Chapter One

Dragon Age - Aeon

Life in the Circle wasn't all bad honestly. Seunghoon had learned to enjoy the quiet moments of study, learning about the magic his village feared so much.

Feared was the exact word. Having been born into that small farming town, no one truly understood magic. All they knew was what the local chantry brother told them: magic was a corrupting thing, something to be feared as it led to horrible things. Andraste had said, "Magic is to serve man; never to rule over him." Woe to those families that had a magical child. They would be forced to live with the factthat they were cursed by the Maker, a burden on their society as that child would one day bring ruin and demons and other monstrosities. Because as they all knew, the mage child would eventually become something terrifying.

As a child clutching to his mother's skirts when she would gossip with the other farmer wives, they would whisper about so-and-so's neice or nephew and how they must be so ashamed that they were taken away by templars. His mom would laugh, tell them they were being silly and should concentrate on ensuring their gardens were ready for the winter.

That is, until Seunghoon accidently lit the kitchen on fire. His parents were terrified, and he remembered being made to recite the chant of light, and to promise never to do it again. But it happened again, and again, and no amount of prayer or begging seemed to stop it.

"Can you simply just choose not to do it?!" He recalls his father once pleading with him after nearly lighting their barn on fire.

That was the night the templars came. Seunghoon, huddled in his room where his mother had locked him up in a closet in an attempt to hide him, was pulled out by an older man who was harsh and demanding of both he and his parents. The whole village was outside his home when the templar led him out by the arm. Over his mother's cries for mercy, he heard the hushed whispers of his village. The stares, the pointing, the scared looks from the other children he once thought of as friends: he was now the thing they told stories about.

Seunghoon was on the verge of tears that night, riding alone in the wagon as they took him to the Circle. Life was over. Until another templar joined him, and actually took a moment to explain to him what his new life would actually be. Quietly and calmly. No fire or brimstone, no judgement: just an older woman clad in the templar armor speaking to him as if he were a child: just a child.

With in the Ferelden Circle of Magic, Seunghoon found a strange sort of acceptance. Even with the armored Templars of the Chantry watching their every move, Seunghoon was surrouned by others just like him: children learning what magic could truly be. While some still spouted terror at being abominations, and wanting nothing but for it to go away and be "pure" again in the eyes fo the Maker; others embraced it. He was not some strange thing and was certainly not alone. Seunghoon learned early that there was always a risk with magic: with being so close to the Fade and where demons could easily entice and lure you into darkness. But he also learned he could control it.

"Magic is to serve man: never to rule over him."

He had to be careful for sure. He needed to learn to be in control, to never succumb to temptation; but these were worth while prices. Seunghoon found peace studying the tomes of magic and history. He was learning far more here, within this secluded tower, than he would have outside in his village.

Seunghoon could genuinely say he was content. This became all the more true after his Harrowing. The Harrowing was a test all young would be mages had to take where they would have to enter the Fade and literally face a demon. If he failed, he would be made tranquil or killed. But that was the price: failure meant being taken over by a demon, or forever being an open conduit for one. That part of the story was true: while Seunghoon had learned not to fear what he was inherently, he knew very well to fear what demons came with the territory. But for Seunghoon, the Harrowing was past. He was a mage now.

That really should have been the end of this story. Truly.

But Seunghoon met Jinyoung.

And that destroyed any chance of normality Seunghoon once thought he could find.

Jinyoung was talented, Everyone could see it. He'd been at the tower far longer than Seunghoon had been. Not only was he talented in his studies, but he had passion. A passion to learn everything, to be involved in all aspects of magic. Fearless and not hampered by the expectations of the other students. He worked fine on his own, and had no qualms with setting out on his own if needed. Seunghoon envied that easy confidence he had.

They were surprisingly fast friends honestly. Seunghoon knew the other students thought of him as just trailing behind Jinyoung, but it was okay. Together, they had enough skill and finesse with magic that the other students' opinions didn't really matter.

At least for Seunghoon it didn't.

Perhaps it all started with the Harrowings. Their fellow students were slowly being taken in and either vanishing, or coming back as full fledged mages. Among those neither he or Jinyoung. Or maybe it was Hana. Hana had been in the tower for less time than either of them, and she was fantastic. Jinyoung had followed her around like a puppy for a while. Seunghoon was forgotten he recalled as Jinyoung and Hana worked together on studying. And Jinyoung flourished. The praise of their instructors, the students, they all noted how skilled Hana and Jinyoung were.

