Final

The Ties that Bind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

June, 2009

The sun is shining brightly, students are either shouting or cheering while they were having their P.E class in the middle of the green wide field.

"Why are you frowning?" Sehun cackles after finding his bestfriend’s sour face.

"Because damn it, we are going to lose!" A dark skinned male reply. "Of all games, why dodge ball?"

"Blame Baekhyun, she suggested it and the game is yet to start how dare you saying we are going to lose?" The tallest male retaliates, eyes still glued on his shoes while securing his shoelace.

"Chanyeol, Kyungsoo is on that team." Sehun laughed along with a few strong slap landing against his bestfriend’s back.

"Jongin, I can hit her don't worry." Chanyeol said voice faltering as Jongin is quick to send a deathly unimaginable glare. "Or maybe not." The giant added shyly scratching his nape.

Because no one can hit or hurt Kyungsoo, no one.

"Hey ! Game is about to start! Drag your lazy asses back here!" A bob haired girl yelled across the field.

"Baekhyun better be thankful that she is your girlfriend Chanyeol." Sehun hisses as they walk towards their class.

 

It was only Kyungsoo and Baekhyun that are left in the game, Jongin has the ball. He and Sehun are having a hard time hitting Baekhyun, they blame her small figure at that. The heavens must be on the clumsy girl's side.

Jongin, like a professional player, positioned his body, eyes and mind focused to their sole target, aiming to finish the game with victory.

One.

Two.

Three.

Finally, he strongly let go of the ball. But, Baekhyun had dodged the attempt like the heavens has been looking out for her. Nonetheless, someone else has been hit.

"." He curses under his breath.

 

 

The night has gone deeper, however, Kyungsoo decided to hang around at the nearby 7/11 store besides tomorrow is a Saturday, no homework or quizzes and she is badly craving for a sweet chocolate ice cream.

Seated in a round table outside the convenience store, Kyungsoo enjoys watching as people passes by her. her ice cream she rolls her eyes to every couple passing by.

"I went to your house and look for you everywhere, you are just here." A familiar voice said, taking a seat next to her. Kyungsoo chooses to ignore the lingering presence so she could enjoy the coldness melting against her tongue. "Soo." He whined with the continuous cold treatment.

Kyungsoo stares at him. He pouted. She smacks his head. Hard.

"Sorry, Sorry. Please talk to me again." He pouted once again in front of her. ignoring the disgusted faces of other customers.

"I hate you Jongin!" She said, brows furrowed together.

"You hated me for five long hours, I am dying Do Kyungsoo." Jongin whined, throwing his head on her shoulder while his long hands find their way on her thin waist.

"What should I do when my little puppy is pouting on me like this?" Kyungsoo teases once again, fingers ruffling along Jongin's brown shiny hair.

"Sleep with me tonight. Huh?" Jongin begs. Blinking a few times as he pout.

"I guess that is too much for what you had done at P.E class. Don't you think so too Mr. Kim?" Jongin lifted his face trying to use his charms.

"Unfair." All he can reply.

"You guys, stop being lovey-dovey on public you are creeping unfamiliar people. And because of you I think of moving out from this neighborhood." One of their neighbors rolled an eye upon entering the store.

"I can't date this girl. She’s a pain in the ." Jongin smiled brightly, trapping Kyungsoo's neck in between his arm.

"Pain in the huh? K. No bestfriend night I conclude." She attacks him. Jongin is back to his baby mood again with his cute pout and soft whines.

That’s right, Kyungsoo and Jongin are bestfriends forever. Jongin is the first friend Kyungsoo had made when her family moved into their neighborhood 10 years ago.

Their friendship had escalated swiftly. Too comfortable around each other their deep affection towards the other chooses no time and place. Such exception does not exist.

Even their middle school friends thought they were lovers during their first day of school. If they turn to lovers, their relationship could be a good exemplar.

But, Kyungsoo highly refuses the possibility of Jongin being her lover, them being a couple.

Jongin's value is greater than any expensive entity ever existed and she can never lose him. Kyungsoo is nothing but a mere coward who is fearful in investing her heart for an indecipherable future. The dreadful thought of heartbreaks and intolerable pains are enough reason to keep Jongin as what they are now.

And positively, Kyungsoo does not believe in the power of love, in the power of lust maybe but love? It is absurd because people change, and so does their stupid feelings and eventually in the end, it is all just regrets and pains.

 

 

August, 2010

Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Sehun are having chicken and pizza for dinner after watching Jigsaw on the cinema. Chin rested at her palm, Kyungsoo is pouting while feeling disgusted to the sight of the couple in front of her.

"When did you and your boyfriend last went for a date noona?" Asked Sehun while his fingers are twirling Kyungsoo's loosen curls.

"I can't remember." She snorted. "Besides he is busy with school works."

"Having a university student for a boyfriend ." Baekhyun smirked. "They are boring with dates but I don't know in bed." Her eyebrow rises, smiling at Kyungsoo with lewd.

"I can't tell either. Junmyeon oppa hasn't asked me about that topic though." Said Kyungsoo while biting the straw of his large cola out of habit.

