End

I love you, I love you, I will always love you

"Unnie please dont do this to me. Please please stay with me. Dont let me go. Im not ready to give you up. Let me be your everything. Let me do everything for you all over again. Let me love you all over again and this time i will stay by your side forever. So just stay with me alittle bit longer. Unnie, jebal."

Wheein clasped her fists together into a ball and leaned forward like as though she was praying. Well, she was urgently. Stood restlessly outside the emergency room, her heart was beating rapidly. The immense fear and tremendous guilt swallowed her in as tears fell profusely from the corner of her eyes.

When did it happen? Why wasnt she aware of her pain? Why was she so blind to that someone who used to rock her world? And why did she turn her back on her beloved unnie before?

So many questions but yet Wheein couldnt find any answers. She felt like the biggest fool and how she wished she could just flick her finger so that she could wake up from this horrible reality. 

Two months ago, she was so heartless towards her unnie. Their relationship of 5 years turned sour and Wheein was too busy with things. Love gradually faded and instead of happiness, Wheein felt trapped and burdened by the relationship. Although she was aware that her unnie has never stopped loving her, Wheein still felt like they were wasting their time. Wheein doesnt love her anymore. She fell out of love. That was what she thought.

However, her unnie held on. Relentlessly and devotedly putting Wheein first in everything she did. But Wheein couldnt understand then. She was just so tired of the relationship. She wanted to leave but her unnie begged her to give them three months.

Wheein was against it at first but her unnie was adamant. And Wheein was unimpressed with her unnie's persistence.

"Unnie, youre getting possesive. This relationship is going nowhere."

Annoyance was evident in her voice but nevertheless she agreed although she felt that three months wouldnt change a thing between them. 

In the first month, Wheein continued her usual routine - work till late at week nights and party till wee hours on weekends. She hung out with her best friend, Hwasa. She often complained about her unnie to Hwasa. Although the woman sympathised with Wheein but she did encourage Wheein to give her unnie another chance.

"Maybe she really loves you. 5 years of relationship means alot to her. Dont you feel the same?"

Wheein got irked all the time when such question was thrown to her. People change. So did she. Things were not the same anymore. But yet she could never deny the fact that her unnie loves her more than she ever did. 

Things remained status quo. Wheein busied herself with activities while her unnie was often at home. But food was still served during breakfast and dinner. Laundry was done and the house was kept clean and neat. Her unnie did all the house chores without complaining and Wheein didnt mind it at all.

One night, Wheein decided to return home earlier than usual. She had finished most of her tasks and decided to call it a day. She headed home and was surprised to find a pair of man's shoes outside their door. Well, Wheein had an idea who the owner was and wasnt surprised to see him there. 

The two couldnt meet eye to eye. He hated her because she stole his love and she hated him because well, he was just annoying. That feeling still remains. However the man was being civilized tonight. 

"She's home. I will get going." he whispered softly before making his way out of the house. Wheein just watched in disdain. And the moment he left, Wheein quickly asked. She wanted to know why he was here.

"Oh, he sent some food. I didnt cook today."

"You could have called me."

"I did but you didnt answer."

"I was busy. You should know that. Why didnt you call my office?"

"You said you were busy. Thats why i didnt call. It doesnt matter anymore. Anyway there's food in the microwave. Heat it up before u eat. Im going to turn in early tonight."

Her unnie got up on her feet and staggered back into her room. Their bedroom. Wheein used to sleep in that room with her. But Wheein took the guest room eversince the break up. 

Something triggered in her heart. Her unnie's face was extremely pale. She looked like she didnt eat for years. Wheein watched her fragile back until she disappeared into her room. 

Her unnie must have been sick. She didnt look good. Wheein bit her lower lip. She sort of vented her anger on her unnie. She didnt like Eric Nam. She never will. And the mere sight of him would make Wheein barf. But tonight the man didnt pick a fight with her which was a little unusual. 

So Wheein quietly walked over to their bedroom. The door creaked open and Wheein held her breath. But there was no movement. She peeked in and she saw her unnie on their bed. Her eyes were closed. Her forehead was filled with perspiration. That was odd. The aircon was really cold. Slightly alarmed, Wheein scoot closer and sat on the edge of the bed. 

The light from street shone dimly on her unnie's face. She was frowning and beads of perspiration rolled off from her forehead. Wheein was worried. Subconciously she leaned closer and touched her unnie's forehead.

"Why is her forehead burning hot?"

