Chapter 4

Serendipity

And on the outside, there stood Joohyun, froze on her steps, eyes-widen as she saw what just happened.

Joohyun

Suddenly, someone tapped on my shoulder and I jump, trying to scream but my mouth was cupped by a hand. I look up and saw a handsome, tall, boy. "What are you doing here when you're not supposed to ?" He asked as he let me go. "You're Joohyun ?" He asks. "Yes." He smiles. "I'm Guanlin, Jane's fiance, I mean soon-to-be fiance. She asked me to look for you in case you're lost. Let's go to meet the teacher, shall we ?" He said. Tsk, who said earlier that she don't care about me ?

As we were walking, I still can't get rid of the earlier incident from my head. "You know them ?" He asked. "Who ?" I asked back. "The earlier guys." He said. "No." I said, quietly. "Just, don't go near them and don't be friend with any of them. Okay ?" He says, and after that, we arrived at the teacher's office and he left.

"So you're Joohyun ?" The teacher asks me. "Yes, I am." I said. "Jane had told me some things about you. I think everything's been settled down for you by your cousin, Jane." Jane did ? "So, is there anything you wanted to know before we get on ?" She asked. I smile and shake my head. "Okay, then, let's go to your class, Miss Seo."

The walk to the classroom feels so far. And without realising, my anxiety returns. I clenched my fists. Sweats trickling down. "M..Miss Kim." I called out. She turns around and look at me. "Can I go to the restroom first ?" I asked. She smile and say, "Sure."

FLASHBACK

"Hy ! My name is Seo Joohyun. I like to draw cartoons and read books. Let's be friends !" The 9-year-old me said cheerfully, in front of my classmates. It was my first day at school in elementary school. The reaction the cheerful girl expected was not what she got. None of the students replies her greetings, and all are whispering to themselves and giving glances at me.

Silence.

"Children ! What should you do when your friend greets you ?" The teacher stood up. "Say hi !" They answered. "Say hi to Joohyun ! She'll be your new classmate from now on." The teacher explained and shortly after, they finally replied my hi. Except that the 9-year-old me didn't know back then that it was all an act.

The bell rings. I take out my lunch box from my bag. "Hy Joohyun !" I look up and see 3 girls standing by me, giving me smiles. "Hy !" I replied. "Can we eat with you ?" One of them asked. I nodded. Then, they bring me to the canteen, sitting on a table together, like any other friends did. "Joohyun, that looks tasty ! Did you make it ?" Suji asked. "No, my mother did it. Would you like to have a taste ?" I offered them and they take it happily, instantly emptying the container. Although the empty container couldn't fill my hungry stomach up, but I was too happy to notice it. Too happy that I have friends.

END OF FLASHBACK

I let out a deep breath before making my way out of the restroom, not bothering to look at my relefction in the mirror. Walking towards the class in a daze, I didn't realise that I've make it there. "Miss Seo, come in." I gulped and slowly, I take my step inside. Reaching to where the teacher stood, I stop and slowly facing the front, where 23 pairs of eyes are looking at me directly. "Miss Seo, please introduce yourself." The other teacher who was in the class before speaks up. I gather up my confidence. 'Maybe things will be different here' I thought. "Hy, I am Seo Joohyun. Nice to meet you guys." I said.

And for the first time in my life, I heard it. "HY !" They replied and some even wave. And among them, I saw Chanyoung, who is waving but quickly put down the hand by Bona, who glared at me fiercely. And also Jane, who's as usual stare at me like a cold ice, and the boy, I mean, Jane's fiance, smiling at me. Until that one question strucked me. "Which company ?" I'm speechless. I look at Jane, asking for help. When she isn't even looking at me. For a split second, I panicked. "Miss Ki, I think we should continue studying now. Wasting time to this tiny matter isn't in our deal." "Oh right, let's wrap up the introduction. I believe you guys can do it later. For now, let's study. Miss Seo, take your seat reserved there." She said before continuing her lesson. 

I sighed, relieved. I walk towards my desk, which have my name on a piece of paper sticked on it.