"But what if she asks you noona? What would it be?" Sehun scoots closer, trying to tone down his question. Kyungsoo shrugs her shoulder.

"Maybe. You guys had done it and I guess it's about time to say goodbye at my self and join your club." Everyone is mouth agape to Kyungsoo's simple answer.

"Noona.. finally! It's time to have !" Sehun exclaims.

"Who is going to have ?" The late Jongin asks immediately tapping Sehun's attached finger to Kyungsoo's hair before squeezing his sweaty body in between his friends.

"Kyungsoo and her boyfriend." Chanyeol reported to the brown haired male sipping Kyungsoo's straw.

"Nope. They will not. Before that guy can kiss my baby he had to ask for my approval or maybe after like ten years." Jongin explained as he winks at Kyungsoo.

"I'll be having with him even without your permission Mr. Kim." Kyungsoo fake a smile, forcefully grabbing her cola from Jongin before he finishes it. "Like did I ever forbid you having ?"

The way the bestfriends sounds and with their heated argument, it quickly sends signal to the trio to depart their current location and hid someplace safe.

World War III is about to blow up and being present is never a good option. Slowly, they said goodbye. Until both of them are endlessly hastily arguing inside the fast food chain.

"Honey?" Jongin's girlfriend said after seeing the male at the chain.

"Who are you?" Kyungsoo replied nonchalantly.

"I am Jongin's girlfriend. Who are you?" The girl asks back. Kyungsoo did not bother to reply instead she walks away angrily leaving the lovers alone.

"Kyungsoo!" Jongin swiftly followed her. Calling her name for her to notice him.

"Honey!" Kyungsoo heard the girl calls Jongin however the angry male continuously calling her name.

 

 

Seongsoon is lazing out in their living room when Kyungsoo arrived. To her relief, Jongin was left by the bus and has failed to reach her. Joining her brother, she focused on the Vampire Diaries Season 3 they are currently watching.

When Damon’s lips are almost touching Elena’s, loud knockings came to disturb the siblings. Due to the thrilling scene, no one answered the door. Another rushed knocking breaks. This time Kyungsoo annoyingly stood up to answer as her brother is playing deaf and is undisturbed.

"Hey hyung!" Jongin greeted the older male brushing through Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

"Jongin.. it's late." He coldly greeted back without looking at the guest.

"Oppa, goodnight. I am going to bed now." Kyungsoo said.

Kyungsoo is seated on her bed reading a novel she likes when Jongin enters to join her serenity. Without a word, he lies next to her, head rested on top of her stomach. As a habit, Kyungsoo's hand finds to caress Jongin's hair that is lulling him to sleep.

Halfway of her book, it is getting late and Jongin has been snoring for hours, Kyungsoo decided to sleep, sliding her body south she hugs the childish male.

Jongin felt the sudden movement of the girl. Noticing her attempt of drifting to dreamland, Jongin takes off his shirt before pulling Kyungsoo in comfort.

"Sorry baby. Can't let you get disrespected." Jongin whispers. Palm sliding under the hem of shirt.

It is normal for them. The skinship, Jongin sleeping next to her as if they were husband and wife.

"Nini, Junmyeon is my boyfriend.." She pouted. Her cherry colored lips grazing the bare skin of Jongin's collarbone.

"Still baby. Just promise me.. huh?"

"Okay fine. You whiny kid.." Jongin smiles pulling Kyungsoo closer as tight as he can until she feels her lung begs for air. "But if you promise me you won't do it either."

Jongin will die. Kyungsoo expects the male to protests but she is absolutely wrong.

"Okay." He briefly replies in a raspy voice. She giggled somehow. "Goodnight Kyungsoo."

There's silence. Jongin has fallen back to sleep. But Kyungsoo is still wide awake. Brain is occupied with Junmyeon who has not contacted her for two straight weeks, the boyfriend does not even waste a second to reply to her messages.

Thankfully, Jongin is there. Her safe haven. The man who makes everything better.

"Nini, we should get a matching tattoo. Pretty please?" Kyungsoo whispers to the snoring male. Obviously she receives no reply. "Goodnight baby."

 

 

October, 2011

Jongin is in a middle of a cinema date (read: heavily making out) when his phone is endlessly vibrating indicating of an incoming phone call. At first he decided to ignore it and seize the moment however after accidentally seeing the caller’s name, without hesitations and forgetting about the woman he is with hurriedly he answers it.

"Hey, ssup?" Casually he answers it, his date is currently his neck as her hand is kneading his growing against his denim jean.

"Ni… h-help m-me.." Kyungsoo stutters as she cries. Jongin panicked hearing her troubled voice and soft sobs.

"Where are you? Kyung…. Ah.. easy kitten." He moans. "Kyungie, where are you?"

But the line has ended.

Completely aware of Jongin's current situation, Kyungsoo literally understood that her timing is off. Despising to hear Jongin ing some girl on the other line, in swift movements Kyungsoo ended the call.

 

 

Jongin is going nuts, Kyungsoo is nowhere to be found. Not to their usual hangout, to their friend’s house and to other places she could possibly be.

What worry him the most is her voice, Kyungsoo is in grave danger just by the way her voice shivers and the painful sobs she is letting out.