She shook her unnie's shoulders but the older woman just whined in her sleep. So Wheein quickly ran to the bathroom and grabbed a hand towel. She got it wet and placed it on her unnie's forehead. 

It took Wheein a minute to realize that she was staring at the woman in front of her. She studied the older girl's face carefully. 5 years. 5 years of relationship just came to a naught. And the older girl's facial expressions have grown softer and maybe a little weaker. She hardly smiles nowadays. 

Wheein found herself leaning closer and carassed the older girl's cheeks. She suddenly realised how much she missed this. Nowadays she hardly gave her unnie the attention and affection. Was she being selfish?

Wheein sighed before she continued to dap the wet towel over the older girl's forehead. Then she whispered softly.

"Get well soon."

-

Wheein's boss was driving her crazy. She works in an advertising firm as a graphic designer. Wheein majors in art back in school. 

"Jung, can you finish this by today?"

How annoying could he be but she didnt have much choice. She just grudgingly nodded her head before continued whatever she was doing. One thing for sure, she hates last minute jobs. 

Half an hour into the job, Wheein was still struggling to get the colors right. It was not easy with a demanding boss breathing down her neck. Just then, her phone rang. At first she ignored it but the caller was persistent. Wheein burst.

"What the hell do you want?!"

"Er, Wheein, will you be coming back for dinner?"

"No, and dont call me anymore!"

She slammed the phone on the table. She knew who the caller was but she was too stressed out with her job. Besides they were no longer girlfriends. Her unnie was just too possessive.

However once her work was done, Wheein found herself staring at the phone. She had this tremendous guilt clouding over her. She was disheartened when she realize how rude she was earlier on. 

Should she call back?  She looked at her watch. It was almost 11pm. Maybe she should head home. Her unnie was probably sleeping by then.

She got home. Her heart was beating fast. She looked around the house and found her unnie sleeping on the sofa. There were tear streaks at the corner of her cheeks. Wheein felt guilty. She looked over her shoulders and realized the dining table was filled with food. A birthday cake stood right in the middle with Happy Birthday Wheein decorated on it.

Wheein's heart sank immediately. It was her birthday and her unnie has prepared some food for her. She turned to look at the older girl and sighed. She had once again broke the older girl's heart.

She took a step closer and realized the older girl was in a deep sleep. It would be difficult to wake her up and the living room was turning into an ice box. So she had no choice but to carry the older woman back to her room.

Wheein was used to her unnie's despite being smaller and shorter. But not tonight. She was puzzled when she realized that she didnt have to exert much force. She could carry her unnie at ease. She frowned as she glanced down.

"Why are you so light? I dont remember you being so light weight."

She asked in her thoughts. Then she studied her unnie's face carefully. Her chubby mochi cheeks were gone. They were sunken and her unnie's jaw line was more prominent than before.

Wheein was slightly heartbroken when she realized what she had put her unnie through. This wouldnt do. She should end this relationship soon.

"Im sorry, unnie. I have to let you go."

-

A week later, Wheein had decided to end their relationship for good. It might seem cruel but her unnie would have to learn to cope on her own. It was better to stop this misery.

She has not been coming home either. She was avoiding her unnie so she stayed at Hwasa's place to give some room for each other. Her unnie didnt call her either. It was weird for Wheein not getting calls from her unnie but she initially thought probably the older woman has given up.

However, there was no one home. The house looked emptier than before. Half of their cupboard was gone, mostly her unnie's stuffs were gone. Did she leave without saying? It had only been two months. She wanted them to stay for three months. 

Wheein lingered from one room to the other. It felt empty and it was a lot colder than before. Their memories and photos were still arranged neatly in their respective frames on the shelf above the television. Wheein looked through one at a time and she couldnt help but shed a few tears. After all, they were together for five years.

A photo album was left on the coffee table. It had been there for months but Wheein never had the time to open it. However her eyes grew larger when she noticed red stains on the photos and plastic cover. She looked closer and realized it was dried blood.

She was slightly alarmed and terrified. Did something happen at home? Is her unnie okay? She kept flipping the pages of the album and then stopped dead at one particular page. 

It was a handwritten letter. There were more bloodstains on it but Wheein managed to read the contents. She then closed the album and grabbed her handbag including her car keys. She ran out of the house almost immediately.

It was a letter from her unnie and it said something like this. 

"Wheein ah, ahn-yeong. 

I will never know when will you ever get to read this letter. But i hope one day you will and when the day comes, i hope you wont blame yourself.

I have always wanted to tell you but i just couldnt. It hurts so badly to even say anything to you. It was probably my fault that our relationship fell apart. That was why i asked for 3 months because that was just how long i could actually live. 