But then Hana went through her Harrowing.

And stopped talking with Jinyoung.

Seunghoon assumed that being a full mage takes you away from the apprentices and younger students. It would make sense. But Jinyoung didn't seem to believe that. Whatever the case, despite Hana now being gone, Jinyoung and Seunghoon didn't really continue their friendship as before. Seunghoon still counted Jinyoung as he closest friend, but he often caught Jinyoung secluding himself in his studies. There were even times when Seunghoon had caught Jinyoung sneaking around at night, carrying parchments and tomes. Jinyoung never knew, but Seunghoon chose to not mention it to anyone. Surely Jinyoung was just preparing for his own Harrowing.

Yes, life at the Circle wasn't horrible for Seunghoon. It was quiet. It was solitude. It was a time for him to reflect, and come to terms with his own existance.

But that was not the case for Jinyoung.

Shaken awake in the middle of the night, Seunghoon blearily followed Jinyoung as he ushered his friend down the quiet halls to a space in the library they used to hide out together to read tomes.

"Jin what in in the Maker are we doing here?"

"Hoonie, listen to me," he urged him, looking over his shoulder constantly while speaking quietly, "they're going to make me into a tranquil!"

"What?" Seunghoon was fully awake now, "why would they?"

"I-I don't know but I was just with the others and then they started chanting and, and then thee was soe screams and-!"

"Jinyoung," a firm, resolute voice said from behind them. The boys both froze as heavy footsteps followed. A small contingent of templars, lead by none other than Seokmin had assembled in the library. How they had not heard the clanking of their armor sooner Seunghoon couldn't be certain. But Seokmin, helment tucked under one arm, stood there. Looking almost sad, but still as composed as ever, he raised his sword and pointed it towards Jinyoung.

"No! I didn't do it!" He pleaded, getting to his feet and turning to run. But their dark corner of the library was just that: a corner. With nowhere to run, Jinyoung instead pulled Seunghoon in front of him, gripping his arms tightly, "Hoon! I didn't do it! Believe me!"

Before Seunghoon could even ask what he may or may not have done, the templars surged behind them. Seunghoon was pushed aside, hitting the shelves with a hard thud. He slid to the floor, watching as the templars grabved Jinyoung and began to haul him away. All the while Jinyoung was protesting loudly, proclaiming his innocence. Seunghoon made one move to go help him, but Seokmin was already before him, holding up a hand to stop him.

"Think carefully Seunghoon. You do not know everything. Come with me to the first enchanter. We will need to know what he's told you." Seunghoon paused, looking between Seokmin, and to the struggling from of Jinyoung between two templars dragging him away. Jinyoung broke away for a mere moment, and the templar closest to him broke an armored fist crashing against his face, Seunghoon shouted for him to stop, the sparks of magic begining to come to life in his hand as he did so.

And then the tower shook. A deep rumble from somewhere, and then the far wall of the library exploded. Books and stone flew everywhere, forcing all in the room to fall to the ground either from the aftershocks or to protect themselves. Soon the shouting of voices and continued explosions continued all around them. Seunghoon felt himself get pulled up to his feet, debris falling from his hair.

"Hoon run!" Jinyoung was pulling him along. The pair were running through the Circle Tower's halls, dodging around other mages and some templars. Most looked to be in confusion, many in their sleeping clothes. Jinyoung didn't look back once: he just kept a hold on Seunghoon as they zigged and zagged through the other residents of the tower. Somewhere Seunghoon heard shouts of "uprising!" and "you will not stop us!". Other voices were commanding all mages to cease their actions, to return to their rooms...and then there were more explosions. Screams of pain. The smell of smoke and burning. And Seunghoon felt faint.

"Watch it!" Jinyoung suddenly stopped and shoved Seunghoon back just as another wall exploded right in front of them. Seunghoon fell back with Jinyoung falling atop of him. After moment, the dust settled, and Jinyoung lay motionless on him.

"Jin? Jin!" Seunghoon shook his friend until Jinyoung groaned and opened his eyes, lifting his head up to look at Seunghoon. Blood had begun to trickled down from a wound on the side of his head. Jinyoung tried to push himself off Seunghoon, but fell back down with a groan. Coaxing him to help a little, Seunghoon managed to get Jinyoung off of him. Using the wall as a support, Seunghoon helped Jinyoung up to his feet, and brought one of his arms over his shoulders.

