Final

Thankful For You

The alarm went off like any other morning, pulling you from the warm grasp of sleep. The annoying buzzing sound angering you, yet you reminded yourself it was the alarm on your phone going off so you wouldn't throw the item across the room. Blindly, your fingers pressed around on the touchscreen until eventually the noise stopped. You weren't sure if you pressed snooze or if you turned the alarm off completely, but you hoped it was the former.

You really needed to get up at a decent time today. Even though you had the day off, you still had things to do. It was the fourth Thursday of November, which meant it was Thanksgiving. Granted, you haven't lived in America for over 3 years now, it was still a traditional holiday that you kept celebrating. A little bit of home to relieve a bit of the homesickness that would occasionally hit you. With a soft groan, you roll over in your bed and bury your face into your pillow, taking a moment to relax your body just enough that you started drifting off. Your leg gave a twitch, jolting you awake once more and you quickly lifted your head to look at the clock. Barely a minute had passed, good.

 

With a heavy sigh, you lifted yourself up and sat in your bed, letting the sleep slowly leave you as you became more aware of your surroundings. Rubbing the sleep out of your eyes, you climbed out of your bed, grabbing your phone as you went and made your way to the bathroom to freshen up. You were in the middle of brushing your teeth when your phone rang and looking down, you stared at the caller ID before answering it, placing the person on speaker.

 

“Yeah?” It was a muffled, informal greeting, but it was just Mark, a close friend of yours. It was a little odd that he would be calling you at this time of the morning. You were sure he would be off on some show or fanmeeting and wouldn't be on his phone.

 

“Good morning to you too. What are you up to little mouse?” Mark asked on the other end of the line. You could hear the noise of the other guys, Youngjae’s loud laugh was unmistakable.

 

“Brushing my teeth.” You tried to say, yet it didn't come out that clear. Huffing, you pulled out your toothbrush and quickly spat into the sink before speaking again. “Brushing my teeth. What are you doing calling me so early?” You shoved your toothbrush back into your mouth quickly as you waited for Mark to reply.

 

“I wanted to see what you're doing today.” Mark said and you could practically hear the smile on his face. “It's our day off and I wanted to see if you wanted to come by and hang out.” he offered. Hang out with Got7? That was every fangirl and fanboy’s dream. But did it really need to be today? Honestly, she shouldn't be turning him down, but she had plans. She had food to cook and a small dining area to decorate. “Y/N?”

 

“Uh…” Pulling out the toothbrush again, you quickly rinsed it off before rinsing out your mouth and drying your lips. “Well I'd love to hang out with you today but I kinda have plans already.”

 

“Oh.” That simple word had your heart breaking because you could hear the sadness and disappointment in his voice and you hated so much that you caused it. “Well that's okay then. Have fun today.”

 

There was a moment of silence as you debated exactly what to say next. You couldn't possibly stop your tradition that helped you cope with your homesickness but you also couldn't go on with the day knowing you made Mark sad. The other probably looked like a sad little puppy.

 

“Mark?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Well you know, in America today is Thanksgiving and my plans were to just make a nice meal and celebrate. Did you want to come over and celebrate with me? I know you don't get to see your family often, so you know…”

 

“We could celebrate and think about them?” Mark asked softly.

 

“If you want. I mean if you're busy we don't have to.” The words left your mouth before you really thought them through. It sounded so stupid now that you thought about it because he was the one calling you to hang out. Obviously he wasn't busy. Or at least not too busy that he couldn't hang out with you.

 

“Sure! I'd love to. When do you want me to come over? Should I bring anything?”

 

“Nah. Just yourself. And, well whenever. I'll be home all day cooking.” You chuckled softly. “If you want to come now and help me cook you can. If not, then I should be done with the food around 5.”

 

“I could probably be there in an hour if that's cool. I wouldn't mind helping you cook.” Mark said and you couldn't help but smile at that. Four hands were better than two and it would certainly be a great help to have someone else to help with the food preparation.

 

“Awesome! Just text me when you're outside and I'll buzz you in!” you said excitedly.

 

“Alright. See you then.”

 

“Bye!” Hanging up, you stared at the phone for a moment, a large smile spreading over your face. With a slight nod, you turned back to the mirror and stared at yourself before you continued to get ready for the day.

 

*~*

You found yourself in Mark’s company an hour and half later. Though you told him that he didn't need to bring anything, Mark still came with the ingredients for some side dishes plus a small cake he picked up from a shop on his way over. A thoughtful gesture on his part and actually much needed because you didn't have any dessert planned out for your meal. Then again, you didn't think you would be spending this day with him.

 

“So who taught you how to cook?” Mark asked as he leaned against the counter, watching you measure out ingredients carefully for the next dish you were preparing.

 

“My mom.” You smile fondly as the memories filled your mind of your mother. The one person who always supported and loved you in everything you did. You missed her the most and you cherished every moment you got to speak with her on the phone. “She loved cooking and baking and taught me since I was just a little girl.”

 

“Really? Sounds like fun.”

 

“It was. I loved cooking with her. When I was little, I had this little apron and chef hat that I would wear. I would always be do proud when I got to mix the ingredients or put them in the oven to cook. Dad seemed to like my cooking too.” You chuckled softly.

 

“Were you close with your family?” Mark asked curiously. You paused for only a moment before nodding your head.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“So why did you move across the world?” He asked.