Wheein ah, I have brain tumour. I will die somehow but i didnt want to leave you yet. I was told i have 3 months to live. Unfortunately, my condition got worse and i probably have less than 3 months to live. 

Thank god, youre staying with Hwasa right now. At least you wont see me in my worst moments. Im leaving now, Wheein ah. Thank you for the last five years. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for staying with me for the last 2 months despite not having any feelings for me anymore. 

I love you, Jung Wheein always and forever. Remember me the way you used to. Dont ever blame yourself should I die soon. It was not your fault. I never told you.

Goodbye Wheein. Hope you will find someone who can love you better. 

Saranghaeyo.

Your unnie,
Kim Yong Sun

-

Wheein drove like a crazy person. Tears fell profusely and her heart ached like crazy. Suddenly, all the memories and every little things that happened for the last five years came flooding into her mind.

The love, the soft kisses, the tender touches, everything came at once. Wheein has forgotten about them. She ing abandoned her memories and now they were desperately pounded into her dumb brain, attempting to make her remember, to make her realize that she loves Kim Yong Sun.

"UNNIE ANDWAE! YOU CANNOT LEAVE ME NOW! I STILL LOVE YOU. I MISS YOU SO MUCH! UNNIE AHHHH!!!"

Wheein screamed at nobody. She was probably hopping mad at herself. She somehow knew where her unnie would be. The car stopped abruptly and Wheein jumped out of her car. 

"ERIC OPPA! OPEN UP! OPEN THE DAMN DOOR!"

She kept banging with her fists till they turned red. Finally the door was open. Wheein was stunned to find Moonbyul, her unnie's best friend at the door.

"You're here."

"Where is she?"

"Why do you care now, Jung Wheein?"

"Where is she?"

Wheein was adamant to know. She knew people would start questioning her, probably doubting her after what she had done. She was aware of her crime but now, her unnie was what mattered to her most.

"She's inside."

Eric finally appeared behind the bedroom door. Moonbyul wasnt letting Wheein in but Eric shook his head.

"Yongsun needs her the most now, Byul ah."

"She doesnt give a care about Yongsun unnie anymore."

"Yongsun never told her. It wasnt really her fault."

"She is here because shes guilty. Not because she still loves unnie."

Wheein bit her lower lip till it bled and clenched her fists tightly. They could blame her all they want but she just wanted to see her Yongsun unnie. She was determined to see Yongsun even if it was going to be the last time.

She bulldozed her way in, pushing Moonbyul away. She stood at the bedroom door and peek in. Her eyes watered immediately and her hands shook so badly. 

She was dying inside, pieces and pieces of her broken heart kept breaking apart. Yongsun's eyes were closed. Her face was pale and Wheein cursed at herself for letting Yongsun suffers like this.

She stood still, her eyes were fixated on Yongsun as she swore to herself. 

"I will take back my responsibility. I will take her with me. I will take good care of her. I will quit my job and nurse her back to health. I swear i will spend my whole time with her until the day she breathes her last."

She then stood closer to Yongsun and carried the poor woman in her arms. Wheein started crying as she leaned in to kiss Yongsun's dull lips.

"I love you. I love you. I will always love you. I finally remember these words i used to tell you. So this time, let me be the one who loves you. I will love you with all of my heart until youre whole again."

-

Wheein was busy cooking in the kitchen. She looked up and smiled. She washed her hands off and dried them against the hand towel hanging on the fridge door. 

She knelt down before carressing two small hands that were turning cold. 

"How are you feeling, unnie?"

But there was no response. All Wheein could hear was the sound from the television. Yongsun was still alive but unfortunately the illness

 maimed her for life. 

She was only able to respond by blinking her eyes. The rest of her body had somehow turned stone cold. The doctors managed to remove her tumour but her brain cells were badly affected.

But that didnt stop Wheein. She was thankful that God gave Yongsun back to her. She kept her promise and stayed by Yongsun's side. Even if Yongsun was never gonna call her name anymore, or if Yongsun could never be expressive anymore, or if Yongsun just remain stoic like that for the rest of her life, Wheein would still take this chance to be with her.

She leaned closer and gently planted her lips on Yongsun's forehead. She smiled widely before whispering those words.

"I love you. I love you. I will always love you."

And Yongsun returned her love by blinking her eyes. Slowly and steadily.

"I know you love me. You have always been in love with me. You dont have to show it to me. I know. I just wanna thank you for coming back to me. Giving me another chance to love you all over again."