Now supporting Jinyoung, Seunghoon carefully made their way towards...well, towards anything. Seunghoon spared a moment to look behind them at the chaos. The ground had bodies, both mages he knew and didn't, and templars were rushing out. Sparks of lightning and blossoms of ice erupted from somewhere father down the halls. Battle was clearly happening.

Walking away from the chaos, Seunghoon kept urging Jinyoung to talk to him. The other boy mumbled in response, one hand to the injury on his head, trying to keep pace with Seunghoon. Where would they go? Seunghoon tried to determine where they were now. Were they closer to the east or west? Were they near the stairs? Should he go to the templars? The templars could protect them...a groan from Jinyoung quickly silenced that idea. No. No they needed to get out.

It was slow going, but Jinyoung was gaining some speed back, and they were making progress. The chaos seemed to stay behind them, thank the Maker. To his relief, there were the stairs in front of him. No one was trying to escape, no templars were rushing out, they could get down to the bottom level from here.

"Hold it Seunghoon!" The all to familiar voice of Seokmin made him freeze again. At his side, Jinyoung seemed to wake more at the voice.

"Don't let them make me tranquil Hoon...please..."

"Seunghoon," Seokmin's calm voice called out again, "listen to me. I know you have nothing to do with what is happening here. You are a good mage, or will be once your harrowing is completed. But Jinyoung must answer for what he has done."

"But I didn't!" Hoonie believe me!" Jinyoung finally found his voice to protest. Seunghoon slowly turned them to face Seokmin. His helmet had been replaced, and sword and shield were drawn accordingly, "I didn't do it!"

"Has he told you?" Seokmin continued calmly, taking a step forward towards the pair, "That he has been meeting with some of the other mages? Practicing in the arts that we are expressly forbidden from doing?"

"You're lying! It wasn't me!"

"Seunghoon. Jinyoung stands accused of blood magic. Do you understand?"

"Hoon it wasn't me!"

"These same mages are also the ones responsible for what is happening now. Do you understand Seunghoon? Seunghoon look at me."

Blood magic. The magic that uses the pain and blood of others to fuel the powers that be. The Circle teaches that it is magic not to be tampered with. There is never a time when blood magic is acceptable...

Seunghoon spared a glance at Jinyoung. His friend looked back at him pleadingly.

Seunghoon took a step back, freeing one of his arms as he began to metnally conjure a ball of energy into his hand...

Only for Seokmin to shout out in surprise when he was thrown forward by a blast of fire from behind him. Standing there, looking determined and surprised at the same time, was Hana.

"H-Hana..." Jinyoung muttered out, a small hint of happiness seeping through his words.

"There's a break in the wall downstairs. I don't think the templars know about it yet. You can get out through there." She spared a sympathetic look at Seunghoon before looking to Jinyoung and narrowing her eyes, "Don't be a fool." And she then rushed back in towards the tower. Seokmin remained in the ground, unmoving except for the slight rise in his body when he breathed.

And with that, Seunghoon and Jinyoung escaped the Circle of Magi.

 

Another militiaman fell to the ground, rubbing his arm where the training sword had impacted him. He looked up at his current opponent, and cringed a little at the racous laughter that came from him. Youngbae really got a kick out of these training sessions with the militiamen and guardsmen. At leadt with the young ones. The more seasoned veterans weren't nearly as easy to topple over, nor were their reactions nearly as funny. Youngbae laughted out loud again before reaching down to pull the poor fellow to his feet.

"Come on! Stop trying to hit me and actually hit me!" He turned to the other three young recruits, "Next!"

The next few rounds followed similary results. One actually managed to land a good blow on Youngbae's shield, but only succeeded in Youngbae turning that on him and shield bashing him back to the ground. The castle courtyard was filled with echpes of his taunts and laughter all afternoon.

The land of Arl Bang of Myna, a small arling located towards West Hill past Highever. Thanks to the intelligence and political savvy of Arl Bang, the arling had thrived while some faltered just a little. He was steadily becoming a prominent figure in Ferelden. Even the Empress of Oralis had taken notice of him and some even assumed he would have the support of her should he desire to make himself more prominent in the court of the Ferelden king.