It is almost midnight, her disappearance is maddening Jongin. Every bit of his brain is going insane. Guilt tripping himself.

Did Kyungsoo get upset because he is with a girl? But their promise of no had been long broken when he did it with an ex girlfriend.

The silver haired male is thanking and praising every holy figures of every religion when finally, Kyungsoo is walking towards him.

But the painted smile is slowly fading seeing her mind boggling state. Eyeliners trailing down her cheeks, walking like a zombie and her hair are as messy as his ed up brain.

Jongin does not hold any right to be weak at that moment because if he does who will be stronger for Kyungsoo?

"Kyungie, OH MY GOD." Instinctively, Jongin took off his winter jacket wrapping it around Kyungsoo. "Baby.. I am sorry." He pulled her into a hug.

Underneath his arms, Kyungsoo felt safe once again, even though failing to feel her limbs, Kyungsoo turns to her weakest. If not of Jongin's hold, she had already helplessly fallen to the ground.

"Kyungie.. oh god." Jongin carries her in a bridal style, automatically wrapping her arms around his neck.

 

 

Kyungsoo is seated on Jongin's bed, the silver haired male is kneeling in between her parted legs while he cleans up her face. An ocean of question his mind has become. Wanting to ask but Kyungsoo is still shivering.

When her face is make up free, Jongin changed her clothes and tucked her in bed without a word.

"Don't leave me." Kyungsoo grabbed Jongin's arm when he take a step out of his bed.

"I won't. I am just getting you some warm tea. I'll be back after five minutes." Jongin kneeled back down, tucking Kyungsoo's bangs.

"Please don't go Nini.." She cries.

"You need to drink something Kyungie. Just a minute. I will be back. I promise." Jongin's warm kiss against her forehead is giving her safety. She briefly nods and he almost flies his way out to the kitchen.

In a blink of an eye, Jongin is back with a tray of teapot and a cup. Quietly, not to wake Kyungsoo up, he laid the tray to his study table instead before sliding to the duvet, covering Kyungsoo's tiny body.

He raises her head sliding his arms underneath, she woke up at the movement and snuggle to her bestfriend closer.

"What happened Kyungie?" She sighed heavily.

"I.. I.." Gathering all her mental strength, Kyungsoo narrates in detail how some erted guys tried to pay her for after her band gig.

When she firmly refused, the offenders forced her into the car and almost her. Luckily, some police officers are roving around the area and noticed the odd movement of the car.

Jongin is raging hot in anger, clenching his fist he tried to stay calm and civilized.

"I am sorry Kyungie.. I am sorry.." He whispers, embracing the crying Kyungsoo, the desperation for Kyungsoo to feel her safety is powerful.

"Jongin.. please don't leave me. I will die if you will ever leave me." She sobs.

"I won't baby.. I won't." Jongin leans down while he lift Kyungsoo's chin up. "I promise you baby. No such unimaginable thing will ever happen to you as long as I live." With all gentleness, Jongin kissed her. Not on the cheeks or her forehead, but to that one romantic spot he never touches with his lips before. "I love you baby." He whispers again before claiming back her lips.

That very moment, Kyungsoo's fear and built trauma is slowly faltering the longer he kisses her. As if it is her remedy, Jongin became the cure for her everything.

 

 

March, 2012

Everyone is in pure bliss, finally they had graduated and are ready to face another chapter of their book.

Both Kyungsoo and Jongin had promised each other to make every page of this new chapter together.

A mixture of excitement and anxiety lingers inside them.

Kyungsoo is happily smiling with Junmyeon. One hand holding her diploma while her boyfriend is occupying her other hand.

On the other hand, Jongin with a bright smile is taking pictures of neither with his friends or together with the group is shattering inside.

Yeah, he and Kyungsoo are just bestfriends however, seeing her smiling with her boyfriend is killing Jongin slowly, in a torturous way he could not imagine.

"Nini.. sorry, can't go with you guys tonight." Kyungsoo apologetically said to her bestfriend after pulling him to a secluded hallway.

"But Kyungie, this has been long planned. Everyone is looking forward for this trip." Jongin hisses. "Besides this is going to be our last trip before entering college. This is like our last chance."

"Ni, Junmyeon bought us ticket to Jeju-do. How do you think I can say no?" She pleads him.

"Kyungie, please.. just tell him to reschedule your trip. Everyone is expecting for you to come."

"Jongin, I am begging you. Just let me go, just-"

"Okay. You can go Kyungsoo. That is your choice." Jongin impatiently replied before leaving the girl behind without turning around after hearing his name leaving .

All Jongin can feel is betrayal. He tried to be understanding but that feeling when someone made you feel really excited however announces a sudden change of heart minutes before the event is empowering that tiny bit of understanding.

That afternoon, both of them hopped into a different plane, different direction.

Who would have thought that their promise not to leave each has been broken? Who broke the promise has not yet to be unraveled.

Jongin has become sad, really really sad.

 

 

December, 2015

For three years, Kyungsoo and Jongin have only met three times and during those times, they ended up either hating on the other or making the other cry, there is no in betwe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter