrounded her as she rested her head on her hand, eyes lazily gazing at a defined backside grating away. He would turn back every so often, almost to reassure himself that she was still there. Each time, she would blink her eyes leisurely allowing him a small smile, and the grating would continue.

Fresh grated coffee.

It meant more than she could express.

 

***

 

She took a small sip from her mug, full-bodied flavors welcoming her to the new day. The sun had just begun to peek over the horizon, casting long shadows on the face of blue-green mountains. She breathed deep, inhaling the silence of the morning.

Silence.

Both a blessing and a curse; she always respected it.

On mornings like this she would often find herself the second one to stir out of bed, still holding onto the soreness in her body in fond memory of the night before. Other times, she would find herself wrapped up in strong arms, with lips whispering soft kisses onto her forehead, and eyes that had gotten up long before her.

Today, she stood alone at the window, listening to the deep inhale and exhale of the rhythm that remained ingrained within the cavity of her chest, even when he was gone. She brought the cup to again, closing her eyes as she tasted.

Deep, rich breaths on marked necks, arched backs, curled toes, gentle caresses, and heavy eyelids.

A hold like steam that wrapped around her waist, lifting and lifting until she could give no more.

Nutty-sweet whispers in her ears.

Arms slid around her waist and she leaned back into his touch automatically. He buried his face in the side of her neck, breathing in. His breath washed over her, and she felt her own eyes falling shut, head rolling to the side as his lips searched for answers, renewing softly fading marks.

She was his favorite question.

“Why are you up so early?”

She inhaled sharply, willing her frantic heartbeat to slow. Damn him - damn him and his stupidly husky morning voice.

Dripping in the soft crinkling of morning newspaper, and enveloped in memories.

“We only have a few hours before you leave. I didn’t want to sleep through our goodbye,” she whispered, pursing her lips as his teeth found new territory, his hold on her tightening.

When his chin came to rest on her shoulder she pressed their cheeks together and felt him nuzzle her ear, sighing onto her face.

“Why do you never complain?” he whispered, eyes closing in contentment.

“What is there to complain about?”

A scoff into her hair, one that wept with guilt and fear.

She knew how to calm him.

Putting the half drunk drink onto the windowsill, she turned in his embrace, welcoming the sight of adorably fluffed hair, and a prominent pout that made her laugh. She ran her finger along his lower lip, all the while pushing him.

Back to their bed,

Their paradise,

A melding of two worlds.

She fell on top of him with a giggle, enjoying how his arms fell from her in defeat as he grunted at the impact.

“A few hours gives us plenty of time,” she whispered with a raised eyebrow and a soft smirk lingering on . His eyes danced between her gaze and lips, unable to find which he favored more. She gave into his pleading sigh, leaning down and capturing plump lips between her own.

Like smoke, he wrapped around her, seeping through and settling into her breath.

Perfume; like the musky scent of pine needles on brisk mornings.

Before she could settle into her position, she found him rolling over, pressing her into the feathered bed, and finding his place between her legs.

Arms wound around his neck as she threaded her fingers into his hair, pulling slightly until she heard a soft moan of satisfaction.

“Stop…” he whispered against , causing her to chuckle slightly. “I’m trying to take this slow.”

“You…slow…?” There it was, the slight raising of her eyebrow that made him crinkle his eyes in affection. He pulled away, eyes raking across flushed cheeks and wide eyes that revealed all he needed to know.

“Fine then! No morning loving for you.”

With a huff, he released all his weight onto her torso, his head falling into her neck as she struggled to breath.

“Get...off...you big...baby,” she groaned, trying to wriggle her way out of his embrace. His only response was to laugh and tighten his arms around her. Eventually her struggle stopped which made him glance at her sideways, curious at the lack of fight. She must have caught his furrowed eyebrows considering the small giggle that left . “You’re actually not that heavy,” she whispered.

Damn her - damn her and her way of making him melt.

He shifted his weight so he was no longer crushing her, but still rested his head on her chest, slowly listening to a steady heartbeat. Her hands found their way to his hair, and she the smooth locks as she watched the sun bathe their room in mild morning rays.

His breath evened against her neck, and she was beginning to accept letting him sleep on her for a few more minutes before he spoke up.

Barely a whisper,

But there, sturdy and undeniable.

“You’re my everything.”

She felt her eyes sting slightly as her chest tightened in the feeling of raw beginnings, and she hummed in answer. Pressing her cheek onto his head she drew in his scent, his presence.

Him.

 

***

 

When she awoke, it was to his lips pressing softly onto the corner of . She blinked as she inhaled a shaky breath and reached her hands above her head, arching her back in a stretch that accompanied a long groan. He scrunched his nose at her, eyes squinting in a smile that completely overtook his face.

“Sorry to wake you, your highness, but I figured you would kill me if I left without a proper goodbye.”

“Good jo

Please log in to read the full chapter