But for now, Arl Bang was content to further the climate of his home first. And with that came a very real concern of him and his advisors: a successor. With the Arl supporting the Teryns, who then support the king of Ferelden, Arl Bang had to ensure his legacy lived on without issue. The possibly future of his clan hanged in this decision, and-

Youngbae really didn't like to think of it too much. His father had tried on many occasions to bring him to his meetings with the Teryns and even once to Denerim to meet the king. But Youngbae really didn't do well in those things. He was much better where he was at right now: teaching some young punks how to properly handle a sword! No one would argue that Youngbae was not skilled with the sword and shield. The guard captains had long ago realized the best person to have train their newest recruits was the Arl's son. Youngbae didn't have any need for finesse. Ha. No. He just needed to go at them head on, and they learned very quikcly they're little "tactics" did little when they couldn't even see a shield bash coming.

"Again!" He laughed when the third recruit went down.

"Milord, I think we...we...we can't," one gasped from where he was on the ground.

"We need a...a break..." Another dragged himself up and waved at the Arl's son, "we need a rest. Can we resume training tomorrow?"

"Fine," Youngbae waved them off. He returned the training gear to the stand where he was met by his brother, Joowon.

Joowon leaned on the rack, looking equal parts amused and judging. Youngbae had to admit: the abilities of the three did leave something to be wanting. If those were the future of his militia or guards, he should be worried! Joowon handed Youngbae his shirt. Ha, he totally forgot he didn't even need traiing armor for these kids!

"You should be more careful," Joowon chided, though he kept an amused smile on his face, "one false move, and you could have cracked a rib."

"They didn't have a chance!" He replied while pulling his shirt on, "Besides, it's way too hot to be in all that armor!"

"True I suppose."

"What are you doing here anyhow? Up for a training round?"

"Oh no, I wouldn't dream of it," he bowed to Youngbae ever so slightly, "I wouldn't stand a chance against you!"

"Of course you wouldn't!" He laughed and clapped his brother on the shoulder. Joowon mocked injury, earning him another laugh from Youngbae, before the pair made their way back into the castle, "What have you been up to this morning?"

"I sat in with the Arl in your stead with his meeting with a few of the Banns. I made sure they knew you were busy with the training of new recruits, and you sent me in your stead."

"Uh...yeah. Thanks!"

"Speaking of the banns," Joowon motioned to a window where a young woman was sitting, chatting with someone else out of sight, "I believe a certain Bann Gyutae's daughter is here to see you."

Han Jinah, daughter of Bann Han Gyutae, was radiant. She laughed softly, glancing out the window and smiling openly when she realized Youngbae was staring at her. She waved, leaning out the window to call down to him.

"Bae," she sang out, "will you come meet me in the gardens in an hour? I have something I would like to discuss with you."

"Of course!" Youngbae said a little too eagerly, making Joowon shake his head and Jinah just laugh more. She waved farewell and returned into the castle. Joowon had to practically shove Youngbae to get his attention again.

"If you would permit me, milord," he pronounced the 'milord' in an exaggerated fashion, "what are your...intentions with Lady Jinah?"

"What?" He looked to Joowon in confusion, "I'm going to meet her in the gardens."

"No, that's not what I meant. You're the Arl's son. She is the daughter of one of his most loyal bannermen. You should not make these encounters so casual," he looked at Youngbae, waiting for an answer. Youngbae only managed a short shrug, to which Joowon sighed and shook his head, "you know very well that your father-"

"OUR father," Youngbae quickly corrected.

It was no secret in the castle. Joowon, while being the Arl's son, was not his legitimate son. He was actually the child of a maid servant who passed away a long time ago. While the Arl never never denied that he had this affair, or that Joowon was in fact his son, is was never proclaimed officially. Youngbae never understood that. Yes, it was a bad thing that he cheated on Youngbae's mother, but Joowon was still his son and Youngbae's brother.

Joowon simply waved off his comment, and continued his tirade.

"What I'm saying is that your are the Arl's son. I've seen you flirt with maids and soldiers alike, let alone the daughters of the others in your father's court. But in the end, you are the ARL'S SON. Your final choice in partner is not yours alone."

"...I don't...get what you're trying to tell me," Youngbae scratched his neck, feeling ever so slightly uncomfortable with the content of this conversation.

"Youngbae," Joowon placed his hands on his shoulders, his face for once serious, "okay, brother, listen to me carefully. Jinah is the daughter of one of the most loyal of your father's men. But he is also one of the poorest. He has few troops, few resources, and even fewer extended family to support him. The Han family, while loyal, only gains from this relationship." Joowon gave him a look Youngbae knew at this point in their lives means 'do you understand the words coming out of my mouth?'.

"...you want me to...?"

