Prologue

People of the Lie

GlXh0TM.jpg

“The only place outside of Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.”

-C.S. Lewis

 

It doesn’t exist.

It hasn’t, for a long while now.

No one really knows how it all started, just that it did. At some point or another, they all began to deem it useless, and to some, even annoying. When they realized that anything and everything can – and will – be bought, and morality can actually be measured by the amount of spare change they could dig up in their dirty pockets, they had eagerly decided to throw it out the window. The world definitely had no need for it. It doesn’t feed you, nor will it keep you alive – not in a nasty dog-eat-dog world such as this. Human nature, after all, has always dictated the survival of the fittest.

And it was, by its own definition, nothing but a weakness.

In a place where crime and corruption drive the society, and , drugs, and violence are the way of life, something as pure and whimsical as that doesn’t anymore exist…

Except for the people of the lie.

 

* * *

 

One.

A world like theirs needs no room for affection.

She, herself, can attest to that.

Day in and day out, as she sifts through the bloodied mess, she sees with her own two eyes just how much these people can be ruthless.

Despicable criminals, the whole lot of them. They’re all the same. Everyone deserves whatever agonizing demise fate has coming for them. After all, she doubts if those delinquents even felt an ounce of affection when they decided to rob and kill a child’s family for some measly change….

Apathy is necessary when insanity is staring right at her face.

Thank God she has mastered it down to an art.

The trial is unfair where affection is the judge.

 

* * *

 

Two.

People can live and breed without friendship.

And she has her own creative ways of knowing that.

She has seen it all.

Well, that may be quite an exaggeration, but still it's enough to know that in this society, everyone is a firm subscriber of quid pro quo. They are all in it for something. Whether that person be a trophy wife of a philandering billionaire husband, or a hard-nosed associate of that insufferable, scheming executive, they all want the same thing: leverage. And leverage? Well, she can provide that…

For a fee, of course.

Friendship?

Nah, that doesn’t exist here. No one cares about friendship. Or trust, for that matter. It’s every man for himself around here.

The lenses do not lie.

people do.

There are no real friends in this world, only real enemies.

Friendship isn’t anything but mere make-believe.

 

* * *

 

Three.

It’s not possible for people to fall in love.

Unless that person is trying to crawl his way into another person’s pants, then that might just be the case.

Pathetic, she thinks, but it’s always interesting to see the extent of what people will go to, just to bed someone.

Not true for her, though. She never did like these euphemisms everyone is so fond of using. Unlike these pretentious little prudes and pricks, she isn’t ashamed to admit that she’s purely in it for the fun.

A ‘relationship’, she truly believes, is nothing more than having an instant bedmate – someone to warm your bed until the next interesting person comes along. It’s not her fault if there’s always another interesting person sharing her bed every single night.

What was it that they always say? About loneliness always having a way of breaking even the most logical of reasonings apart?

Well, she knows a few, more thrilling ways to break that.

Love is entirely magical, and it’s only the ignorant fools who fall for such storybook illusions.

 

* * *

 

Four.

Everything in this world is beyond redemption.

She has given up all hope for any semblance of salvation a long time ago. In the end, everyone in this world is just the same.

Even her.

Theirs is a society which needs no angels, she has belatedly understood, and the only way to rid the world of its evil is to become evil herself. And now behind every sweet word and underneath her pretty face, there hides a girl who is undoubtedly just as… ugly as the rest of human race.

Oh, the irony of it all.

But what’s done is done. She has long since accepted the fact that she’s already beyond deliverance now.

Eternal damnation only awaits her.

These days, she spends most of the time wondering when it will finally be her turn to writhe and plead as she bleeds…

Just like this guy lying face down by her feet.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

 

* * *

 

A/N: First part will be up in a few hours..