 

You shrugged and laughed. “For a dream and a whim.” You answered him and set the fixed dish to the side. Reaching out, you fiddled with the buttons on the oven, turning it on and setting it to the right temperature to preheat to.

 

“And did you make your dream come true?” Mark asked. You had to stop and think for a moment. Your real dream was to come to Seoul, meet all the idols you could and hopefully date one. A fangirl dream of course, and probably a little foolish. But it was your dream nonetheless and you got most of it accomplished. You met Got7 and through them have met a few other idols. But you weren't dating any of them. Not that you haven't tried. Though being a fangirl you never could choose who you liked most. The boys were exactly how you pictured them, personalities and more, though being so close to them the ‘starstruck love’ finally wore off and you realized rather quickly that the love you thought you had for them wasn't love at all.

 

“In a way, yeah.” You chuckled. “More than I thought I would.” You told him and he smiled softly at you.

 

“So what was your dream?”

 

“Oh you know, the standard fangirl dream. Meet my idol and make him fall madly in love with me and get married and live happily every after.” You teased with a laugh, leaning to the left of the counter to check on the turkey in the turkey cooker.

 

“Ah! I know that dream well. Can't count how many dating proposals and marriage proposals we get at every fanmeeting.” Mark chuckled as he crossed his arms over his chest. “So who are you dating?” You looked back over at him and you were a little surprised to see such a serious expression on his face when just moments ago you both were having a very light conversation.

 

“Dating? Me?” You asked with a laugh. “Yeah sure. I said I got most of my dream accomplished. I'm still a single pringle.” You told him with a wave of your hand.

 

“Really?” It was cute at how shocked he sounded and you had to snicker.

 

“Really. Not that I'm complaining. What I have now is great. Friends to keep me company most of the time. Co-workers that annoy the crap out of me, but in a weird way make me smile. And I get to talk to my family every other weekend too.” You paused for a moment and turned and looked around the kitchen and into the open living room/dining room of your small apartment, just taking it all in. “It's nice finally being on my own, you know? I mean it's not fun juggling work with a social life and paying bills. But this is my home and I own everything inside it. I've worked hard for it. I don't think I'm ready to share it all with someone yet.”

 

Your thoughtful comments had Mark humming in thought a few moments after you were done. “So you're gonna get into a relationship and move with someone right away?” He asked.

 

“What? Well no. That's moving too fast I think.”

 

“So then what's really stopping you from dating?” He questioned. “You can keep your independence and date at the same time. What's really stopping you?” He asked.

 

Looking over at him, you shrugged, a frown etching your features. “I don't know. Maybe I just haven't found the right person yet?” You asked. “I mean to be honest, my dream consisted of dating an idol. But since I've known you guys and the other idols you've introduced me to, the whole ‘idol love’ thing has kind of diminished. I see most of you as friends or older brothers, not someone I'd date.” You confessed.

 

“Most of us? So there is some of us you would still date?” Mark asked, and dare you even think he sounded a bit...hopeful?

 

“Well yeah. Of course I would. I get along really well with some of you guys, dating would just happen naturally. Or at least I think. But it hasn't happened yet.”

 

“I see.” Mark nodded. “So if I were to ask you out right now, would you say yes?” Mark asked.

 

“If you were to ask me out right now, I would tell you that in my mind I thought of this little gathering as a date.” You grinned, a small giggle leaving you as you felt your cheeks heating up in slight embarrassment.

 

“Oh really?” Mark asked and grinned. “So what if I told you I was hoping this Thanksgiving celebration would turn out to be something more?”

 

“Then I would tell you that I'm ten steps ahead of you and already have our wedding planned out.” You teased, a loud laugh leaving you at his shocked face.

 

“Tell me you don't. Y/N tell me you're not one of those crazy fangirls.” he practically pleaded.

 

“I'm kidding. I'm kidding.” You said reassuringly. “But, if you want this to be a date, I wouldn't mind. Just don't think you're moving in anytime soon.”

 

“And here I thought you wanted to move in with me.” Mark said.

 

“And live with you and four other men? Please. I want to keep my sanity thank you.” You both laughed at that, the atmosphere between the two of you light hearted, like it was normally. Out of all the members in Got7, you got along really well with Mark the most. It was easy to find yourself in a relaxing conversation with him, or follow his spur of the moment energy and run around like crazy people. Honestly you thought of Mark as one of your best friends. So dating him wouldn't be so hard to imagine and falling in love with him would probably be one of the easiest tasks you've ever had.

 

You spent the rest of the day cooking with Mark and had a very nice, slightly romantic Thanksgiving meal as you watched ‘A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving’ on Netflix while stuffing your face. Mark was, of course, a gentleman and cleaned up the mess of dishes afterwards while you put away the leftovers. And by the end of the night, Mark left only after giving a kiss on the cheek and a promise for another date in the future.

 

As you made your way back to your bedroom, you thought back on all things they were thankful in your life. Your family, your friends, the opportunity to pursue a dream that was deemed impossible. But most of all you were thankful for Mark, and having the opportunity to actually meet him. He has giving you so much in so many ways you probably couldn't even count or remember of the top of your head. But he has made life and the transition into the Korean culture much easier.

 

In reality, it was Mark alone that made this Thanksgiving a happy one and you were looking forward to spend Christmas, New Years and many more holidays together with him.