"Stop seeing Lady Jinah as anything but an aquaintance. I know you've already taken her maidenhood," Joowon rolled his eyes when Youngbae made a gagging sound at his phrasing, "but it must end there. What if your father wants you to marry one of the Teryn's daughters? What about The Lee or Song family? They have vast lands with resources and all with young, beautiful daughters. You would do well with matching with them."

"I don't WANT to match with them though," Youngbae swatted Joowon's hands away, beginning to walk away from his brother, "This is dumb. What does my father being Arl have to do with any of this? Jinah is the girl I-"

"This has everything to do with it. You can't be just a lovesick boy," the younger stopped him again, "You don't have to be cruel. You can end it gently. Just do it before it escalates out of control. Do you understand what I'm telling you? If you expect to be the next Arl, you have to consider these things."

"...maybe I don't..." Youngbae muttered befroe seeing Joowon's widen his eyes ever so slightly, "No, I understand. I'll...I'll do it..." All energy and joy he might have felt from the previous training session left him at once. Youngbae felt like he hadn't slept in days suddenly. Joowon signed and patted his back sympathetically, mentioning he was doing the right thing in all this.

The next hour felt like agony. Youngbae actually arrived at the gardens after his discussion with Joowon. He paced, he picked at random leaves, he shooed off any servants who tried to see if he needed anything.

Truly he understood. More than likely, he would need to have an arranged marriage. And Jinah was not going to be that person. This was for the best. Jinah would move on and meet someone else more suited for her. He would be the son his father wanted, the Arl everyone expected, and things would be fine. Yes. Fine. Everything would be good and fine after this-

"Bae?"

"SHYEAHNHGF!!!" Youngbae let out a 'manly' shriek and tripped over his own feet. Jinah leaned over him, giggling and offering her hand to help him up.

"My apologies milord," she curtsied when he was back on his feet before reaching out to pick out leaves and a twig from his hair, dusting some other dried greenery from his clothing, "Are you okay? I didn't know you were so jumpy today."

"N-No I'm f-fine!" He stammered out a little too quickly. Jinah good humoured expression faded to one of concern.

"Youngbae, is everything okay?"

"Yes! Of course!" He laughed a little, feeling his hands fidgeting and quickly placing them behind his back in a poor attempt at hiding them.

"If you say so," Jinah motioned for him to follow her, "come sit with me. I...I need to talk with you about some things. It's about...well, it's about us." Youngbae followd her obediently, sitting on a stone bench near the back of the garden, "okay, so...things are...complicated. Well, they just got a lot more complicated. I understand your rank, don't think I don't, but...oh Youngbae, you see-"

"We need to stop seeing each other," he said quickly. Jinah stared at him in shock. Aha, he knew it. Joowon was right. Even Jinah seemed to understand what it meant for them to be the children of nobles. She as always so smart.

"O-Oh..."

"Because I'll need to marry someone else eventually. So we should just stop this now, right?"

"Um...yeah...sure..." Any trace of Jinah's good humor faded immediately, her face downturned as she stared at her hands folded on her lap. Youngbae made a tentative reach to take her hand but Jinah moved them away and stood quickly, "Of course. Well then. Today was going to be my only day in your home milord. My father nad I return to our lands tomorrow. I will see you at the next function. Good day." Before Youngbae could ask anything further, Jinah excused herself and left him alone in the garden.

Good. She was fine with it. Joowon was right of course. And she was okay with it. Jinah understood.

But that didn't stop the tears from beginning to fall from his eyes he had to stubbornly rub away.

 

Three figures sit atop a rooftop in Myna. The streets beneath them bustle with activity common for this time of day. Each wears mask, a simple silver thing, and brown cloaks hiding their simple black clothing beneath.

"Hmm," the man said while watching the elven woman walking with her son through the market, "are you sure that's the one?"

"Definitely. Myna doesn't have many elves," the second man motioned to the woman, "nor do they have many half-elven children," he motioned to the taller, very human looking son, "that is absolutely the woman and boy in question."

"So what now?"

"We keep an eye on them. Soon the Arl will announce his intention of naming his heir. The celebrations will be a good time to make our move."

"What about the bard? Celene won't like our interference if it does anything to the naming of the heir. It's a dangerous move we make here, within the Game."

"It is not the Game that troubles me," the woman says, looking up into the sky, "something else stirs here. If we are lucky, maybe we can escape after these political machinations are done. My dream haunt me: there is something coming. And I don't know what it might be." As if on cue, the clouds began to darken as a cool wind passed through the city. Rain was coming. Hopefully the storm would not be too great for them to weather.